Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Art Marcum and Matt Holloway re-writing MOTU movie for Sony & Mattel Films

Art Marcum and Matt Holloway re-writing MOTU movie for Sony & Mattel Films

A new re-write, this time with the writers behind the new Men in Black (and Iron Man and Transformers: The Last Knight)

"Writers Art Marcum & Matt Holloway are in final talks to write the new draft of Masters of the Universe, which Adam Aaron Nee will direct...."
    See the complete article on Deadline.com

"The Last Knight" credit scares me a bit. Hopefully, this film will be much better than that one. They also wrote a script for the 2014 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie that was never used. At least, they worked on Iron Man which was a great film.

Variety article:
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...jFm7fsQX_yqcRE

Art Marcum and Matt Holloway have been tapped to pen Sony Pictures and Mattel Films’ “Master of Universe” reboot with brothers Adam and Aaron Nee still directing.

Mattel Films is partnering with Sony Pictures on the feature film, which is based on Mattel’s beloved toy-line that spawned a successful animated TV series (1983-85) as well as a 1987 film. The property centers on the warrior He-Man, the last hope of a magical land called Eternia. Dolph Lundgren starred in the original pic as the title character, while Frank Langella played the villainous Skeletor.

Escape Artists’ Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch, as well as DeVon Franklin will be producing. The previous draft of the screenplay was written by David S. Goyer, who is also an executive producer.

The movie reunites Sony with the writing pair who recently finished “Men in Black: International”, which bows on June 14 and stars Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson and Liam Neeson.

Holloway and Marcum’s additional credits include “Iron Man” and “Transformers: the Last Night.” They are represented by CAA, Grandview, and attorney Mark Bisgeier.

We have a update!!! New script writers tackling the project, still directed by the Nee brothers. Mattel and Sony partnering up.

Whoops. I completely missed this thread apparently.
    Last edited by DGSimo; January 11, 2019 at 06:43pm.

Feedback thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Formerly known as facelessone101. Now fisto power

Email facelessone@he-fans.org

Deadline surmises that the release date could be moved to 2020. That's likely. Its good to have confirmation that Mattel Films is partnering with Sony. I'm guessing that Mattel are going to front some of the budget, which Sony are obviously happy with. Best news, though, is that the Nee Brothers are still directing.

Here we go again (again!)!

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Here we go again (again!)!
    I think we may be near(er) the finish line this time, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Deadline surmises that the release date could be moved to 2020. That's likely. Its good to have confirmation that Mattel Films is partnering with Sony. I'm guessing that Mattel are going to front some of the budget, which Sony are obviously happy with. Best news, though, is that the Nee Brothers are still directing.
    Yeah there's no way this is coming out this year. I'd assume they'll push back the release a year to launch December 2020 with production hopefully starting by this April.

Thankfully with the Nee Brothers onboard for nearly a year and working with Mattel and Sony the entire time, they'll be able to get down to the nitty gritty and hash the script out with the new writers.

It’s also worth pointing out that these guys wrote the new MIB film, the one that stars Chris Hemsworth and is from Sony. I would be astounded if Hemsworth isn't at the top of Sony's wishlist.

This is awesome news, I can't wait for a New MOTU movie, no matter when it comes out.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Yup... So, Sony is still in this, but now there are neeeew writers from MIB: International. Sigh. So, that Nee Bros. storyboard has to be scrapped now?? https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...se-1203105707/
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

They migh have had a story, and story boards to flesh out ideas, and just need writers to create a script and develop the story. Orrrrrr they could have been working off some existing story and script, and now with Mattel in charge, might be rewriting everything to Mattel's liking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    They migh have had a story, and story boards to flesh out ideas, and just need writers to create a script and develop the story. Orrrrrr they could have been working off some existing story and script, and now with Mattel in charge, might be rewriting everything to Mattel's liking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    It turns out that the Columbia Pictures President called for this. Also, the writers are known as "closers"; so, hopefully that means that they will finally wrap up this script so that they can get started. http://collider.com/he-man-movie-mas...e-writers/amp/
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

It says draft, which would imply they're working off of Goyer's script. Hopefully it’s a mere polish. I'd be surprised if they haven't been working on this for a while, as Adam Nee's latest tweet seems to suggest they have. Very interesting that these guys wrote the new MIB film, which stars Chris Hemsworth and is from Sony. I would be shocked if Hemsworth isn't at the top of Sony's wishlist.

