Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Omnibus book from DC this February, 2019

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrowe View Post
    Which "other continuities" are you talking about, Computor? Like, fan fiction? I liked the Book of Evil
    Not fan fiction, just the official variation which is sometimes referred to as different canons (eg. the 2002 version where Marlena doesn't appear to be from Earth vs the 2012 comics where that part of her origin is restored). Classics do not flesh out the whole story for posterity, but merely provide their own synthesis and elaboration, which can be accepted or ignored outside of that continuity.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    It's DC Comics' own reprint of their material.

You wouldn't find Marvel stories in there anyway?

Also GBA minicomic was done by MVCreations, so that wouldn't be in DC release.

What Special Exclusive 2000 comics that were packaged with toys are you referring to?
    There were in 2000s only one comic that came in He-Man/Skeletor 2pack. And second comic never published. Both of which are included in Dark Horse Minicomic Collection Book.

Yes, those. Sorry, and nevermind. I forgot this was just a DC Omnibus Book.
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Computor View Post
    Not fan fiction, just the official variation which is sometimes referred to as different canons (eg. the 2002 version where Marlena doesn't appear to be from Earth vs the 2012 comics where that part of her origin is restored). Classics do not flesh out the whole story for posterity, but merely provide their own synthesis and elaboration, which can be accepted or ignored outside of that continuity.
    Basically "Classics" is its own canon. Next to "Filmation" or "UK Comics" or "German audioplays".
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Computor View Post
    Basically "Classics" is its own canon. Next to "Filmation" or "UK Comics" or "German audioplays".
    Thanks, Computor and Jukka. I see what you're saying. I guess I have a compulsion to find the "definitive" history of Eternia, and to be honest, I never really got into the 200X line, but I know that's actually where a lot of fans first encountered the story. So maybe I need to delve into that line a bit more. I know that's where they really explored the idea of Keldor becoming Skeletor, stuff that seemed like it was only hinted at in the vintage line.

Whatever the case, it's a rich mythology, and it's fun to see people interpreting and reinterpreting the stories. I suppose that's been going on the whole time, since the He-Man in the original minicomic was clearly never Prince Adam, and the stories in the newspaper comic strips were their own take on the story, sort of blending the figures and Filmation and even the New Adventures of He-Man but keeping He-Man looking the same as the vintage character and not giving him a ponytail and full pants.

For what it's worth, I'd love to see some kind of History of Eternia comic series. Maybe framing it as Prince Adam teaching some kids about the history of their world (or maybe it would be Randor (or Man-at-Arms, or Sorceress) teaching a younger Prince Adam about the history of Eternia, just to sort of bookend the story with the main characters they love. Sort of have two plotlines going, weaving in and out of each other. You could even hint at a multiverse of the other cannons, maybe in a chamber in Grayskull. (Okay, maybe I'm getting carried away...)

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrowe View Post
    Thanks, Computor and Jukka. I see what you're saying. I guess I have a compulsion to find the "definitive" history of Eternia, and to be honest, I never really got into the 200X line, but I know that's actually where a lot of fans first encountered the story. So maybe I need to delve into that line a bit more. I know that's where they really explored the idea of Keldor becoming Skeletor, stuff that seemed like it was only hinted at in the vintage line.
    That example is unique in its own way because it was just that, a hint. So late in the game for the toyline. And had it gone further, I think it would've made a big impact on many stories. Much like the first retcon Skeletor endured, of "this-new-villain-was-actually-your-boss-all-along". Where every story that helped introduce Hordak and Evil Horde, made some mention or point about Skeletor being his pupil. Ignoring the majority of "Demon from another dimension" aspect. I think UK Comics were one to try at the time to justify many new story elements into character histories.

Of course the problem sometimes is, when a fan looks at Filmation cartoon and goes like "watch out He-Man, your uncle is attacking behind those rocks!" which irks me personally.

Keldor aspect is what 200x took and ran with it. Which has after it, been utilized in Classics and modern DC Comic stories. So we may never "go back" on that portion...

For what it's worth, I'd love to see some kind of History of Eternia comic series. Maybe framing it as Prince Adam teaching some kids about the history of their world (or maybe it would be Randor (or Man-at-Arms, or Sorceress) teaching a younger Prince Adam about the history of Eternia, just to sort of bookend the story with the main characters they love. Sort of have two plotlines going, weaving in and out of each other. You could even hint at a multiverse of the other cannons, maybe in a chamber in Grayskull. (Okay, maybe I'm getting carried away...)
    I'd like that. Especially a lesson method for Adam. Because he easily can be the audience proxy for many things, one being Legends of Eternia and its history.

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Court Magician
    Content wise this is awesome, but man I wish they split it in two. I can't read this sucker in bed without breaking my arms.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    Content wise this is awesome, but man I wish they split it in two. I can't read this sucker in bed without breaking my arms.
    That's because it's more of an old-school collectible curiosity, not an everyday solution for 2019. You want ComiXology and a large iPad Pro (or an equivalent tablet of your choice).

