Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Why He-Man Is "Not on the Table" for Netflix's 'She-Ra' Reboot"

I'm not afraid of negativity, I just disagree with a lot of it, and especially the kind of negativity that involves baseless bashing for the sake of it, and there is a lot of that on the forums. That's what I have issue with, not that people have differing opinions, but the often snarky and rude way that those messages come across. You can only have so much negativity before it becomes toxic. In her book The Conscious Catwoman Explains Life On Earth, Julie Newmar quotes "Drink from the glass half full or you'll go thirsty". I have no intention of going thirsty for anyone.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    ...the kind of negativity that involves baseless bashing for the sake of it, and there is a lot of that on the forums. That's what I have issue with, not that people have differing opinions, but the often snarky and rude way that those messages come across.
    Where? Because I see a lot of positivity. And out of the criticism here, I see a lot that isn't bashing.
    If you focus only on the negative, then that's all you will see.

If you really want to check out mindless, pointless bashing, then I invite you to visit YouTube

I wish people were being kinder to me since my return, the way I've been treated by certain people has made me wonder why I came back, and I feel it's already time to just leave again, permanently that is. I came back to catch up with old friends and to celebrate the New She-Ra series, but it seems it's a crime to be positive about things. Not a lot of people have been kind to me when I've been upset lately, and I have never sought out to be rude or snarky the way so many people in the Anti-She-Ra crowd have been lately. It seems only negativity is rewarded on the forums lately, and that's just not the He-Man.Org I once knew and loved. I would have thought He-Man and She-Ra would be more proud of those who have welcomed their new incarnations with open arms and heart and tried to be positive and rejoicing that we have a new POP in the first place.
    I don't understand where you came to the conclusion that negativity here on the forums is rewarded. That is not true at all, nor is there any proof to support that. Instead, I see a lot of discussion and debate here, and a lot of it is positive. Difference of opinion is common in our fandom. It has existed since the dawn of the MOTU Mailing List over twenty years ago. Heck, think back to how many people hated the 200X He-Man when the 2001 SDCC statue was revealed online. There's almost always a push-back towards new things. It takes time for some fans to warm to change. I've witnessed it more times than I can recall in our fandom, and in other toy / cartoon / comic communities.

These are forums, so it's a cornucopia of different fans. It's not like some FB pages or groups, or even personal pages, where the focus is on just one position or opinion. That sort of thing can be nice if you want to be with like-minded people from time to time, but there's the risk of isolating one's self to just that type of environment which can close someone off from the world around them. No one has to agree with someone else, but it's still good to expose ourselves to different opinions. IMO, as long as people are constructive with their difference of opinion, it can result in healthy discourse.

At least here on these forums, just because someone doesn't agree with another person doesn't make it an attack... unless they make it personal on purpose, targeting the individual directly. In which case, people should report the post to the mods and let them handle it. But please make sure it's something aimed at you in a hostile way, and not simply a difference of opinion about the topic at hand.

I haven't seen anyone treating you poorly, or intentionally being unkind to you. Instead, I see you debating with people you don't agree with. Which is a natural part of conversation in our fandom, or any fandom. You're a welcome member of the community, Mikey. But you also need to view yourself like that.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Hardcore MOTUC Collector KelvAcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    Just came up with a fan theory that Kyle is secretly Prince Adam and regardless of whether Adora reaches Eternia or not, he'll never discover his true identity.
    Solves the why no He-Man dilemma. People that want him in the series can choose to believe it's Kyle, raised to never know his true identity, people that want no connection to He-Man can just go with the generally accepted belief, he's just a horde cadet.

In certain versions of the She-Ra mythos, she was raised as "Despara", why not have Prince Adam raised as "Kyle"?
    I love it!!!!!
    My MOTUC collection here ====> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3mddgXWJ7M

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

I haven't seen anyone treating you poorly, or intentionally being unkind to you. Instead, I see you debating with people you don't agree with. Which is a natural part of conversation in our fandom, or any fandom. You're a welcome member of the community, Mikey. But you also need to view yourself like that.
    I'm sorry Val, I was just hurt and deeply upset, and not all of it was due to forum related stuff. The last few years of my life have not been kind and I see where I may have overreacted. Properties like New She-Ra help lessen that pain, and it hurt to see something that has helped me come alive again being the subject of negativity. To be totally honest, without New POP, I might not have come back to the forums at all, having been soured on social media in general. I just wanted to love something new again and cheer on the new series. I'm not hard to get along with, you know that, but I am sensitive and don't take to hurt all that well.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

I'm sorry Val, I was just hurt and deeply upset, and not all of it was due to forum related stuff. The last few years of my life have not been kind and I see where I may have overreacted. Properties like New She-Ra help lessen that pain, and it hurt to see something that has helped me come alive again being the subject of negativity. To be totally honest, without New POP, I might not have come back to the forums at all, having been soured on social media in general. I just wanted to love something new again and cheer on the new series. I'm not hard to get along with, you know that, but I am sensitive and don't take to hurt all that well.
    All I can ask is to please do your best to know it's not personal... well, unless it clearly is personal.
    AKA: "You stink, Mikey! Get lost, ya jerk!"
    Clearly I do NOT mean that. It's an over-the-top, silly example. But something like that would be a personal attack, and not okay, and the mods won't stand for something like that.

But when it comes to discussion online, and in this case discussion about a cartoon, we have to learn to co-exist with our differences of opinion about the show. Which is why the rules say criticism is okay, just so long as it's constructive.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

All I can ask is to please do your best to know it's not personal... well, unless it clearly is personal.
    Clearly I do NOT mean that. It's an over-the-top, silly example. But something like that would be a personal attack, and not okay, and the mods won't stand for something like that.

But when it comes to discussion online, and in this case discussion about a cartoon, we have to learn to co-exist with our differences of opinion about the show. Which is why the rules say criticism is okay, just so long as it's constructive.
    I understand, and I knew you were only kidding. Thanks for also saying I'm a welcome member.

POP and Customs Lover! heftysmurf76's Avatar

Not to stir the pot and keep derailing this thread Val, but I witnessed folks in the other She-Ra thread specifically calling Mikey out BY NAME for certain attitudes and being too positive. They didn't say he's a jerk, but they weren't kind in the way they brought him up and it disheartened me. I can hardly blame him for taking some things a tad personally.

I thought to myself "when did this place get so nasty toward each other", granted I haven't been here in a while, as a mod or even a lurker, but I have to admit to you it really bothered and discouraged me. And hey if it's inferred that a "mod should have caught that" or whatever its still not ok IMHO. Back when I was modding here I don't recall us letting such call outs stand for days or even hours on end. Maybe the place has changed a little since then, You surely haven't but I dunno, I was pretty astonished and as I said, saddened...

On Topic: I will miss He-Man not showing up any time soon, but I'm so happy Adora/She-Ra gets this time to really shine, and she shines VERY brightly indeed in this new incarnation!

Quote Originally Posted by heftysmurf76 View Post
    Not to stir the pot and keep derailing this thread Val, but I witnessed folks in the other She-Ra thread specifically calling Mikey out BY NAME for certain attitudes and being too positive. They didn't say he's a jerk, but they weren't kind in the way they brought him up and it disheartened me. I can hardly blame him for taking some things a tad personally.

I thought to myself "when did this place get so nasty toward each other", granted I haven't been here in a while, as a mod or even a lurker, but I have to admit to you it really bothered and discouraged me. And hey if it's inferred that a "mod should have caught that" or whatever its still not ok IMHO. Back when I was modding here I don't recall us letting such call outs stand for days or even hours on end. Maybe the place has changed a little since then, You surely haven't but I dunno, I was pretty astonished and as I said, saddened...

On Topic: I will miss He-Man not showing up any time soon, but I'm so happy Adora/She-Ra gets this time to really shine, and she shines VERY brightly indeed in this new incarnation!
    Thanks for looking out for me Hefty, it means a lot to me to have old friends like you being so kind and friendly. *Hugs*.

Thanks for looking out for me Hefty, it means a lot to me to have old friends like you being so kind and friendly. *Hugs*.
    no problem bud, like I said, it's really been bothering me, i actually wanted to say something sooner, but thought better of it, glad I decided to speak my mind though

Quote Originally Posted by heftysmurf76 View Post
    Not to stir the pot and keep derailing this thread Val, but I witnessed folks in the other She-Ra thread specifically calling Mikey out BY NAME for certain attitudes and being too positive.
    If users can point out when a specific user is being too negative, the pendulum should be able to swing in the other direction. That doesn't mean anyone is being attacked or insulted. It typically just means people with a differing POV don't understand the other person's excitement or praise, and then you have a chance to enlighten them on your perspective.

I've had people here say similar to me numerous times. That they felt I was being too supportive/positive towards Mattel, or Super7, etc, over a specific topic. So I would either explain why I felt that way, or I'd opt not to. Regardless, I understood that they were confused about my position.

I understand why Mikey is very positive about something he loves (as are other fans who love the new cartoon). But I can also understand why someone who dislikes the show doesn't understand that level of enthusiasm. So, rather than take offense, it's a golden opportunity for someone like Mikey to exalt the finer points of the show.

It's all about context. Someone saying I'm being too positive is way different then someone saying something along the lines of "You're just kissing so-and-so's behind because you want something." One is a lack of understanding of a different POV, and the other is clearly an attack. If someone does the latter, it definitely should be brought to the attention of a mod.

In regard to what you said about YouTube before, Val, I am an avid fan of the website, especially for TV show/movie clips, and music videos/concerts, but I never actually read the fan commentaries. I prefer to enjoy the things I love without all the bashing that goes on at the website. I don't even bother to try and argue with anyone on that website, because although YouTube has a lot of positive things to offer, I don't want my experiences there to be tainted with the negativity of others.

I'm trying to be like that here, but I'm at heart an enthusiastic and passionate fan of the things I love and I like to share that with a more friendlier atmosphere, and it does sting a bit when I'm criticised for positivity. I don't want anything from Noelle Stevenson - except for more seasons and episodes and perhaps friendship if I'm ever fortunate enough to talk to her in person or online. It's like the celebrities I written to - or about - given my reputation as a freelance music journalist, I'm not out for personal gain, but I've always been flattered by the gifts I've been bestowed, even when it's something simple like a thankyou in a musician's CD liner notes for a free CD or other merchandise, and the chance for my articles to make the rounds online and make people happy with my writing.

In regard to what you said about YouTube before, Val, I am an avid fan of the website, especially for TV show/movie clips, and music videos/concerts, but I never actually read the fan commentaries.
    if you ever do, please proceed with caution. There's some really nasty things said on YouTube. It can be troll-central at times.

Despite Voltron being one of Netflix's most popular animated original shows, the Voltron fanbase has gotten really toxic on Facebook and Twitter. Hopefully, the She-Ra and He-Man fanbase never get to that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Despite Voltron being one of Netflix's most popular animated original shows, the Voltron fanbase has gotten really toxic on Facebook and Twitter. Hopefully, the She-Ra and He-Man fanbase never get to that level.
    Yikes. That's not good.

I can't speak to any of the MOTU / POP groups out there, but on the Org FB page, the Org's She-Ra FB page, and Hunter Knight's She-Ra FB page, I'd say people are very positive and excited for the most part.

I know things started off a bit rough. But, most people who didn't like the show moved on.

Thanks for clarifying Val, that makes a little more sense. I can't help but feel Mikey has a right to be upset with all teh negativity slung at him, but it is in our own hands to deal with our issues and let it slide off our backs, so i get that, I just don't like it when people are specifically called out when all they are doing is being positive. But like I said, I may not like it, but its up to me to face it with more positivity... Kill em with kindness i guess, it just gets to be a bit much sometimes tho...

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    *attempts to get back on topic*

I'm not bothered by He-Man not being in this show, or never being in it; Princesses of Power is its own thing, and it's working fine being separate from MotU. One thing I would like, though, is to find out what Etheria's connection to Eternia is. There has to be something, since she's invoking Grayskull to turn into She-Ra, and it doesn't seem like Castle Grayskull's on Etheria. Maybe the First Ones and their tech are from Eternia? I'm hoping we'll find out.
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KidTDragon View Post
    There has to be something, since she's invoking Grayskull to turn into She-Ra, and it doesn't seem like Castle Grayskull's on Etheria. Maybe the First Ones and their tech are from Eternia? I'm hoping we'll find out.
    If I recall correctly, in the first episode or so when Adora first gets the sword and has all of those visions and flashes, and hears voices, the word "Eternia" is said. But that's the only reference to it that I noticed (though I've only watched about 6 episodes of the new show).

I agree that it would be nice to get some kind of explanation on the connection.

Emiliano and I had a fun theory. But I think it may have been mostly Emiliano's idea. Is it in the 200x pitch bible? I can't remember, as it's been so long.

Anyway, it was that instead of Eternia being the center of the universe, it was part of a solar system that was at the center.
    And there Infinita was as on the opposite side of orbit of Eternia, so they lived in balance. But Infinita got knocked out of orbit and sent out into the dark edges of the universe (to later become Horde World, and part of Horde Prime's essence),
    and then the First Ones created Etheria to restore the balance to the orbit, and thus the balance to the center of the universe.

IMO, it's a great concept, and possibly something like that is at work here?

I really love how Eternia was portrayed as the cross section of magic and technology, and at the universe's center. A lot has been fleshed out about that with the Star Seed, etc. And, having a balanced orbit makes a LOT of sense to me with a sister planet.

Of course, that makes you wonder about the sun that's at the center of that solar system... what secrets would THAT hold?
    All theoretical, of course, and not necessarily applicable to this new cartoon. But then again, maybe...?

Nah, man, that's where Sha Ka Ree is
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

if you ever do, please proceed with caution. There's some really nasty things said on YouTube. It can be troll-central at times.
    I wish there were moderators on YouTube then, it's such a great website with a lot of awesome content, just like ours - He-Man.Org - it's a shame to let the trolls ruin it for people like me, perhaps in the future, maybe.

Widget
    RQ1D9qsr.jpg

rebbeca sugar: you have done well, my foreshadow pupil

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    I wish there were moderators on YouTube then, it's such a great website with a lot of awesome content, just like ours - He-Man.Org - it's a shame to let the trolls ruin it for people like me, perhaps in the future, maybe.
    Just treat it like any website with a comments section and don't read the comments.
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Quote Originally Posted by KidTDragon View Post
    Just treat it like any website with a comments section and don't read the comments.
    That's the way I treat YouTube now. I just watch the stuff I love and ignore the comments. Still, I feel for the creators of the content in question and wish they were treated better by people.

About the 44:30 mark is the comment about no He-Man in the new She-Ra cartoon from Power-Con 2018.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-of-MOTU-Panel

If the show is called She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, why would I expect he-man? I understand the story is one mythos and one is a spin-off but they’re not conjoined twins. Can’t one shine without the other.

It was like the 200X show. I know she-ra was planned eventually but he-man was nice to see having his own adventures — which he usually did more than she-ra. It seemed someone was always guest starring on the filmation show to remind us it belonged to the he-man universe.
    Love is to die.
    Love is to not die.
    Love is to dance.