Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: A love Interest for adora snd catra

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    244

    A love Interest for adora snd catra

    I doubt it will be bow or sea hawk ( he may will end up with mermista), so they need a new Male character.


    Maybe this could someone both girls fall into?




    I just hope they dont make catra marry scorpia ..

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    244
    You think they wont do it ?
    I am not sure . It is possible.
    Very possible.


    We will see lol

    Could be funny

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,950
    Scorpia’s interest in Catra seems to be one sided. And I’m not sure it is romantic or simply an immature crush because Scorpia has never had a friend before.

    As for love interests. I think they’re unnecessary, but there do seem to be slim pickings available for Adora if she’s interested in men and if they want to use an existing character from Filmation.

    Maybe she could be interested in Sweet Bee’s brother in a reversal of Sweet Bee’s interest in Adam / He-Man?

  4. #4
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,365
    I think it'd be cool if Adora never had a love interest in the show. That way there could be an episode down the road where she is really bummed that she can't find love when most people around her have someone, then she realizes the loneliness of being a hero and what she sacrifices for the good of Etheria. She willingly gives up a happy life with a love interest so that she can focus on hero-work and freeing Etheria from the clutches of the Evil Horde.

    As for Catra, maybe there could be a love-triangle between Entrapta, Scrorpia, and her. Catra did show a weird interest in Entrapta, more than just in her abilities.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  5. #5
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    68
    Noelle Stevenson and her writing staff pretty heavily set up an unconsummated and starcrossed romance between Adora and Catra, but with just enough 'wiggle room' that people can read their relationship dynamic as being a broken platonic friendship that neither can quite leave behind.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
    Noelle Stevenson and her writing staff pretty heavily set up an unconsummated and starcrossed romance between Adora and Catra, but with just enough 'wiggle room' that people can read their relationship dynamic as being a broken platonic friendship that neither can quite leave behind.


    Now please in easy english for the silly ones here :-)

  7. #7
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    68
    ^ "Catradora" is a thing in Canon, either as a romance or a platonic friendship gone wrong.

  8. #8
    Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    2,240
    It's a show about a war for the survival of a planet... I'm sure Adora/She-Ra doesn't have time to listen to boybands and gush over dreamy boys/girls/flying horsies/cat people/gosh knows what else....
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

  9. #9
    master of accessories facet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    I doubt it will be bow or sea hawk ( he may will end up with mermista), so they need a new Male character.


    Maybe this could someone both girls fall into?




    I just hope they dont make catra marry scorpia ..
    This is where they should introduce josh from the mini comics into the story

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    114
    Like a male character in this show will ever be written as anything other than ineffectual or evil.....

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    244
    Why??


    I hope they ad some males. Maybe new Charakters like wizards ectr

  12. #12
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,601
    It's odd to me how many here need to read "romanticism" between characters on this show when the writers didn't.

    Kyle likes that Bow talks to him as a person? they are practically lovers

    Rogelio saves Kyle and helps him? they are practically lovers

    Scorpia likes to hug and enjoys having Catra as a friend? She's head over heels for Catra

    Adora and Catra grow up as sisters/best friends? the romantic tension between them is off the charts.


    ANY character talks in a positive way to ANY other character in a one on one situation =
    they are romantically involved


    It reminds me of outrageous work gossip. Grown people needing to add an adult element to a children's cartoon.
    We can’t pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didn’t work. - Pete Buttigieg

  13. #13
    Widget
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1
    I'm pretty sure they've been pretty clear about who Adora and Catra's respective love interests are

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by DracoDracul View Post
    I'm pretty sure they've been pretty clear about who Adora and Catra's respective love interests are

    You mean they love each other secretly as a couple?

    I doubt this
    Not here. Not them
    Maybe too risky

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    372
    Catra's and Adora's relationship is deliberately written as ambigious. But in the end, even if there was ever anything romantic about it, that is over.
    Catra made her way to full villain and I don't think she is ever going back from that.

    I also don't think any of them needs a love interest. I wouldn't be opposed to it if it is done well, but I don't think it is necessary at all.

