Thread: Episode 5: "The Sea Gate" (SPOILERS!)

Episode 5: "The Sea Gate" (SPOILERS!)

Hi - a lot has changed since the 200x days. We couldn't binge all the episodes back then; as each episode was released, we'd discuss it... in detail! Now, you can binge all the She-Ra episodes at once; so, it's not quite the same. I'm proposing we set up a thread for each episode so we don't have to choose to stay out conversations until we've seen the whole season.

This thread is for Episode 5: "The Sea Gate". Please only discuss what was shown in this episode and those leading up to it.

Thank you.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Heroic Warrior
    So ... Mermista and Sea Hawk.

That's a pretty major change. I don't really mind either way, but it was interesting that they seemed to imply that Sea Hawk was a lot older than Adora and friends (referring to them as "kids"), yet he apparently dated Mermista who seemed to be presented as the same age as Adora.

Rebooted Scorpia was interesting, although I wish she was a little more threatening.

And much like Perfuma's "kingdom", Mermista didn't seem to have an awful lot to offer the Princess Rebellion outside of her vague hydrokinetic powers (which seemed to be incredibly underused in the battle scene). I know that everyone had apparently fled town because the gate was powering down, but it seemed a little odd.

I wasn't a huge fan of She-Ra magically saving the day simply by sticking her sword in the gate. I don't know. I just felt like the victory should have been a little harder, for example, Bow had to research what was wrong with the gate for a while before immediately jumping to that "solution". It was also odd that they decided to fix the gate from the unprotected side instead of the protected side.

It sounds like a lot of negatives, but it was still a good episode. I'm open to seeing more of Mermista and Sea Hawk, although I hope that the latter tones down his personality. He seemed to be pretty ineffective (except when it came to burning ships) and I'm not a huge fan of faux bravado characters - he's reminding me of Joxer the Mighty from Xena: Warrior Princess (he even has his own theme song like Joxer).

Yeah, and I'm not so sure about Mermista's "whut-eva" attitude! And good point about the Sea Hawk vs. Mermista age. I didn't even think about that.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

POP and Customs Lover! heftysmurf76's Avatar
    I LOVE Mermista! her sassiness is fun!, this is one of my fave episodes too!

Really thought I'd hate Sea Hawk but Im a huge fan of the Gilderoy Lockhart character and he reminds me of him so I really enjoyed this one. Still cant stand his design though... ergh.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I gave the series a chance and while it isn't as bad as I was expecting, I feel it definitely isn't for me. This is the episode I stopped at.

Why has every character's ethnicity had to change for this series? I can understand it if the story requires it but otherwise it's just a change for the sake of it and that bothers me. The main thing that really annoyed me and made me question why I was watching this series was Mermista and her cannot be bothered attitude typical of some spoilt tween brat (the very thing I dreaded would happen in this series!)

It's a shame really as I like the animation and the direction the story was going but if they are going to mess with all the characters to suit an agenda rather than a story and turn all the Princesses into tween brats then it's not for me.
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I gave the series a chance and while it isn't as bad as I was expecting, I feel it definitely isn't for me. This is the episode I stopped at.

Why has every character's ethnicity had to change for this series? I can understand it if the story requires it but otherwise it's just a change for the sake of it and that bothers me. The main thing that really annoyed me and made me question why I was watching this series was Mermista and her cannot be bothered attitude typical of some spoilt tween brat (the very thing I dreaded would happen in this series!)

It's a shame really as I like the animation and the direction the story was going but if they are going to mess with all the characters to suit an agenda rather than a story and turn all the Princesses into tween brats then it's not for me.
    Mermistat's attitude came off as a front that she was putting up to cope with the situation, to me.
    Last edited by A Dalek; November 20, 2018 at 06:02pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I was going to give this a chance, but my god that was terrible.

Its full of annoying characters. The humor is dumb...just dumb.

