Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 1 talkback and discussion - *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Heroic Warrior
    Loved when the mask of shadow broke.

Spolier:

You also could see some of jer real face in castas house ib tje portrait

I watched the first 8 episodes last night, and I LOVE IT! Thanks for posting the picture of the Star Sisters. I kept pausing through the Princess Prom episode in those crowd scenes, but somehow missed those. I love their prom designs, so I can't wait to see what their regular designs will be.

I also found the Entrapta episode to lose me a little.

I was not prepared for how FUNNY this show is. I love it! I ADORE Seahawk. I can't believe how much I LOVE Glimmer and Bow! Really loving voice performances in this show. I do love Entrapta's voice. It's hilarious. Madame Razz was incredible. I ADORED her. I can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes tonight, and I hope they post more episodes soon - like within the next 3 months and not wait a year or something.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!" - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

WANT: Twiggets, Hunga, Josh, Joya/Bubblerina, King Ahgo, Wise Old Wizardess,
    Crimson Fury, Melog, Kowla, Red Eye, Staghorn, ALL New Adventures, Sharella,
    Gray, Kittrina, Melaktha, Miranda, Lt. Andra, Illumina, Lady Slither, MYP Evil-Lyn,
    MYP Sorceress, King Miro, Songster, Scrollos, Kayla, Skeleteen

Heroic Warrior
    I also loved how at first entrapra ...

Spoiler:

was on the good side amd later on the bad.
    I think we will see more from this.

The background art is lovely, and some of the music has an 80s flavour, which is nice. The character designs are a barrier to enjoyment because everyone looks so awkward and bland. She-Ra looks more like the lead singer of the Stingers than the Princess of Power.

Turning beloved characters from the original series and toyline into inanimate objects is not cool.

Binged the show and loved every second of it. The only episode that was a bit hard to watch for me was the Entrapta one, I kind of found it dragged a little bit and was the weakest of them all.

The voice acting is pretty good, though Entrapta's voice and Shadow Weaver's voices are not exactly to my liking but I can make do with them.

Apart from that, I'm pretty much happy with everything about this show. The character designs are easy to get over once you see them all in action.

Also, poor Kyle. Why do I have a feeling he'll end up as a Horde experiment in the future and become a pretty powerful warrior seeking revenge on everyone who made fun of him?

Here's to hoping the show does well enough so that we can enjoy more ADVENTURE! And that we get episodes as quickly as the Voltron ones.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    I also loved how at first entrapra ...

Spoiler:

was on the good side amd later on the bad.
    I think we will see more from this.
    Re: Entrapta

Yeah she kind of had a reverse Adora arc, didn't she? It made sense that she ended up with the Horde. I don't know if I liked all of how it went down, but it's cool that they did that with a character. And I think you're right, there will be a lot more shifting of allegiances in this new version.
    My podcast (note: very political, very bad jokes): http://www.nerdologues.com/podcasts/...gressive-power

Finished the entire season. Man the first half is slow in comparison to the second. But at the same time the second feels a bit rushed, like they were racing to jam the exposition in there, but without revealing too much of their future plans. But there were definitely some fun episodes and some interesting revelations made. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that

Madame Razz is an elderly Mahra, the previous She-Ra.
    Hopefully the next season will cool it a bit with the existential crisis for the characters a bit, however.

Not sure how I feel about Light Hope. Oh the one hand, the idea of her being an artificial intelligence is neat, but she doesn't seem a particularly helpful one considering she's trying to get She-Ra to sequester herself WHILE THE HORDE IS THROWING EVERYTHING OUT OF BALANCE.

Catra was the jewel of this season, particularly when she finally decided what she wanted. It's rare you see the whole "friendship is power" thing so wickedly twisted. Even rarer that you can feel sympathy for a villainess and still hate her for being a tool. I will ask though, doesn't Brightmoon have it's own army? Why was the defensive force suddenly limited to Horsey and his Teen Angels?

So Etheria is a settlement and somehow Pre-Ra managed to move it to Despondos. I have to wonder why.
    Sure Light Hope says she lost her way and couldn't let go of her attachments, but given this show's themes and message, does anyone buy that's going to be presented as a bad thing? Chances are there's more to the story than a warrior going mad with power. Especially if the Eternians simply settled Etheria and somehow used their runestones to change its environment to their liking. Could that be why Loo-Kee is always hiding?

But now we're left wondering what will happen with Shadow Weaver's fall and Catra's ascension.

It is interesting that Lonny and Kyle have both maintained a presence on the show as part of Catra's squad, along with lizard dude (seriously, where are the Horde getting the lizard guys because they seem about as prevalent as the humans?). Even more so that Lonny seems to have an actual sense of honor shown in Catra's flashback.

Color me ready for season 2.

PS. Did anyone notice Imp seems to be a living recorder this time around? Weird.
    Last edited by Asher Tye; November 14, 2018 at 01:27pm.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Just watched the first two episodes, and I'm thrilled. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, and I'm super-excited to have something new unfolding in the She-Ra world!

I don't know who this "Shearer" they keep referring to in the Dreamworks series is but I hope they find her soon. ��

I've watched the first 3 episodes and, so far, it's pretty enjoyable! My biggest issue is that I don't particularly care for the art style.

Widget
    Halfway through and loving it.

Interesting new storyline, that keeps me watching.

While it kind of makes sense that calling on the power of Greyskull fuels the swordwielder with testosterone it still feels weird that Adora takes on male aspects as She-Ra. Hopefully it will feel normal towards the end of the season.

I also don't like the intro, but apart from that, the show is stellar.

Did anyone else get Korra vibes from this renditions of Adora. Sure she's never a jerk like Korra was, but her fish out of water traits and being down on herself for not thinking she lives up to the ideal of She-ra, seem very reminiscent Korra, to me.

3 episodes in and I love it. I liked the nod to FILMation just before the first episode kicked in. Did anyone else see Kowl and Loo Kee?

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the series. As an anime fan too, I like the animation style. I'll always love FILMation era, but I'm digging the new She Ra too.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

Unapologetic TEELA fan.
    Check out some of my resin toys! some cool stuff coming soon! http://lordchaoscreations.bigcartel.com/
    This one goes up to 11... When Cannons Fade

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderkill View Post
    3 episodes in and I love it. I liked the nod to FILMation just before the first episode kicked in. Did anyone else see Kowl and Loo Kee?

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the series. As an anime fan too, I like the animation style. I'll always love FILMation era, but I'm digging the new She Ra too.
    Saw both. Have to wonder if the actual characters will appear.

Widget
    This show is basically drama. They hardly have any adventure, most the episodes are almost all talking with one quick fight.
    They should've done it as a live action. That would be more forgivable about the little action the show has.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Saw both. Have to wonder if the actual characters will appear.
    I did too! I'm pretty sure Razz was talking about Loo-kee at one point in a way that actually had me wondering if the actual character was supposed to be hidden in the background like the old show (which apparently was not the case). It seems like I've seen hate on the forums in years past in regard to the Loo-kee aspect of the old show, but as a kid I always thought that was brilliant!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'd say my reaction is mixed. I didn't love it, but I also didn't hate it. Crappy redesigns, but an okay story that picks up after the prom episode. I do like that Catra actually does things and I like the characters of Frosta, Mermista and Scorpia, just wish they were new characters instead.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I did too! I'm pretty sure Razz was talking about Loo-kee at one point in a way that actually had me wondering if the actual character was supposed to be hidden in the background like the old show (which apparently was not the case). It seems like I've seen hate on the forums in years past in regard to the Loo-kee aspect of the old show, but as a kid I always thought that was brilliant!
    Sadly no real Loo-kee in the background that I could see, but Razz seems being set up as someone more than she appears to be. That crazy character who actually is telling the absolute truth. She did manage to talk to Swift Wind, after all, so who's to say both Broom and Loo-Kee aren't more than figments of her imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Spaceman View Post
    She-Ra looks more like the lead singer of the Stingers than the Princess of Power.
    Haha, nice comparison! Also Light Hope reminds me of Synergy.

Heroic Warrior
    Light hope looks like grace Jones in James bond

Heroic Warrior
    this series just isn't for me.

Episode 3. What the hell did they do to razz?

it feels like someone said 'remember yoda's first meeting with luke? lets just copy that'......only they made razz into a crazed old hermit with no real sense about her. complete with 'flies' buzzing around.

the voice is ok, but the design is horrid. No character in broom anymore. Lookee and Kowl are reduced to art and plushees.

they are taking all the other worldly stuff out of this series. at least 'she-ra' is allowed to talk in episode 3. not just a mindless automa ton.

I also don't like how the power only seems random, or when needed. she can't call on it at will.

Catra did not earn her force captain badge. it was given as punishment for someone else. part of this generations 'trophy for everyone regardless of quality' mentality.

ugh.

she ra deserves better than this mess.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly no real Loo-kee in the background that I could see, but Razz seems being set up as someone more than she appears to be. That crazy character who actually is telling the absolute truth. She did manage to talk to Swift Wind, after all, so who's to say both Broom and Loo-Kee aren't more than figments of her imagination.
    except for her last line of 'who was that girl?'

would seem she's a little crazed due to age. if she is a first one....

there is nothing in this series that gets me hooked. the old one, even without he-man at least had interesting designs and music and effects and voices and..

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post

it feels like someone said 'remember yoda's first meeting with luke? lets just copy that'......only they made razz into a crazed old hermit with no real sense about her. complete with 'flies' buzzing around.

the voice is ok, but the design is horrid. No character in broom anymore. Lookee and Kowl are reduced to art and plushees.

they are taking all the other worldly stuff out of this series. at least 'she-ra' is allowed to talk in episode 3. not just a mindless automa ton.

I also don't like how the power only seems random, or when needed. she can't call on it at will.

Catra did not earn her force captain badge. it was given as punishment for someone else. part of this generations 'trophy for everyone regardless of quality' mentality.

ugh.

- - - Updated - - -

there is nothing in this series that gets me hooked. the old one, even without he-man at least had interesting designs and music and effects and voices and..
    I think it was less "everyone gets a trophy" and more "You promised me a force Captain so you better have spent equal time on both the candidates" thing aimed at Shadow Weaver. It honestly feels like Hordak was already getting tired of Shadow Weaver resting on her laurels when it comes to his orders.

Razz is addled, this is true, but she's also clearly concealing more than she's letting on, especially with what Entraptra shows off later in the season. That obelisk started glowing when she touched it doing her parkor berry picking mission. Something is up with this sweet old lady. I have my theories, but we don't have a thread for discussing wild mass guessings.

Widget
    I also liked the show very much and I'm looking forward to a second season. For me the show started off well, dipped in the middle, and picked up again towards the end. I like the story and secretly wish I could see the original designs in place, but there you go. I really hope that children will enjoy this as much as I did the original when it came out.

Unfortunataly, all the reviews I've seen on youtube are negative, people spending up to an hour shredding the show to pieces, which is very sad. I guess they have nothing better to do.

Heroic Warrior
    You know, tons of people are eager to see He-Man.

But I think it’d be kinda cool if they detoured into He-Ro and King Hiss and just did The Powers of Grayskull as a two-parter.

Any way you approach He-Man in this style will polarize people.

But He-Ro is Adora’s ancestor too so you could conceivably have her connect with him without jumping straight to He-Man, Randor, Skeletor, etc.

And I think He-Ro could be done better in this art style.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    I've been a POP fan since I was a kid, and while this one may have been targeted toward a younger audience I can say unashamedly that I loved it! Among the things that I heartily enjoyed:

• The characters developed nicely as the episodes progressed--hell, even seeming D-Lister Kyle of the Horde got to develop in his exchange with Bow!
    • With the exception of Hordak and Shadow Weaver, the Horde characters were all depicted as complex, flawed beings who weren't acting out of some caricaturized sense of "evilness," but because of the driving desire to connect and find their niche that is experienced by so many who aren't part of the "popular" group--in that way, it was SO much like the vintage POP minicomics, where Catra, Entrapta, Clawdeen and Casta really just wanted to by invited to the party.
    • There finally seems to be a reason for Catra to be so jealous of Adora...and, more importantly (for me), we finally have a voice for Catra that doesn't make me want to shove a 17/18 sounding rod in my...er...well, you get the idea.
    • Swift Wind is depicted as being motivated to save his own kind, a theme which was present in Filmation episodes Unicorn King and Swifty's Baby. I also think his battle for equality parallels Adora's nicely.
    • We got allusions to the vintage Filmation series, 200X, and even the UK comics! Similarly, the idea of Etheria being a planet that depends on enchanted stones for harmonious balance can be traced back to the Filmation episode Something Old, Something New, and the idea of a former ruling council that stood against the Horde invasion can also be traced back to the Filmation series.
    • We finally have people of diverse body sizes, ethnicities, and sexual identities--FFS, Netossa and Spinnerella are finally confirmed partners! We also have a character, in Entrapta, who displays cognitive and social behaviors that imply she's on the spectrum--like every ≈1 in 59 kids in the US.

There's much, much more that I enjoyed--including the threads of how this could one day link to a take on the He-Man side of things--but those are the biggies for me today.

Oh, those things and the fact that my four-year-old niece adored it and binge watched the entire thing in one day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Also, poor Kyle. Why do I have a feeling he'll end up as a Horde experiment in the future and become a pretty powerful warrior seeking revenge on everyone who made fun of him?
    THANK YOU! You are the first person I've seen talk about poor Kyle. He is the unsung hero of the Horde b-squad. I really, really wanted Bow to at least try to encourage him to come with them--I even started building (in my headcanon) ways that he could change his name to Josh, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I watched the first 8 episodes last night, and I LOVE IT! Thanks for posting the picture of

the Star Sisters
    . I kept pausing through the Princess Prom episode in those crowd scenes, but somehow missed those. I love their prom designs, so I can't wait to see what their regular designs will be.
    I did the same thing--and somehow, I STILL missed the ones that Tallstar shared, haha!

I also found the Entrapta episode to lose me a little.
    I think going in to it with a sense that Entrapta was going to be portrayed as someone on the autism spectrum REALLY helped me to gravitate toward her character in this episode. As such, it didn't really take me out of it--but, certainly, your feeling on that episode seems to be more in-line with other viewers than my own, haha!

I was not prepared for how FUNNY this show is. I love it! I ADORE Seahawk. I can't believe how much I LOVE Glimmer and Bow! Really loving voice performances in this show. I do love Entrapta's voice. It's hilarious. Madame Razz was incredible. I ADORED her. I can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes tonight, and I hope they post more episodes soon - like within the next 3 months and not wait a year or something.
    I agree on all of this--in fact, that only voice performances that really let me down, personally, was Sandra Oh as Casta. In fact, Casta was probably my most disliked of the revised character models and, unlike the others, her behaviors seemed so far removed from past incarnations. Also, I have a huge crush on Bow now, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by CringerAtArms View Post
    Halfway through and loving it.

Interesting new storyline, that keeps me watching.

While it kind of makes sense that calling on the power of Greyskull fuels the swordwielder with testosterone it still feels weird that Adora takes on male aspects as She-Ra. Hopefully it will feel normal towards the end of the season.

I also don't like the intro, but apart from that, the show is stellar.
    I'm glad you're enjoying it--though, I'm a bit perplexed as to where you're getting the testosterone element from?

Lah-See (or, at least, a female Kon-seal) appears in the episode,

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post

ugh.

- - - Updated - - -

As I've said, you were never a fan of the original on its own merits, and you seem to find anything female-helmed and with a message of equality to be anathema to your existence, so it's no surprise that you've been against this one from the start.
    Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Facebook

To the Powers that Be: Give me a proper King Miro figure, please!!