Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Episode 26: "The Portal" (SPOILERS!)

Episode 26: "The Portal" (SPOILERS!)

This thread is for the sixth episode of season 3 entitled "The Portal."

Please feel free to discuss anything before and including the episode.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    I think the most shocking part of this episode is the visual confirmation that, in fact, Mara really IS Mara—i.e., good ol' NA Mara. That was totally unexpected and doesn't seem to fit at all with anything we knew about Mara.

Mara_cropped.webp.pngAttachment 121006

Though it's not completely clear yet whether we should totally discard the MaRa theory (i.e., that Madame Razz is a gone-crazy Mara), although it seems to be implied that Mara disappeared when she closed the portal that brought Etheria into Despondos (like how later Angella got trapped (died?) when closing the second portal).

Another big question is that, if opening a portal from Despondos into the normal dimension is so potentially destructive, how come Hordak could open it just fine once before when he brought Adora into Etheria? And how come Horde Prime didn't get any signal from him back then?
    Last edited by uaxuctum; August 8, 2019 at 11:04am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I'm not entirely sure Angella died. It may simply be that she's now "trapped" outside of Despondos, maybe even on Eternia (which would be neat to see as I don't think OG Angella ever got the chance to interact with Randor and Marlena).

Did like that glare Adora gave Catra. Their friendship may finally be over in Adora's eyes now.

Of course I'm chomping at the bit to find out how Hordak will handle Entrapta's supposed betrayal. Catra's secrets have a way of biting her in the tail.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

I was literally flabbergasted to find that Mara was OUR Mara! Totally didn't see it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I was literally flabbergasted to find that Mara was OUR Mara! Totally didn't see it coming!
    I was surprised. Wasn't the previous She-Ra showing off white hair while Mara's turned out to be brown?

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    I was surprised. Wasn't the previous She-Ra showing off white hair while Mara's turned out to be brown?
    To be fair, Adora's hair and features change when she is She-Ra. Mara's hair could definitely change length and color. Also, most of the flashbacks was done in a monochrome, so we never really got all the real colors.

Heroic Warrior
    I was completely surprised to see Mara was indeed who we know as NA Mara. It will be interesting to see where that goes. Also, it seemed that Micah was going to tell Angela that he wasn't dead, but rather elsewhere, so it sounds like there is more to his story too. Are we to presume that the First Ones are from Eternia? Is Mara from Eternia too? Can't wait to see even more if this mythology unfold!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I was completely surprised to see Mara was indeed who we know as NA Mara. It will be interesting to see where that goes. Also, it seemed that Micah was going to tell Angela that he wasn't dead, but rather elsewhere, so it sounds like there is more to his story too. Are we to presume that the First Ones are from Eternia? Is Mara from Eternia too? Can't wait to see even more if this mythology unfold!
    Stevenson has said that Adora is from Eternia which means, presumably, that the First Ones are Eternians.

Apparently when the Tung-Lashor trailer debuted at SDCC (the one with the goggles is Kobra Khan, isn't he?), Stevenson said that more MOTU elements are coming. But has also tried to dampen expectations for He-Man himself appearing.

Personally, I think it would be really cool to see Adora connect with one of her ancestors or related characters like Wun-Dar or He-Ro. You can get away with stuff there that you can't with He-Man.

Wun-Dar can totally be an anti-hero She-Ra has to fight. He-Ro could be kind of goofy. (He has a goofy face in toy form.)

You've got a lot of pressure to play He-Man seriously and heroically.

Whereas you could get away with making Wun-Dar the Venom to She-Ra's Spider-man or something.

Having She-Ra meet He-Ro, Veena, Sharella, and King Grayskull answers the "what is Grayskull?" question and "Where did she come from?" without even needing to do He-Man, Randor, or Marlena.

One of the things I keep coming back to:

IF they wanted to make Keldor Hordak's ex-apprentice and if Adora is Adam's twin, Adora would have needed to have been born 1000 years ago, right?

I keep coming back around to the idea that maybe there's time travel laced into the meta-story.

So maybe we hit a future point where Hordak is trying to kill baby Adora and grown up Adora takes her infant self and throws her through the portal, knowing that will keep her safe. That's kind of empowering, right? If Adora "orphans" herself because it's the best tactical option and it means she knows everything she needs to know to fight Hordak.

