Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remember when they marketed R-rated movies to kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I don't know if it is a little bit off topic, but new Netflix animated anthology produced by David Fincher is extremely hardcore and for mature audiences and is awesome: "Love - Death - Robots"
    I've got to see it
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    I watched the whole season yesterday and man... what an amazing show. I had instant backflashes back to the days when the first stuff from Japan came over and watching Animatrix for the first time.

They also did Starship Troopers action figures back in 97.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; March 31, 2019 at 12:19am.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I remember that Alien toy they put out in the '70s after the movie came out. Looking back on that, I never could figure out who thought that would be a good thing for kids.
    Luckily my mom figured out that I would LOVE the Kenner Alien figure, and she was right. It had a working jaw, something no toy has yet to duplicate. I had so much fun with that figure, I took it everywhere with me. Still have it.

R-Rated movie stories -
    New years eve my mom grabbed a bunch of movies from our local library, not noticing some were rated R. One of the movies was Eating Raoul. My mother was horrified when I told her the plot.
    For my cousins 10th birthday party, my Aunt took her and the other kids to see Porky's, which she thought was a kids movie. SO very wrong. LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I don't know if it is a little bit off topic, but new Netflix animated anthology produced by David Fincher is extremely hardcore and for mature audiences and is awesome: "Love - Death - Robots"
    It's supposed to be a modern reboot of Heavy Metal. I haven't watched all of them, but I really liked the Hitler one and the one with the three robots roaming the apocalypse.
    Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

Watching "Love - Death - Robots" gave me renewed hope with the Terminator movie since Tim Miller is directing it and is behind this new show.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Watching "Love - Death - Robots" gave me renewed hope with the Terminator movie since Tim Miller is directing it and is behind this new show.
    As much as i love Deadpool and Terminator 1 and 2, i'd rather the Terminator franchise which is a dead horse after T2 should just end, your just gonna keep getting diminishing returns and when that happens let it just die and do new franchises like John Wick which i support new cinematic franchises. T2 was the last story for me and last Terminator that was great.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Another thing to remember... back then kids had imagination. I had He-man fight all kinds of giant robots and scary alien monsters... I didn't NEED to know about the franchise and lore attached to a toy to enjoy it. I see a two-head dragon.. and that's good enough for me!! I WANT IT!!! And He-man will ride it... and then Team up with Voltron to fight Godzilla... who is being controlled by Mer-man.. after stealing control from Aquaman. Throw a cyborg or Alien monster in there... and I'm all for it.

Because IMAGINATION!!!!
    This! You took the words right out my mouth. My sister and I would play together and combine several different toylines into multiple adventures. It doesn't matter what franchise the toys came from. They were a part of OUR WORLD. Imagination creates wonderful things, and we had all kinds of adventures.

A lot of kids these days miss out on this. Electronic devices are more important that toys and the great outdoors. My kids won't be raised like that.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Damn right, we need to raise kids right on playing with toys and going outside to interact with people outside the net

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    This! You took the words right out my mouth. My sister and I would play together and combine several different toylines into multiple adventures. It doesn't matter what franchise the toys came from. They were a part of OUR WORLD. Imagination creates wonderful things, and we had all kinds of adventures.

A lot of kids these days miss out on this. Electronic devices are more important that toys and the great outdoors. My kids won't be raised like that.
    That's one of the things I loved about the recent 3.75 inch line. LOTS of crossover appeal when scales match up. I remember I had a display set up where Doctor Who and his Tardis had collected Indiana Jones and Han Solo and was landing on the Helicarrier surrounded by Nick Fury, the A-team and GI Joe. Meanwhile Batman and Robin were Racing KITT with the batmobile while Superman was helping the Fantastic Four and Thor fight Galactus.

I never let scale get in the way of imagination as a kid... but the displays look a LOT cooler now

Imagine if they marketed Cobra toys to kids back in 86? or Total Recall action figures in 1990?

Court Magician
    In April on the 3rd or the 4th im going on an out of town 2 hour road trip and making a trip to the comic book shop and their bathroom is around the left corner when you go in the shop and on the walls right outside the bathroom, they have really old action figures from Robocop, Robin Hood, Terminator Judgement Day, the old Star Trek Next Generation toys, Austin Powers, the new Robocop and Demolition Man.

Funny thing is that I have been thinking about trying to buy at least one Demolition Man action figure. the character that Denis Leary starred as. I cant remember the name of the character.

I hate to say this but the Demolition Man figures look better than some of the Last Action Hero action figures.

Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    In April on the 3rd or the 4th im going on an out of town 2 hour road trip and making a trip to the comic book shop and their bathroom is around the left corner when you go in the shop and on the walls right outside the bathroom, they have really old action figures from Robocop, Robin Hood, Terminator Judgement Day, the old Star Trek Next Generation toys, Austin Powers, the new Robocop and Demolition Man.

Funny thing is that I have been thinking about trying to buy at least one Demolition Man action figure. the character that Denis Leary starred as. I cant remember the name of the character.

I hate to say this but the Demolition Man figures look better than some of the Last Action Hero action figures.
    Edgar Friendly

Court Magician
    Imagine cartoons being made right based on current movies

especially a John Wick cartoon
    im surprised a cartoon show based on Fast and the Furious isnt going on

Funny you mention that, Netflix has one planned by DreamWorks soon.

John Wick would have to be for Hulu or Amazon since it would be a TV-MA adult animated show and they should do one for Robocop

One of the Virginias, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    John Wick would have to be for Hulu or Amazon since it would be a TV-MA adult animated show and they should do one for Robocop
    Robocop has had 2 cartoons in the past:

Robocop the animated series 1 season 13 episodes
    Robocop Alpha Commandos I think 2 seasons and more than 30 episodes

I would check Wikipedia but then I end up reading other articles and I get stuck in a loop for a while.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties. I get comic books, novels, & ViewMaster Reels as well. If you want to discuss this stuff & other things, then PM me here on the .org. I enjoy anime, video games, & sci-fi, too. DC or Marvel, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    Robocop has had 2 cartoons in the past:

Robocop the animated series 1 season 13 episodes
    Robocop Alpha Commandos I think 2 seasons and more than 30 episodes

I would check Wikipedia but then I end up reading other articles and I get stuck in a loop for a while.
    I know, i remember the 1988 series but i'd love to see an adult animated Robocop series

just rewatched the brian Bosworth movie stone cold for the first time since I was about ten. still vastly entertaining, no wonder I remember loving it.

also I would've killed for a bolo yeung figure as a kid, why were there never any?

a collector line of figures of 80's and 90's action/ martial arts movie bad guys would be great!
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

"everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin

Quote Originally Posted by clashfromjem View Post
    just rewatched the brian Bosworth movie stone cold for the first time since I was about ten. still vastly entertaining, no wonder I remember loving it.

also I would've killed for a bolo yeung figure as a kid, why were there never any?

a collector line of figures of 80's and 90's action/ martial arts movie bad guys would be great!
    That would be something even Death Wish Kersey figure would be nice.

And who remembers lunchboxes to R-rated movies?

Heroic Warrior
    I have a hard time even thinking about Robocop as an 'R' rated property anymore. The first two were R... but we had the cartoon, Part 3, The TV series, another TV series, Not to mention the remake. Even the first two were edited for TV. I had the Nintendo game that basically told the entire story (one of the few games I actually did BEAT...)

Whatever hard edged gritty 'adult' satire that was planned for Robocop's creators had.... it was lost almost as soon as it was released. Cyborg cop fighting crime is the PERFECT vehicle for kids

Yeh they keep watering down Robocop after 2 which i felt 2 was the last worthwhile Robocop and then they just water him down.

I'd love to see them do an adult animated Robocop series for Amazon or Hulu
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; April 25, 2019 at 02:46pm.