Thread: 30th anniversary of the New Adventures of He-Man

30th anniversary of the New Adventures of He-Man

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the "New Adventures" He-Man toyline as well as the cartoon. I know New Adventures isn't the most popular iteration of He-Man, but it might be nice for either Mattel or Super7 to do something to commemorate the milestone. Maybe some NA Reactions? Or as someone else suggested in another thread, some beefy 5.5" vintage MOTU style NA figures? Slush Head themed green Kool-Aid?

Maybe there will be something at Power-Con? I noticed they have the New Adventures logo this year

Last edited by Lich Leech; March 4, 2019 at 09:15pm.

I hope so! As much as the 2002 line seems to get short shrift much of the time, NA gets it even worse. Hopefully we'll get a couple more NA figures in Classics this year, at the very least. I'd love it if we got some of the space mutants in the vintage-style line. It looks like that's going to be yet another line devoted to Filmation-style variants, which is unfortunate. It has so much more potential!

I know it likely won't happen, but I'd love for Mill Creek or someone to release a complete series DVD set in celebration of it. I do already have the BCI sets, but I wouldn't mind a cheap set to use more as my watching discs and keep the BCI set as more of a collectible. The BCI sets go for a pretty penny now.

Master of New Adventures!
    I think there's a very small group of people who care about NA.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I think there's a very small group of people who care about NA.
    Well then count me in as a member of this very small group !

I figure I better step up my New Adventures articles this year. Here's the first of 2019:

http://battleramblog.com/disks-of-doom-skeletor-1990/

Thank you, Shecky.

Many people worked together and very hard on NA. That it failed was for a variety of reasons, most of which have been covered before. I believe if it was released today, with social media where it is, it might have had a better chance of success because fans would not have it dropped on them with no explanation, but rather would understand that it was just one 'adventure' and that He-man and Skelly would eventually return to Eternia.

Of course that's belated and it is what it is.

Suffice it to say that in a career that has spanned four decades, NA is a hole in my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post

I believe if it was released today, with social media where it is, it might have had a better chance of success because fans would not have it dropped on them with no explanation, but rather would understand that it was just one 'adventure' and that He-man and Skelly would eventually return to Eternia.
    I think you're right, Jack. Coming to NA knowing what its premise is, it's a lot easier to like it and appreciate it. Frankly, I don't even mind that it ends without He-Man and Skeletor returning to Eternia: it's just another chapter in the story and - while your plans for season 2, which I've read somewhere on this site, sound like they would have been awesome - it seems somehow appropriate that Skeletor's story ends with him going completely loopy and ending up adrift in space.

I'll be honest - I didn't particularly like it when I was little (because it wasn't the same as Filmation, and as a 6 year old, I was less willing to give it a chance, I fear), and it's still not my favourite incarnation of the franchise, but I can and will freely acknowledge there's some really great stuff in there. Four Ways to Sundown in particular is probably the most imaginative and original episode in the entire canon. I really enjoyed writing reviews of the series for my blog (not posted yet, though!). I expect I've said it before somewhere on the org, but if I haven't, I must say thank you to you for all the work and effort you put into the series, and also for your continued engagement with the fans.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

Thank you for this. Four Ways to Sundown also is a personal favorite of mine. I intended it as an homage to Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon. I'm pleased it was well received by NA fans.

Not sure if you listened to the masters cast podcast interview with me, so here's a link to it:

http://masterscast.com/2007/01/28/ma...st-episode-25/

Of course I'm tremendously indebted to BCI and BCI Guy for issuing the two-part DVD collection of NA. I believe, through it, that many fans gave NA a second chance and some came to accepting it; a few even liking it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    I think you're right, Jack. Coming to NA knowing what its premise is, it's a lot easier to like it and appreciate it. Frankly, I don't even mind that it ends without He-Man and Skeletor returning to Eternia: it's just another chapter in the story and - while your plans for season 2, which I've read somewhere on this site, sound like they would have been awesome - it seems somehow appropriate that Skeletor's story ends with him going completely loopy and ending up adrift in space.

I'll be honest - I didn't particularly like it when I was little (because it wasn't the same as Filmation, and as a 6 year old, I was less willing to give it a chance, I fear), and it's still not my favourite incarnation of the franchise, but I can and will freely acknowledge there's some really great stuff in there. Four Ways to Sundown in particular is probably the most imaginative and original episode in the entire canon. I really enjoyed writing reviews of the series for my blog (not posted yet, though!). I expect I've said it before somewhere on the org, but if I haven't, I must say thank you to you for all the work and effort you put into the series, and also for your continued engagement with the fans.

Widget
    Another decade has passed!
    Time flies so fast, Happy 30th Anniversary!

Thank you for this. Four Ways to Sundown also is a personal favorite of mine. I intended it as an homage to Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon. I'm pleased it was well received by NA fans.

Not sure if you listened to the masters cast podcast interview with me, so here's a link to it:

I haven't listened to that, so thanks for providing the link. I'll give it a go on the walk to work sometime next week, if I can figure out how to get it onto my mp3 player...
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Me to!

Of course I'm tremendously indebted to BCI and BCI Guy for issuing the two-part DVD collection of NA. I believe, through it, that many fans gave NA a second chance and some came to accepting it; a few even liking it a lot.
    I always liked it. I especially liked the interpretation of Skeletor, and it informs some of the fan fiction that I have written in the past. You always have to wonder how nuts you would go if you were turned into *that* and had to deal with the likes of the Evil Warriors and the Mutants.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

I've enjoyed the NA series a lot. I wish they were easily available somewhere - I've just been watching low res episodes on Youtube.

Ebay never disappoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I've enjoyed the NA series a lot. I wish they were easily available somewhere - I've just been watching low res episodes on Youtube.

floggatarms.jpg<< Click here!

I've always loved the way Flogg looked like a twisted nightmare version of Man-at-Arms, even down to his attire.
    Last edited by Rammy; February 1, 2019 at 07:54am.
    I was 7 years old, it was the first episode I saw, and because of that screenshot I thought it was spelled with an 'E'... "I didn't invent the ****ing thing!" - Kyle Reese
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

REIGNBOW BRUTE; Crushing Your Childhood One Dream at a Time!

01.01.1990:

Thank you, Shecky.

Many people worked together and very hard on NA. That it failed was for a variety of reasons, most of which have been covered before. I believe if it was released today, with social media where it is, it might have had a better chance of success because fans would not have it dropped on them with no explanation, but rather would understand that it was just one 'adventure' and that He-man and Skelly would eventually return to Eternia.

Of course that's belated and it is what it is.

Suffice it to say that in a career that has spanned four decades, NA is a hole in my heart.
    Well today it'd be whole lot easier for your guys to research before starting the production (the series bible mixes up Eternos with Castle Grayskull and original He-Man's practically described as an uncaring, cold hearted S.O.B. )
    Plus you'd have more time as originally the show was quickly transferred from Filmation after its sudden closure by L'Oreal (at that point being titled "Masters of space"), leaving you with only few months to get the initial batch of episodes ready for airing.

The show gets whole lot better as it goes on.

That is possibly the greatest comedic episodes this franchise will ever have!
    Also, it features some STELLAR animation!
    Last edited by Grimbot; February 3, 2019 at 08:27pm.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Or as someone else suggested in another thread, some beefy 5.5" vintage MOTU style NA figures?
    https://i.imgur.com/MDOTasN.jpg
    I'd love to have these. And Super 7 is already a go on these types of things.

My Toy/Nerd Blog - Ubernerd, Beyond Loserdome https://beyondloserdome.blogspot.com/

Travel down the Rabbit Hole into my take on the Eternian Mythos:

Direct link to the Google Slides - https://goo.gl/0DJy5p

Link to my Thread in the Fan Fiction Forums - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e-MOTU-Mythos)

Sincerely appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMar View Post
    Me to!
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Dave-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I always liked it. I especially liked the interpretation of Skeletor, and it informs some of the fan fiction that I have written in the past. You always have to wonder how nuts you would go if you were turned into *that* and had to deal with the likes of the Evil Warriors and the Mutants.