I keep thinking that time on the outside might not line up with time inside Despondos. It could be a loop. Mara could be Adora's successor AND predecessor.

Will Horde Prime be visually distinctive enough from Hordak? Hordak's little flashback sequence didn't seem to indicate as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Exor View Post
    Will Horde Prime be visually distinctive enough from Hordak? Hordak's little flashback sequence didn't seem to indicate as much.
    If they make him too visually distinct, it undermines the idea of Hordak being a clone, doesn't it? Granted there can probably be some visual cues, Horde Prime could be bigger, look older, maybe even have some battle scars from his lifetime of war. But since we don't know the full scope of what Hordak's flaw compared to Horde Prime is (is it just that he's falling apart, or is there something more significant given those failed fetal clones?), you might be right that Horde Prime will be something of a pallet swap. Especially since Hordak seems to insinuate the Horde have the ability to move minds into new bodies. Why would the emperor of the known universe, who saw himself as so superior he used his own genes as the foundation for an army and tossed out his alleged best general for being imperfect, suffer a mutilated body for himself when he could just body slide into one that's healthy and in its prime?

In MOTUC, Horde Prime is essentially an older red Hordak with ominous red and black armor and the skeletal cybernetic hands from POP. Just because Hordak is a clone doesn't mean he was never genetically modified to look different, nor does it mean Horde Prime won't wear at least similar menacing armor.

It would also be confusing to viewers if two very important characters are almost visually indistinguishable. Additionally, if Horde Prime looks identical to Hordak, why show him draped in shadow? Seems like they're setting up for a reveal next season.
    Last edited by Lord Exor; August 4, 2019 at 05:23pm.

Heroic Warrior
    since Mara was originally from the New Adventures of He-Man, do you think the First Ones homeworld is Primus? i still believe Adora is from Eternia, maybe Eternia is a First Ones colony world.

In MOTUC, Horde Prime is essentially an older red Hordak with ominous red and black armor and the skeletal cybernetic hands from POP. Just because Hordak is a clone doesn't mean he was never genetically modified to look different, nor does it mean Horde Prime won't wear at least similar menacing armor.

It would also be confusing to viewers if two very important characters are almost visually indistinguishable. Additionally, if Horde Prime looks identical to Hordak, why show him draped in shadow? Seems like they're setting up for a reveal next season.
    I don't think it would be all that confusing given the idea of Hollywood Cloning, but I agree him being draped in shadows would seem to indicate they plan to have Horde Prime look different. But this is definitely a very ego-driven character given his method of operation, so the idea he'd physically modify himself would seem to rub against that. Powered armor would probably be a better way to go, and I still say it's likely he'll be bulkier, contrasting with Hordak's thinner and more sickly appearance.

Its certainly plausible that Hordak and his brother clones were modified to look different, at least on an aesthetic level, but the flashback into Hordak's memories seems to indicate Horde Prime maintained himself as the physical template.

If they do lookalike I think Hord Prime will up being all blue and likley not have the more skelital features that Hordak has.

That being said I wouldn't have minded if they had taken a bit more inspiration from magical girl genre and had Hord Prime be the kind big planet sized entity that most their villains tend to be. Would have been a nice update that took inspiration from more modern works while remaining in line with how filmation depicted Hord Prime.

Or maybe they could still have it both ways and have somthing like that be his true form

Last edited by A Dalek; August 4, 2019 at 05:59pm.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    If they do lookalike I think Hord Prime will up being all blue and likley not have the more skelital features that Hordak has.

That being said I wouldn't have minded if they had taken a bit more inspiration from magical girl genre and had Hord Prime be the kind big planet sized entity that most their villains tend to be. Would have been a nice update that took inspiration from more modern works while remaining in line with how filmation depicted Hord Prime.

Or maybe they could still have it both ways and have somthing like that be his true form

http://i.imgur.com/q41eE26.jpg
    I don't know, galactic sized villains seem so overdone. The blue skin would be interesting since a going theory now is that Imp is meant to be one of Hordak's imperfect clone bodies (albeit one that survived, though I'm not sure I believe that). The white, skeletal skin being another symptom of Hordak's physical degeneration makes sense. Although I hope they don't try to make Horde Prime look blubbery, not like fat, but like rounded. I'm not a fan of the face under the classic's toy's helmet, and there are ways to have angular, sharp features and not look like an undead.

I think both Angella and Micah will end up still being alive. I'm not a fan of Hordak being a reject clone. I never really cared for Horde Prime in the original show, so I would have preferred Hordak just trying to contact the rest of his Horde Army (Mantenna, Leech, and more traditional Horde Troopers) instead of looking to Horde Prime for approval and the rest of the clones invading. I'd rather Hordak be pure evil and not be a sympathetic figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I think both Angella and Micah will end up still being alive. I'm not a fan of Hordak being a reject clone. I never really cared for Horde Prime in the original show, so I would have preferred Hordak just trying to contact the rest of his Horde Army (Mantenna, Leech, and more traditional Horde Troopers) instead of looking to Horde Prime for approval and the rest of the clones invading. I'd rather Hordak be pure evil and not be a sympathetic figure.
    Do we even know how Micah died? I agree Angella has a chance to show up against, but I thought Micah died in battle.

I think he was about to say "I'm not dead" before she took off. I don't think we were ever told how exactly he died. Unless we are shown a scene where he actually dies pretty clearly, I'm going with my theory that they are both still alive.

Heroic Warrior
    I think he was about to say "I'm not dead" before she took off. I don't think we were ever told how exactly he died. Unless we are shown a scene where he actually dies pretty clearly, I'm going with my theory that they are both still alive.
    i think he said I Love you.

Good advice. Too often has a believed to be dead character turned out to be alive because no body was found.

Heroic Warrior
    i think that idea might have potential like say if Zodak appears he could be a clone that defected to the First Ones or decided to become an observer of the universe.

Love the reveal of Mara being Mara. Awesome.

I also love Micah being so short. Helps explain how Glimmer looks as she does.

All in all an awesome finale.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Stevenson has said that Adora is from Eternia which means, presumably, that the First Ones are Eternians.

Apparently when the Tung-Lashor trailer debuted at SDCC (the one with the goggles is Kobra Khan, isn't he?), Stevenson said that more MOTU elements are coming. But has also tried to dampen expectations for He-Man himself appearing.

Personally, I think it would be really cool to see Adora connect with one of her ancestors or related characters like Wun-Dar or He-Ro. You can get away with stuff there that you can't with He-Man.

Wun-Dar can totally be an anti-hero She-Ra has to fight. He-Ro could be kind of goofy. (He has a goofy face in toy form.)

You've got a lot of pressure to play He-Man seriously and heroically.

Whereas you could get away with making Wun-Dar the Venom to She-Ra's Spider-man or something.

Having She-Ra meet He-Ro, Veena, Sharella, and King Grayskull answers the "what is Grayskull?" question and "Where did she come from?" without even needing to do He-Man, Randor, or Marlena.

One of the things I keep coming back to:

IF they wanted to make Keldor Hordak's ex-apprentice and if Adora is Adam's twin, Adora would have needed to have been born 1000 years ago, right?

I keep coming back around to the idea that maybe there's time travel laced into the meta-story.

So maybe we hit a future point where Hordak is trying to kill baby Adora and grown up Adora takes her infant self and throws her through the portal, knowing that will keep her safe. That's kind of empowering, right? If Adora "orphans" herself because it's the best tactical option and it means she knows everything she needs to know to fight Hordak.

I keep thinking that time on the outside might not line up with time inside Despondos. It could be a loop. Mara could be Adora's successor AND predecessor.

i like the Wun-Darr and He-Ro ideas. i had this idea the He-Ro could be a First One that made the Sword of Protection.

Heroic Warrior
    A great finale to a great "mini-season"!

Season 3 was easily the best yet, with plenty of wonderful character moments and developments and a tightly written storyline. I may have missed seeing the other members of the Princess Alliance (or any new members, apart from Huntara), but it was good to focus on the "core" characters.

I'm very interested in the new mythology that is being woven. And now I wish that I'd gotten the MOTUC Mara action figure to add her to my PoP display!

Horde Prime's narcissism can go both ways here. It's entirely possible he would alter the appearance of his clones simply because he sees himself as above them and uniquely superior. That being said, I fancy the original sibling dynamic over a potentially convoluted cloning plot. I suppose we'll see how they handle it. Hordak being Horde Prime's younger brother hammers home just how awful Prime is to his own kind/family; Hordak was kept in a position of little authority within the Horde hierarchy despite being a potential heir.
    Last edited by Lord Exor; August 5, 2019 at 07:47pm.