Thread: "Why He-Man Is "Not on the Table" for Netflix's 'She-Ra' Reboot"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Why He-Man Is "Not on the Table" for Netflix's 'She-Ra' Reboot"

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

So that's cuz Noelle doesn't want it.

I don't think He-Man would fit well with the Netflix She-Ra, so I am fine about that. I don't think the creative people behind the new cartoon get how to present a non-comical, heroic, human male. Mattel said at Power-Con that He-Man would not be in it.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Just came up with a fan theory that Kyle is secretly Prince Adam and regardless of whether Adora reaches Eternia or not, he'll never discover his true identity.
    Solves the why no He-Man dilemma. People that want him in the series can choose to believe it's Kyle, raised to never know his true identity, people that want no connection to He-Man can just go with the generally accepted belief, he's just a horde cadet.

In certain versions of the She-Ra mythos, she was raised as "Despara", why not have Prince Adam raised as "Kyle"?

Imagine the potential fan fiction?!
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Hardcore MOTUC Collector KelvAcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    Just came up with a fan theory that Kyle is secretly Prince Adam and regardless of whether Adora reaches Eternia or not, he'll never discover his true identity.
    Solves the why no He-Man dilemma. People that want him in the series can choose to believe it's Kyle, raised to never know his true identity, people that want no connection to He-Man can just go with the generally accepted belief, he's just a horde cadet.

In certain versions of the She-Ra mythos, she was raised as "Despara", why not have Prince Adam raised as "Kyle"?
    I love it!!!!!
    My MOTUC collection here ====> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3mddgXWJ7M

Widget
    If He-Man is not going to appear in the series (which for the record, I don't have an issue with), that just furthers my opinion that Adora's transformation chant should've been "For the honor of Light Hope!".

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
    If He-Man is not going to appear in the series (which for the record, I don't have an issue with), that just furthers my opinion that Adora's transformation chant should've been "For the honor of Light Hope!".
    Im sorry to destroy your theory but she doest know whom the voice belongs to she is hearing.

Similar to NA He-Man she should say: For the honor of Etheria. Since she is the defender for Etheria in this canon.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I don't want or even pretend to He-Man crossin' over just like in the original series. Its She-ra time up for sure. And even if other plans are wip for He-Man by Sony or Dreamworks, I could totally see Adam/battlecat popping into this animated universe just for a special episode event; you see multiverse works as proven by DCcomics on TV and on film, just note Superman and Flash for example both are currently shown succesfully on TV but on the big screen too!
    You cant do this without consequences by the fans. She-ra is just an important part of the MOTU franchise and viceversa, so why split them?

Just my two cents
    Last edited by Triklops 1; December 26, 2018 at 07:14pm.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I don't think He-Man would fit well with the Netflix She-Ra, so I am fine about that. I don't think the creative people behind the new cartoon get how to present a non-comical, heroic, human male. Mattel said at Power-Con that He-Man would not be in it.
    I am happy to hear that. I am not a fan of the way men seem to be portrayed in a lot of new media. Men are not bumbling oafs - LOL!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Personally, I love seeing strong women who can hold their own without necessarily needing a man around to save them.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Personally, I love seeing strong women who can hold their own without necessarily needing a man around to save them.
    And why do you relate He-Man with this?

He-Man was never the savior of her, She-Ra never was the sidekick of him, they were a true team up and the power of love between brother and sister was the most important.
    It would great if this show would use that idea ,it would be ...progresive.

I think that any appearance by He-Man would be linked to Adora finding her way home, which is a major story. So theyre not going to give that away by saying in an interview He-Man? Yeah, he appears in the cliffhanger at the end of season 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Umm forget HeMan who has enjoyed 3 series already .

This new She Ra is missing at least a dozen characters from the POP series . Sure we all love HeMan but why should he get first choice over Modulok or Peek a Blue ?

Also the FIRST ONES are very different advanced alien tech Eternians and possibly extinct . The classic HeMan image does not fit .

I dunno about you guys but i would rather have no HeMan than some cyborg taking orders from a hologram AI calling herself sorceress .
    Last edited by Lokus; August 8, 2019 at 09:25am.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    I think that any appearance by He-Man would be linked to Adora finding her way home, which is a major story. So they’re not going to give that away by saying in an interview “He-Man? Yeah, he appears in the cliffhanger at the end of season 4”
    I think it's more to do with Mattel's unwillingness to finally ditch the stupid separation between the IPs of He-Man and She-Ra, which are totally separate with respect to copyrights and licensing because Mattel is a toy company with toy-company mentality and originally She-Ra was developed as a doll line for girls, intended to imitate/replicate the success of the He-Man action figure line for boys. But, because of the incredible sexism that still remains in the toy industry, it was never intended that girls would play with "action figures" nor that boys would play with "girlie dolls". So they marketed and licensed the He-Man line and the spinoff She-Ra line as two completely separate things, and their connection was only really established in the Filmation cartoon.

It appears that Mattel had other plans for the He-Man side of things (most importantly, the new movie with Sony) while DreamWorks was working on the new She-Ra, and it appears they didn't want to allow two different versions of (a unified) MotU to run in parallel, and they (and/or the creative teams of each project) were unwilling to work with a single unified canon ( la MotUC canon) that both projects would rely on. So apparently they told the She-Ra team that the He-Man side of things was basically off-limits for them and that, while some general references to the overall mythology were allowed, use of the "non-She-Ra" characters (and particularly of He-Man) was to be avoided and that they should focus and concentrate on the She-Ra side of things.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; August 8, 2019 at 10:24am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    I think it's more to do with Mattel's unwillingness to finally ditch the stupid separation between the IPs of He-Man and She-Ra, which are totally separate with respect to copyrights and licensing because Mattel is a toy company with toy-company mentality and originally She-Ra was developed as a doll line for girls, intended to imitate/replicate the success of the He-Man action figure line for boys. But, because of the incredible sexism that still remains in the toy industry, it was never intended that girls would play with "action figures" nor that boys would play with "girlie dolls". So they marketed and licensed the He-Man line and the spinoff She-Ra line as two completely separate things, and their connection was only really established in the Filmation cartoon.

It appears that Mattel had other plans for the He-Man side of things (most importantly, the new movie with Sony) while DreamWorks was working on the new She-Ra, and it appears they didn't want to allow two different versions of (a unified) MotU to run in parallel, and they (and/or the creative teams of each project) were unwilling to work with a single unified canon ( la MotUC canon) that both projects would rely on. So apparently they told the She-Ra team that the He-Man side of things was basically off-limits for them and that, while some general references to the overall mythology were allowed, use of the "non-She-Ra" characters (and particularly of He-Man) was to be avoided and that they should focus and concentrate on the She-Ra side of things.

The inclusion of Tung Lashor and Mara says that this isn't even close to being true.

Also, "not on the table" doesn't necessarily - or automatically - mean "off limits"; what it could very easily mean is "not where we're focused right now" or "not where we want our story to go in the end".I

And, if we're being perfectly honest, this version of She-Ra doesn't need He-Man or that side of the MotU franchise mythos in order to work.

Quote Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
    The inclusion of Tung Lashor and Mara says that this isn't even close to being true.

Also, "not on the table" doesn't necessarily - or automatically - mean "off limits"; what it could very easily mean is "not where we're focused right now" or "not where we want our story to go in the end".I

And, if we're being perfectly honest, this version of She-Ra doesn't need He-Man or that side of the MotU franchise mythos in order to work.
    Don't you know Tung Lashor appeared in the She-Ra cartoon as a member of the Horde? (Rattlor did too)

And Mara is from NA, which is more far removed from the original He-Man than She-Ra is. In fact, the fact they went with a character that originally was so far away from and unconnected with Eternia, for such a central role in the new First Ones story, says they seemed to be trying to avoid referencing specific well-known vintage-He-Man Eternian characters.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    Not featuring or referencing characters from the MotU/He-Man side of the franchise does not mean that they don't have access to those characters.

I would also point out that the extent to which Mara is interwoven into the lore of Noelle's take on Etheria and She-Ra means that she got access to the character almost immediately upon developing the series and is an indicator that she and her team have far greater access to character rights and resources than people seem to think that they do, but are picking and choosing what they use and what they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post

This feels 100% spot on to me. We've seen a few examples of this throughout the years. First with the movie development cycles and then again with Super7. Perhaps we're seeing it again here.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I talked to one of the writers at Power-Con. While she wouldn't confirm it 100%, she basically told me that Leech and Mantenna should appear at some point.

We finally have a clear answer as to why He-Man was not on the table for Noelle and her team: DreamWorks only licensed She-Ra, while Mattel licensed He-Man to a different, rival team (the ones producing the MotU Revelation series just announced at PowerCon).

So, if we had any doubt, it's now crystal clear we'll never get to see Noelle and her team's take on the full MotUverse story, but just the fragmentary one centered on She-Ra, with marginal but very intriguing references to the rest, thus leaving us forever with this uneasy sense of incompleteness and countless unanswered and unanswerable questions of what could have been (just like what happened with 200X, where the Horde was briefly introduced and a She-Ra figure seen at SDCC, but we never got to really see that side of things play out, in this case not because of licensing issues due to the He-Man/She-Ra copyrights split, but simply because the series got outright cancelled).