Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3 update (link)

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    That is kind of hard to do when the cast is screeching like cats on a hot tin roof because the fans want something closer to the original. How dare you want something that looks and feels like the Ghostbusters you fell in love with?!? That makes you a he man woman hater or something - LOL!
    LOL. Some people have actually started a petition for a Paul Fiegg sequel.... I am sure it will get loads of signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Those cameos were cringe inducing at best and Ackroyd didn't look happy in that cab driver scene
    Ackroyd was a producer and blames himself for allowing the budget to balloon on the Feig Ghostbusters such that being anything but a box-office titan was risking the movie being profitable.

That said I thought the cameos were pretty weak and I think there could have been a better use of the original cast - even if they didn't play their original characters in some sort of alternate universe way.

I always find it funny to see how years later, Hollywood cooks up an old batch of whatever, but while changing the ingredients. You can't expect to get the same result when you do that as that wouldn't make any sense right? Well...it still happens for some odd reason.

O...let's just change the cast, use the old cast as bait, while using the same premise and people will gobble it up. Not quite....

Just a few legendary franchises that immediately come to mind. They're doing it with Ghostbusters, they did it with Star Wars and I believe it's also in the works for Indiana Jones.

To be fair to Hollywood, it's not a new thing really. Silent films were remade to sound, black and white films remade for color.

One curious things about old remakes. For a long time if studio a wanted to read apt a book, they'd buy the previous adaption from studio b to make sure there were no copyright issues.

I think it doesn't matter if there is a good story to be told again.

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    To be fair to Hollywood, it's not a new thing really. Silent films were remade to sound, black and white films remade for color.

One curious things about old remakes. For a long time if studio a wanted to read apt a book, they'd buy the previous adaption from studio b to make sure there were no copyright issues.

I think it doesn't matter if there is a good story to be told again.
    I'm not a particular Ghostbusters fan, so there's no issue there for me, but I do wholeheartedly agree that some remakes are better than the original. Gypsy is a prime example, while the 1962 version with Rosalind Russell and Natalie Wood was good, the 1993 version with Bette Midler and Cynthia Gibb was absolutely brilliant! The story was bright and energetic and the musical numbers far outshone the original - except for the song You Gotta Get A Gimmick, the original with Faith Dane (Mazeppa), Roxanne Arlen (Electra), and Betty Bruce (Tessie Tura) and the version of the song in the remake with Linda Hart, Anna McNeely, and Christine Ebersole in those roles were equally brilliant.

Also, the original version cut the song Together, Wherever We Go which was a great mistake, the remake rectifies this by re-adding this song, sung by Bette Midler, Cynthia Gibb, and Peter Riegert.
    Last edited by Mikey; June 13, 2019 at 08:32pm.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Yeah there are some remakes that are as good or better than the original.

I think Mystery in the Wax Museum and House of Wax with Vincent Price are both as good as one another. Hitchcock remade himself with The Man Who Knew Too Much.

While I liked Ghostbusters, it was never one of those films that I had a special connection to so remaking or rebooting it isn't the same for me as it is for others.

I also love the Val Kilmer version of Ten Commandments (a musical) more than the original Charlton Heston movie.

Apparently they are also remaking West Side Story as well, but I was never really a fan of the original so it doesn't upset me as it might other people. Rita Moreno who played Anita in the 1961 film will be appearing in the remake as a character named Valentina.

I don't think another Gypsy remake would appeal to me, since I am devotedly in love with the Bette Midler/Cynthia Gibb version.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I also love the Val Kilmer version of Ten Commandments (a musical) more than the original Charlton Heston movie.

Apparently they are also remaking West Side Story as well, but I was never really a fan of the original so it doesn't upset me as it might other people. Rita Moreno who played Anita in the 1961 film will be appearing in the remake as a character named Valentina.

I don't think another Gypsy remake would appeal to me, since I am devotedly in love with the Bette Midler/Cynthia Gibb version.
    Is this a Ghostbusters 3 movie thread?

Anyways back on topic this should be a next generation film type sequel now that Harold Ramis is gone maybe?

Other people have talked about other franchises and movies as comparisons here, not just me.

Other people have talked about other franchises and movies as comparisons here, not just me.
    But your doing it again...going into threads to post things like that were mentioned that have nothing to do but bring focus to you and in bold and bold italics

I've always used bold and italics to highlight certain words, not draw attention to me. As I said, other people mentioned other movies to draw comparisons, yet you don't pick on them.

I've always used bold and italics to highlight certain words, not draw attention to me. As I said, other people mentioned other movies to draw comparisons, yet you don't pick on them.
    I'm not picking your doing what you do and I don't know why people have asked you to use the ignore function but you don't...People use things that have in common they are are using them as a reference not a totally different story/idea..but similar to Ghostbusters

Look familiar?

I'm not a particular Ghostbusters fan, so there's no issue there for me, but I do wholeheartedly agree that some remakes are better than the original.

Amentep and I were discussing remakes and their relevance in Hollywood, which is on topic even if the examples used weren't. I would not have introduced those examples if we hadn't been discussing remakes in the first place.

It is for the same reasons that people are against remakes/reboots of movies like Ghostbusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    It is for the same reasons that people are against remakes/reboots of movies like Ghostbusters.
    Yes, but the difference is that I never said they shouldn't make a new version of Gypsy though. If they do then so be it, but the Bette/Cynthia version will always be my definitive version.

Yes, but the difference is that I never said they shouldn't make a new version of Gypsy though. If they do then so be it, but the Bette/Cynthia version will always be my definitive version.
    The big difference is though that the original Ghostbusters is the definitive version. Making a movie that was basically a bad Saturday Night Live skit was just a terrible idea from the start and people should spoken out more to stop it from being made. Well they did speak out a lot but Sony refused to listen...

Some remakes can be good and better than the original like Stephen King's IT (2017) is vastly superior to the early 90's original.

Let's try to keep the discussion on topic and away from each other. Thanks!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    LOL. Some people have actually started a petition for a Paul Fiegg sequel.... I am sure it will get loads of signatures.
    Petitions are like bum holes these days, everyone has one and they all stink - LOL!

I am SO sorry, that was so wrong but it made me giggle. Seriously though, have you even noticed how many petitions there are for every little thing and how ineffective they are?!?
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

(Ahem.)

SO... Ghostbusters 3! Who wants to discuss that?
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    (Ahem.)

SO... Ghostbusters 3! Who wants to discuss that?
    I see that Bill, Sigourney and Dan are in. Did they say anything about Ernie or any of the other cast members?
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Heroic Warrior
    My bet?

Dan Made it a stipulation of the Feigbuster contract. If this movie fails miserably, I get ghostbusters 3. we'll sign on to this, but you also have to agree to sign us on for gb 3.
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    My bet?

Dan Made it a stipulation of the Feigbuster contract. If this movie fails miserably, I get ghostbusters 3. we'll sign on to this, but you also have to agree to sign us on for gb 3.
    https://www.660citynews.com/2019/05/...-we-can-spend/

Aykroyd: Ö. But I donít want to discount the work that the girls did with Paul Feig. I kind of got mad, but I realized I should have blamed myself as a producer, the costs were out of control, I should have been watching as a producer a little more, but you donít dispute with your director.

You hire a director, you trust a director, you trust their vision. But the job that (stars) Kate (McKinnon), and Kristen (Wiig), and Leslie (Jones) and Melissa (McCarthy) did and indeed Paul did on that movie was superior, or superb. We would have done another one but, again, the cost overruns prevented the studio from looking at it and doing another ladiesí movieÖ.

Now weíre going to do it in a sensible way. Costs will be under control and itíll be brought in for a sensible budget without waste and thatís whatís important now in getting it made

Heroic Warrior

THAT'S proper filmmaking right there...

I truly believe that the costs of making movies right now are cutting the companies own throats. It should NEVER cost as much as they're spending... Not EVERY movie and not EVERY franchise is going to be Star Wars or Marvel... even Star Wars can't be Star Wars anymore....

My biggest example of this was Lone Ranger. They spent $215 MILLION dollars making a western... It only made back $89 Million in the US.... It had problems with the cast and script too of course... but there was never going to be a market to make the half a BILLION they would have needed to break even. CGI Trains and Horses and whatever Jonny Depp's paycheck was... it was ABSURD!

Mask of Zorro on other hand... ALSO a fantasy western Genre. Also a masked hero from a bygone age with an aged and weathered fanbase... They made that for $65 Million and made $94M back in the US.... roughly the same as Lone Ranger did... but it was a smashing success that was instantly green-lit for a sequel. Lone Ranger could have EASILY been done with stunts and practical effects.... and preferably fixed the script.... but the costs just buried it.

There are a LOT of movies out there that make a LOT of money.... but are still considered flops because they spent too much to make them.

There's an interesting quote from Seth Rogen regarding the Green Hornet film he did.

Basically Green Hornet made its budget back and a small profit. But it didn't get a sequel because, as Rogen put it, the studios didn't want to spend millions to make millions - they wanted to spend millions to make billions. Which is a problem.

I like that Ackroyd is going to keep the budget from bloating for the new film. It does imply that regardless of what we think of the Feig Ghostbusters, it - like The Lone Ranger from Disney - was almost guaranteed to be a flop. And Ackroyd seems to feel he's partially responsible. I know he's really connected to Ghostbusters from interviews, constantly pitching new ideas or ways to tell stories with the old characters (he's been talking about a script about the original trio first meeting as teens in the 60s recently). So I think he really wants the Ghostbusters stories to succeed no matter what form they take.

Good god, this thread. I made a wrong turn.