View Poll Results: What do you call the 3 daily meals?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper

3 11.54%
  • Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner

21 80.77%
  • Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper

1 3.85%
  • Other (please explain below)

1 3.85%

Thread: What do you call the 3 daily meals?

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

What do you call the 3 daily meals?

We debated my dad on this on Christmas Eve, lol. He calls them "Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper", and he claims that most farmers do that. But most of the rest of our family say "Breakfast, Lunch, Supper", with a few folks saying "Dinner" for "Supper" instead.

I also say BLS, and like to reserve "dinner" for more formal affairs, or if I'm going out with a friend ("Ya wanna go out for dinner this weekend?")

How about you and your family?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey! Someone "Other"ed but didn't explain!
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The only people I've ever heard saying "supper" were old. Very, very old.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The only people I've ever heard saying "supper" were old. Very, very old.
    Hey now!

I always assumed "supper" was more a rural/southern thing.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Doesn't matter. I had a similar argument with my grandma, I told her there are 4 food groups. She said there were 5. We argued off and on for 2 weeks. Now there is a food pyramid, so it didn't really matter. She's long gone, and that 2 weeks of irritation was nothing more than a waste of time that would have been better spent enjoying each other company.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Soda or Pop?

Breakfast, Dinner, Supper. I tend to eat light stuff before going to bed instead of dinner. Actually, my breakfast is actually my Lunch.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

I vote BLD. Supper is just a word we (my family and friends) don’t use a lot and just see it as a word replacement in the UK. But call me a hobbit cause I like breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper......

https://www.dictionary.com/e/supper-vs-dinner/

In parts of the US, supper and dinner are used interchangeably to refer to the evening meal, but elsewhere dinner is the midday meal, akin to lunch, and supper, the evening meal. What do these words really mean?

The word dinner does not necessarily imply the time of day. Depending on where you are, it may mean the midday meal or the evening meal, but it always refers to the main meal of the day. The word dinner comes from the Vulgar Latin word disjējūnāre meaning “to break one’s fast.”

Supper, on the other hand, is associated with the evening. It comes from the Old French word souper meaning “evening meal.” It has traditionally been used in the context of the last meal taken by Jesus before his crucifixion, known as the Last Supper.

So if someone asks you over for dinner, how do you know what time they expect you? That may depend on where you are. In 1828, Noah Webster wrote that “The dinner of fashionable people would be the supper of rustics,” reflecting the prominence of dinner as the term for a midday meal in some rural parts of the country. Regardless of time of day, if you are going over for dinner, you can expect a feast.

More recent data from Google Ngram suggest that use of the word supper has been declining since the beginning of the 1900s, while the use of lunch has been increasing. Dinner holds the top spot on the lexical food chain as the most widely used term of the three.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

With Supper being an alternative to Dinner. I don't typically use that word, but I've always taken the two as interchangeable. This thread is the first that I've heard of Dinner being used in place of Lunch. That seems kind of odd to me. But still nowhere as bad as some areas of the south using "Coke" as a generic term for any and all sodas.

Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper. When I was younger - elementary to high school, I guess - it was Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner/Supper (used interchangeably).

Breakfast, lunch, dinner.... rarely used the term supper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I used "supper" when was growing up in Minnesota, but then I moved to California, and then New York, and somewhere along the way I dropped "supper" for "dinner."

Coffee, a quick bite, and food.

JK, I usually refer to them as Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. (Even though my father says 'supper' to this very day...)
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Supper and dinner are interchangeable for me, but I'm aware of the Farmer's way too. Both of my Grandparents were farmers.

Lunch was like a snack break for my Grandparents on my dad's side.
    Last edited by McHorde-Trooper; May 26, 2019 at 10:29pm.

Heroic Warrior
    good poll/question (no sarcasm)

I picked Breakfast, lunch & supper

"dinner" honest confuses me