And its good to have confirmation that Mattel Films have partnered with Sony on this, although we all kind of guessed that was the case because the Nee Brothers still seemed to be working on it after the Mattel Films announcement was made. Also very happy that the Nee Brothers are still directing. I have faith in them.
    Last edited by Krueger; January 11, 2019 at 11:00pm.

I think the news also shows a willingness to knock this thing out of the park and get it right! After all, we had Goyer with his script and then the Nee Brothers putting their own stamp on it and now the new scribes taking all that and creating a new draft to hopefully polish it all up the best it can be.

Hopefully we'll hear more on the production and casting side by April.

If that were to be the case then we'll be looking for new directors at that point too. lol

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebot View Post
    ANOTHER re-write, this time with the writers behind the new Men in Black (and Iron Man and Transformers: The Last Knight) https://deadline.com/2019/01/art-mar...se-1202533815/
    Glad the project is still alive. I liked the first Iron Man movie. Very well done and has even aged decently among its peers. TF: The Last Night... oh Despondos no! ANd a new MIB? I'm skeptical at best... especially having seen the teaser trailer. Love the cast but not sure I'm excited about another goofy movie. I would prefer it to be more serious. But that's me.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Its good to have confirmation that Mattel Films is partnering with Sony. I'm guessing that Mattel are going to front some of the budget, which Sony are obviously happy with.
    Mattel's CEO spoke on this topic in a recent conference call.

According to Ynon Kreiz, Mattel will not be putting any money into financing the marketing and production of the Barbie movie. In general and going forward, they are playing it safe with a "capital light" approach, where at most they would invest in the initial development of a project. However, it seemed to me that his comments on the latter mostly applied to non-film-related ventures, like television, gaming etc. He said that Mattel's role will mainly be as the IP owner and contributor to the development of the creative aspects. (i.e. storylines, scripts and so on.)
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Also worth pointing out that Mattel and Sony have a production partnership with Escape Artists too who will be fronting some of the budget, so it's not all on Sony or Mattel.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Mattel's CEO spoke on this topic in a recent conference call.

According to Ynon Kreiz, Mattel will not be putting any money into financing the marketing and production of the Barbie movie. In general and going forward, they are playing it safe with a "capital light" approach, where at most they would invest in the initial development of a project. However, it seemed to me that his comments on the latter mostly applied to non-film-related ventures, like television, gaming etc. He said that Mattel's role will mainly be as the IP owner and contributor to the development of the creative aspects. (i.e. storylines, scripts and so on.)
    They obviously learned from getting burned by Cannon Films.

I still don’t believe the film will ever be made. And if it does, it won’t resemble the property we remember from our childhoods. Maybe I’ve become a pessimist after the GI Joe and Bay-Transformers movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    I still don’t believe the film will ever be made. And if it does, it won’t resemble the property we remember from our childhoods. Maybe I’ve become a pessimist after the GI Joe and Bay-Transformers movies.
    I hear you, but then there's Bumblebee which does resemble what we remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    They obviously learned from getting burned by Cannon Films.
    Ha! True.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

All the articles say they're in "final talks" to write the latest draft, whereas Nee's latest tweet says "Love the work these top cool guys are doing!". Basically, they've been on this for a while now. What amazes me about this whole thing is that in ten years Sony must have sunk millions into MOTU, and there still hasn't been a film. I wonder just how much they've already spent on it?

They clearly want the film made, but I seriously have no idea why its taken so long, as the concept, when you strip it down to its bare essentials, is pretty straightforward. Surely a lot of the blame must lie with Mattel? I refuse to believe its all Sony's fault. Hopefully now they've finally waken up to the possibilities here.

All the articles say they're in "final talks" to write the latest draft, whereas Nee's latest tweet says "Love the work these top cool guys are doing!". Basically, they've been on this for a while now. What amazes me about this whole thing is that in ten years Sony must have sunk millions into MOTU, and there still hasn't been a film. I wonder just how much they've already spent on it?

They clearly want the film made, but I seriously have no idea why its taken so long, as the concept, when you strip it down to its bare essentials, is pretty straightforward. Surely a lot of the blame must lie with Mattel? I refuse to believe its all Sony's fault. Hopefully now they've finally waken up to the possibilities here.
    The ghost of 1987's failure lingering, evaluating the strength and appeal of the brand today, along with conflicting visions from the multiple writers and filmmakers that have been attached and fine tuning it.

I mean, Goyer's stuff looked maybe too far tech and Sci Fi for my liking. Like you said you would think it would be pretty straight forward and just using the lore, designs and ideas they would have everything they need to establish an easy trilogy and franchise that can spin off in other directions to expand the brand. No need to over complicate things nor the designs. lol