Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Art Marcum and Matt Holloway re-writing MOTU movie for Sony & Mattel Films

It's definitely a good sign that the Nee Brothers are still attached as directors. Did y'all watch this recently uploaded 2018 Power-Con panel that was moderated by Adam_Prince of Eternia? Apparently the closest Mattel got to the movie happening was in 2012/2013 when Jon Chu was the director.

@48:00 to the end of the video.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    It's definitely a good sign that the Nee Brothers are still attached as directors. Did y'all watch this recently uploaded 2018 Power-Con panel that was moderated by Adam_Prince of Eternia? Apparently the closest Mattel got to the movie happening was in 2012/2013 when Jon Chu was the director.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tXxW-RAeE0
    I didn't watch it, but I was there in person.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tXxW-RAeE0
    That was actually pretty insightful, thank you for that! I wonder if they're still leading those offices as the neutral ground or moved it in house now that Mattel has their own film division?

Also answers the questions why it always seems to take so long for a new director to get onboard and then production to occur: they essentially wipe the slate clean including all the beautiful concept art done and start over.

Wasn't Adam Nee at Power Con last year? Was he at a panel or just an attendee visiting? Did anyone spot him and pick his brain? lol

It's crazy how long it can take a movie to be developed. Spider-Man came out in 2002, but had been 'worked on' as far back as the 80s.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This is awesome news, I can't wait for a New MOTU movie, no matter when it comes out.
    Hmmmm.... my magic 8-Ball points to a release date of May 22nd, 2039.

(But, look for the extended preview during Super Bowl LXXII in February, 2038!)
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DGSimo View Post
    Wasn't Adam Nee at Power Con last year? Was he at a panel or just an attendee visiting? Did anyone spot him and pick his brain? lol
    He showed up with his brother at the very, very tail end on the floor - they wanted to make sure to pay a visit. They were not on any panel, and it was not scheduled. They are very kind people.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I'm quite surprised by the Jon Chu thing. When DeVon Franklin posted that cryptic tweet with a new MOTU logo saying "We'll know more next week", that was when Jeff Wadlow was writing and directing, which I believe was 2014 - 2015 time frame. I'll never forget it. The next week, Tom Rothman became the top dog at Sony Pictures, and next week never came.

Sadly, you nailed it KRUEGER. The wheels can be rolling right along, and then suddenly....Blammo! And it's done.
    Odd Man Out

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Surely a lot of the blame must lie with Mattel? I refuse to believe its all Sony's fault.
    Mattel and Sony have competing goals, but it is in the best interest of both parties for a Masters of the Universe film to be successful. The challenge is to identify where their goals coincide, and to develop a mutually-beneficial solution. That is a halting and time-consuming process, and if someone leaves to pursue another project, the processes starts over from the beginning.

Sony desperately wants a tentpole franchise, and if it was entirely up to them, a Masters of the Universe film would have been released by now, but it would be a critical and financial bomb. Mattel has more of a vested interest in how Masters of the Universe is portrayed in media, so they act as a check on bad ideas. Mattel knows that Masters of the Universe only has one more bite at the apple to return to mainstream success, and they do not want to squander it on a film franchise that will be dead on arrival. So if Mattel rejects 100 ideas, and says, "start over," I am fine with that.

Well, with the development of Mattel Films, it seems that Mattel are now ready to take a bigger role here than ever before. With this news I think it’s encouraging that the same directors have stayed on board, which to me would imply there's a vision that's been agreed upon. It just now needs polishing.

I just have this weird feeling that if this movie is even made it's going to be a comedy/parody of Motu

Widget
    I loved the movie Iron Man. It did a lot of things that I felt were interesting. It made Iron Man real. It didn't stray too far into the super natural. The issue I have is that, this is 110% supernatural.

This movie needs to be world building. Like LOR! I think you could sell this movie big time w/ the right writer and director. Creating a story line on Eternia. Showing all the different creatures and habitat on that earth. Building it up and introducing us to all of the magical wonders of that world.

Honestly, I wouldn't even be opposed to it being mainly Adam for most of the movie and he doesn't become He-Man until the 3rd act. There can be tons of great adventures before then. Tons of characters w/ Great strengths & abilities that we can learn on the ride. I also think a huge battle w/ Skeletor would be a mistake in the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I just have this weird feeling that if this movie is even made it's going to be a comedy/parody of Motu
    I wouldn't mind a more light-hearted affair, not unlike Bumblebee. However, I don't think you have to worry about a parody. Something tells me Mattel wouldn't allow that.

Personally, I think with MOTU, you have to go all the way. It is a completely ridiculous and over the top concept with nearly every character being larger than life. It's a crazy mixture of Sword & Sorcery, Fantasy and Sci-Fi, and it should NOT be grounded. It NEEDS to be grand, epic, and FULL of spectacle. The characters do NOT have to be relatable because they aren't humans...not as we know them.

The Superhero, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi genres are at their peak of popularity. The general public is now very familiar with properties and concepts that used to be totally unknown to Civilians, and they are accepting them! Now is the time to get this out there, and to GO BIG.

That's my 2 cents worth.

( ducks behind podium to avoid onslaught of jeers, boos, rotten tomatoes, and heads of lettuce )
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 14, 2019 at 02:53pm.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Now just need to avoid the Nee brothers leaving the project due to creative differences or the production taking too long... Please end this vicious cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Mattel and Sony have competing goals, but it is in the best interest of both parties for a Masters of the Universe film to be successful. The challenge is to identify where their goals coincide, and to develop a mutually-beneficial solution. That is a halting and time-consuming process, and if someone leaves to pursue another project, the processes starts over from the beginning.

Sony desperately wants a tentpole franchise, and if it was entirely up to them, a Masters of the Universe film would have been released by now, but it would be a critical and financial bomb. Mattel has more of a vested interest in how Masters of the Universe is portrayed in media, so they act as a check on bad ideas. Mattel knows that Masters of the Universe only has one more bite at the apple to return to mainstream success, and they do not want to squander it on a film franchise that will be dead on arrival. So if Mattel rejects 100 ideas, and says, "start over," I am fine with that.
    Where was Mattel's stringent quality control for the 1987 film, at MOTU's peak? I think you give them too much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Where was Mattel's stringent quality control for the 1987 film, at MOTU's peak? I think you give them too much credit.
    That was also 30 years ago with completely different people.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    That was also 30 years ago with completely different people.
    Even as a kid I didn't enjoy that movie. I didn't understand why He-Man was He-Man and not Prince Adam. I was also lost on the concept of no Orko. He-Man could have battled a power puff girl. So long as he transformed from Adam to He-Man i would have been good. Honestly, that movie could have been a success if it just got a few the core characters right. As a kid those core characters: Prince Adam, Cringer & Orko. Obviously didn't happen. Atleast the guys from Mattel recognized that in the Netflix series "The toys that made us".

Fast forward 30 years later and it's going to be a much harder wall to climb for them. No longer do they need to make 4 to 8 year to create a movie for; Now you need the general population to buy in. The only way that happens is if they pour $150M into making this film. LOR / Aquaman / World Building.

This definitely could be a franchise. One that could even compete on the levels of Star Wars and Marvel if approached right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    This definitely could be a franchise. One that could even compete on the levels of Star Wars and Marvel if approached right.
    I agree completely. If the stars align and there's a blue moon, it could be a HUGE franchise. But it has to have the budget, the effects, the story, and the buzz. I could be wrong, but I think it needs the involvement of directors, producers, and even actors who are true MOTU fans....not Hollywood Big-Wigs who think they know what's best.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 15, 2019 at 02:50pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Personally, I think with MOTU, you have to go all the way. It is a completely ridiculous and over the top concept with nearly every character being larger than life. It's a crazy mixture of Sword & Sorcery, Fantasy and Sci-Fi, and it should NOT be grounded. It NEEDS to be grand, epic, and FULL of spectacle. The characters do NOT have to be relatable because they aren't humans...not as we know them.

The Superhero, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi genres are at their peak of popularity. The general public is now very familiar with properties and concepts that used to be totally unknown to Civilians, and they are accepting them! Now is the time to get this out there, and to GO BIG.

That's my 2 cents worth.

( ducks behind podium to avoid onslaught of jeers, boos, rotten tomatoes, and heads of lettuce )
    Then they would have to go through both of us cause I feel the same way they need to take Alex Ross' litho and put it on the big screen
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Adam Nee's sense of humour would suggest a little bit of tongue in cheek. But I don't think Mattel would be happy with it to go full-on Thor: Ragnarok (although I wouldn't mind that). I do agree, though, that the makers should have the self-confidence to own the more outlandish elements, and that's including the names. Hollywood seems to have finally learned that things don't always have to be "realed up" in order for people to take them more seriously. Gone are the days of the all-black X-Men suits (which even in 2000 at the age of fifteen I thought looked ridiculous). Audiences are more game now to embrace spandex and weirdness (we have Marvel Studios to thank for that), and 80s and 90s nostalgia is bigger than it’s ever been. I've said it before: now is the perfect time for a MOTU movie to take off. The iron is boiling hot at the moment.
    Last edited by Krueger; January 19, 2019 at 09:40pm.

Quote Originally Posted by joebot View Post
    a new re-write, this time with the writers behind the new men in black (and iron man and transformers: The last knight)

"writers art marcum & matt holloway are in final talks to write the new draft of masters of the universe, which adam aaron nee will direct...."
    see the complete article on deadline.com

I donīt believe you anymore, Mattel, with your "he-man movies"
    Check out marktron's MOTU CUTSOMS photos and profile! http://fearlessphotog.deviantart.com/

Mods, feel free to remove this if I posted something I shouldn't have.
    Odd Man Out

No disrespect to this guy, but who is he?

EDIT: Pay it no heed. He's just regurgitating that character breakdown that was doing the rounds last summer. Can't believe this guy is only reporting on this now. Adam Nee already confirmed back then its no longer in play. I think these story details and character breakdowns are from when Jeff Wadlow was writing it.
    Last edited by Krueger; January 19, 2019 at 07:21pm.

Little bit of news and insight and what's going on at Sony, how they nearly lost the franchise and the now warm partnership between Mattel and Sony.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...chises-1178507

Since 2007 Sony has invested over $15 million in the project trying to get He-Man to the big screen, but previous regimes at Sony being shy on the material never pulled the trigger. Then late last year the Sony lost the rights and Mattel began shopping their IPs to other studios where Barbie went to Warner Bros.

Having lost Barbie, Sony began heavy negotiations to secure the rights to MOTU and strengthen their partnership with Mattel including hiring the new writers last November intent on getting the film done.