Thread: Five Interesting Observations About She-Ra 2.0.

Five Interesting Observations About She-Ra 2.0.

I am noticing that while many things in She-Ra are vastly different from the Filmation original, other things put the old show into perspective. Very bizarre how it worked out. The new show seems to have reset all the key relationships to more resemble the toy line and toy canon

(1)Shadow Weaver as an abusive Mother - Even though Adora had a governess (Chakra/Shagra), I could totally see Shadow Weaver as a manipulative, abusive, "Mommie Dearest"

(2)Catra "Jealous Beauty" - The toyline had Catra as the "Jealous Beauty", but the Filmation show didn't really play up that aspect. The new show solidifies this original relationship by expanding the rivalry between Catra and Adora.

(3)Catra as She-Ra's main antagonist - The Toyline established Catra as Adora's main villain, while Filmation pushed Hordak (a MOTU character) to the forefront. The new show solidifies the original relationship by putting Catra back as the main baddie.

(4)Queen Angella's Appearance - In Filmation, she was a blonde woman who wore her hair in a bun. In the toyline, she was an angelic, willowy woman with long strawberry blonde hair, and more slender. The new show's design resembles the toy line more than the Filmation Cartoon. Even the costume looks more like the toy version of Angella.

(5)Sea Hawk's Love Interest - While SeaHawk was not in the original toy line, he had feelings for Adora, but it would have made more sense for him to be in love with Mermista. The new show makes more sense in that SeaHawk (A Man of the sea) would likely have more exposure to mer people than land lubbers.

^So I guess you could say the new show follows the toy/Mattel canon more closely than the Filmation canon.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post

(1)Shadow Weaver as an abusive Mother - Even though Adora had a governess (Chakra/Shagra), I could totally see Shadow Weaver as a manipulative, abusive, "Mommie Dearest"
    There's a whole set of terminology for how SW manipulates maternally

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...hildhood-abuse
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    There's a whole set of terminology for how SW manipulates maternally

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...hildhood-abuse
    Very interesting feature! Gaslighting seems to be a popular tactic among those who want to maintain control. Shadow Weaver gaslighted Adora (Literally with green mist) in the Filmation cartoon, and in the reboot Catra was probably the one who was getting gaslighted and emotionally abused.

To a degree, my own mother does this today, she tries to spin family history in a way that makes me question what I experienced. SW probably uses such tactics to keep people questioning if the Horde is indeed evil.

Totally Dyslexic
    Shadow Weaver is less of a mother figure in this canon than ever before if you ask me.

Adora is clearly her favorite but unlike FILMATION this time she simply told Adora lies about Etheria and treated her with respect unlike putting her under spells all the time.

Bow was suppose to be Adoras love interest. FILMATION avoided that for hat ever reason and made Sea Hawk her boyfriend instead.o The new show took that away from her again. And now the new show wants us to root for a Adora/Catra couple...*sigh*

And yes, Angellas redesign is one of the best if you ask me but i wouldnīt have needed the pink/purple hair for her to match her daughter. The Brunette hair would have been fine but thatīs just super nit picking on my part.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Uh —- I’ve been watching this and never saw adora and carta as a couple but I love sirsniffy’s points. They seem spot on. Shadow weaver always had that abusive/controlling parental vibe but here it’s more like she’s upset because she lost control.

In the new comic book she was more maternal and protected adora. Which I liked too but prefer the malevolent controlling weaver.
    Love is to die.
    Love is to not die.
    Love is to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Shadow Weaver is less of a mother figure in this canon than ever before if you ask me.

Adora is clearly her favorite but unlike FILMATION this time she simply told Adora lies about Etheria and treated her with respect unlike putting her under spells all the time.

Bow was suppose to be Adoras love interest. FILMATION avoided that for hat ever reason and made Sea Hawk her boyfriend instead.o The new show took that away from her again. And now the new show wants us to root for a Adora/Catra couple...*sigh*

And yes, Angellas redesign is one of the best if you ask me but i wouldnīt have needed the pink/purple hair for her to match her daughter. The Brunette hair would have been fine but thatīs just super nit picking on my part.
    My guess is they wanted to avoid having the relationship either look stagnant or become a plot tumor when the series eventually aired out of order. Sea Hawk could come in and out whenever they wanted to do a love story, but Bow was there all the time.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    My guess is they wanted to avoid having the relationship either look stagnant or become a plot tumor when the series eventually aired out of order. Sea Hawk could come in and out whenever they wanted to do a love story, but Bow was there all the time.
    Thatīs actually a logical explanation since they wrote out King Micah again for the same reason and to keep the status quo. Similar to the Horde never winning and the Great Rebellion never really winning either.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither