Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Art Marcum and Matt Holloway re-writing MOTU movie for Sony & Mattel Films

I really wish it was the other way around and Barbie had stayed at Sony. Warner Bros. may have been a better home to MOTU, I just have little faith that Sony can make a good franchise film out of this. It would take a miracle, like maybe the creative team behind "Into the Spider-Verse" to pull it off.

Warner Bros. would be no better honestly. You only need to see how they squandered and mismanaged the potential of their own DC films to see that.

That and the decision makers are so out of touch. Acquaintances of a friend who worked for the studio once had to explain what "steampunk" was because corporate couldn't fathom what the notion was and the whole debacle with Mad Max Fury Road and telling actual licensors not to bother because the film was "terrible".

Quote Originally Posted by DGSimo View Post
    Little bit of news and insight and what's going on at Sony, how they nearly lost the franchise and the now warm partnership between Mattel and Sony.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...chises-1178507

Since 2007 Sony has invested over $15 million in the project trying to get He-Man to the big screen, but previous regimes at Sony being shy on the material never pulled the trigger. Then late last year the Sony lost the rights and Mattel began shopping their IPs to other studios where Barbie went to Warner Bros.

Having lost Barbie, Sony began heavy negotiations to secure the rights to MOTU and strengthen their partnership with Mattel including hiring the new writers last November intent on getting the film done.
    Thanks for posting. This strengthens my opinion that this is it, it will happen this time. Although I cannot (actually, I can) believe that Sony has spent that much money on it, with nothing to show for it. Considering they worked hard to keep the rights, they obviously have high hopes for MOTU. Here's the bit pertaining to MOTU for anyone who's lazy like me:

Late last year, Sony's leadership team of chairman Tom Rothman and Columbia Pictures president Sanford Panitch was under the blade of He-Man's Power Sword. After having ceded the big-brand IP of Barbie to Warner Bros., Sony was facing the loss of a second Mattel property, Masters of the Universe.

Despite spending what insiders say was about $15 million since 2007 developing a much-needed franchise, the studio never pulled the trigger, mainly due to previous regimes' trigger shy approach to the material. Mattel was ready to take the rights elsewhere before intense talks ended, with Sony keeping He-Man at the studio. In fact, to keep the momentum and happy new vibes of a renewed partnership going, Sony hired new writers to work on the script.

Warner Bros. would be no better honestly. You only need to see how they squandered and mismanaged the potential of their own DC films to see that.

That and the decision makers are so out of touch. Acquaintances of a friend who worked for the studio once had to explain what "steampunk" was because corporate couldn't fathom what the notion was and the whole debacle with Mad Max Fury Road and telling actual licensors not to bother because the film was "terrible".
    WB had their chance w/ Joel silver prior to Sony taking the property 10years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clearly sony wants this movie to happen, however it is difficult to think they have not yet found the right treatment,come on MOTU is not quantum physics.
    I mean Aquaman got a movie with a script so simple, so flat, I'm not saying the movie is bad but MOTU should'nt be so difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    clearly sony wants this movie to happen, however it is difficult to think they have not yet found the right treatment,come on MOTU is not quantum physics.
    I mean Aquaman got a movie with a script so simple, so flat, I'm not saying the movie is bad but MOTU should'nt be so difficult.
    Seriously, there are far more complex properties that have been successful on the big screen. Plus, already has the 1987 movie as a perfect reference of how not to do a MOTU film. Just make the opposite of that one!

I have a feeling the budget played a role here. Sony knows full well that if you are going to do a proper MOTU movie (basically, not the 1987 one), then you are going to have to spend money on it. As simple as that. It would likely be a very expensive venture. Hell, there hasn't even been a film yet and the word is they've already spent 15 million on it. With the Nee Brothers staying on board, I'm optimistic a vision has been found that everyone agrees on. However, I do have a feeling that MOTU is going to end being a very high-budgeted film and will be seen as a gamble, no matter what. In this day and age, though, I think a MOTU movie has the best chance of succeeded more now than ever before. I think Sony sees this, too, otherwise they wouldn't have worked so hard to keep the rights. They want MOTU to be one of their flagship franchises. That's good, but it comes with high stakes.

Thanks for the news. I love when we get this kind of insight and insider information. (Spending $15 million et all.)
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Seriously, there are far more complex properties that have been successful on the big screen. Plus, already has the 1987 movie as a perfect reference of how not to do a MOTU film. Just make the opposite of that one!
    Lol... But... But... Thor 1!! Haha
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Hell, there hasn't even been a film yet and the word is they've already spent 15 million on it.
    I am so blown away by that!!! I hope that someday, we find out a little about how that worked!

