Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega Construx Castle Grayskull

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash Talon View Post
    Mega sets.always have extra.parts.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
    I hope so, but this many? I went back in the book for a general look and everything seems fine. I'd feel more comforted if someone else putting this together can let me know if they've got the same leftover pile. Also, I had one single piece missing. It was a standard green rectangle brick with three dots in a row. I just used the extra pieces to take its place, but unless I accidentally used it earlier, that was the one piece missing. Please let me know if anyone else had an issue! Other than that, this thing is really really cool from start to finish. No regrets. To me, worth every penny...bring on more.
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyjesus View Post
    I hope so, but this many? I went back in the book for a general look and everything seems fine. I'd feel more comforted if someone else putting this together can let me know if they've got the same leftover pile. Also, I had one single piece missing. It was a standard green rectangle brick with three dots in a row. I just used the extra pieces to take its place, but unless I accidentally used it earlier, that was the one piece missing. Please let me know if anyone else had an issue! Other than that, this thing is really really cool from start to finish. No regrets. To me, worth every penny...bring on more.
    I'm just starting section 4 and my leftover pile is growing. I don't think you've done anything wrong.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "This supersoaker is full of urine and RAGE!!! Mostly urine."

I'll be glad to get this, but this thing is hideous. I absolutely hate all the jagged edges just randomly crammed into every element. I know they're going for the natural stone aesthetic, but it's too much and too distracting. I plan on making some adjustments. But that "thatched" roof though. Sheesh. "Just make it look like it's made out of rusty saw blades, that'll look nice."

I'm skipping this, unless I ever find one massively discounted.

I threw my lot in with Snake Mountain.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Go to the parts list in the manual and get the number for your missing piece and email Mega Construx about it; I expect they'll send out what you need fairly quickly.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think you missed anything. The castle looks great. I just hope I'm as lucky as you and get that many extra pieces to "tweak" the build.

Finished it last night. Overall, I love the look and size of this thing. The numerous brick details are perfect for mimicking the rocky surface of an old castle, all of the play features are duplicated very well, and the build itself was fun and interesting. I will agree that the thatched roof bits don't look quite as good -- and they were pretty tedious to put together -- but that's really my only complaint.

The extra pieces! Wow, Lego sets only leave you with a few small bits left over as extras. This set has some pretty large bricks that never get used. Not that I am complaining, but it was a bit confusing.

Two questions for folks that have this: 1) The jawbridge: it just sorta wedges closed? I'm not missing anything, am I? The slightest wiggle will send the mouth gaping. 2) The computer inside: is it supposed to be slightly angled? Mine bumps into the right-hand wall and does not sit flush.

mega grayskull.jpg
    xtras.jpg
    KreanníOt NíNorosh is my copilot.

Quote Originally Posted by kernunrex View Post
    Finished it last night. Overall, I love the look and size of this thing. The numerous brick details are perfect for mimicking the rocky surface of an old castle, all of the play features are duplicated very well, and the build itself was fun and interesting. I will agree that the thatched roof bits don't look quite as good -- and they were pretty tedious to put together -- but that's really my only complaint.

The extra pieces! Wow, Lego sets only leave you with a few small bits left over as extras. This set has some pretty large bricks that never get used. Not that I am complaining, but it was a bit confusing.

Two questions for folks that have this: 1) The jawbridge: it just sorta wedges closed? I'm not missing anything, am I? The slightest wiggle will send the mouth gaping. 2) The computer inside: is it supposed to be slightly angled? Mine bumps into the right-hand wall and does not sit flush.

mega grayskull.jpg
    xtras.jpg
    My jawbridge also won't stay shut. It's a feature I'd expected to work a lot better than this does. I came out with about the same number of spare parts as well. I'll have to take a look at the computer but mine shut no problem.

Here's one possible explanation for the large number of surplus parts:
    • The box says it has 3508 pieces
    • The advertisements that came out earlier this year all said it would be over 3600

So, to ensure truth in advertising, each box (I guess) was given extra pieces. Nobody said the advertised 3600 total wouldn't include any extras.
    A critical cricket is a cricketal critic.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    Here's one possible explanation for the large number of surplus parts:
    • The box says it has 3508 pieces
    • The advertisements that came out earlier this year all said it would be over 3600

So, to ensure truth in advertising, each box (I guess) was given extra pieces. Nobody said the advertised 3600 total wouldn't include any extras.
    Logical theory. Nicely done.

I think this thing is going in to storage for a few years until my son is ready for this

Widget
    Anyone from Australia know the best place to buy this thing (without getting killed with shipping?)

I finished my Castle Grayskull build at around 2am this morning.

I'm going to do a full review, but here are a few thoughts:

+ Wow! This is a complex build. I've built well over a hundred Lego sets and this set rivals and surpasses even the modular buildings in terms of complexity.
    -- It does get very tedious at times, though. Lego often does a good job of finding way to break up tedious sections by varying the steps, changing building methods, and throwing in fun little extras.
    + The brick quality is great. Definitely far more comparable to Lego quality than any other similar brand I've ever built.
    - I didn't realize it until the end but the structure does have some flaws. It's very tough to open and close this set without some stuff falling apart. The top tower with the flagpole is also very weak!
    - I was missing two pieces, both small pieces that I was able to essentially replace from the giant pile of extras. Yes, I had those extras too. Some of the extras are really large pieces that seem like they should serve a purpose.
    + The minifigures are great with excellent paintwork. They're incredibly well done.
    + There is a lot of space inside the castle for play.
    -It does feel like there is a lot of dead space, however. Rather than straight up re-do the MOTUC Grayskull it would have been nice to see some new unique elements or maybe some elements borrowed from the Filmation CG and other sources.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Heroic Warrior
    My jawbridge doesn't stay shut either. I fiddled with the teeth a bit so when it is closed it pushed differently against the piece that opens it. But to keep it really closed I posted Skeletor like I did in the picture. The computer thing does go on an angle a bit but if you take the left and right side modules and move them as forward as possible instead of directly out to the sides, it us much better if not completely straightened.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    www.toyjesus.com

My jawbridge doesn't stay shut either. I fiddled with the teeth a bit so when it is closed it pushed differently against the piece that opens it. But to keep it really closed I posted Skeletor like I did in the picture. The computer thing does go on an angle a bit but if you take the left and right side modules and move them as forward as possible instead of directly out to the sides, it us much better if not completely straightened.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b8ab234935.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f02a83cf47.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...24c44b87d3.jpg

Love the clear pieces to display the Wind Raider! Where'd you get them?

Evil and eats everything Acolyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mossgreen View Post
    Love the clear pieces to display the Wind Raider! Where'd you get them?

I second that.

And one (hopefully not too stupid) question: Does the jawbridge open and close via Power Sword or is that just for show?

Thank you for the awesome pix, Toyjesus!
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
    And one (hopefully not too stupid) question: Does the jawbridge open and close via Power Sword or is that just for show?
    When you insert the Power Sword, it pushes on an angled piece that essentially pushes the bridge open. Unfortunately, it doesn't really latch onto anything when it closes, so you just have to get lucky to get it to stay up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    I think this thing is going in to storage for a few years until my son is ready for this
    Nice! My two daughters and I took turns building sections of it and it was fun for all.

Heroic Warrior
    I stole the clear pieces from my kids' Lego stash. I just added a hinged angle piece and a rotating base piece, too. Made it better.

www.toyjesus.com

So folks, what ages do you think this is suitable for for kids? I bought this for my son but he’s still only 4

I’m thinking it’ll make a nice gift for his birthday in 2021 which is around the time the movie comes out (his b-day is in May).

So folks, what ages do you think this is suitable for for kids? I bought this for my son but heís still only 4

Iím thinking itíll make a nice gift for his birthday in 2021 which is around the time the movie comes out (his b-day is in May).
    I moved my daughters from Duplo to normal Lego when they were 5, so I think your timing is gonna be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

All those pics so cool!, Thanks guys for sharing them, Still waiting mine from BBTS. But I'm not in a rush, I know it will take me a whole weekend to build this (with some Sam Adams in the worktable)
    CC: * Ice armor Heman & Fire Armor Skeletor Pack // *Sagitar // *Dragoon // *Lizorr // *Butthead // *Spinwit // *Staghorn // *Raj-jar // *Eye Beam // *Snake Mountain Man // *80's movie (Teela, Man-At-Arms, Beastman, Evil-Lyn, Troopers, and Sorceress)

CG: *Kobra Khan // *Ram-Man // *Zodac // *Whiplash // *Leech // *Multi-bot // *Webstor // *Chef Allen

So folks, what ages do you think this is suitable for for kids? I bought this for my son but heís still only 4

Iím thinking itíll make a nice gift for his birthday in 2021 which is around the time the movie comes out (his b-day is in May).
    There's no way a new 5 year old can do this alone.

Quote Originally Posted by mossgreen View Post
    There's no way a new 5 year old can do this alone.

6 year olds in China building iPhones...don't underestimate the power of kids.

Is this designed in a way that a person could buy two of them and double the size of the final build?