  16. #16
    Lord of the Patch baronterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    6,219
    Quote Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
    Noelle Stevenson and her writing staff pretty heavily set up an unconsummated and starcrossed romance between Adora and Catra, but with just enough 'wiggle room' that people can read their relationship dynamic as being a broken platonic friendship that neither can quite leave behind.
    This is my read. I very much see it as Catra into Adora and driving much of their arc. I would agree with the idea that maybe Catra herself is not honest with herself about just exactly what she's feeling. I love that subtext. I love that it could be either interpretation, or both.

    I'm solidly on Catra unrequited/one sided/self closeted feelings. I'm fine if Adora were aware of it too, but I'm not convinced she sees it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    Scorpia’s interest in Catra seems to be one sided. And I’m not sure it is romantic or simply an immature crush because Scorpia has never had a friend before.

    As for love interests. I think they’re unnecessary
    I think you got it on the head. Scorpia is just happy to have someone in her life and the feelings are all mixed up together. I think it's too immature/cofused to be anything right now. In time and good writing they could go somewhere more with it, but it is perfectly fine (and kinda perfect) as it is right now.

    I'm really enjoying the complicated subtextual (and textual) ways these characters are relating to each other.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I think it'd be cool if Adora never had a love interest in the show. That way there could be an episode down the road where she is really bummed that she can't find love when most people around her have someone, then she realizes the loneliness of being a hero and what she sacrifices for the good of Etheria. She willingly gives up a happy life with a love interest so that she can focus on hero-work and freeing Etheria from the clutches of the Evil Horde.
    Yeah, I'm very ok with Adora not actually having one. I think you got it.

    I will say I'm glad that Sea Hawk is all about Mermista, and the way she feels about him is complicated. It's very interesting, I actually really like it. Sure initially I was sorta disappointed with how they dealt with him, but I quickly came around because they were doing something neater.

    As echoed elsewhere (and stated by me) the real relationship issue with Adora is with Catra. Whatever way you choose to read it. And it's very very compelling and well done. Just the whole show is complex characters. Love it. I'm repeating myself, sorry.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by themodrenman View Post
    Like a male character in this show will ever be written as anything other than ineffectual or evil.....
    Just like the original show. Yeah, I'd prefer they keep it like that. oh sure, sometimes they are effective as I'm sure you are aware, but this is solidly a heroic female show. As it should be.

    So far the effectiveness of Bow & Sea Hawk is played just right.

    ---


    Side note, not directly calling anyone out but;

    Even if there is nothing to it as thinking, feeling adults speculating on areas of interest is a huge part of fandom, particularly in forums. Luckily any topic you are uncomfortable or uninterested in can be easily avoided, for the most part.

    As well as this I feel this show has been well advertised as being written and created by someone who is known for their (dang it, i repeat) complex characters and openess to the human condition. I think it was explicitly stated she was chosen exactly because of this.

    I feel it was clear from the get go that all of this at some level or another is at least baked in subtextually and with intent.

    Or maybe not, whatever. As should be obvious I (and others) am really enjoying this angle.

    above all that however is that for alot of people that are traditionally underrepresented in media tend to grasp at whatever they can to feel included. Finding a character or character that can fill as their in and maybe just having fun elaborating on the barest suggestion is a way to feel inclusive and a part of the story; like their personal story has worth and value within traditional narratives.

    So even if their ideas are a stretch (and to be clear I think it is evident and clear from the start these are mostly not a stretch at all) it's healty and normal, and to be expected.

    Plus it's fun, especially for those reasons.

    Everything has shipping in this internet age. In this case I feel that it is more warranted than usual, but maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by baronterror; November 24, 2018 at 03:11pm.

  17. #17
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    15
    I honestly don't see them falling for anyone. It's not that kind of show, despite it being a girls show. Plus there aren't couples everywhere to make Adora feel 'left out' that she doesn't have someone. Maybe if Bow and Glimmer got together, but those two don't see to have a rush to get involved with each other or anyone else. I mean, romance was barely a theme in the original show either.

    I see Catra and Adora as friends, though even when they were on the same side Catra was always jealous of her rising in the ranks. Their friendship remains to be seen though cause it looks like Catra embraced full dark side.

    People tend to forget that girls can do things like hold hands, hug constantly, even a playful kiss between each other and still be straight while guys can't. I mean how many female besties have you seen walking around holding hands and it didn't mean anything? People need to stop looking for something that isn't there.

  18. #18
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,601
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Side note, not directly calling anyone out but;

    Even if there is nothing to it as thinking, feeling adults speculating on areas of interest is a huge part of fandom, particularly in forums. Luckily any topic you are uncomfortable or uninterested in can be easily avoided, for the most part.

    As well as this I feel this show has been well advertised as being written and created by someone who is known for their (dang it, i repeat) complex characters and openess to the human condition. I think it was explicitly stated she was chosen exactly because of this.

    I feel it was clear from the get go that all of this at some level or another is at least baked in subtextually and with intent.

    Or maybe not, whatever. As should be obvious I (and others) am really enjoying this angle.

    above all that however is that for alot of people that are traditionally underrepresented in media tend to grasp at whatever they can to feel included. Finding a character or character that can fill as their in and maybe just having fun elaborating on the barest suggestion is a way to feel inclusive and a part of the story; like their personal story has worth and value within traditional narratives.

    So even if their ideas are a stretch (and to be clear I think it is evident and clear from the start these are mostly not a stretch at all) it's healty and normal, and to be expected.

    Plus it's fun, especially for those reasons.

    Everything has shipping in this internet age. In this case I feel that it is more warranted than usual, but maybe that's just me.
    You could have quoted me, I wouldn't have minded.

    I guess on the day I wrote that, I was having another argument talking about how it was a great show and fine for kids as it doesn't explore romantic relationships. So when I saw so many people needing for there to be romantic relationships I kinda just threw my hands up.

    Maybe different people see things in different ways. I can watch a show about a group of friends without having to romantically link them all up. Just like in real life where we have friends and friendships all the time without there being anything sexual or romantic behind our actions.

    I feel like I'm having to defend the show as being a "kids show" while having to argue against what ultimately amounts to fan fiction.


    But I see your point about it being enjoyable and fun for fans. I just wish it was approached more as a "what if" type discussion. Regardless:


    I apologize if my comments bothered or offended anyone.
    We can’t pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didn’t work. - Pete Buttigieg

  19. #19
    Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    2,240
    I'd like to see an episode where General Sunder offers to leave the Horde to be with Adora, and she's flattered, but during the episode realizes she doesn't have the luxury of romance with her duties as Etheria's Messiah and ultimately has to turn him down and he ends up choosing to join the rebels because it's the right thing to do, not just to impress a girl.
    It'd be a good moral for an episode anyway, whether they introduce General Sunder or not.
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    277
    Only the adults watching this kiddie cartoon , would worry about silly things like romance .

    Also there is no point to give Adora a boyfriend . She has no birthing hips XD.

    Save Etheria from the evil Horde first and then visit a fertility clinic .
    Last edited by Lokus; November 30, 2018 at 05:34pm.

  21. #21
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    68
    If Adora gets given a romantic plot, it's going to involve Catra because that's clearly the intended 'read' of their relationship as per what the series has presented.

  22. #22
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
    If Adora gets given a romantic plot, it's going to involve Catra because that's clearly the intended 'read' of their relationship as per what the series has presented.
    Sounds Adora-bly purr-fect to me.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior sirsniffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    2,711
    Whether or not the show is simply "queerbaiting" Catra and Adora's relationship remains to be seen, but I do think we could see Glimmer have some unrequited feelings for Bow. You can already see in season one that she was jealous of Perfuma for getting closer to Bow. It could be construed as friendship, but I think Glimmer may have stronger feelings.

    Also, we don't know yet if Bow is even straight. That little moment between Bow and Kyle could be foreshadowing.


    I do see the horrible sea shrew Mermista eventually buckling and at least going on a date with the bonkers Sea Hawk.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •