Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 1 talkback and discussion - *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I watched the first 3 episodes last night and I really enjoyed it overall! As a kid, I only watched She-ra to see my favorite Horde villains from my toy lines and mini comics. So almost all of the princesses and other male characters are "new" to me. Even so I got a lot of nostalgia from the She-ra transformations. I got a little emotional when I heard Grayskull mentioned but that might have been the whiskey

Overall I really liked what I saw although I agree that some of the voice acting is a little weak. I'm also seeing that almost all roles of leadership or power have been women, which is fine, it's just noticeable.

My prime complaint: Grizzlor in the 3rd episode. Was that supposed to be him? If so I'm extremely disappointed. I understand they want to keep the strong focal characters all female but you didn't have to make him a nobody with an (Australian?) accent. As much as I enjoy the show I'll really hate it if this is what my "Horde" ends up being. I don't mind different, I mind him being weaker and insignificant.

It was episode 3. I really hope that wasn't supposed to be THE Grizzlor though.
    He was credited as Grizzlor in the voice acting credits at the end of the episode, so that is clearly him. Maybe, they added the credit at the last minute but it is definitely there.

I loved this show, to the extent I think it might actually be the absolute best media in the entire MOTU franchise? It got me back to this website which I just realized (embarressedly) that I haven't been to since 2015. Er, oops?

Anyway,
    She-Ra and the Princesses of Power has drawn acclaim for its diversification of the Princesses, and rightly so, considering that not only were the classic Princesses almost all white, thin, Barbie-looking types, but I had trouble telling them apart too, and still kind of do to this day? Changing up their body types, ethnicities and hair styles is a much needed change which vastly improves the texture of Etheria as a setting.

However, I’ve noticed that while many human body types and ethnicities are represented among the Princesses, the fact that all of the major characters of the Rebellion (except Swift Wind) are human, while the Evil Horde contains reptile-people, bear-people, cat-people, and other superficially more monstrous variations, indicates an unhealthy investment in the aesthetics of Beauty as being equal to Goodness, and physical Monstrosity as an element of evil.

In some ways I suppose it's an unavoidable leftover from the fact that back in Ye Olden Times, the Horde was part of the MOTU line whereas the Princesses weren't, and therefore all the POP characters had to be appealing to little girls (which I guess back then meant making them skinny, predominantly white Barbies) while the Horde guys could be more physically diverse. The upshot of it now though is, that's all still the case. The Princesses are designed to appeal to little girls (as they should) by being conventionally pretty while much more of the Horde gets to be physically monstrous, even the pretty ones. It's just that what qualifies as "pretty" is much broader now in a 2018 cartoon made by Brilliant Gay Mastermind Noelle Stevenson than it was in the 80s in a cartoon made moreso by, you know, '80s men.

Of course it goes without saying that the ethnic and body-type diversity is way, waaaay more important than fantasy-creature-diversity, but there's still an aesthetic issue to be addressed here on the Beauty=Goodness side of things, and also it just caught my eye that in Star Wars and other fantasy stories, often it's the heroes that embrace cute monsters and villains who are all human. There are absolutely non-humans in the groups of people, villagers and such, that the Rebellion fights for, but I think all the rebels themselves are human. Hrm.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    He was credited as Grizzlor in the voice acting credits at the end of the episode, so that is clearly him. Maybe, they added the credit at the last minute but it is definitely there.
    Oh dang, awesome catch. A last-minute add would make sense... I don't know why we wouldn't see more of the classic Horde "monsters" just hanging around otherwise. Not that they need to be in the forefront - I loved the character work with Weaver, Catra, and Scorpia.

Maybe we'll see the usual suspects when Hordak steps more into the forefront.
    My podcast (note: very political, very bad jokes): http://www.nerdologues.com/podcasts/...gressive-power

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Well that stinks. One of my favorites is just an afterthought in the series.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

Has anyone noticed how often here the good guys' problems extend from poor decisions previously made? Like how everyone treating Scorpia and her family like they weren't part of the group resulted in the Horde getting a foothold on Etheria and a Runestone? I'm kinda wondering if this is gonna be a theme kept in season 2. (Would love to start a speculation thread for season 2 once enough people have seen the whole season.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Well that stinks. One of my favorites is just an afterthought in the series.
    Just an afterthought NOW. With the ban lifted, he might show up more. Catra gonna need a team to take on the Best Friends Squad.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

It seemed like we were being given hints of things to come in the episode "Light Hope"; specifically the scene where silhouettes of the Princesses appeared as Light Hope was explaining the runestones.