I was finally able to order my MOTU Omnibus today, it took me a while to be able to get around to it as I've had so much going on, but it will hopefully be delivered through Amazon Prime in a week or two.

That example is unique in its own way because it was just that, a hint. So late in the game for the toyline. And had it gone further, I think it would've made a big impact on many stories. Much like the first retcon Skeletor endured, of "this-new-villain-was-actually-your-boss-all-along". Where every story that helped introduce Hordak and Evil Horde, made some mention or point about Skeletor being his pupil. Ignoring the majority of "Demon from another dimension" aspect. I think UK Comics were one to try at the time to justify many new story elements into character histories.

Of course the problem sometimes is, when a fan looks at Filmation cartoon and goes like "watch out He-Man, your uncle is attacking behind those rocks!" which irks me personally.

Keldor aspect is what 200x took and ran with it. Which has after it, been utilized in Classics and modern DC Comic stories. So we may never "go back" on that portion...

I'd like that. Especially a lesson method for Adam. Because he easily can be the audience proxy for many things, one being Legends of Eternia and its history.
    My daughter is 5 (almost 6) and she is a huge MOTU fan. We've been reading through the minicomic book together at night (she's a great reader and does a darn fine Skeletor voice) and it has been fun, but she's definitely still trying to understand that there are "different" interpretations of MOTU. She gets that the new She-Ra, Filmation, and 200x are different cartoons, but things like the familial relationships and character origins (why isn't Skeletor He-Man's uncle in Filmation and minicomics? Why does Adam live in the jungle and where are his parents?) definitely still give her a bit of confusion. For her, 200x and Filmation tend to be the lens through which she sees everything else.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Heroic Warrior
    Man, my parish library is awesome. I recommended they order this book and they did. And now I have it in my hand in all its glory.

https://catalog.ebrpl.com/iguana/www...28425&srchDb=1
    Most Wanted:

Snake Mountain and Eternia Playsets!

Amazon actually has it on sale for only $87 right now at https://amzn.to/2H1p7yD
    I am the Green Goddess!
    https://amzn.to/2N420aD

See my Masters of the Universe Mega Construx mini figures on eBay HERE!

Heroic Warrior
    New He-Man comic coming out in November by DC Comics called He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Goddess View Post
    Amazon actually has it on sale for only $87 right now at https://amzn.to/2H1p7yD
    it was 60 something last week
    Most Wanted:

Snake Mountain and Eternia Playsets!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by powerofGS View Post
    it was 60 something last week
    It is back down to 59.80 on amazon now.

I've been working my way through this massive tome the last week or so. Having never read this series I have to say I'm really enjoying it. I completely understand why some fans would be turned off by some of the decisions made in this retelling, but for me it's been a breath of fresh air seeing familiar characters in unfamiliar situations. I'd recommend it to anyone on the fence, especially if you can get it cheaper than I did. I paid $80 or so and I don't regret the purchase whatsoever.

I've held out for so long, because I just wasn't willing to pay the absurd prices in the UK. For ages, the cheapest I found it at was £50. Well, I'm pleased to say my patience has paid off. I found it for £29.99, so I snapped it up quickly.

I recently picked up a used copy at a local bookstore for $76 (Canadian) - I highly doubt I'd be able to find it for cheaper than that.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I've held out for so long, because I just wasn't willing to pay the absurd prices in the UK. For ages, the cheapest I found it at was £50. Well, I'm pleased to say my patience has paid off. I found it for £29.99, so I snapped it up quickly.
    My goodness, what a steal! Even £50 was a steal! The cheapest I've ever seen it going for anywhere around here is still over €90 (which is about €50 less than its list price).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    My goodness, what a steal! Even £50 was a steal! The cheapest I've ever seen it going for anywhere around here is still over €90 (which is about €50 less than its list price).
    Quick, Amazon UK are selling it for £29.50, free postage:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/He-Man-Mast...%2C191&sr=1-10

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Quick, Amazon UK are selling it for £29.50, free postage:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/He-Man-Mast...%2C191&sr=1-10
    That link does not direct to the DC Comics MOTU Omnibus Though.

(But instead to Dark Horse Minicomic Collection)

Oooops, ignore me then. We're on entirely different wavelengths.

I hope it's not a problem that I revive this thread after so long. It's just that I only recently got this book and I'm almost finished reading it.

I used to be really big into collecting comics, DC in particular, but I jumped off around the time of "Flashpoint" and the New 52; other things were taking priority in my life and the expense of collecting was another factor. As such, I missed the entire DC run of MOTU except for a couple random issues I'd picked up here and there, like two or three. Reading them with no context, they were interesting, but I could tell they'd be very divisive for some people. I wanted to read more but I wasn't sure when I'd get around to it. When I found out about this hardcover collection, it seemed like a no-brainer, so I ordered it off of Amazon immediately for about $80 after tax.

