Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Collector Choice wave 3 from Super7 - William Stout collection

So how would the “DC vs MOTU were version 2 leftovers” scenario play out logistically? The figures were clogging up the Digital River warehouse, so they packed them back up and sent them back to China, where the figures were opened up, possibly disassembled, repainted, reassembled (sometimes with different parts), repackaged with DC figures, and shipped back to the states?

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    So how would the “DC vs MOTU were version 2 leftovers” scenario play out logistically? The figures were clogging up the Digital River warehouse, so they packed them back up and sent them back to China, where the figures were opened up, possibly disassembled, repainted, reassembled (sometimes with different parts), repackaged with DC figures, and shipped back to the states?
    Nice point.

In my mind,Mattel guys just thought that it is good idea and a feasible business move and did the DC vs MOTUC TRU.

That packaging is not something that were not thought about thoroughly imho.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Nice point.

In my mind,Mattel guys just thought that it is good idea and a feasible business move and did the DC vs MOTUC TRU.

That packaging is not something that were not thought about thoroughly imho.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

It comes down to having the tooling for the figures and finding uses for them to sell more and more figures besides what they were selling for just the Matty collector line. One of the incentives to buying the DC VS figures were that they were a different color and different paint deco.

Look at what Mattel is doing with the MOTU Origins line and the Wrestling figures. They're double dipping. A lot of the tooling is going to be recycled to produce parts for MOTU figures. Are people going to say "hey, that Mattel wrestling line was a total bust, so they took all the peg warmers and reused them to make MOTU figures"....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    The overrun never left the factory. From what I understand, they were produced, binned, awaiting packaging and shipping for when the first batch sold out.

Matty Collector's domestic storage was rather limited, so storing 8,000 packaged figures was not feasible for each character they produced in that evergreen segment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Webstor's Ghost View Post

Anyway...

I thought that the vs. DC packs were an attempt by Mattel to get an exclusively online property (MOTU) that had an online toyline (MOTUC) on a popular retail shelf (TRU) paired with a much more popular franchise that they had invested money into licencing in , that franchise being the DC Universe.... so that even if this TRU "Vs" toyline experiment lost them money, they could write it off as good publicity for an otherwise cold property (MOTU) that were going to try to resuscitate til every avenue was exhausted, even if it meant opening up their own official film studio branch to be more efficient in putting together a MOTU film project (and which their stalwart Hot Wheels & Barbie could benefit from), which they recently did.

Heck, isn't the "DC vs." business model as I've attempted to describe it, almost exactly the reasoning behind the Masters Of The WWE Universe toyline venture right now?

i thought Disco Skeletor was just a way to juice the line before they killed it.

As in: "We're ending the 200x toyline...hey, Skeletor's the most popular character, how about we make more Skeletor figures and just paint them a different color...then maybe we'll get a few more dollars out of consumers without having to make new molds"

Again, I am not doubting the validity of your description here, that is, if you've verified all you've stated about the vs. DC history, but if it's not verified then I am merely offering a different POV on how all of it may have transpired, using precedence to show how I came up with my alternate POV.

No offense taken at the skepticism!

I had a friend who was somewhat tangentially involved in the project (200X/MOTUC) at the time, so most of my information was off-the-record but generally well-known 'behind the scenes'. He's no longer involved with the company but I don't want to put him on blast and all that.

He-Man, Mer-Man, Stratos and Skeletor definitely yielded overruns on their Version IIs. Not sure about the other figures, but I would assume it was a similar situation.

As someone else alluded to in this thread, Matty attempted to offer some evergreen characters that were 'always available'. There were a few issues with this though- for one, most of the collectors that had been asking for these characters eventually sourced them on the secondary market and didn't bother with a second release. It had been too long a wait. Secondly, something changed in the logistics end (I forget the details) but Matty Collector's already small warehouse space was made smaller. They couldn't have 30,000 packaged figures sitting around at any given time waiting to be sold, so the runs were broken up. Instead of packaging 8,000 Skeletors and shipping them stateside, it was decided to produce all 8,000, package half, and ship them stateside. The other half (or quarter, or whatever the percentage per figure) would occupy the factory's storage space until needed.

The DC figures were in a similar boat. Someone said "hey, these aren't selling out like we thought" and another someone pointed out "yeah, and we still have another however many thousand at the factory read to ship out when needed." Another someone said "wait, so we're paying double storage fees? Spector, you told us these were high demand figures." Then another someone gave a directive to The Mighty Spector's team to offload these figures quickly, and the TRU two packs were born. That's an oversimplification, but you get the gist. It was offered to retail at a loss in order to move stock.

Disco Skeletor was a repaint of unpackaged overrun, along with Tri-Klops and some others. Mattel thought that since the line was practically dead, they could muster a few more sales from adult collectors by offering 'wacky' repaints. That's also the reasoning behind the new paint apps on the TRU 2-Packs.

Companies like to spin stuff like "Well, we wanted to differentiate it from our main line" or "The originals tested poorly with kids, who said that the figures looked 'naked', so we made the new versions look like they were wearing clothes" or some other nonsense. It's a calculated move to get completists to buy every variant they offer. Hasbro, Mattel and Bandai have been tackling the question of "how do we get people to buy the same toy they've already bought, over and over again" for decades.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Hasbro, Mattel and Bandai have been tackling the question of "how do we get people to buy the same toy they've already bought, over and over again" for decades.
    Precisely this - it's cynical manipulation of fan nostalgia. I'm not a sucker consumer who will just blindly buy whatever crap they throw at me with a MOTU logo through egregious claims of "exclusivity" or "rarity". This is why I'm not interested in Origins, MegaConstrux, 5.5" vintage variants at Super7, ReAction, Funko, or any of the other seemingly endless lines out there that just recycle the same dozen characters and variants thereof ad infinitum. How many slightly different versions of He-Man and Skeletor and the other core characters does Mattel think I'm stupid enough to buy? I'm the kind of nightmare that these corporations hate - a discerning purchaser!

It's Classics or nothing. That's the only line that's made a heroic effort to offer the stunning breadth of character selection that the rich world of MOTU deserves.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Got my William Stout collection figures last week. Wow! What a great set.

Movie He-Man
    I actually bought two He-Man figures, with the intention of putting that extra Oo-Larr head for a vintage look, but it just doesn't look right. Meanwhile, the second head that comes with the Dolph figure doesn't look like Dolph, so I just stuck it on an extra Palace Guard. Making this figure taller and a tad more slender did fit Dolph's He-Man look, so I'm quite happy with how he turned out. I like the cloth cape

Movie Skeletor
    He turned out great. I think a second head might have helped for a different expression or unhooded, but overall great.

Movie god Skeletor
    The details on this one are amazing, especially all the little golden details on his outfit. The Four Horsemen hit this one out of the park.

Movie Karg
    Mine looked good. The eyes were a bit bigger/scarier than the prior release. I prefer the first comics version with the green and yellow, but would have been ecstatic for this one had we not gotten a Karg already.

Getting these makes me wish for more movie figures. The Troopers, Teela, Man-At-Arms, and Pigboy next?

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    It's Classics or nothing. That's the only line that's made a heroic effort to offer the stunning breadth of character selection that the rich world of MOTU deserves.
    My sentiments exactly!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Movie He-Man
    I actually bought two He-Man figures, with the intention of putting that extra Oo-Larr head for a vintage look, but it just doesn't look right. Meanwhile, the second head that comes with the Dolph figure doesn't look like Dolph, so I just stuck it on an extra Palace Guard.

:
    I'd like to see the Movie He-Man with that vintage head on, if you don't mind taking a pic! I'm really curious! I have to wait for mine to arrive before I give it a shot.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

I have pics with a few different heads, don't know how to post them though. Perhaps someone can pm me and walk me through it?

Heroic Warrior
    For those wondering about the laser light or whatever that he man was called head on the movie body, pixel danno got a pic up for you guys on his social media accounts like fb. Looks like the skin tone matches.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
    I have pics with a few different heads, don't know how to post them though. Perhaps someone can pm me and walk me through it?
    Get Tapatalk on your phone. That's the only way I can. But they just changed the rules. We are only allowed 1 pic per post and medium size image. Vs we used to be allowed like 9 pics and any size. If you want to post large or more than one they want you to upgrade to pay lol. Good luck to them, I'll post one pic per post haha. I'm curious if we can edit the posts though with more pics after? Never tried it. I only post pics to show off projects I did like dios or customs. But Tapatalk is the only way I know with ease. Other ways are more troubling. Photo bucket used to be the way for me before I got a smart phone.

I recently received my set William Stout figures. Quibbles aside, I am very happy with this set! I could rave about each figure individually, but I'll spare you. And this is coming from someone who is lukewarm at best about the movie itself; the character designs themselves are great, and these figures executed them ala MOTUC excellently.

I'm in the camp of wishing for more movie figures ala MOTUC. Alas...

Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Precisely this - it's cynical manipulation of fan nostalgia. I'm not a sucker consumer who will just blindly buy whatever crap they throw at me with a MOTU logo through egregious claims of "exclusivity" or "rarity". This is why I'm not interested in Origins, MegaConstrux, 5.5" vintage variants at Super7, ReAction, Funko, or any of the other seemingly endless lines out there that just recycle the same dozen characters and variants thereof ad infinitum. How many slightly different versions of He-Man and Skeletor and the other core characters does Mattel think I'm stupid enough to buy? I'm the kind of nightmare that these corporations hate - a discerning purchaser!

Mattel is going to look back at MOTUC as "a bird in the hand". I guarantee it.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

He-Man, Mer-Man, Stratos and Skeletor definitely yielded overruns on their Version IIs. Not sure about the other figures, but I would assume it was a similar situation.

As someone else alluded to in this thread, Matty attempted to offer some evergreen characters that were 'always available'. There were a few issues with this though- for one, most of the collectors that had been asking for these characters eventually sourced them on the secondary market and didn't bother with a second release. It had been too long a wait. Secondly, something changed in the logistics end (I forget the details) but Matty Collector's already small warehouse space was made smaller. They couldn't have 30,000 packaged figures sitting around at any given time waiting to be sold, so the runs were broken up. Instead of packaging 8,000 Skeletors and shipping them stateside, it was decided to produce all 8,000, package half, and ship them stateside. The other half (or quarter, or whatever the percentage per figure) would occupy the factory's storage space until needed.

The DC figures were in a similar boat. Someone said "hey, these aren't selling out like we thought" and another someone pointed out "yeah, and we still have another however many thousand at the factory read to ship out when needed." Another someone said "wait, so we're paying double storage fees? Spector, you told us these were high demand figures." Then another someone gave a directive to The Mighty Spector's team to offload these figures quickly, and the TRU two packs were born. That's an oversimplification, but you get the gist. It was offered to retail at a loss in order to move stock.
    Sorry, but I'm skeptical of this scenario. None of the figures released in the TRU 2-packs (except She-Ra) were identical to their single-carded release. He-Man was repainted and had a different left forearm. Skeletor had a different face deco and his armor was molded in a different shade of purple; he was also given a yellow sword. Stratos' wings and armor were cast in different colors. Zodac had different feet and painted gloves. Mer-Man's entire body was molded in a completely different shade of plastic. There were also production differences like Stratos' rotatable wings and Zodac's unremovable armor. I find it very hard to believe that Mattel looked at leftover stock and invested the time and expense of ripping these figures off cards, repainting them, disassembling and throwing away parts of them, producing new parts in different colors (or, in Mer-Man's case, a new production run of a blue body), and throwing them in a new package that required artwork as well as (in two cases) a print run of reprint comic books as pack-ins. That makes no sense.

All you have to do is stand single-carded He-Man next to TRU He-Man to see the numerous production differences between them, a lot of which cannot be chalked up to it being repainted. It's a totally different shade of plastic, which means an entirely new run on the figure. Not leftover stock. And this holds true for most of the 2-pack figures, not just He-Man.

These weren't leftover single-carded stock that got repackaged for Toys R Us. They were a completely different run as evidenced by their numerous physical differences compared to their single-carded releases. Unless I am somehow completely misunderstanding your point.
    Last edited by Wakko; January 22, 2020 at 04:44pm.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Sorry, but I'm skeptical of this scenario. None of the figures released in the TRU 2-packs (except She-Ra) were identical to their single-carded release. He-Man was repainted and had a different left forearm. Skeletor had a different face deco and his armor was molded in a different shade of purple; he was also given a yellow sword. Stratos' wings and armor were cast in different colors. Zodac had different feet and painted gloves. Mer-Man's entire body was molded in a completely different shade of plastic. There were also production differences like Stratos' rotatable wings and Zodac's unremovable armor. I find it very hard to believe that Mattel looked at leftover stock and invested the time and expense of ripping these figures off cards, repainting them, disassembling and throwing away parts of them, producing new parts in different colors (or, in Mer-Man's case, a new production run of a blue body), and throwing them in a new package that required artwork as well as (in two cases) a print run of reprint comic books as pack-ins. That makes no sense.

