Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Collector Choice wave 3 from Super7 - William Stout collection

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Most of the trooper artwork came from Ralph McQuarrie:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CD4_Ive0XB...eman-motu4.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LEnFZHyDcY...n-SKETCHES.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jr_z4IdpTV...an-gliders.jpg

Also, here is a closer image of He-Man's cloak... I really hope that Super 7 is planning on adding the gold trim to the back of it...

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...phcostume6.jpg
    Really interesting concept art. Thanks for sharing.

Hmm, some of McQuarrie's trooper concepts look very similar to his Cylon concept art (particularly the drawings of the Cylons on a basestar).
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    Hmm, some of McQuarrie's trooper concepts look very similar to his Cylon concept art (particularly the drawings of the Cylons on a basestar).
    I was thinking the same thing. We either have Stormtroopers or Cylons!

I wonder if Super 7 could make a generic trooper that looks *ever* so slightly like the actual movie troopers?

Wouldn't that fall in the same category as Wrap Trap and Fangor?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

How were they able to make a Karg figure the first time around? Was it just making him a different color enough?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    How were they able to make a Karg figure the first time around? Was it just making him a different color enough?

It was based on his appearance in the comic adaptation of the film, which Mattel had the rights to I surmise.

Were there Skeletor troopers in the comic version?

Were there Skeletor troopers in the comic version?
    They kinda were. Or something like them.

Movie comic:
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=1501
    Page 34, 36 & 37

I think a second wave of all movie figures would tank without a Skeletor Trooper. The only selling point would be an Evil-Lyn and if she doesn't look a lot like Meg Foster's version, it wouldn't be enough. The fact that they put two Skeletors in this wave rather than save one for a second wave makes me think a second all William Stout wave is unlikely. If William Stout gets a small percentage of sales (versus a one time payment), I think it also decreases the likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I think a second wave of all movie figures would tank without a Skeletor Trooper. The only selling point would be an Evil-Lyn and if she doesn't look a lot like Meg Foster's version, it wouldn't be enough. The fact that they put two Skeletors in this wave rather than save one for a second wave makes me think a second all William Stout wave is unlikely. If William Stout gets a small percentage of sales (versus a one time payment), I think it also decreases the likelihood.
    I disagree

Movie versions of Evil-Lyn, The Beast Man, Man At Arms and Teela would sell a second wave. Super7 could also put out a two pack of Skeletors Trooper & a Dark Commander so that Fans could army build.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I disagree

Movie versions of Evil-Lyn, The Beast Man, Man At Arms and Teela would sell a second wave. Super7 could also put out a two pack of Skeletors Trooper & a Dark Commander so that Fans could army build.

Have to agree, even though I'm not actively as invested in this line as I once was. I'd buy those 4, Sorceress and a two pack without question.

I really hope for more of the WS figures. I would love a She-Ra figure!

Also, here is a closer image of He-Man's cloak... I really hope that Super 7 is planning on adding the gold trim to the back of it...
    That's what I was wondering too... And not only to the back- the front too! The gold rim is on the Stout designs after all, so I don't see a reason why they didn't add it...
    The figure would look SO much better!

My guess is that it's related to the deal they were able to strike with William Stout.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I disagree

Totally agree! A second wave of movie figures would still sell very well with that lineup.

I wonder if there is a William Stout concept rendition of Detective Lubic!
    NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O! Catch my pics on Instagram: countjudas FOR 2019: Kayo, Lizorr, Sagitar, Negator, Hunga the Harpy, Kol Darr, Catra cat form, Leo Faker, Anti Eternia MAA and Orko, Melog, Filmation Ram Man and movie figures

Quote Originally Posted by the fixer View Post
    That's what I was wondering too... And not only to the back- the front too! The gold rim is on the Stout designs after all, so I don't see a reason why they didn't add it...
    The figure would look SO much better!
    This is my number one hope. If it saves money, I would rather have the gold trim for He-Man's cloak than the short sword he will come with...

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    My guess is that it's related to the deal they were able to strike with William Stout.
    Yes, before the Stout deal, they could only release a Karg that resembled the (Mattel owned) mini-comic version of the character.

On closer inspection though, it is amazing how a new paint deco and film-accurate sculpt really make this version of Karg the one to get!!

He looks great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Judas View Post
    Totally agree! A second wave of movie figures would still sell very well with that lineup.

I wonder if there is a William Stout concept rendition of Detective Lubic!
    Sadly, I believe it was the costume designer, Julie Weiss, who created the Lubic outfits that we all love....

Maybe they can release a Julie Weiss collection?

This is my number one hope. If it saves money, I would rather have the gold trim for He-Man's cloak than the short sword he will come with...

Yes, before the Stout deal, they could only release a Karg that resembled the (Mattel owned) mini-comic version of the character.

On closer inspection though, it is amazing how a new paint deco and film-accurate sculpt really make this version of Karg the one to get!!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...rgcostume1.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/24...g?v=1551993041

He looks great!!

Sadly, I believe it was the costume designer, Julie Weiss, who created the Lubic outfits that we all love....

Maybe they can release a Julie Weiss collection?
    What I mean is that the William Stout deal must have been in some form of completion when they released the mini-comic Karg. It's a bit too convenient that they finally release the figure, and then the next wave is the William Stout collection.

I would guess if Super7 could release the troopers, they would. Army builders are incredibly lucrative (look at Stormtroopers). That being said, Super7 hasn't shown much interest in army builders so far (I really thought a Filmation Horde Trooper would have happened by now).
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

I think if there's enough interest, and it seems like there is, more from the movie will come. When Brian Flynn was interviewed by Pixel Dan at the 2019 New York Toy Fair, he said that the green light was never given to Mattel to produce the movie He-man, Skeletor's and Karg because of how Mattel operated. Remember, even back in the 80's Mattel could only put out Gwildor, Blade and Saurod so this has been a long time coming. So if Super 7 hadn't taken on MOTU, we wouldn't have them. That brings me to the other movie figures. If all this time Mattel was never given the rights to produce them but now Super 7 has been given the green light, I think we'll see more in the future. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    I think if there's enough interest, and it seems like there is, more from the movie will come. When Brian Flynn was interviewed by Pixel Dan at the 2019 New York Toy Fair, he said that the green light was never given to Mattel to produce the movie He-man, Skeletor's and Karg because of how Mattel operated. Remember, even back in the 80's Mattel could only put out Gwildor, Blade and Saurod so this has been a long time coming. So if Super 7 hadn't taken on MOTU, we wouldn't have them. That brings me to the other movie figures. If all this time Mattel was never given the rights to produce them but now Super 7 has been given the green light, I think we'll see more in the future. Only time will tell.
    I agree and I'm sure if this Preorder does well Super7 will reach out To William Stout to do other characters from the 87 Movie.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    Remember, even back in the 80's Mattel could only put out Gwildor, Blade and Saurod so this has been a long time coming.
    I think the reason we didn't get more movie figures in the 1980s (and thus Mattel would have had more figure rights) was because the the movie bombed and MOTU toy sales were bottoming out in 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I think the reason we didn't get more movie figures in the 1980s (and thus Mattel would have had more figure rights) was because the the movie bombed and MOTU toy sales were bottoming out in 1987.
    This.

Mattel spent a large amount of money banking on the hope that MOTU '87 would be a hit and increase figure sales. Unfortunately, the movie didn't do quite as well as they had hoped, thus very little was done in the way of new action figures - seeing as how sales had dropped off by the millions when the movie eventually released.

This.

Mattel spent a large amount of money banking on the hope that MOTU '87 would be a hit and increase figure sales. Unfortunately, the movie didn't do quite as well as they had hoped
    ironically 30 years later the 87 movie it is considered a cult classic beloved by many fans and critics as well
    things went not that bad after all
    it's a cheesy movie but smells like a good cheese, same could not be said for i.e. dungeons and dragons (which unapologetically had 2 direct to video sequels )
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

I gotta admit that I really, really want Man-at-Arms in this line. Jon Cypher's portrayal of Duncan is definitely my favorite overall and his costume is one of the best designs in the film.

I also really want a Chelsea Fields Teela. And I want her subtile to read...."Woman at arms."
    I love that line, especially how she looks at the camera as she says it!
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...On the subject of Karg: finally got the comic-colors version yesterday! Really great figure! Naturally I hope to get the movie figures also, but will display them separately! I feel like this Karg fits better with the rest of the Evil Warriors aesthetically in these colors!
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!