Thread: What Would Skeletor Do?: Diabolical Ways to Master the Universe (new book 6/4/19)

What Would Skeletor Do?: Diabolical Ways to Master the Universe (new book 6/4/19)

I saw somebody post about this in another thread, but felt it was worthy of it's own thread. The book is currently scheduled to come out on 4/23/19 from the same person that was going to release "He-Man's Guide to Mastering Your Universe: You Have the Power!". This one sounds a little better.

Description on Amazon:
    Filled with earnest quotes, snarky observations, episode recaps, inspirational mantras, and classic images readers with fond memories of the 1980s classic cartoon He-Man and the Masters of the Universe! will use the wit and wisdom found in this affordable and affable volume to launch their own plans toward planetary domination.

Thanks to its multitude of dynamic characters and rich fantasy and science-fiction storytelling, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe has resonated with fans for more than thirty years. Skeletor, He-Man's evil nemesis in the show, remains an icon of villainy for generations who grew up hearing his cackle.

Now, for the first time, all of the diabolical wit and wisdom gleaned from Skeletor's unrelenting campaign to wreak havoc on the planet Eternia are collected into one practical, and practically hilarious, volume. This fully authorized, comical, and empowering guide places the evil Skeletor in a variety of troubling scenarios that will be familiar to any reader--from 'Family and Frenemies' to 'Career' and 'Downtime'--and asks the all-important question: What Would Skeletor Do? Combining words of devilish wisdom with appropriate (or inappropriate!) pictures from the original cartoons, this book lets Skeletor tell you how to handle any awkward situation with aplomb. With tongue planted very firmly in cheek, What Would Skeletor Do? is the perfect inspirational resource for pop-culture aficionados of all ages.
    https://www.amazon.com/What-Would-Sk...999576&sr=1-11

There is so much awesome stuff coming out late this year and next year. I think an Evil-Lyn book would be so cool - how about How To Bump Off Your Boss And Not Get Caught. Of course I am just kidding.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Hey, check out this Hardie Grant Publishing (Australia) catalog.

https://issuu.com/hardiegrantpublish...kit_2019_small

Do a search for "Masters of the Universe" or go to pages 158-162.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

It looks like the release date got changed to 6/4/19 in the US.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It looks like the release date got changed to 6/4/19 in the US.
    It looks like it is never going to happen. Just like the He-Man book by the same author that sat in limbo for years before it was cancelled and this was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    It looks like it is never going to happen. Just like the He-Man book by the same author that sat in limbo for years before it was cancelled and this was announced.
    That's a shame. This one sounds really fun.

But you can preorder it now to receive it on its release date...6/4/19. I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    But you can preorder it now to receive it on its release date...6/4/19. I'm confused.
    The same author proposed a He-Man version of this book years ago. Just like this book, it was available for pre-order on Amazon, but sat in limbo for two years before Amazon cancelled it, because it was never coming out.

The same author proposed a He-Man version of this book years ago. Just like this book, it was available for pre-order on Amazon, but sat in limbo for two years before Amazon cancelled it, because it was never coming out.
    But who has said that this is not coming out because it's on pre-order.

It's still.showing up on my Amazon wish list.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    But who has said that this is not coming out because it's on pre-order.
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    It's still.showing up on my Amazon wish list.
    The book went up for pre-order in 2015. It was supposed to be published in 2016. It is now four years since the pre-order went up, and the book still has not been published. But that has not stopped the author from offering a Skeletor version of the same book for pre-order on Amazon, even though he has yet to fulfill the first one. Sorry, but it does not take over four years to write and publish a 96-page book. The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior, and if this author cannot get his act together to publish 96 pages by now, then this Skeletor book is never going to happen.

Heroic Warrior
    The book went up for pre-order in 2015. It was supposed to be published in 2016. It is now four years since the pre-order went up, and the book still has not been published. But that has not stopped the author from offering a Skeletor version of the same book for pre-order on Amazon, even though he has yet to fulfill the first one. Sorry, but it does not take over four years to write and publish a 96-page book. The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior, and if this author cannot get his act together to publish 96 pages by now, then this Skeletor book is never going to happen.
    How do we know it's the author fault and not Mattel/DreamWorks putting the kibosh on these books for whatever reason (disapproval on the final drafts/ideas)?

We're taking life advice from the villains now? Well, I suppose if Outlaw Scuzz can do a PSA, Skeletor can be a self-help guru.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesmai View Post
    How do we know it's the author fault and not Mattel/DreamWorks putting the kibosh on these books for whatever reason (disapproval on the final drafts/ideas)?
    If that was the case, any rights issue that prevented him from using He-Man would also prevent him from using Skeletor. If he is clear to use Skeletor now, then where is the He-Man book?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Apparently the Skeletor book did get a release. A fan in Melbourne got it from some store.

3BD4915B-318C-4848-8D4E-A146A07F5E63.jpeg
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Got my copy in the mail today and have already read it. It's a short read -- 10 minutes tops. Each spread features a screen-grab from the FILMation cartoon with some words of advice from Skeletor.

First, the good:
    - The book itself would make a hilarious conversation starter. It's small (like 6" x 8"), but imagine having company over and they see this on your coffee table. You can't help but smile.
    - The cover (it's hardcover) and overall paper quality are really nice. Seriously, the cover is the best thing about the book (and I don't mean that as a slight -- the artwork and title alone are worth the price of admission).
    - I did chuckle several times while reading it.

Having said that, my main criticism:
    - This is basically an "advice" book written from Skeletor's POV (or at least, that's ostensibly what it is), but only a few of the entries really have Skeletor's voice. Most of them set up a basic premise ("Thinking about a new romance?") and then throw out advice that is opposite of what helpful people would say ("Don't, because witches be crazy.") Only a few of these entries really sound like something Skeletor would actually say. And some of them aren't bad advice at all ("Don't skip leg day," "A little manscaping goes a long way") but also aren't something Skeletor would say. It would've been more in keeping with Skeletor's character to have him react negatively to inane questions and have his answers devolve into an endless, hilarious tirade against He-Man, Castle Grayskull, etc. All of the advice is paired up with grainy cartoon screenshots that correspond with the advice itself (i.e., the "manscaping" entry is paired with a shot of He-Man apparently looking at his fingernails, the "Witches be crazy" answer shows Skeletor and Evil-Lyn holding hands), and I like this approach, but I think it would work better in a book titled "Things I Learned on Eternia" than "What Would Skeletor Do?" A minor nit, maybe, but it would be more consistent.

Cover price is $14.95 but I got it for around $10 at Barnes and Noble. For that price, it's totally worth it. Like I said, the book looks great and the cover/title alone brings a big smile. But it's not something you'll be reading over and over again for the humor. Had this been a TRUE Skeletor advice book, where you could read it and say, "Yep, that's how Skeletor would answer that question," or "Yep, Skeletor would dismiss that question as a colossal waste of time and call you a boob for asking it," it might've been comedy gold for a MOTU fan. As it is, it's worth a few grins, and I'm ALWAYS glad to see new MOTU content published.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

I got mine today. I was actually expecting full pages of content (like the She-Ra books)... not screenshots from the Filmation cartoon with small paragraphs of advice. I could follow "Skeletor is Love" on Facebook for the same type of material, but for free. Next time, I won't jump the gun on getting a book like this.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX