Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattel working on new He-Man TV series?

Mattel working on new He-Man TV series?

I wonder if MOTU will eventually be made into a live-action or animated television show?

Mattel Launching Slate of 22 Multi-Platform Television Shows (Exclusive)

The series will be a mix of animated and live-action, based on the toy company's storied brands and franchises.

Children’s entertainment company Mattel is continuing to focus on the “entertainment” side of its business, announcing it is developing a slate of 22 animated and live-action TV programs based on its storied brands and franchises.

The move comes in the wake of Mattel’s hiring of Adam Bonnett, a 21-year Disney Channel veteran behind Hannah Montana, Descendants, and Kim Possible as executive producer of Mattel Television. And it happens as the 2019 American International Toy Fair gets underway in New York beginning Friday.

The shows will be a mix of animated and live-action and made for multi-platform distribution.

Mattel did not provide specific titles or brands that are being developed but did say the shows will encompass a broad range of genres, including action-adventure, humor, game shows, music and others. They will be designed for a range of audiences, from toddlers and preschoolers to boys and girls to tweens, teens and families.

The company counts Barbie, Hot Wheels, Monster High and Masters of the Universe amongst its top toy brands.

Said Mattel chairman and CEO Ynon Kreiz: "With the proliferation of broadcasting and streaming platforms, there is a growing demand for high-quality content driven by global brands. Mattel is the owner of one of the strongest portfolios of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We have countless opportunities to bring these brands to their fans through episodic programming that will capture the imaginations of kids and families worldwide. This marks another important step to capture to the full value of our assets as we drive our transformation to become an IP-driven, high-performing toy company.”

Mattel has been making a renewed push into screened entertainment and last September hired Robbie Brenner to run Mattel Films. The division reinvigorated the Masters of the Universe movie project set up at Sony and set up long-in-development projects Hot Wheels and Barbie at Warner Bros. It is also working on an American Doll movie just set up at MGM.
    From Hollywood Reporter
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I could see it being a new animated show to coincide and build off or up to the release of the live action movie. I mean, I expected this would happen as they would be stupid not to since the film will likely generate even more renewed interest in the IP.

Mattel Working on new He-Man TV Series?

From Hollywood Reporter:

Children’s entertainment company Mattel is continuing to focus on the “entertainment” side of its business, announcing it is developing a slate of 22 animated and live-action TV programs based on its storied brands and franchises....

The division reinvigorated the Masters of the Universe movie project set up at Sony and set up long-in-development projects Hot Wheels and Barbie at Warner Bros. It is also working on an American Doll movie just set up at MGM.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

It just theorizes that might be one of the shows. There's no confirmation of a He-Man TV series.

But we all know they've always developing new concepts internally at Mattel. We saw that with the content at the end of the Art of MOTU book from Dark Horse a few years ago.

So, hopefully!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by DGSimo View Post
    I mean, I expected this would happen as they would be stupid not to since the film will likely generate even more renewed interest in the IP.
    * watches popular She-Ra show on Netflix *

* does not find She-Ra toys in retail stores yet for kids *
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post

We don't really have any retail toy stores anymore. At most it's an aisle or two in Target or Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    We don't really have any retail toy stores anymore. At most it's an aisle or two in Target or Walmart.
    It might not be what it used to be 20 years ago, but there are more toy isles than that. I think MOTU whenever it is launched again will get a much bigger push than She-Ra (although I suspect she'll get some toys in the coming months soon).

When I say "retail" I'm referring to online and brick & mortar.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    * watches popular She-Ra show on Netflix *

It took year/s/ for the new Voltron toys to appear on the shelves. Probably in the middle of the series. And now it's over and they never seemed to go very far.

Trollhunters toys seemed to come sooner but were peg warmers as well.

Heck, in my observation, the only toys that seem to be scare on shelves are the ones focused on adult collectors such as ourselves. The uber-awesome Transformers. The vintage packaging versions. The "brick" reproductions. This is most obvious to me with Transformers... the retro/vintage/new tooling of fan-favorites always seem limited/gone whereas the animated/goofy/cartoon tie-ins seem to warm the pegs.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Heroic Warrior
    There could be something He-man/She-Ra relatet.

At the Power-Con 2018 - Mattel’s Mastery of MOTU Panel Rob David said, that He-man will not show up in the new animated series (She-Ra and the Princesses of Power) but...

...He-man and She-ra could met in another format. Later he said, "another format then comics".

Maybee this statement could have something to do with the Mattel Films plan

Quote Originally Posted by king.of.grayskull View Post
    There could be something He-man/She-Ra relatet.

At the Power-Con 2018 - Mattel’s Mastery of MOTU Panel Rob David said, that He-man will not show up in the new animated series (She-Ra and the Princesses of Power) but...

...He-man and She-ra could met in another format. Later he said, "another format then comics".

Maybee this statement could have something to do with the Mattel Films plan
    This is very interesting. I wonder what Rob was referring

"Inside Mattel’s big-screen film strategy"

KS: How closely will you be working with the other Mattel teams like TV and consumer products?

RB: All of the different departments touch and influence each other, and I’ll be working very closely with all of them. Of course there is going to be synergy between TV and film to ensure we’re not cannibalizing each other. If there’s going to be a Masters of the Universe television show and we’re making a movie [the division has partnered with Sony Pictures for a silver-screen reboot of the property], we want to make sure they’re creatively aligned, or—if we’re doing something completely different—that one is not going to step on the other.
    Kidscreen

If the above link isn't working for you:

http://kidscreen.com/2019/02/28/insi...film-strategy/
    Last edited by Tallstar; February 28, 2019 at 05:23pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    "Inside Mattel’s big-screen film strategy"

Kidscreen

If the above link isn't working for you:

http://kidscreen.com/2019/02/28/insi...film-strategy/
    Very nice find. Also, very clever of her to use "if".

I just hope the quality of the animation will do MOTU justice. The Barbie stuff is absolutely horrendous, much like the Mickey Mouse stuff, it looks terrible in the sense that Beast Wars Transformers looks terrible to today’s standards.

Don’t get me wrong, I love animation (although I will always prefer drawn cartoons), but there is just such a difference in quality. They can not cheap out on this given the standards set by Filmation and 200x, setting the atmosphere of Eterniz is integral to the success. You can’t do that with cheap animation, needs to be high quality.

I would hope for a live-action TV show. Maybe as a road-show with only a few main cast members, one big vehicle that they ride, on a season-arc to find Grayskull.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I would hope for a live-action TV show. Maybe as a road-show with only a few main cast members, one big vehicle that they ride, on a season-arc to find Grayskull.
    Sounds... cheesy

Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    Sounds... cheesy
    Exactly! I love cheesey! In fact, it could be something similar to DC's Legends of Tomorrow which is VERY cheesy but also fun and tongue-in-cheek but still has some dramatic episodes.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I would love a gritty Gendy Tartakovsky He-man series !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That would be pretty bad-ass. And a representation of He-Man we have never had via animation.

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    I would love a gritty Gendy Tartakovsky He-man series !https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e5a7b1cb0b.jpg
    I can get behind this.
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Gendy Tartakovsky can do no wrong. His new series coming out looks amazing.

I would love a gritty Gendy Tartakovsky He-man series !https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e5a7b1cb0b.jpg
    Fantastic idea. I would be totally down for this, too!
    Odd Man Out

Question. The 80's saw cartoons evolve into a teaching tool, where violence was toned down and moral stories were pushed.

I think a lot of the Filmation cartoon really used those ideas to their advantage by having He-man use his brain more than his brawn. There was a lesson to learn each episode.

Given that there are various outlets for cartoons like Cartoon Network, Netflix, Amazon Prime...etc. that don't need to adhere to the tones publically broadcast cartoons do, and can push the level of tone and violence, what would you like to see done with a new Masters of the Universe series?

I saw that picture and immediately thought of Gendy Tartakovsky. Series like Samurai Jack and Clone Wars really took cartoons and made them an exciting medium for storytelling with a mature tone.

Would you want something along the lines of the Filmation cartoon, a moral story on an episode by episode basis. Or something mature and gritty, with a story ark that spans an entire season.

I would love something a little gritty and mature. I don't need a blood bath, death, brutality..... but something mature, story arks that span episodes, character development, action, consequences....

Question. The 80's saw cartoons evolve into a teaching tool, where violence was toned down and moral stories were pushed.

I think a lot of the Filmation cartoon really used those ideas to their advantage by having He-man use his brain more than his brawn. There was a lesson to learn each episode.

Given that there are various outlets for cartoons like Cartoon Network, Netflix, Amazon Prime...etc. that don't need to adhere to the tones publically broadcast cartoons do, and can push the level of tone and violence, what would you like to see done with a new Masters of the Universe series?

I saw that picture and immediately thought of Gendy Tartakovsky. Series like Samurai Jack and Clone Wars really took cartoons and made them an exciting medium for storytelling with a mature tone.

Would you want something along the lines of the Filmation cartoon, a moral story on an episode by episode basis. Or something mature and gritty, with a story ark that spans an entire season.

I would love something a little gritty and mature. I don't need a blood bath, death, brutality..... but something mature, story arks that span episodes, character development, action, consequences....
    I love that synopsis.

Me? I would love a series of short, action packed, straight-to-the-point episodes like those 'old' 5 minute Clone Wars episodes.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 19, 2019 at 09:56pm.
    Odd Man Out

I want more MYP 200x.