All you have to do is stand single-carded He-Man next to TRU He-Man to see the numerous production differences between them, a lot of which cannot be chalked up to it being repainted. It's a totally different shade of plastic, which means an entirely new run on the figure. Not leftover stock. And this holds true for most of the 2-pack figures, not just He-Man.

These weren't leftover single-carded stock that got repackaged for Toys R Us. They were a completely different run as evidenced by their numerous physical differences compared to their single-carded releases. Unless I am somehow completely misunderstanding your point.
    That was the situation as explained to me (minus ripping them off cards; they were never packaged the first time around.) I'm sure that there were instances where different parts/accessories were utilized. It's entirely possible that there were new runs produced to fill out the 2-packs. But the original intention was to offload unmoved units awaiting packaging and shipment. Why else would Matty sell them at a loss to a dying retailer?
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

That was the situation as explained to me (minus ripping them off cards; they were never packaged the first time around.) I'm sure that there were instances where different parts/accessories were utilized. It's entirely possible that there were new runs produced to fill out the 2-packs. But the original intention was to offload unmoved units awaiting packaging and shipment. Why else would Matty sell them at a loss to a dying retailer?
    Do figures typically get manufactured in China and shipped loose for storage in the States, only to be packaged later?

Also, there weren't just "instances" of different parts/accessories being utilized -- this was true of EVERY MOTUC figure in the 2-packs with the exception of She-Ra. Figure parts and accessories molded in new colors in EVERY instance, a process that would've cost Mattel many thousands of dollars.

The first 2-packs hit TRU in 2010, only a year after they bought out KB Toys and FAO Schwartz, and at the time TRU was second only to Walmart in toy sales. TRU wasn't exactly dying at the point, or at least not perceived to be.

And it wasn't like the two packs were one and done. They were released over two years, with plans for more but sales weren't high enough. IMO, the motive behind the line was to maximize profit from existing molds, appeal to the fans of two separate properties, bring more retail awareness to MOTUC, and provide a venue for legitimate, fan-demanded MOTUC repaints based on existing media.

Sorry I've taken this thread so much off topic folks, but I couldn't not comment on this. We have seen what happened to excess MOTUC stock -- it was offloaded at Big Lots and given away free when the Frosta error was made. In no way was it financially feasible for Mattel to look at excess stock and say, "Let's invest thousands in repainting, disassembling, molding new parts/acessories, and packaging these figures that we're sitting on."
    Last edited by Wakko; January 23, 2020 at 09:05am.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    Get Tapatalk on your phone. That's the only way I can. But they just changed the rules. We are only allowed 1 pic per post and medium size image. Vs we used to be allowed like 9 pics and any size. If you want to post large or more than one they want you to upgrade to pay lol. Good luck to them, I'll post one pic per post haha. I'm curious if we can edit the posts though with more pics after? Never tried it. I only post pics to show off projects I did like dios or customs. But Tapatalk is the only way I know with ease. Other ways are more troubling. Photo bucket used to be the way for me before I got a smart phone.

Thanks mate

Heroic Warrior
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0b3f160f22.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks mate
    Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to post these!

Curiosity has been sated!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Thanks Crazyjoe!!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Sorry, but I'm skeptical of this scenario....

...These weren't leftover single-carded stock that got repackaged for Toys R Us. They were a completely different run as evidenced by their numerous physical differences compared to their single-carded releases. Unless I am somehow completely misunderstanding your point.
    I have been following this off topic side story and agree with these statements Wakko. The excess stock scenario doesn't make sense for exactly the reasons you mentioned. It could have been the initial Idea to unload the stock this way, as there were obviously MANY Mer-Mans and others sitting around having to give them away as apologies for Frosta's fore-arm flip etc.

Heroic Warrior
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0b3f160f22.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks mate
    No problem bud.

Mine showed up yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy