Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Omnibus book from DC this February, 2019

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrowe View Post
    Which "other continuities" are you talking about, Computor? Like, fan fiction? I liked the Book of Evil
    Not fan fiction, just the official variation which is sometimes referred to as different canons (eg. the 2002 version where Marlena doesn't appear to be from Earth vs the 2012 comics where that part of her origin is restored). Classics do not flesh out the whole story for posterity, but merely provide their own synthesis and elaboration, which can be accepted or ignored outside of that continuity.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    It's DC Comics' own reprint of their material.

You wouldn't find Marvel stories in there anyway?

Also GBA minicomic was done by MVCreations, so that wouldn't be in DC release.

What Special Exclusive 2000 comics that were packaged with toys are you referring to?
    There were in 2000s only one comic that came in He-Man/Skeletor 2pack. And second comic never published. Both of which are included in Dark Horse Minicomic Collection Book.

Yes, those. Sorry, and nevermind. I forgot this was just a DC Omnibus Book.
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Computor View Post
    Not fan fiction, just the official variation which is sometimes referred to as different canons (eg. the 2002 version where Marlena doesn't appear to be from Earth vs the 2012 comics where that part of her origin is restored). Classics do not flesh out the whole story for posterity, but merely provide their own synthesis and elaboration, which can be accepted or ignored outside of that continuity.
    Basically "Classics" is its own canon. Next to "Filmation" or "UK Comics" or "German audioplays".
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Computor View Post
    Basically "Classics" is its own canon. Next to "Filmation" or "UK Comics" or "German audioplays".
    Thanks, Computor and Jukka. I see what you're saying. I guess I have a compulsion to find the "definitive" history of Eternia, and to be honest, I never really got into the 200X line, but I know that's actually where a lot of fans first encountered the story. So maybe I need to delve into that line a bit more. I know that's where they really explored the idea of Keldor becoming Skeletor, stuff that seemed like it was only hinted at in the vintage line.

Whatever the case, it's a rich mythology, and it's fun to see people interpreting and reinterpreting the stories. I suppose that's been going on the whole time, since the He-Man in the original minicomic was clearly never Prince Adam, and the stories in the newspaper comic strips were their own take on the story, sort of blending the figures and Filmation and even the New Adventures of He-Man but keeping He-Man looking the same as the vintage character and not giving him a ponytail and full pants.

For what it's worth, I'd love to see some kind of History of Eternia comic series. Maybe framing it as Prince Adam teaching some kids about the history of their world (or maybe it would be Randor (or Man-at-Arms, or Sorceress) teaching a younger Prince Adam about the history of Eternia, just to sort of bookend the story with the main characters they love. Sort of have two plotlines going, weaving in and out of each other. You could even hint at a multiverse of the other cannons, maybe in a chamber in Grayskull. (Okay, maybe I'm getting carried away...)

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrowe View Post
    Thanks, Computor and Jukka. I see what you're saying. I guess I have a compulsion to find the "definitive" history of Eternia, and to be honest, I never really got into the 200X line, but I know that's actually where a lot of fans first encountered the story. So maybe I need to delve into that line a bit more. I know that's where they really explored the idea of Keldor becoming Skeletor, stuff that seemed like it was only hinted at in the vintage line.
    That example is unique in its own way because it was just that, a hint. So late in the game for the toyline. And had it gone further, I think it would've made a big impact on many stories. Much like the first retcon Skeletor endured, of "this-new-villain-was-actually-your-boss-all-along". Where every story that helped introduce Hordak and Evil Horde, made some mention or point about Skeletor being his pupil. Ignoring the majority of "Demon from another dimension" aspect. I think UK Comics were one to try at the time to justify many new story elements into character histories.

Of course the problem sometimes is, when a fan looks at Filmation cartoon and goes like "watch out He-Man, your uncle is attacking behind those rocks!" which irks me personally.

Keldor aspect is what 200x took and ran with it. Which has after it, been utilized in Classics and modern DC Comic stories. So we may never "go back" on that portion...

For what it's worth, I'd love to see some kind of History of Eternia comic series. Maybe framing it as Prince Adam teaching some kids about the history of their world (or maybe it would be Randor (or Man-at-Arms, or Sorceress) teaching a younger Prince Adam about the history of Eternia, just to sort of bookend the story with the main characters they love. Sort of have two plotlines going, weaving in and out of each other. You could even hint at a multiverse of the other cannons, maybe in a chamber in Grayskull. (Okay, maybe I'm getting carried away...)
    I'd like that. Especially a lesson method for Adam. Because he easily can be the audience proxy for many things, one being Legends of Eternia and its history.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Widget
    Content wise this is awesome, but man I wish they split it in two. I can't read this sucker in bed without breaking my arms.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    Content wise this is awesome, but man I wish they split it in two. I can't read this sucker in bed without breaking my arms.
    That's because it's more of an old-school collectible curiosity, not an everyday solution for 2019. You want ComiXology and a large iPad Pro (or an equivalent tablet of your choice).

I was finally able to order my MOTU Omnibus today, it took me a while to be able to get around to it as I've had so much going on, but it will hopefully be delivered through Amazon Prime in a week or two.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

That example is unique in its own way because it was just that, a hint. So late in the game for the toyline. And had it gone further, I think it would've made a big impact on many stories. Much like the first retcon Skeletor endured, of "this-new-villain-was-actually-your-boss-all-along". Where every story that helped introduce Hordak and Evil Horde, made some mention or point about Skeletor being his pupil. Ignoring the majority of "Demon from another dimension" aspect. I think UK Comics were one to try at the time to justify many new story elements into character histories.

Of course the problem sometimes is, when a fan looks at Filmation cartoon and goes like "watch out He-Man, your uncle is attacking behind those rocks!" which irks me personally.

Keldor aspect is what 200x took and ran with it. Which has after it, been utilized in Classics and modern DC Comic stories. So we may never "go back" on that portion...

I'd like that. Especially a lesson method for Adam. Because he easily can be the audience proxy for many things, one being Legends of Eternia and its history.
    My daughter is 5 (almost 6) and she is a huge MOTU fan. We've been reading through the minicomic book together at night (she's a great reader and does a darn fine Skeletor voice) and it has been fun, but she's definitely still trying to understand that there are "different" interpretations of MOTU. She gets that the new She-Ra, Filmation, and 200x are different cartoons, but things like the familial relationships and character origins (why isn't Skeletor He-Man's uncle in Filmation and minicomics? Why does Adam live in the jungle and where are his parents?) definitely still give her a bit of confusion. For her, 200x and Filmation tend to be the lens through which she sees everything else.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Heroic Warrior
    Man, my parish library is awesome. I recommended they order this book and they did. And now I have it in my hand in all its glory.

https://catalog.ebrpl.com/iguana/www...28425&srchDb=1
    Most Wanted:

Snake Mountain and Eternia Playsets!

Amazon actually has it on sale for only $87 right now at https://amzn.to/2H1p7yD
    I am the Green Goddess!
    https://amzn.to/2N420aD

Heroic Warrior
    New He-Man comic coming out in November by DC Comics called He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Goddess View Post
    Amazon actually has it on sale for only $87 right now at https://amzn.to/2H1p7yD
    it was 60 something last week
    Most Wanted:

Snake Mountain and Eternia Playsets!