Can the MYP Hordak cross dimensions and slaughter these characters and Netflix just give us a belated Season 3 of that instead?

Quote Originally Posted by themodrenman View Post
    Can the MYP Hordak cross dimensions and slaughter these characters and Netflix just give us a belated Season 3 of that instead?
    LOL!

It's not just change 'for the sake of it' though is it, it's change to be more inclusive, more diverse, and more representational.

So little kids of all backgrounds can find characters to identify with, to give them role models and empower them, rather than feeling isolated and underrepresented. That can only be a good thing surely?

Why would it bother you if they change the colour of a character's skin?

I wouldn't care if Mermista's skin was purple or blue or whatever, Etheria's a fantasy place.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

This show is amazing! Both of my kids liked Filmation and MYP -versions, but they love this one and me too. Mermista is totally my favorite. Such a one-liner. They have made such a wonderful job. I was sceptic with art in start, but story is such a diamont that it doesnt matter anymore.
    Will do commissions for loose 200X Evillyn or Roboto. Guarantee: if not happy with pic, no need to send fig!

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    It's not just change 'for the sake of it' though is it, it's change to be more inclusive, more diverse, and more representational.

So little kids of all backgrounds can find characters to identify with, to give them role models and empower them, rather than feeling isolated and underrepresented. That can only be a good thing surely?

I wouldn't care if Mermista's skin was purple or blue or whatever, Etheria's a fantasy place.
    I totally agree with Fright Zone, equality and diversity can only be a good thing.

Mermista reminds me of Vidia from the Tinkerbell franchise. I love good sarcastic humour.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post

I didn't say anything about skin colour as I said ethnicity (and NOT race) Whether folks like it or not this series IS based off of the original series and in that Mermista had something of a western European accent (and yes she was white) I'd be equally as bothered if they changed Netossa to white and gave her an irish accent! If they want to introduce more diversity than why not create new rebellion members to fill those roles?

But my main problem is they completely changed the characters persona. At least with Perfuma's personality, her character was immediately familiar.
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

I didn't say anything about skin colour as I said ethnicity (and NOT race) Whether folks like it or not this series IS based off of the original series and in that Mermista had something of a western European accent (and yes she was white) I'd be equally as bothered if they changed Netossa to white and gave her an irish accent! If they want to introduce more diversity than why not create new rebellion members to fill those roles?

But my main problem is they completely changed the characters persona. At least with Perfuma's personality, her character was immediately familiar.
    But that was part of my point... they’re all Etherian. They may have accents that sound similar to Earth accents, but they’re still Etherian. Mermista’s ethnicity hasn’t changed, she was Etherian before and she still is. They just updated her design for a modern aesthetic and changed her character to be more appealing to a younger generation.

I dislike the ‘if they wanted more diverse characters they should’ve just made new ones!’ argument, which I have seen other people bring up.
    There are a lot of characters in the mythos and I’d rather they use them, even if they make changes to their character/appearance, than bring in more new characters.
    People would be just as annoyed if there were new characters taking up screen time and pushing people like Mermista into the background.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

I thought I was going to hate this Seahawk , because the original one was one on my favorites characters but the new one is so hilariuos that I really like it.
    However I miss the Seahawk pirate,smuggler in contact with the Horde.
    Any master of photoshop here to colored the new SH with the original colors?
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; November 24, 2018 at 09:47pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Sea Hawk was funny and Bow having a crush on him was, too.
    Scorpia has a good look.
    Mermista's voice was the worse of the series so far.
    Fun episode. I don't care about ethnicity for this show. Full reboot anyway.

I don't really care for Sea Hawk. He has made me laugh a couple times with his randomness, though. The two biggest comedy relief characters of the show are Bow and Sea Hawk. I kind of wish they would have made one of the male heroes a more serious character. I'm still not sure why they felt the need to give him purple hair rather than his trademark red hair. Mermista's design is ok except for her tennis shoes. It feels like they gave Mermista Kowl's attitude.