Thread: Take The Vegetarian Pledge Next Week With Belinda Carlisle

Take The Vegetarian Pledge Next Week With Belinda Carlisle

Hey Guys

Here's an awesome opportunity to try something new (for some people anyway) and go vegetarian/vegan for a week with beautiful and talented musician Belinda Carlisle, who is also the founder of the Animal People Alliance. https://twitter.com/AnimalPeopleA

Belinda APA.jpg

I'm already a vegetarian (which some of you probably didn't know), although I do eat dairy products, which I'll happily give up for a week with Belinda.

*NEXT WEEK! will you take the #VegWeek #VegPledge with me and take meat, dairy and eggs off your plate for just seven days? April 22-28! you'll get deals, discounts, recipes AND be entered to win some very cool prizes. #GoVegan with http://VegWeek.com*

By the way, I don't judge non-vegetarians, I just wanted to stress that. It's something I did a long time ago for personal reasons.

Cheers, Mikey
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

*NEXT WEEK! will you take the #VegWeek #VegPledge with me and take meat, dairy and eggs off your plate for just seven days?
    -
    No. I have no interest in doing so as it would be a short term pointless symbolic gesture that in the grand scheme of things won't change anything in any major way.

In fact, next week I may even make it a point to eat more meat, dairy, and eggs than I normally do in a personal protest of how pointless this is.

Actually we could ALL benefit from cutting back on our meat consumption. Factory meat farms are horrible. I am not vegan or vegetarian, but I strive to be more plant based. I have seen people do amazing things with plant based diets, including reversing disease. Nothing wrong with trying to be a little more mindful of our impact on the planet and our own bodies.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Heroic Warrior
    I respect people's personal decision to go vegetarian or vegan, but I'm not supportive of the way some turn this into a moral crusade. The argument to reduce meat intake - particularly red meat - is better framed as a health issue.

And, of course, if the world suddenly went veggie, the immediate consequence would be the slaughter of millions of otherwise entirely useless animals, not to mention the collapse of uncountable livelihoods.

I'm afraid I won't be giving up meat and dairy just because a singer I never liked is engaging in virtue-signalling. But if others want to, I offer my respect for their conviction.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Belinda Carlisle is not "virtue signalling", she's devoted to her convictions as am I. I turned vegetarian a long time before I found she was one too. I love her music and the progressive liberal views of her and her amazing son James Duke Mason, both of whom I've also befriended and help in their campaigns ardently. My decision is both a moral and spiritual one, but as I said, it's not in my nature to judge others for their decisions, unless they are being blatantly racist, sexist, and homophobic. That I will not tolerate.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Heroic Warrior
    Belinda Carlisle is not "virtue signalling", she's devoted to her convictions as am I...[I] help in their campaigns ardently.
    And yet the tone of the website you link to and her quote very much present vegetarianism and veganism as ethically superior positions. And you acknowledge that you are a diehard campaigner. I'm not even suggesting that this stance is a bad one - my issue is that it should be a private choice, not a very public mission for converts.

My decision is both a moral and spiritual one.
    Well, morality is a fun topic that could be discussed at length, but I'd suggest most people's moral positions are generally quite subjective cognitive choices which are perpetuated by confirmation bias.

For example, anti-vaxxers genuinely believe they're taking a moral stance by not having their children immunised. They're fundamentally wrong, of course, and a better moral position would be to require compliance through legislation.

And to return to the topic in hand, and one of the points I wrote earlier, what is the moral position on euthanasing all of the millions of animals bred for food? Because that's what would happen en masse if the world stopped eating meat.

What's the moral position on devastating industries and livelihoods and pushing people into poverty? A stance is only principled if it can resolve all the related issues honestly and effectively.

As I said, I'm supportive of anyone who chooses to be veggie or vegan, but it should be a private matter, not a quest for adherents.
    Last edited by VaultsofGrayskull; April 18, 2019 at 03:00pm.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Actually we could ALL benefit from cutting back on our meat consumption. Factory meat farms are horrible. I am not vegan or vegetarian, but I strive to be more plant based. I have seen people do amazing things with plant based diets, including reversing disease. Nothing wrong with trying to be a little more mindful of our impact on the planet and our own bodies.
    I do otherwise agree. I've actually been trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and less meat lately. Not that I'm trying to become full on vegetarian or vegan, but for the health benefits. If someone wants to start a thread about the health benefits of these things specifically, I get that.

But that's not what this thread is, and I agree with VaultsofGrayskull about the whole moral crusade, virtue signaling, etc. That stuff just get ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    But that's not what this thread is, and I agree with VaultsofGrayskull about the whole moral crusade, virtue signaling, etc. That stuff just get ridiculous.
    I am feisty and a rebel and I have a bit of a problem with authority, so appeals of that nature never work on me - LOL!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I don't see what's so ridiculous about doing anything you can to make the world a better place. It's about being the best you can be to make this world better for everyone.
    Honestly while you are well intentioned, you aren't really doing that yourself. While your generally positive attitude is a good thing up to a point, it comes off as so over the top that it is rather off putting to some people (I would say a lot of people), and it even seems to blind to you basic logic and reality, as is the case with this very challenge.

How exactly is someone giving up meat for a week going to "make the world a better place?" Odds are anyone who regularly eats meat who would even agree to do this for a week would go back to eating meat the following week. If you consider people eating meat to be a huge problem, this is akin to putting a small band-aid on a huge, gaping flesh wound. This is at best a symbolic gesture that will have no real impact at all, and as a result loses almost all meaning.

Honestly while you are well intentioned, you aren't really doing that yourself. While your generally positive attitude is a good thing up to a point, it comes off as so over the top that it is rather off putting to some people (I would say a lot of people), and it even seems to blind to you basic logic and reality, as is the case with this very challenge.

How exactly is someone giving up meat for a week going to "make the world a better place?" Odds are anyone who regularly eats meat who would even agree to do this for a week would go back to eating meat the following week. If you consider people eating meat to be a huge problem, this is akin to putting a small band-aid on a huge, gaping flesh wound. This is at best a symbolic gesture that will have no real impact at all, and as a result loses almost all meaning.
    I'm not always positive all the time and my life is not perfect. I suffer from fibromyalgia and arthritis which makes life hard. I compensate for that by using everything I do in life to make life better for others, whether they are better off or worse off than I am. This goes for people and animals. Kindness and caring about others is not "virtue signalling", nor do I consider myself to be better than everyone else. I just do what I can to use the inspiration I glean from others to inspire others. It's called "paying it forward". I believe everything has an impact and a meaning. I am a dedicated vegetarian and once my mind is made up, it stays that way. Some people may find that being a vegetarian is to their liking and decide to stay a vegetarian. These things do happen.

There’s no harm in symbolic gestures. There may often be little to non”use” to them, but do what makes you happy, I say.

Unless it’s discussing Tar Swamp material in the wrong section of the forums. Then my Mod-Hat goes on.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I tried being vegetarian once years ago because I read that it's generally healthier to eat vegetables.

However I ended up being constantly hungry, feeling physically weaker, etc. It's possible that I didn't stick with the plan long enough and gave up too soon, but I ended up eating meat again.

The positive for me was that I did end up having a greater appreciation of eating more vegetables, and I tend to eat less meat these days (but I suppose just the "right" amount for me).

If you can eat veges only though, and not suffer the effects I've experienced, more power to you.

I could go vegetarian, but it gets expensive. It's cheaper to eat meat for lean protein. But I at least do not eat mammals (red meat). I'm not a big fan of chicken either. I do eat a lot of canned tuna, though. I also love sushi, so that's hard to give up for me.

Also, I grew up in Wisconsin and I love cheese so I can never go vegan. My perfect meal is pizza and beer.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of vegans pushing it in your face. I do know that animal agriculture is a major culprit of greenhouse gases so that is one reason why I avoid meat, but I do not push that on people or make them feel bad. It is my personal choice.

Now hunting does not create much greenhouse gases, so I would not feel bad about consuming game meat (deer, bear, etc.). I just don't like it.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

The more beef you eat the less cows there are farting and giving off greenhouse gas. I'm saving the world one burger at a time.

I enjoy different meats and vegetables and fruits and all, no need to be preached.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Master of New Adventures!
    I'm a former Chicago boy. Kim was born and raised in Nebraska. I think she sums up our mindset well when she says "I won't eat anything unless it had parents." But to each their own. Enjoy those rice cakes and kale cookies. Just joking.
    Hey Guys

Here's an awesome opportunity to try something new (for some people anyway) and go vegetarian/vegan for a week with beautiful and talented musician Belinda Carlisle, who is also the founder of the Animal People Alliance. https://twitter.com/AnimalPeopleA

Belinda APA.jpg

I'm already a vegetarian (which some of you probably didn't know), although I do eat dairy products, which I'll happily give up for a week with Belinda.

*NEXT WEEK! will you take the #VegWeek #VegPledge with me and take meat, dairy and eggs off your plate for just seven days? April 22-28! you'll get deals, discounts, recipes AND be entered to win some very cool prizes. #GoVegan with http://VegWeek.com*

By the way, I don't judge non-vegetarians, I just wanted to stress that. It's something I did a long time ago for personal reasons.

Cheers, Mikey
    - - - Updated - - -

How many 'true vegans', dedicated on moral principles, carry leather wallets in their pocket or wear leather shoes or belts? Show me someone who doesn't and I'll respect them.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    And yet the tone of the website you link to and her quote very much present vegetarianism and veganism as ethically superior positions. And you acknowledge that you are a diehard campaigner. I'm not even suggesting that this stance is a bad one - my issue is that it should be a private choice, not a very public mission for converts.

Well, morality is a fun topic that could be discussed at length, but I'd suggest most people's moral positions are generally quite subjective cognitive choices which are perpetuated by confirmation bias.

For example, anti-vaxxers genuinely believe they're taking a moral stance by not having their children immunised. They're fundamentally wrong, of course, and a better moral position would be to require compliance through legislation.

And to return to the topic in hand, and one of the points I wrote earlier, what is the moral position on euthanasing all of the millions of animals bred for food? Because that's what would happen en masse if the world stopped eating meat.

What's the moral position on devastating industries and livelihoods and pushing people into poverty? A stance is only principled if it can resolve all the related issues honestly and effectively.

As I said, I'm supportive of anyone who chooses to be veggie or vegan, but it should be a private matter, not a quest for adherents.
    - - - Updated - - -

Life without Beef Wellington or Coq Au Vin?! Quel dommage!

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I could go vegetarian, but it gets expensive. It's cheaper to eat meat for lean protein. But I at least do not eat mammals (red meat). I'm not a big fan of chicken either. I do eat a lot of canned tuna, though. I also love sushi, so that's hard to give up for me.

Also, I grew up in Wisconsin and I love cheese so I can never go vegan. My perfect meal is pizza and beer.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of vegans pushing it in your face. I do know that animal agriculture is a major culprit of greenhouse gases so that is one reason why I avoid meat, but I do not push that on people or make them feel bad. It is my personal choice.

Now hunting does not create much greenhouse gases, so I would not feel bad about consuming game meat (deer, bear, etc.). I just don't like it.

Imo, it's a natural question to ask of people who say they are vegans. I meant no offense by asking it. I tremendously respect you for that. You talk the talk and walk the walk. Bravo!

What percentage of people who say they are vegans would you guess are like you when it comes to this question? Is it something vegans talk about or is it under the radar?

EDIT: Interesting article on a complicated issue. The article may be correct that there is no one right answer:

https://www.shaherazad.com/blogs/new...y-wear-leather

For the record, I don't wear leather clothes or shoes or carry a leather wallet. I don't like wearing belts either. I have a synthetic canvas TMNT themed wallet. Although I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 21, 2019 at 12:27pm.

-
    In fact, next week I may even make it a point to eat more meat, dairy, and eggs than I normally do in a personal protest of how pointless this is.
    That’s what blogger Maddox used to say.

For every animal you don’t eat, I’m going to eat three.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Factory meat farms are horrible.
    Agreed. They’re so horrible in fact most people turn a blind eye and would rather live in ignorance. I could rant and rave about the root causes for this industry’s conditions in the Tar Swamp.

My family still eats meat, but we try to minimize the support of the industrial CAFO and its denatured, micronutrient-bereft food from extremely unhealthy animals. We keep our own chickens for eggs, buy grass-fed/pasture-raised milk and ground beef, and buy wild caught fish over farm raised.

That still leaves chicken and pork meat, but I’m confident we’ll see more progress on options/availability/price of these over time, albeit slow progress.

You didn't come off as being rude, Mikey. Quite the opposite, I'm sorry if I came off rude and I can see where you might feel offended by the question. But the reality is, I think, that some vegans are selective, whether for their own convenience or not being aware of the seeming contradiction in using leather products. I do know that not all vegans abstain from consuming meat purely on an ethical basis, but some because of health issues. In the latter case I would find it acceptable for them to use animals productions. I was trying to see if that was the case for you. Again, no offense meant.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude if that's how it came across. It's just that every time someone mentions they're a vegetarian, someone always brings up the issue of leather in a way that's meant to expose another's seeming hypocrisy, which I don't happen to possess as I've already shown. Usually it's an annoying dig at vegetarians that sounds unnecessarily sarcastic, which I don't care for.

Understood and respected, my friend.

Belinda Carlisle actually thanked me personally by name on Twitter for my efforts on her behalf yesterday, so I am definitely geeking out about that.

No that's cool!

Belinda Carlisle actually thanked me personally by name on Twitter for my efforts on her behalf yesterday, so I am definitely geeking out about that.