Having finally managed to read the entire modern series in order, all I can say is... WOW. That was both nothing that I would have expected and yet everything it needed to be. It's not what I might've done if I were scripting the franchise but it's still one of the best versions of the He-Man mythos, in my opinion. It really blew me away from the start; I picked it up to "just skim a few pages" before bed on Saturday night, and read over 400 pages in one shot. I simply couldn't put it down until I got to the start of the DC cross-over - which incidentally, sadly, was my least-favorite part of the entire run, except for the plot advancement with Skeletor and of course Orko. The DC characters, however, seemed to be "just there", and the cross-over angle seemed very generic and more than a little rushed. Not terrible, but definitely felt like a missed opportunity. The MOTU half was good but the DC half didn't hold up its end, in my opinion. They could have used ANY fictional universe and the story would be exactly the same. As a big DC fan, that disappointed me, but it was the ONLY part of the run that did. "The Eternity War", by contrast, was fantastic.

It was both very neat and a bit jarring to jump right from the end of that to the Thundercats cross-over, since tonally the MOTU universe in either is very different, with the one in the Thundercats cross-over being more or less a straight take on the Filmation universe. Going "classic" with both MOTU and Thundercats for that story and making it non-canon was probably the safest and easiest way to do that particular tale, but at the same time it didn't mesh with the other 95% of the book before it. I will say that I enjoyed it more than the DCU cross-over, and it really made me think of the old early-2000s Thundercats comics.

Going back to the "vintage" DC stuff from the early-80s after reading all the rest is SO weird. That said, I'm still very grateful that both those particular issues and the Thundercats cross-over were included in this book for the sake of "DC Completion".

What a fantastic book, so much better than I'd expected. I do have a few minor complaints about the DC run, though. For one thing, the artwork is so highly inconsistent that it becomes very jarring and noticeable. Not that it's "bad", although some is better than others, but the abrupt changes issue-to-issue for much of the first half of the book can make it a little tough to focus on the story, at times. Especially Teela's "disappearing/reappearing" arrow wound in one of the earliest issues; that was pretty bad (especially when Evil-Lyn said she hadn't "so much as spilled a drop of blood" when we literally just saw her get hit with an arrow two pages earlier). Otherwise, my biggest gripe is that the storyline centering around poor Orko was never properly resolved after the DC cross-over, and I doubt we'll ever see a resolution to it. The "dark future" that Adam averted by destroying the Power Sword seems to hint that at some point in the future they do (or did) manage to restore Orko to his true self, BUT that future was erased and so now who knows what might happen with that. It's just a shame because just about everything ELSE in the entire DC MOTU series was tied up rather well by the end of it.

Overall, I really loved this book and look forward to reading it with my wife. It was a lot better than I ever expected it to be.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Congrats.I hope i can get this book.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post

Especially Teela's "disappearing/reappearing" arrow wound in one of the earliest issues; that was pretty bad (especially when Evil-Lyn said she hadn't "so much as spilled a drop of blood" when we literally just saw her get hit with an arrow two pages earlier).

Overall, I really loved this book and look forward to reading it with my wife. It was a lot better than I ever expected it to be.
    I totally agree with you Rikki Roxx! I just finished this story and this did jump out at me. It was so odd. But I passed it off as an illusion casted by Evil-lyn to help me ignore it. LOL The other thing that bothered me about this story, was when He-man confronts Skeletor, defeats him, which is fine, but there was absolutely no concern for the Sorceress. From anyone! That bothered me.

These are some nitpicks about the story, but the book itself is fantastic. I was able to pick it up for $66 new. And having not read a MotU comic for 20 years, this was perfect! The Evil-lyn short story was great! All in B&W and I felt so bad for Blak! Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Falk View Post
    I totally agree with you Rikki Roxx! I just finished this story and this did jump out at me. It was so odd. But I passed it off as an illusion casted by Evil-lyn to help me ignore it.
    That works. Let's go with that.

And yeah, a little more concern for the Sorceress in that moment would have gone over well. To be fair, there was SO much going on I'm sure our heroes were reeling from every possible direction. It is a bit odd that there wasn't more mention of the Sorceress, though.

I loved all of the one-shots/digital issues. That one with Cringer was great. I also liked that most of them, like the Evil-Lyn one, ended up having major repercussions to the story later on. As you're reading it, it's like "Oh, what a crafty witch that Evil-Lyn is," and that's plenty, but then just a bit later down the road you find out just how important that one-shot was in the grand scheme of things.

I liked that. Apart from the DC half of the cross-over, almost nothing in the entire series felt like "filler" and the plot had a lot of forward momentum, never letting up until it was finally over. And what an ending! "YOU have The Power!" That was awesome. I totally got MGS V "YOU are Big Boss" vibes from that.

And selfishly, despite the horrific acts committed and what was lost as a result, as a King Hiss fan from way back, I gotta say that his inclusion in the series and how he was used was absolutely fantastic. What a scumbag! That was awesome!
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA