Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the toys for this show?

Where are the toys for this show?

UPDATE February 18th:

From Pixel Dan: No She-Ra or MOTU on display in the Mattel showroom. Dan was told She-Ra toys are coming out in the fall, but they aren't showing them yet.

---------------
    I know that Super 7 made some for collectors, but where are the toys for kids? I think there is a rumor about Mattel doing something, but I looked and couldn't find anything concrete. I think if that is the case, then Mattel missed a big opportunity with the attention of the new show coming out. Not only that, but it is Christmas gift-buying season.

When Mattel does make toys, what would they be like? I'm hoping for a Monster High-like deal with articulation but with hands formed as a grip. Maybe even another set figures that in size to the 80s versions.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    What toys? This is not a mass-media release that everybody and their children are talking about like a blockbuster movie released on theaters everywhere, nor even a series broadcast freely to everyone's television; it's just a Netflix-exclusive thing that most people outside of the MotU fandom won't even have heard about, let alone watched, unless they specifically subscribe to that service. Super7 made it clear their two figure releases were a one-off one-of-a-kind thing they did just to promote the upcoming show during some event and that there were no plans for further figures or anything.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    What toys? This is not a mass-media release that everybody and their children are talking about like a blockbuster movie released on theaters everywhere, nor even a series broadcast freely to everyone's television; it's just a Netflix-exclusive thing that most people outside of the MotU fandom won't even have heard about, let alone watched, unless they specifically subscribe to that service. Super7 made it clear their two figure releases were a one-off one-of-a-kind thing they did just to promote the upcoming show during some event and that there were no plans for further figures or anything.
    Mattel will have their own She-Ra and the Princesses of Power toys. (see below) For a long time I've suspected that we will probably see something unveiled at 2019 Toy Fair, with a possible launch coming around Spring/Summer. The release dates for the Scholastic She-Ra and Golden Books He-Man/She-Ra books may provide a clue of when the launch will happen. The first Scholastic She-Ra book in the series was originally said to be coming in April 2019. But then another article gave a July 2019 date, which is when the Golden Books are scheduled for release.

Brian Flynn from Super7 re-confirms what Brandon Sopinsky from Mattel said back at in July at San Diego Comic Con. - Mattel will be making their own line of She-Ra toys. Super7 doesn't have the license and won't be making any additional figures from the new animated series. Netflix/DreamWorks wanted to have a figure ready in time for the premiere, so they approached Super7 and told them they had permission if they wanted to make these limited edition figures for NYCC. - Masters of the Universe Galaxy/Brian Ozone video interview with Brian Flynn. (Source)
    The discussion about She-Ra starts @ 10:35

@5:10

Newly filed Mattel trademarks applications for She-Ra, Glimmer, Catra and Bow:

Attachment 118155

SHE-RA
    IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: DOLLS, DOLL CLOTHING AND DOLL ACCESSORIES; TOY FIGURES AND ACCESSORIES THEREFOR

GLIMMER
    IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: DOLLS, DOLL CLOTHING AND DOLL ACCESSORIES; TOY FIGURES AND ACCESSORIES THEREFOR; TOY ACTION FIGURES AND ACCESSORIES THEREFOR

CATRA
    IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: DOLLS, DOLL CLOTHING AND DOLL ACCESSORIES; TOY FIGURES AND ACCESSORIES THEREFOR

BOW
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I know that Super 7 made some for collectors, but where are the toys for kids? I think there is a rumor about Mattel doing something, but I looked and couldn't find anything concrete. I think if that is the case, then Mattel missed a big opportunity with the attention of the new show coming out. Not only that, but it is Christmas gift-buying season.

When Mattel does make toys, what would they be like? I'm hoping for a Monster High-like deal with articulation but with hands formed as a grip. Maybe even another set figures that in size to the 80s versions.
    I agree that Mattel has dropped the ball if they haven't got wave 1 prepared in time for Christmas. No wonder the company is having financial issues.

I'm hoping for figures and dolls like the DC girls line that they released. A Crystal Castle playset would be cool. Also hoping that they release a 'She-Ra Classics' line re-using molds from the MOTUC line.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    I never thought someone would minimize the Netflix phenomenon,never .

Ok MOTU/POP gets a new series on Netflix ,now Netflix is a nicho services ,please !!!

Hahaha, yeah, Netflix is, umm, pretty big.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm sure they will be out next year and at Ollie's six months later.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by themodrenman View Post
    I'm sure they will be out next year and at Ollie's six months later.
    Given that the Horde is empty.

Heroic Warrior
    And those 2019 toys by mattel are based on the new animated series?

Or updated 1980s versions?

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post

Ok MOTU/POP gets a new series on Netflix ,now Netflix is a nicho services ,please !!!
    same thoughts here as I read that.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

There won't be any major toys until Netflix and Mattel discern whether or not the show is successful enough to warrant toys and collectibles. By next year, they should have enough research data to move forward.

I think I would collect them if they were figures, but it would be a hard sell for me to collect "dolls" with rooted hair and fabric clothing again,

Heroic Warrior
    And those 2019 toys by mattel are based on the new animated series?

Or updated 1980s versions?

There are quite a few Netflix kids shows with toys. My 5 year old is nuts about Super Monsters and has most of those). Beat Bugs also had a large launch of product, if I remember correctly. I mean, Netflix does have 51 million subscribers, so it's not a small thing.

Anyways, I was thinking this yesterday too. My daughter and I watched quite a few episodes yesterday morning and she is loving it (I'm enjoying it, although it's definitely not the She-Ra show I wanted to see). After watching two or three episodes she was running around and wanting to play She-Ra. Now my daughter has definitely been exposed to MOTU quite a bit (her middle name is Adora, after all) and she has had a wooden replica of the Sword of Protection hanging on her wall since she was born as well as a few MOTUC figures of her own, but this show has really upped her interest in She-Ra. She now wants a "play sword" of protection and She-Ra toys.

Mattel really should have had a small line ready with plans to expand if the show is a success. Heck, they should have done some basic "classic" inspired versions if they were feeling unsure about the show's success. It seems crazy that they didn't have something planned for the kids who would watch this and go out, looking for the toys. I originally thought this might be because the show was more intended for a teen/ young 20 something crowd but watching through the first 7 or 8 episodes, I definitely think this is intended for much younger children. Definitely the kids who still buy toys.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

My son has almost all of the Netflix Voltron stuff including the mask and blazing sword. I think it was two years ago we gave him all of the lions for his birthday so he could turn them into Voltron. Fun toys, but he wants a set with actual action figures that fit in the lions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I think I would collect them if they were figures, but it would be a hard sell for me to collect "dolls" with rooted hair and fabric clothing again,
    Figures are OK for collecting, but most of the girls I know prefer the dolls. DC Super Hero Girls dolls are great, but the quality sometimes is lacking and the way they release new dolls (instead of fashions) is infuriating. We have almost the entire line and my daughter started getting bored with them. Back in the 80's they used to release dolls with entire lines of clothing you could buy extra (Barbie, Jem, SSC, LLL, RPP and the list goes on). Even She-Ra and GG had extra fashions. Now they sell dolls IN extra fashions. It is ridiculous and really a waste. How many Wonder Woman dolls can a girl play with?
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

While they probably should have had stuff out in time for Christmas, Voltron didn't have stuff out right away either. While Voltron might be one of Netflix's most animated popular shows even its stuff doesn't appear to be flying off the shelves. They seem to be releasing the Lions dozens of different ways, but not much for unique character figures. Trollhunters stuff has already been clearanced out. I imagine the main characters will see action figure form, but those hoping for a minor character like Spinerella might end up disappointed.

