Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3 update (link)

Heroic Warrior

Ghostbusters 3 update (link)

I’d love for it to come to fruition.

Also, I’m getting ahead of the issue: this is NOT going to be a thread to discuss the Paul Feig GB movie.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    Though it wouldn’t be the same without Remis.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm to the point that I don't care anymore. Murray drug his feet to long... though now after the backlash of the last show maybe DOES think people want the originals again... so maybe he IS back on board now.

I don't think it'll work anymore. They've gotten too old. Remis is dead. Bill murray isn't even that funny anymore. He's much more... depressing and bitter the last few times I've seen him. The spark is gone.

As for the theory that Bill will be a ghost??? That's a dumb idea. The ghostbusters ghosts... don't look like the people they used to. They're all slimered and librarianed…. They're creepy monster faces that shouldn't be recognizable.

I determined a long time ago that the Xbox 360 Ghostbusters game that they all lent their voices too... that referenced both the original movies and moved the franchise forward... THAT was the best 'part 3' we'll ever actually see.

This?? IF it happens at all... it's going to be bad....

There is only one Ghostbusters movie for me and that is the original. The sequel kind of sucked. I didn't even bother with the girly one because everyone I know hated it and said it was craptastic. I say let it go. Hollyweird needs to stop rehashing old properties and make something original.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    There is only one Ghostbusters movie for me and that is the original. The sequel kind of sucked. I didn't even bother with the girly one because everyone I know hated it and said it was craptastic. I say let it go. Hollyweird needs to stop rehashing old properties and make something original.
    I like part 2! i saw GB in it's 85 re-issue when i was 4 2 times in theaters and saw GB 2 on my 8th birthday opening day even had a GB cake and i had fun with part 2 and i will continue to defend it unlike Ghostbusters 2016 which i'm glad i didn't buy a ticket but rather use a free ticket from a blu-ray of Karate Kid 1984 in 2016 which had a free ticket so i won't give studios my money to send the message and the 2016 film was the worst film of the year 2016 in my view as even one of my youtube reviewer friends who is a popular youtube critic named Ocpcommunications made a hilarious rant on the film which is NSFW and opens with him saying "Don't watch this movie! why? it would be bad! try to imagine this, try to imagine life as you know it and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. That's what it's like watching Ghostbusters 2016" which he is a GB fan like myself and even saying at the end "It gets no stars, nothing, there's nothing remotely anything i like about this movie and this movie should be stored into a containment unit with all the other horrible bad remakes in the past 8 years", lol. Hell he even used a ghostbusters quote when he did his Elm Street remake rant review "This film should be condemned! there's serious fatigue in all the load barring cast members, the writing is substandard, it's inadequete for my entertainment and cinematic needs and it's direction is a demilitarize zone", LOL. I agree the 2016 version was a poorly written, unfunny with no sarcasm/wit or timing or intelligence in it's humor like the original movie, some crap CGI, unlikable characters, the men are a holes, the film is quite sexist to men with man-bashing throughout, poorly paced, cringe inducing cameos and all that stuff.

Just let the franchise go already from film Ackroyd, the last film was a complete failure. Time to retire this franchise on film as it's a dead horse on film.

Ghostbusters never needed to be continued in film. They couldn't get a cast reunion together outside the video game and after Harold Ramis died any idea about a third film should have been put to rest. They had plenty of material to work with the franchise in other mediums. It didn't need saving as a film franchise. It left enough of a legacy as a pop culture cinematic icon of the 80s to stay as a two film series. The problem is film studios are too greedy for their own good and think that established franchise films coming back hold some kind of guaranteed profit margins based on brand name alone. Nobody is smart enough to look at a brand like Ghostbusters and properly and efficiently determine the best ways to utilize it based on the fanbase and the legacy it holds.

Look at Back to the future as an example of utilizing the brand in ways that don't mess with the legacy it left. They show enormous respect to their fanbase coming out with different merchandise and apparel and media over the years. They know you can't recreate the magic they had so they let the franchise live on through the fans love of the trilogy. Ghostbusters did so well with the video game. They gave their fans something so authentic and respectful to the films that it's such a shame they had to go the route they did for GB2016 in order to bank off its name. I am very thankful the new film flopped at the box-office and how it killed the franchise and sometimes it's better to kill something then let it suffer. This franchise is now like a wounded half-dead animal since the Real GBs ended and nothing else good has came out in the last 25 years with the exception of the 2009 video game and the merchandise and comics by IDW, no movies since then and other games during the years have sucked and Extreme GBs was ok show and this remake flopped at the box-office.

You just can't recapture the same lightning in a bottle on film like the original as the original focused on a brilliant mature intelligent script and reminded how well crafted it is a supernatural fantasy comedy adventure with horror trimmings, a solid cast of talented comedy actors who are given just enough space to subtly give wit around without undermining the world of the story. Has an edge to it in the original as the original is what i call great filmmaking.

The new version hits some viewers in the face with painfully forced juvenile Sandler (modern Sandler mind you)-esque humor, a poorly written unfunny script, poor pacing and plus no passion but money grab is. Plus none of the edge of the original movie and a lame villain who lacks the menace of Gozer and Viggo. This shows what 80's and 90's comedy did right, and what some modern comedy is doing wrong. Not to mention shooting the logo in the **** as a bad guy which is an insult to the franchise and there is no passion in this remake and just a cash-grab made by Sony. I have a few female friends who thought this remake was poorly written, sexist towards men as one of my lady friends said it's an unfunny insult to women with such man hating agenda and well i enjoyed a few of Feig's movies, i felt he was the wrong guy for this project and even he didn't want to do it at first but he had to for the paycheck and he felt out of his comfort zone as R-rated films is what he is good at and not big budget PG-13 films as after this flopped, he should go back to original stuff.

Hollywood needs to focus on making good films and focus on the new franchises like Jack Reacher, John Wick etc. not digging up some old favorite film franchises and desperately sucking the dried up blood of the corpses into some focus-group approved poorly written piece of junk like 2016. Ghostbusters is best left alone. They should had made Ghostbusters 3 years ago like in the 90's, and now that Harold Ramis is dead so has Ghostbusters. Studios need to rediscover the spirit that made great series/movies, not keep recyling past glories.

I hope some people here will understand what i am saying as the world has moved on and some cinematic franchises need to be dead and left alone only for the memory of the original to be seen/loved/watched by everyone for years to come on what quality filmmaking is all about and that i am right with my truth about why some cinematic series should be left alone as some would and not to recycle some past glories as we moved on and need some fresh new things for current film.

Sometimes dead is better like Jud Crandall in Pet Sematary would say and the franchise died with Harold Ramis.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

GBIII? they waited too long. II was 29 years ago! As much I love the two films that's it for me.

There should have been a third film made around 91 or 92, maybe with a ghost from the animated series, Samhain or the portal to hell?...

If these were made these days there would have been a whole series of them by now, striking while the iron is hot, sequels come pretty wuick to the big franchises these days. I think GB would have followed something similar.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    GBIII? they waited too long. II was 29 years ago! As much I love the two films that's it for me.

There should have been a third film made around 91 or 92, maybe with a ghost from the animated series, Samhain or the portal to hell?...

If these were made these days there would have been a whole series of them by now, striking while the iron is hot, sequels come pretty wuick to the big franchises these days. I think GB would have followed something similar.
    You agree the franchise died with Ramis?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I liked both of the original movies. GBII get's too much hate!

I didn't hate the new movie with the lady busters, but I didn't like it much either. I agree with the words used above - too much of the kiddie Adam Sandler humour. Plus none of them smoked - that was just wrong!

Heroic Warrior
    The problem with any sequel or reboot is that it’s going to be merch fueled and set in a fantasy world.

I think it’s very key that Ghostbusting in blue collar work, seen as fringe. That the characters exist in an era of cultural change that they’re somewhat flawed and unreconstructed in grappling with. Because the big villains are about the “old world” influencing the new world. And that the Ghostbusters have pronouncedly ethnic names that seem more like random phonebook choices than conventional Hollywood heroes. The Ghostbusters have bad habits. They can be jerks. They’re out of shape, have funny hairlines, assymetrical faces, glasses, etc.

Past sequels/relaunches and cartoons got some of this. I think Extreme Ghostbusters may be the best model to follow but it also needs to be funnier and less actual horror, in a PG-13/R-rated comedy kind of way. Deadpool probably has the closest to the right energy.

If they recast, I’d look at:

Fred Armisen as Spengler. Bill Hader as Stanz. Micharl B. Jordan as Zeddemore. Colin Hanks as Venkman. Judy Greer as Janine.

I’d probably code Spengler explicitly as autistic, like. Maybe a really unique and specific obsession like guitar picks customized with Gundam Wing characters. Stanz vapes pot in a rig of his own design and has anxiety issues, to the point of missing classes he was supposed to teach. Zeddemore, I’d probably make a teacher who sells blood plasma and drives for Lyft because of his crushing student debt and failed music career. Venkman does Youtube product reviews for something like shoelaces and is trying to market a paranormal dating site.

And I’d probably just run with the idea that they are already Ghostbusters who saved the city three times but then they actually DID fake the third one to get business up and got exposed as frauds. So, one of those vague history reboots.

To me, the right way to do a third Ghostbusters movie at this point is to set it up as Dan Aykroyd being the only one still actively Ghostbusting, keeping the flame alive, and barely getting by/being tired. Bill Murray haunts him as a ghost that he can't bring himself to bust. Spengler died in an accident and Ray can't forgive himself.

Some threat comes to New York, and Ray can't handle it on his own, so he recruits a new class. He stays on the team, but possibly in a more Bosley-esque support role.

They need to let this thing die. The reboot was terrible and embarrassing...worst movie of its year. This would just be adding insult to injury.

The original cast wouldn’t necessarily make it any good, as GB2 demonstrated.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post
    They need to let this thing die. The reboot was terrible and embarrassing...worst movie of its year. This would just be adding insult to injury.

GB2 was constrained by two things:

Time, And Cartoon.

They couldn't go as adult as they wanted, or show the containment unit again because of the cartoon changing things. and the project ONLY came about, because everyone had a short window in which to do it. hence, the 5 year wait more than likely.

now, they don't have any of those constraints. the cartoon audience is all grown up. and their careers have slowed down a little.

sad part is, with sony controlling the shots, i still don't see this getting off the ground. sony's grand idea was the previous movie..and we all saw how that killed the franchises good will due to production vitrol.

I'm not much of a Ghostbusters fan myself, but seeing what they managed to pull off with the Halloween sequel I'm of the mind that with the right writer and director, age of the original star(s) ain't nothing but a number and there can always be a new movie that takes place however many years after the events of the first film and heck- it can actually work!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post

GB2 was pretty good right up until the end - it's almost as if Ramis sort of threw his hands up and said "Fine! Make it some stupid over the top finale. I'm tired of your stupidity" to Ackroyd.

A third move wouldn't be the same without the original cast - they were what made a completely silly idea into comedy genius. Even as a kid, I really appreciated the understated performance of them playing three (then four) middle-aged guys who really don't know what they're doing (apart from Egon perhaps...). I'll even give Ackroyd his dues to providing that over the top, over enthusiastic man-child that added a great counter balance to the rest of the cast.

Anyhow...a third movie in the 90's with all of the car around would have made sense. But now? Nope.
    Yesterday returneth not. Tomorrow perhaps cometh not. But today is thine. Misuse it not.
    The forum member formally known as IronAvatar

I dunno. I love Ghostbusters when it was a super awesome 80s movie. I still remember all the lines. I loved The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.

The only way I can see this happening is if they all come together after Egons' funeral. They haven't been in contact with one another for 30 years, but you know how funerals brings people together. There is Janine(Egon's wife) and their daugher/son. And then bad ghost stuff happens and they have to start up the buisness again, but realize dude, they just too old, and need to pass on the torch to Egon's kid and their band of misfits.

It really has to be a passing of the torch. I don't see how I could take such a movie seriously. We tried that with Indiana Jones when he was 60 and that didn't work for me either.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    It really has to be a passing of the torch. I don't see how I could take such a movie seriously. We tried that with Indiana Jones when he was 60 and that didn't work for me either.
    I think the latest Indy installment suffered from Hollywood having ADHD. The script/story was all over the place. I think Harrison did what he could with what was in front of him. I definitely think it failed epic-ally in the writing department.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Heroic Warrior
    Liked the destruction they caused. The ball room in the hotel was hilarious. The tech jargon was great and one line I love

“Do you know how big this Twinkie would have to contain all the psycho kenitic energy in the entire New York area? It would have to be 35 feet long, weighing 600 pounds”. Stuff like that.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I dunno. I love Ghostbusters when it was a super awesome 80s movie. I still remember all the lines. I loved The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.

The only way I can see this happening is if they all come together after Egons' funeral. They haven't been in contact with one another for 30 years, but you know how funerals brings people together. There is Janine(Egon's wife) and their daugher/son. And then bad ghost stuff happens and they have to start up the buisness again, but realize dude, they just too old, and need to pass on the torch to Egon's kid and their band of misfits.

The funeral idea is a good one to bring them back together.

I don't think it will be the same without Harold. Not just because he played Egon, but because a lot of the quirky offbeat humor in the writing came from him. Dan Aykroyd is funny, but he just doesn't have that same comic timing.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Evil Master of Warcraft
    What do you think if Harold Ramis was digitally put in like Peter Cushing in Rogue 1?

I think if they really are going to make a GB 3, it should be like the video game. Have the main cast more as supporting characters and train a new younger generation. (A lot of fans consider the GB video game AS the third movie.)
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    What do you think if Harold Ramis was digitally put in like Peter Cushing in Rogue 1?
    I'd rather they didn't. It's just kind of weird IMO. And while the effect of putting Peter Cushing in Rogue One was pretty neat and at times almost looked real, most of the time it still looked "off" and I could tell it was CGI. I honestly think in that instance, if they were going to put him in there like they did, it should have been briefly and not for as long as they did. And the digital effect for young Leia at the end looked off as well.

I think if they really are going to make a GB 3, it should be like the video game. Have the main cast more as supporting characters and train a new younger generation. (A lot of fans consider the GB video game AS the third movie.)
    The video game was great, both as a game and as a continuation of the original movies.

Given that Ramis is no longer around, I think the best approach would be for Ray to serve as the mentor and trainer of the new younger team and create and maintain the equipment (kind of in a somewhat similar role as Egon in the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon). He would mainly stay at the firehouse since he really isn't in shape to be running around catching ghosts.

Since Ernie Hudson is still in good shape, Winston could have more of a role of guiding and training the younger team when out actually catching ghosts. This would also give him a good sized role in the movie since he was short changed to some extent or another in the other two films.

As far as Bill Murray as Peter goes, they could fit him in to whatever extent Bill Murray is willing to participate - whether it is as a ghost, still alive, or whatever. Assuming that what Dan Akroyd is saying is accurate and Murray is interested in being involved, somehow I doubt it would be much more than a cameo or an otherwise relatively small role. Not that I would be against him having a bigger role, I just don't see Murray wanting to be involved to that extent.

On a side note, it's nice to see you posting here again, GeologyMule!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I don't think it will be the same without Harold. Not just because he played Egon, but because a lot of the quirky offbeat humor in the writing came from him. Dan Aykroyd is funny, but he just doesn't have that same comic timing.
    agreed. but, whoever wrote the video game got the humor down pretty good. i doubt ramis and aykroyd did a majority of the writing.

IDW also has the characters down well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    As far as Bill Murray as Peter goes, they could fit him in to whatever extent Bill Murray is willing to participate - whether it is as a ghost, still alive, or whatever. Assuming that what Dan Akroyd is saying is accurate and Murray is interested in being involved, somehow I doubt it would be much more than a cameo or an otherwise relatively small role. Not that I would be against him having a bigger role, I just don't see Murray wanting to be involved to that extent.
    I had heard the main reason Bill Murray never wanted to make another Ghostbusters movie was that he refused to work with Harold Ramis again. That, for better or worse, is no longer a factor. I am wondering if Sigourney Weaver, Annie Potts, or Rick Moranis would think about coming back - Rick would be especially nice to see as he basically quit acting some time ago.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Well GB3 is officially happening.

Thoughts?

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...or-1203109264/

Jason Reitman to Direct Secret ‘Ghostbusters’ Movie

Sony Pictures is getting the wheels in motion for the next installment in the “Ghostbusters” franchise, and it knows who it’s going to call to direct: Jason Reitman.

Sources tell Variety that Reitman, whose father, Ivan, directed the first two “Ghostbusters” movies, will direct the latest pic in the famous franchise.

Reitman has also co-written a screenplay with Gil Kenan and plans to shoot the film this summer, with Sony planning to release the latest sequel in summer 2020. Insiders say this film will be a continuation of the 1984 sequel and will not be connected to the 2016 film. Sources couldn’t say if that means that the original cast members will be back, as exact story details are still being kept under wraps but sources say Reitman has begun testing teenagers for four mystery roles.

ony and Jason Reitman already had a strong relationship after the studio came on to produce his latest film “The Front Runner.” Even though the 2016 “Ghostbusters” reboot disappointed critically and commercially, the franchise is still a huge priority for the studio. While getting another film off the ground has always been discussed, bringing Reitman on has been covertly handled over the past couple of months, with the studio using the fake title “Rust City” to keep the news under wraps until plans were ready to be unveiled.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/01/15/new...jason-reitman/

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full-trance mediums, the Loch Ness Monster and the theory of Atlantis?

If so, good news — there’s a new Ghostbusters movie in the works.

Entertainment Weekly has learned exclusively that Jason Reitman will direct and co-write an upcoming film set in the world that was saved decades previously by the proton pack-wearing working stiffs in the original 1984 movie, which was directed by his father, Ivan Reitman.

“I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman says. “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”

Sony Pictures has dated the film for Summer 2020, with plans to start shooting in a few months.

It’s still too soon to reveal the plot of the screenplay, who the new characters will be, or whether the original actors like Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, or Bill Murray will return. Harold Ramis died in 2014.

“This is very early, and I want the film to unwrap like a present. We have a lot of wonderful surprises and new characters for the audience to meet,” says Reitman, who co-wrote the screenplay with Monster House and Poltergeist remake filmmaker Gil Kenan.
    Last edited by Bonehead; January 15, 2019 at 08:52pm.