-Interestingly, Spinnerella and Netossa seemingly appear despite not having runestones listed on their bio cards.
    -A silhouette of Scorpia is shown, possibly suggesting that she actually does have a connection to the "The Black Garnet" that was once owned by her family.

I think there's also a silhouette of this character? (Plus others that I don't think have been revealed yet):

unkownprincess.jpg

runestones.jpg
    Last edited by Tallstar; November 15, 2018 at 01:12pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    It seemed like we were being given hints of things to come in the episode "Light Hope"; specifically the scene where silhouettes of the Princesses appeared as Light Hope was explaining the runestones.

-Interestingly, Spinnerella and Netossa seemingly appear despite not having runestones listed on their bio cards.
    -A silhouette of Scorpia is shown, possibly suggesting that she actually does have a connection to the "The Black Garnet" that was once owned by her family.

I think there's also a silhouette of this character? (Plus others that I don't think have been revealed yet):

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...3&d=1542305055

unkownprincess.jpg

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...4&d=1542305166

runestones.jpg
    A lost runestone maybe? Or even a destroyed one?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    As a guy just on this side of 50 and a fan of the original franchises BEFORE the cartoon, I had to take time and seriously look at this thing from all angles. The cons:
    -the characters are not just badly redesigned, but rehashes of American culture cliche stereotypes. Mermista as a goth attitude teen, Perfuma as a hippie, etc.
    -The individual episode plots have no real feel to the situation relevance.
    -Someone explain how humanoid beings in an impoverished rebellion have enough to have that many overweight individuals.
    -Not fond of the change of magic to some advanced tech from millenia ago....especially changing Light Hope into a dang computer program
    - the gay aspect wasnt just touched on, but lavished all through the series involving several characters. I dont mind a group wanting a little rep, but this is stupid overkill for an agenda.

My bias: I wish we could, as a society, go back to giving kids heroes to emulate and look up to....instead of trying to give them screwed up kids they relate to
    . Having characters they can relate to is fine, but not as a hero type. That is like an oxymoron really. I also wish we had writers who use proper speaking scriptology that increases kids vocabulary instead of insisting on dumbing them down. The shows I watched in the 70's as a kid still talked like real adults should. Yes, they had simple ideas as scripts, but they at least didnt sound like kindergarten teacher or grade school student talk. Finally, why was it necessary to change the entire core of each character to make them unrecognizable to old school fans? I get tweaking to fit a modern demographic, but to make them TOTALLY different persons was just not needed.
    The creators of this show seem more interested in talking about the gay aspect of this series than the actual series. you can tell that is where their real passion lies with the enthusiasm and the answers they give.

all your bold points up here are spot on. Etheria doesn't even SEEM like it's war torn. the first three episodes, at least, it seems rather calm, with the horde staying in one place, their own headquarters. the rest of the planet doesn't even seem to be aware of them yet.

Light Hope went from a cool thing of mystery, to a zelda Skyward Sword AI. complete in design copy. nintendo should sue.

All of the mystical ellements or magical creatures like broom seem gone from this series. it's largely human based.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Has anyone noticed how often here the good guys' problems extend from poor decisions previously made? Like how everyone treating Scorpia and her family like they weren't part of the group resulted in the Horde getting a foothold on Etheria and a Runestone? I'm kinda wondering if this is gonna be a theme kept in season 2. (Would love to start a speculation thread for season 2 once enough people have seen the whole season.)

- - - Updated - - -

Just an afterthought NOW. With the ban lifted, he might show up more. Catra gonna need a team to take on the Best Friends Squad.
    I think Noelle Stevenson is specifically focusing on the female characters on the show. I still say she has diminished most of (if not all) the roles of the male characters, reducing them to either blithering idiots, or male damsels, or simps (Bow). I really don't want to believe something so ill, but from what I have seen of modern feminist ideologies, I have to at least entertain that thought.

Either that, or maybe they can't use these characters (Leech, Mantenna, Grizzlor) because of the MOTU/He-Man movie plans. If the Horde is really a part of He-Man's universe, chances are they could be used in a potential live action movie, in which case the She-Ra cartoon would need to be really careful how they show them.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I think Noelle Stevenson is specifically focusing on the female characters on the show. I still say she has diminished most of (if not all) the roles of the male characters, reducing them to either blithering idiots, or male damsels, or simps (Bow). I really don't want to believe something so ill, but from what I have seen of modern feminist ideologies, I have to at least entertain that thought.

Either that, or maybe they can't use these characters (Leech, Mantenna, Grizzlor) because of the MOTU/He-Man movie plans. If the Horde is really a part of He-Man's universe, chances are they could be used in a potential live action movie, in which case the She-Ra cartoon would need to be really careful how they show them.
    There is a definite lessening of male roles, but I can't help but think they wouldn't have dropped so many names if they didn't plan to use them somehow if they could.

Of course this also seems to be telegraphing Catra trying to usurp Hordak for the series finale. I am rather hoping they throw a twist on that.

I'm not so sure about that, while Netflix Bow had the occasional goofy moment he was for the most part portrayed as being the most level headed and mature of the main trio, could hold his own in fight and was generally portrayed as in the right whenever Adora and Glimmer ignored his advice.

Especially when his classic counterpart was a male damsel 90% of the time.

I mean there's an argument to be made for Seahawk getting that kind of treatment, but I would say Bow got treated better than his 80's self for the most part.
    Last edited by A Dalek; November 15, 2018 at 02:51pm.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, while Netflix Bow had the occasional goofy moment he was for the most part portrayed as being the most level headed and mature of the main trio, could hold his own in fight and was generally portrayed as in the right whenever Adora and Glimmer ignored his advice.

I mean there's an argument to be made for Seahawk getting that kind of treatment, but I would say Bow got treated better than his 80's self for the most part.
    I disagree, I still think Bow was a mere tool for the princesses. But I will say that he is loyal to them if nothing else. Seahawk is just a joke at this point, and not a good one. I am hoping that in future seasons they will show a bit of his backstory or have some kind or character arc.

Even though I miss Leech, Mantenna, and Grizzlor being at the forefront, I have to say that I enjoyed Catra, Scorpia, and Entrapta's chemistry. I like how Catra became sort of dark at the end and we can have a more traditional rivalry (not just frenemies).

Despite my issues with some of the themes, over all, I really enjoyed season one!

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post

100% Agreement. I remarked to my fiancee at least once while watching that Bow is the Best Character In the Show. He's funny, clever, compassionate and emotional in a very lovable way. I absolutely love him and the way he both functions as a character and interacts with Glimmer and Adora.

Also, Sea Hawk may have been a joke, but he was a really funny one if nothing else, and I still hold that in fact he's got a connection to the kids, Glimmer in particular, that I'd be sad to miss out on, and that I'm really glad he's around for. No, he's not doing the same thing as in the classic series, but I don't see why that's a huge problem.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricButRebooted View Post
    This feels like such a bizarre thing to say. I'm 34, so in between your generation and the one this show is for, but it seems to me that giving kids heroes who are flawed but work through interpersonal and emotional issues in realistic ways is way more aspirational than showing them some perfect adult with an affected vocabulary and saying "Hey you! Be this!"

Like, as someone from a broken home, even at my age I found Glimmer's dealing with abandoned issues and trauma super moving, and I gotta feel like there are lots of kids watching this going through similar things who will see Glimmer working through those issues and understand they can do the same. And, let's be real, in the original Filmation series, Glimmer was clearly the product of trauma (in "Micah at Bright Moon" she almost has a psychotic break and dances herself off a cliff while daydreaming about her dad), but the writing was too inconsistent to really spend time getting to the core of her character.

(In general I feel like Glimmer and Catra are most well-served by this reboot but that's a whole other post)
    This kind of reminds me of Marvel vs DC. Marvel has it's flawed, human heroes, while DC's heroes tend to be perfect and inspirational, something for people to strive towards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Light Hope went from a cool thing of mystery, to a zelda Skyward Sword AI. complete in design copy. nintendo should sue.
    She reminded me of Synergy from Jem.

I wonder why magic took a backseat this time?

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    The creators of this show seem more interested in talking about the gay aspect of this series than the actual series. you can tell that is where their real passion lies with the enthusiasm and the answers they give.

all your bold points up here are spot on. Etheria doesn't even SEEM like it's war torn. the first three episodes, at least, it seems rather calm, with the horde staying in one place, their own headquarters. the rest of the planet doesn't even seem to be aware of them yet.

All of the mystical ellements or magical creatures like broom seem gone from this series. it's largely human based.
    I have to disagree. New Etheria looks about as war torn as old Etheria was. Its specifically pointed out the two least damaged kingdoms (Brightmoon and Snow) have specific reasons for that to be (Whispering Woods and an active defense for the former, too far out of the way to matter for the latter). Perfuma's kingdom was under siege and prepared to fall while Mermista's was all but abandoned given her last line of defense was failing. And we saw the damage Grizzlor was doing to Whispering woods in "Razz." The problem is the other kingdoms were turning, trying to fight a defensive war and, had things not changed for them, they soon would have found each of their individual runestones being matched by three.

It probably doesn't help that Shadow Weaver seemed more concerned with her own schemes and showing off her abilities than actually conquering anyone

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    She reminded me of Synergy from Jem.

I wonder why magic took a backseat this time?
    Did it though? The main characters are using magi-tech, yes, but we do see some of the non-aligned characters using abilities with no clear connection to First Ones tech.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing that seemed odd is that the main trio apparently sleeps in their outfits, but can change for Prom? And also, why is Adora sporting her old uniform still. Granted OF Adora never changed from her Horde outfit, but that outfit also didn't have a big old horde symbol on its back too.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    I have to disagree. New Etheria looks about as war torn as old Etheria was. Its specifically pointed out the two least damaged kingdoms (Brightmoon and Snow) have specific reasons for that to be (Whispering Woods and an active defense for the former, too far out of the way to matter for the latter). Perfuma's kingdom was under siege and prepared to fall while Mermista's was all but abandoned given her last line of defense was failing. And we saw the damage Grizzlor was doing to Whispering woods in "Razz." The problem is the other kingdoms were turning, trying to fight a defensive war and, had things not changed for them, they soon would have found each of their individual runestones being matched by three.

It probably doesn't help that Shadow Weaver seemed more concerned with her own schemes and showing off her abilities than actually conquering anyone

- - - Updated - - -

Did it though? The main characters are using magi-tech, yes, but we do see some of the non-aligned characters using abilities with no clear connection to First Ones tech.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing that seemed odd is that the main trio apparently sleeps in their outfits, but can change for Prom? And also, why is Adora sporting her old uniform still. Granted OF Adora never changed from her Horde outfit, but that outfit also didn't have a big old horde symbol on its back too.
    A I think she might have traded in her shirt for an otherwise identical one, that lacked the Horde symbol (either that or had it modified to remove the symbol), since there is a scene later on were we see her without her jacket on and the symbol is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    This kind of reminds me of Marvel vs DC. Marvel has it's flawed, human heroes, while DC's heroes tend to be perfect and inspirational, something for people to strive towards.
    Hey man, this is ordinary-lovable-nerd-Clark-Kent erasure! Not to mention Wonder Woman needing to work through the clash between ideal and reality of human behavior in her movie or Batman spending his entire life working through his trauma and never quite getting it right! DC's just as good at the "relatable hero" thing as Marvel is, in the end.

But 'nuff said about that. I definitely agree with EricButRebooted that showing heroes who strive and struggle and eventually triumph through adversity is more likely to mean a lot to kids than overly perfect heroes are. I do think that sometimes "flawed heroes" can go too far, but Glimmer and Adora and everyone else in the new show aren't flawed, they just have traits! The traits that cause them to misunderstand, to make mistakes, to mess up, those are the same traits that make them such good heroes in a lot of cases! Glimmer's impulsive, but that's another way of saying decisive! Sometimes it causes problems but sometimes it really helps! So in short, She-Ra has awesome writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I definitely agree with EricButRebooted that showing heroes who strive and struggle and eventually triumph through adversity is more likely to mean a lot to kids than overly perfect heroes are. I do think that sometimes "flawed heroes" can go too far, but Glimmer and Adora and everyone else in the new show aren't flawed, they just have traits! The traits that cause them to misunderstand, to make mistakes, to mess up, those are the same traits that make them such good heroes in a lot of cases! Glimmer's impulsive, but that's another way of saying decisive! Sometimes it causes problems but sometimes it really helps! So in short, She-Ra has awesome writing.

I disagree with the writing claim. The dialogue is horrendous. The overarcing story design was great, but the dialogue is too stupid. And, the hero aspect was totally misunderstood from my perspective. Hero types that are admired are ones that move and act despite their flaws and recognize them. These so-called 'relatable' characters are whiney, panicky, and thoroughly insecure idiots who would not have succeeded in these scenarios. They have shown Adora overcome these issues multiple times in the series only to keep falling back into it. Teach our kids to keep stepping up and overcoming trials in as many ways as possible to succeed.
    I also agree that Bow's character was played out as the sidekick buffoon boy. Yes, he had moments of skill shown....then he opened his mouth. My other issue wasnt with the environments showing stresses of war, but the characters involved. There was no real proof of conflict other than the rants that Glimmer went on....of all people. The preteen girl has the best emotional reaction to the war of the whole of Etheria? seriously?!
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I hope one of the things/people to come is Flutterina. She doesn't deserve to be left out of all this awesome POP magic. I love the glow around the characters, it's very reminiscent of the glowing Greek Gods in Disney's Hercules movie/series.

Greek Gods.jpg
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

I disagree, I still think Bow was a mere tool for the princesses. But I will say that he is loyal to them if nothing else. Seahawk is just a joke at this point, and not a good one. I am hoping that in future seasons they will show a bit of his backstory or have some kind or character arc.

Even though I miss Leech, Mantenna, and Grizzlor being at the forefront, I have to say that I enjoyed Catra, Scorpia, and Entrapta's chemistry. I like how Catra became sort of dark at the end and we can have a more traditional rivalry (not just frenemies).

Despite my issues with some of the themes, over all, I really enjoyed season one!
    You really seem to want Bow to be crushed under the heel of the women. He's their friend. Etheria has always been portrayed as a mostly Matriarchal planet. He's not a servant, he's not oppressed, he WANTS to help out and he's totally portrayed as level headed, competent and caring AS WELL as goofy and funny.

Sea Hawk is mostly played for laughs (I found his boat burning shtick legitimately funny) so I can see your point there, but with Bow I'm just not on the same page as you.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    I disagree with the writing claim. The dialogue is horrendous. The overarcing story design was great, but the dialogue is too stupid. And, the hero aspect was totally misunderstood from my perspective. Hero types that are admired are ones that move and act despite their flaws and recognize them. These so-called 'relatable' characters are whiney, panicky, and thoroughly insecure idiots who would not have succeeded in these scenarios. They have shown Adora overcome these issues multiple times in the series only to keep falling back into it. Teach our kids to keep stepping up and overcoming trials in as many ways as possible to succeed.
    I also agree that Bow's character was played out as the sidekick buffoon boy. Yes, he had moments of skill shown....then he opened his mouth. My other issue wasnt with the environments showing stresses of war, but the characters involved. There was no real proof of conflict other than the rants that Glimmer went on....of all people. The preteen girl has the best emotional reaction to the war of the whole of Etheria? seriously?!
    Adora only got slapped with the issue of not thinking she wasn't good enough to be She-Ra twice the second time was after a pretty nast string of failures (or atleast things she perceived as failures on her part) combined with the having Catra turn her back on her. Most people can never fully get over their issues they can just learn manage them better.

Adora never stopped trying to do the right thing in spite of her issues throughout the season and acted selflessly even when things were getting to her.

Its a great series , that took way too long to make a comeback . I hope its more successful than 20XX .

I watched the first 7 episodes last night . I hope I see leech and mantenna . Its a very nice engaging story and keeps dragging me . The animation needs getting used to . Imp is seriously creepy looking . I suppose since Adora has no loved ones to protect , Only 3000 others know this secret XD

How old are these girls supposed to be ? They seem to be teenagers minus curves and girl parts . At what age does Etherian puberty kick in ? I know they are aliens but ....
    SHE RA is commented to being 8 ft tall , still no curves . Angela and Castaspella have curves umm little bit at least so whats the problem ? They are swopping the unrealistic barbie figure for an unrealistic androgynous figure . Glimmer is shaped like a penguin yet her mum has an unrealistic supermodel figure . I think they are trying to make Adora seem more feminine by having chubby best friend with horrible looking hair standing next to her every episode which i find unfair to Glimmer and offensive to plus size folk. Yay Bow is showing us his belly but he seems to like girls . He had very interesting bathing clothes in Mystacor ....
    I kinda understood that modern day low quality animation is due budget being diverted towards multiple social and psychological red tape inspections to protect children yadda yadda . These "girls'' do not seem to be a healthy alternative to supermodels .

I dont have a problem the over compensating of racial diversity probably because a certain blue eye , blonde haired character . Its not her fault she was born that way . I am kinda sad that Natossa did not have a radical change too. I assume the little eskimo girl on the intro is Frosta ? Thats just inappropriate stereotyping XD .

That wierd shadow beneath everyones eyes .... Does that really make a difference in giving the face shape which i assume is the purpose .

I kinda think Perfuma is an improvement ,
    Mermista,s tail fin is way too small to function
    I wonder if Entrapta is going to join the dark side since she was evil in the original cartoon.
    I guess Cat Ra,s multi colour eyes remind us that she is crazy .
    Scorpia is obviously a Russian athlete forced to take steroids disproving Entrapta,s comment about the rarity of 8ft girls .
    Madam Razz looks awesome , an improvement .
    I am 50/50 about Hordak and Shadow Weaver
    Poor Swifty does not get much screen time .
    I like light hope having a face . He/She was very hard to relate to in the classic toons

If I do have a wee gripe it's that there is no memorable transformation sequence . That was at least half the fun of watching HeMan and SheRa .
    Last edited by Lokus; November 16, 2018 at 10:25am.

So... are these two of the same race now??

We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Its a great series , that took way too long to make a comeback . I hope its more successful than 20XX .

I watched the first 7 episodes last night . I hope I see leech and mantenna . Its a very nice engaging story and keeps dragging me . The animation needs getting used to . Imp is seriously creepy looking . I suppose since Adora has no loved ones to protect , Only 3000 others know this secret XD

How old are these girls supposed to be ? They seem to be teenagers minus curves and girl parts . At what age does Etherian puberty kick in ? I know they are aliens but ....
    SHE RA is commented to being 8 ft tall , still no curves . Angela and Castaspella have curves umm little bit at least so whats the problem ? They are swopping the unrealistic barbie figure for an unrealistic androgynous figure . Glimmer is shaped like a penguin yet her mum has an unrealistic supermodel figure . I think they are trying to make Adora seem more feminine by having chubby best friend with horrible looking hair standing next to her every episode which i find unfair to Glimmer and offensive to plus size folk. Yay Bow is showing us his belly but he seems to like girls . He had very interesting bathing clothes in Mystacor ....
    I kinda understood that modern day low quality animation is due budget being diverted towards multiple social and psychological red tape inspections to protect children yadda yadda . These "girls'' do not seem to be a healthy alternative to supermodels .

I dont have a problem the over compensating of racial diversity probably because a certain blue eye , blonde haired character . Its not her fault she was born that way . I am kinda sad that Natossa did not have a radical change too. I assume the little eskimo girl on the intro is Frosta ? Thats just inappropriate stereotyping XD .

That wierd shadow beneath everyones eyes .... Does that really make a difference in giving the face shape which i assume is the purpose .

I kinda think Perfuma is an improvement ,
    Mermista,s tail fin is way too small to function
    I wonder if Entrapta is going to join the dark side since she was evil in the original cartoon.
    I guess Cat Ra,s multi colour eyes remind us that she is crazy .
    Scorpia is obviously a Russian athlete forced to take steroids disproving Entrapta,s comment about the rarity of 8ft girls .
    Madam Razz looks awesome , an improvement .
    I am 50/50 about Hordak and Shadow Weaver
    Poor Swifty does not get much screen time .
    I like light hope having a face . He/She was very hard to relate to in the classic toons

If I do have a wee gripe it's that there is no memorable transformation sequence . That was at least half the fun of watching HeMan and SheRa .
    I don't really care for the large shadowing under the eyes either. I don't get the purpose. I find it a bit distracting at times.

Noelle in a recent interview said she thought of Adora being around 17 or 18.

Widget
    I just finished watching the series. I was really looking forward to this one. I have seen heavy positive and negative reaction. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
    The humor. Bow is hilarious! Mermista and Sea Hawk are even funnier! I think I laughed at almost all of Mermista's lines, especially those in reference to Sea Hawk. Razz had some good lines too, as did Horsey/Swift Wind.
    The backgrounds. Beautiful!
    The storylines. This show is well written. I will admit some of the dialogue makes me cringe at times (but then, so did the original). But the stories themselves and character developments are well planned out.
    Entrapta: While I agree her intro was a little weak, her plotline was outstanding! Kudos to the writers for how they handled her.
    Catra: Her transition to pure evil is incredibly well done. And her motivations and reasoning is believable. You can tell the writers spent alot of time fleshing out this character.
    Adora: Her story and motivations are well thought out also. Can't wait for Season 2 to learn more about her past.
    Perfuma: I'm going to get blasted for saying this, but Flowers for Hordak is the worst POP episode, by a long shot. I would rather listen to a book-on-tape of War and Peace narrated by Crackers the Clown, than listen to the original Perfuma's horrendous voice and sit through the insane stupidity of Flowers for Hordak. I never got why this episode was so revered. Having got that off my chest, Perfuma is easily the most improved character. I like this Perfuma, and how they handled her character. It fits. And I love the Greek-mythology type characters in Thaymore around her. I was nervous seeing an episode called Flowers for She-Ra, but I like this new Perfuma, and I also like her voice. I couldn't say those things about the original.
    Easter Eggs/Nostalgia: Love the nod to old time fans with the names of villages.
    I also like the slow introduction to Hordak, as if building up to the more powerful enemies.
    Battle of Bright Moon: My favorite episode.

Cons:
    Castaspella - They really weakened this character. I like the additional family connection they gave her (won't say more so as to not spoil what others haven't seen yet), but her character seems more comic relief than the powerful sorceress of Mystacor that I was hoping for.
    Netossa and Spinnerella - I have no opinion, pro or con, on the idea of making some political statements in TV. Let's face it, the old show had some of those too. But I like to see it work within the storyline. These two should be powerful characters, and we are introduced to them fairly early in the series, but they are totally irrelevant until near the end of the final episode, and even then they aren't that important. So it leaves them as just a political statement, which isn't fair to the characters. Give them a role in the story! I'm ok with what they want to do with them if they have an actual purpose other than being a social statement. I'm hoping the writers do something better with them in season 2.
    Swift Wind's voice - His dialogue is funny. But his voice is kind of annoying.
    Absence of Kowl - Given how funny Bow is in this version, I think Kowl could work well with him.
    Let's see a few more known Horde villains too.

Undecided:
    Frosta - kind of annoying, but not any more than the Starchild. She started to grow on me a bit. I liked the concept of having a neutral character.
    Glimmer - can't decide on her. At times I really like her character. Other times, she's can be kind of annoying. But, maybe that's what the writers were going for, so if that's the case, I say it's working.
    Scorpia - she's starting to grow on me too, and she had some really funny lines. It's just that she used to be a really evil villain, so I am having a hard time adjusting to the change in personality.
    She-Ra - the title character gets very little screen time as She-Ra. As mentioned before, I love the decision to go with an ensemble cast and call it "Princesses (plural) of Power". But it's wierd seeing so little of her.
    Age of the characters - the show took some backlash on its designs, but it's understandable they needed to change the standard hourglass designs that we saw in the 80s because these are kids and as such they should not be sexualized. (Someone forgot to give that memo to the clowns who wrote the first Transformers live action movie). But some of the dialogue has to be dumbed down a bit due to the decision to make them younger. But I still can respect that decision because they want to connect with today's kids and the younger viewers. And I did get some good laughs form that style of dialogue. So this goes on my Indifferent/Undecided section.