Heroic Warrior
    I want the sword, shield, tiara, and chest plate for my two girls!! I want Micah’s staff and Catra’s shock-stick and headband-thing!! And I want ALL the princesses! Given the diversity I wouldn’t mind limited articulation in dynamic poses, if they were all under $10.

My girls love this show, I enjoyed it, and now I want merch!!
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post

How many Netflix shows have actually become known and renowned outside of the minority who use this paid service (as compared to the whole TV audience)? Very few, if at all; you can count them with your fingers. Most of the Netflix series so far have been failed experiments, brief flashes on a pan only noticed by those few who actually watched them before they got cancelled after their first or second half-season. Only a few Netflix series have managed to make any lasting pop-culture impact at all.

And how many Netflix series do people who do use the service actually know about? I can tell you my first cousin, who was into the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons as a child and whose two sons are also now into them because of all the MotUC toys and books and DVDs I have given to them, had no idea this new series existed, until last Tuesday when the series premiered and I sent them a link to the Netflix page of the series through WhatsApp and she answered: "Oh, cool! We have Netflix! I'll tell the kids!". That's how much promotion the SRatPoP series has gotten around here, even among their own existing Netflix userbase.

Over the past months, I have seen a few Netflix ads on the subway corridors advertising a couple of their really-really-big blockbuster series, and that's basically all anyone who is not already into Netflix may know about its contents over here. I have seen no newspaper ad (or even web ad), nothing whatsoever advertising this new series to the wider audience. Only maybe a couple mentions in non-children-aimed total-geek websites/media. I only really got to know about it because I come to these forums. Nothing to do with the degree of widespread recognition of those series broadcast on traditional television channels.

So what audience could Mattel possibly expect to have for an upcoming wave of mass retail She-Ra toys when 99% of the children out there know absolutely nothing about this new She-Ra (let alone about the old one)? At least with 200X they knew a lot of kids would actually be watching the series on Cartoon Network. I think it's clear why we aren't seeing any She-Ra toys at the stores now, when they regularly get full of merchandise even weeks ahead of the premiere of the new movie or cartoon series expected to actually make an impact among the children audience.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    They toys are for girls and not for boys anyway

So of course they should have hair and fabric.
    Like the 80s

There will probably be many different figures and doll versions of Catra and She-Ra. Those 2 and Bow and Glimmer will probably make up most of the merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    There will probably be many different figures and doll versions of Catra and She-Ra. Those 2 and Bow and Glimmer will probably make up most of the merchandise.
    What are the chances they could license things out to a company like Good Smile and get a Figma or two made? It could work on the more collectorcentic side of things, but I'm not sure how much that would work out since Figma's and their ilk are pretty expensive for their size.

POP and Customs Lover! heftysmurf76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    They toys are for girls and not for boys anyway

So of course they should have hair and fabric.
    Like the 80s
    why do they exclusively need to be for girls?, boys play with rooted hair "dolls" too

Quote Originally Posted by heftysmurf76 View Post
    why do they exclusively need to be for girls?, boys play with rooted hair "dolls" too
    I know I did in the '80s! I had every PoP figure, playset, horse and magical oversized swan I could get my hands on to mix in with my MOTU collection... and I know I wasn't alone, ha ha! This new show I could see appealing equally to both sexes, so toys will probably be marketed for all.

POP and Customs Lover! heftysmurf76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I know I did in the '80s! I had every PoP figure, playset, horse and magical oversized swan I could get my hands on to mix in with my MOTU collection... and I know I wasn't alone, ha ha! This new show I could see appealing equally to both sexes, so toys will probably be marketed for all.
    exactly! I was only allowed a select few toys myself, but regardless if I could have had them all I would have!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heftysmurf76 View Post
    I agree, the sculpted hair figures look great, but I am more of a huge fan of the rooted hair figures from the 80's. I have all but four of the Classic POP figures (I'll get the rest eventually I hope), as well as six of the DC Super Hero Girls figures. Someday I would like to get the Golden Girl & The Guardians Of The Gemstones figures.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!