I think a MOTU movie has the best chance of succeeded more now than ever before. I think Sony sees this, too, otherwise they wouldn't have worked so hard to keep the rights. They want MOTU to be one of their flagship franchises.
    I agree about the timing for a MOTU movie. Superhero/Fantasy type stuff is at it's height in popularity, and a correctly done MOTU movie would fit right in.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 26, 2019 at 08:28pm.
    Odd Man Out

Sony held a conference call today. Nothing about Masters of the Universe was mentioned. However, it's listed in the supplemental information once again. The difference between this and the last one, is that they added a column for the "Talent" associated with the film. MOTU has a T.B.D. in that spot.

feb1supplemental2.jpg

feb1supplemental1.jpg

feb1supplemental.jpg

I just hope there will not be another eight more months of silence and then come back "the rewritten news " again

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    I think we may be near(er) the finish line this time, though.
    Let's just hope that, after the gazillion rewrites it has gone through, the final script doesn't turn out to be some forgettable mess.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Let's just hope that, after the gazillion rewrites it has gone through, the final script doesn't turn out to be some forgettable mess.
    That's really what is worrying and the fact that Sony is behind it, with their corporate execs and a history to mess up directors visions and butch things up in post-production... If this ever goes to physical production, it will a small miracle for the film to turn out good or great. They likely want to repeat AQUAMAN's success now but if they only stick to that MOTU will just be a phoney re-hash of James Wan's film.
    Upcoming book THE PUNISHER: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AN 80s CULT CLASSIC
    www.twitter.com/punisher_book
    www.instagram.com/punisher_book
    www.facebook.com/ThePunisher.FilmBook

Well, something's going on. MOTU is in the latest issue of Production Weekly (for 7th February) https://www.productionweekly.com/. Also, I found this on Production Weekly's Twitter page. Looks like we're getting there. My guess is they're aiming for a Spring/Summer shoot:

Well, something's going on. MOTU is in the latest issue of Production Weekly (for 7th February) https://www.productionweekly.com/. Also, I found this on Production Weekly's Twitter page. Looks like we're getting there. My guess is they're aiming for a Spring/Summer shoot:

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxuserco...a24cc5cead.png
    Hmm I don't suppose anyone has a membership? Iol

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxuserco...a24cc5cead.png
    "March 21st"

I followed the link on Twitter and it went to an April 25th, 2018 page. Is it supposed to begin production March 21st of this year? That would seem too quick considering no casting has been announced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I followed the link on Twitter and it went to an April 25th, 2018 page. Is it supposed to begin production March 21st of this year? That would seem too quick considering no casting has been announced yet.
    Yeah, I think their Twitter link is wrong. When you go to their homepage and look at the preview for the latest issue, MOTU is listed on it. I never noticed that March 21st thing before. Is that the proposed start of shooting? Even so, I sense we're getting close. Almost there!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    "March 21st"
    At first I was wondering where you was getting the date from and then realized I missed it in the tweet. lol

Although, for me it says March 27th....

If production is supposed to be kicking off next month then I'd imagine they've been locking down the cast and we should hear news any day now?

At first I was wondering where you was getting the date from and then realized I missed it in the tweet. lol

Although, for me it says March 27th....

If production is supposed to be kicking off next month then I'd imagine they've been locking down the cast and we should hear news any day now?
    I was scrolling through the Twitter emojis earlier. The Mar 21 date is just a random date used for the calendar emoji. It's not the actual production/filming date.

Anyhow, I'm listening to Mattel's 4th quarter conference call and Ynon Kriez did mention the partnership with Sony on the Masters of the Universe movie. Nothing new though.
    Last edited by Tallstar; February 7, 2019 at 05:44pm.

That issue will have a potential shooting schedule in it, as well as a proposed location. Probably has a brief plot synopsis, too. Oh well, maybe Omega Underground or another site reports on it.
    Last edited by Krueger; February 7, 2019 at 07:21pm.

Widget
    But what’s the point to making a movie without a plan for an accompanying multimedia franchise, a Masters Universe? It shouldn’t even be about toys any longer, but rather a movie-driven canon building upon all that came before and then basically taking over. Start with the 1980s since that is what most people remember, continue exactly where the original franchise left off (importing later innovations where appropriate) and kick off the whole thing with Powers of Grayskull: The Legend Begins.

That issue will have a potential shooting schedule in it, as well as a proposed location. Probably has a brief plot synopsis, too. Oh well, maybe Omega Underground or another site reports on it.
    Yeah, hopefully another site will reveal the information soon. I am tempted to subscribe, but Production Weekly's terms section makes it clear that their updates cannot be shared. It's for personal use only. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Yeah, hopefully another site will reveal the information soon. I am tempted to subscribe, but Production Weekly's terms section makes it clear that their updates cannot be shared. It's for personal use only. :/
    You could always create a burner social media account on instagram or Twitter and nudge one of us over there with a "oh hey, someone posted they might be filming the movie at this time and location possibly in the future..." without context. lol