Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Omnibus book from DC this February, 2019

Thanks for posting about the sale!
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

So, after it was pointed out that this omnibus does indeed include all of the '80s (non-mini) comics, and since I was reasonably sure DC won't be doing new printings of the out of print MOTU trades I was missing, I decided to sell the ones I do have and put the money toward getting this. The IST deal made it that much easier. It arrived today, and despite owning several other omnibus collections, I was unprepared for how massive this one is. It must weigh in at around ten pounds! It's definitely the thickest omnibus I own. I'm still not a fan of the front cover art. On a side note, I really like how the paper smells.

Just FYI for anyone who doesn't already know: For books this large, it's best to shelve it lying on its side, rather than standing upright. The binding can be damaged by the sheer weight of the pages otherwise.

The book does weight 10 lbs! I just got my shipment notice and the package is 10.4 lbs. Looking forward to receiving mine!

I also got my shipping notice today. That was a great price through IST. Thanks for the heads up Drunken Fist
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    So, after it was pointed out that this omnibus does indeed include all of the '80s (non-mini) comics, and since I was reasonably sure DC won't be doing new printings of the out of print MOTU trades I was missing, I decided to sell the ones I do have and put the money toward getting this. The IST deal made it that much easier. It arrived today, and despite owning several other omnibus collections, I was unprepared for how massive this one is. It must weigh in at around ten pounds! It's definitely the thickest omnibus I own. I'm still not a fan of the front cover art. On a side note, I really like how the paper smells.

Just FYI for anyone who doesn't already know: For books this large, it's best to shelve it lying on its side, rather than standing upright. The binding can be damaged by the sheer weight of the pages otherwise.

https://i.imgur.com/WP04g7Kh.jpg
    Homina, homina!!

Wow! That thing is HUGE!!

I can't wait to get mine!!

How does the binding feel when you open it up? Is it made to allow the middle of the book to open without the fear of breaking/creasing?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    Thanks for posting about the sale!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenskull View Post
    I also got my shipping notice today. That was a great price through IST. Thanks for the heads up Drunken Fist
    No problem, glad to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Homina, homina!!

Wow! That thing is HUGE!!

I can't wait to get mine!!

How does the binding feel when you open it up? Is it made to allow the middle of the book to open without the fear of breaking/creasing?
    I haven't had any issues with the binding so far, just over 200 pages in. Opening it to the middle didn't lead any creasing. Very little gutter loss so far, too! DC did a much better job with the binding than they did with some of their earlier omnibus collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    The book does weight 10 lbs! I just got my shipment notice and the package is 10.4 lbs. Looking forward to receiving mine!
    Heh, I was close! I'll have to be careful handling it; it would definitely be a toe breaker if dropped on a foot!

Widget
    I'm guessing the 201x stories are grouped by trade paperback volumes, or did they go for the actual order of events (eg. so that DC Universe vs. Masters of the Universe interrupts He-Man and the Masters of the Universe)?

Only $86.80 today. Ordered mine

DC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Computor View Post
    I'm guessing the 201x stories are grouped by trade paperback volumes, or did they go for the actual order of events (eg. so that DC Universe vs. Masters of the Universe interrupts He-Man and the Masters of the Universe)?
    They're in order. The DCU crossover is in the middle of the main series, and the digital chapters and are arranged in between the first and second series. The '80s stories are in the back, just before the bonus material.

Heroic Warrior
    Got my copy today. It's fantastic! So glad that DC put out this collection. It's massive, but worth it and I will proudly display it with my Dark Horse collections. Now we need a Star Comics collection!

Got my copy in the other day and its a awesome finally having a bound copy of this series - though its undeniable that its almost laughably heavy. To a nearly un-readable degree. But, with a nice (strong) table or lap board it will make for a nice read. A part of me kind of wishes they split it into two smaller Omnibus (and included the MOTU vs Injustice miniseries) but what we got is still great. Hope DC isn't done making MOTU stories.

chaosMonkeyPoo, agreed. This thing should have been split into two! It's huuuuge!

"I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Mine arrived as well. Yep, it's big and heavy but looks great!

Heroic Warrior
    This is on sale for $77 at Amazon and Walmart right now:

Click here to order

Great deal!

Widget
    The remastered classic stories are a definite draw, but the tome is massive and it's hard to see the parts of pages close to the binding, even if you hold the volume open while being careful not to crease the spine. The comiXology releases are far more practical for rereading the recent cycle.

Thanks for the tip on the Amazon sale, zeiss! Ordered mine. Looking forward to working out my arm (and eye) muscles with this massive tome!

I would love to see a comic book series that details the whole history of Eternia, stuff that seemingly is only revealed through the bios of the characters in some of the Classics line. Like Gygor and Oolar and the stuff that seems hinted at but never totally revealed/explained. Or is there a comic series that explores that? I know some of the late minicomics sorta deal with that, but it's not the fleshed out story that I'd love to read.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrowe View Post
    I would love to see a comic book series that details the whole history of Eternia, stuff that seemingly is only revealed through the bios of the characters in some of the Classics line. Like Gygor and Oolar and the stuff that seems hinted at but never totally revealed/explained. Or is there a comic series that explores that? I know some of the late minicomics sorta deal with that, but it's not the fleshed out story that I'd love to read.
    If you are talking about vintage comics and/or minicomics, they always focused on modern-day adventures as in focus is on He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak etc.
    There isn't an actual comic series that deals with history of Eternia because then it wouldn't be about the main characters. Any info about backstories or histories in
    UK Comics, minicomics or Magazines were just a quick shout out to explain something happening then-and-there for the characters.

On the Classics story front; the current MastersMondays do share lot of bio/info-cards that unveil history to things in new ways (as it pertains to Classics-only continuity), so that may be your best bet on having lore about Eternian history.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    Are the few pages from He-Man Muscles In on Marvel included in this book? Is Superman and the Masters of the Universe included? Is Fate Is The Killer included? Is the mini-comic from GameBoy Advance included? Are all the Special/Exclusive 2000s comics that were packaged with the toys included?
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DynastyMasters View Post
    Are the few pages from He-Man Muscles In on Marvel included in this book? Is Superman and the Masters of the Universe included? Is Fate Is The Killer included? Is the mini-comic from GameBoy Advance included? Are all the Special/Exclusive 2000s comics that were packaged with the toys included?
    All of the DC MOTU full-sized comics are included, including Fate is the Killer and the other Superman comic. No minicomics nor 200x comics are included.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    On the Classics story front; the current MastersMondays do share lot of bio/info-cards that unveil history to things in new ways (as it pertains to Classics-only continuity), so that may be your best bet on having lore about Eternian history.
    Thanks for the tip on MastersMondays, Jukka! I will have to check those out. I'm a little torn, because I am really fascinated by and drawn to this mythology and history that is hinted at, but I worry that seeing the whole story fleshed out might not live up to expectations. Sort of like the Star Wars prequels

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrowe View Post
    TI'm a little torn, because I am really fascinated by and drawn to this mythology and history that is hinted at, but I worry that seeing the whole story fleshed out might not live up to expectations. Sort of like the Star Wars prequels
    But unlike the Star Wars prequels, none of that lore is fixed outside the continuity of origin, serving merely as a resource for other continuities.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    All of the DC MOTU full-sized comics are included, including Fate is the Killer and the other Superman comic. No minicomics nor 200x comics are included.
    Oh, so no Marvel comics included in this book! Got it!
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Oh, so no Marvel comics included in this book! Got it!
    It's DC Comics' own reprint of their material.

You wouldn't find Marvel stories in there anyway?

Also GBA minicomic was done by MVCreations, so that wouldn't be in DC release.

What Special Exclusive 2000 comics that were packaged with toys are you referring to?
    There were in 2000s only one comic that came in He-Man/Skeletor 2pack. And second comic never published. Both of which are included in Dark Horse Minicomic Collection Book.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Computor View Post
    But unlike the Star Wars prequels, none of that lore is fixed outside the continuity of origin, serving merely as a resource for other continuities.
    Which "other continuities" are you talking about, Computor? Like, fan fiction? I liked the Book of Evil