Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 331

Thread: 2019 Toyfair Reveals + News

  1. #276
    Heroic Warrior mjw41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,548
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

    Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.


    Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

    Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

  2. #277
    Pillar of the Community hadley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    8,694
    Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    Agree with this post above.

    Yes, the movie figures look great, but something was wrong about expectations management with the customers. We had a list of factors that made us think there would be more diversity in this offering:

    1) We were "spoiled" by that statement about us saying "ah ha" once the figures were revealed, like impying that we would be positively impressed with the line-up, so I was expecting some jaw-dropping line-up. Not that this one is not beautiful, but just 4 figures, 2 of which are repaints, and none of them a non-variant item is just not jaw-dropping as to justify more than one year without CC reveals. I do understand that this might have been a great legal effort to obtain that license, and I also know that these variants ranked high in polls, but what about some balance?

    2) Some days ago we were told this wave would be "epic". According to the reception I've perceived here, it is just fair, not epic. Personally I thought that "epic" would mean detailes figures (no Filmation aesthetics thrown into CC) + a balanced selection of characters + at least as many characters as CG Wave 4 + some oversized item. THAT would have been epic.
    1) Being a member of this community for (mumble mumble) years, I firmly believe that if the movie were split into waves, you’d have two very loud segments complaining that a) they have no interest in the movie figures and now they’re forced to buy them because they’re mixed with figures they want, and b) they want movie figures but being spread out there’s danger that they won’t all make it out before the end of the line / heat death of the universe / the tree on which SLOTS grow withers. I think it makes sense to sell them as a collection so the people who want them can get them all now, and those who don’t want them can skip them without starting a giant thread about how Artilla should have been included instead.

    2) This is epic to a lot of people. Sorry you don’t agree, but it doesn’t make it untrue that tons of people are stoked for these figures.

  3. #278
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by poweredconvoy View Post
    I wonder if they will re-release Saurod, Gwildor, and Blade to go along with the other, movie figures.
    You mean reissue? Why though? They’re all fairly attainable aren’t they? I would love to see a repaint of Gwildor with a vintage-style toy head though.

  4. #279
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,372
    Quote Originally Posted by poweredconvoy View Post
    I wonder if they will re-release Saurod, Gwildor, and Blade to go along with the other, movie figures.
    If they do another entire movie wave, it would not shock me to see one reissue with a couple minor changes among them.

  5. #280
    Lord of the Patch baronterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    6,216
    This looks pretty solid compared to the source material: however it is not "my" Conan. Either Frazetta or Arnold for me. I'd get this just to have a cool new figure for MOTUC.

  6. #281
    Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    1) Being a member of this community for (mumble mumble) years, I firmly believe that if the movie were split into waves, you’d have two very loud segments complaining that a) they have no interest in the movie figures and now they’re forced to buy them because they’re mixed with figures they want, and b) they want movie figures but being spread out there’s danger that they won’t all make it out before the end of the line / heat death of the universe / the tree on which SLOTS grow withers. I think it makes sense to sell them as a collection so the people who want them can get them all now, and those who don’t want them can skip them without starting a giant thread about how Artilla should have been included instead.

    2) This is epic to a lot of people. Sorry you don’t agree, but it doesn’t make it untrue that tons of people are stoked for these figures.
    1) In the past we learned to go along with line-ups composed of figures from different factions spread along several years. That's not new, this fandom has been always devided by preferences for different factions/sources of the property, and the solution of a balance in the mix of characters worked well to keep everyone satisfied, to some extend. But at the end, everyone is free to speculate on what the best approach is for the release of characters belonging to a single source on MOTU: all at once or balanced.

    2) I'm not denying some people are fascinated by the figures revealed. I was careful enough in my post to not make criticisms on the figures themselves, I sad they look great and said that they're beautiful. I didn't say they don't have a rightful place in the line and I acknowledged the demand from them as reflected in the poll results. However, IMO, the "epic" adjective for this wave is an hyperbole. Look at the dictionary for the word epic, seems like the meaning relevant for this context is "OF GRAND SCALE" (that's my understandin too). Personally I don't see the grand scale here, but once again different opinions can co-exists and we can agree to disagree in good terms. Hmmm, maybe for 87' movie fans this is epic, if you're one of them I'm truly sorry my post might have disregarded the good news that this wave is for you guys, apologies in that case. I have the other movie figures and I have them in high esteem because of details, but that's about it...
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

  7. #282
    Lord of the Patch baronterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    no need to replace him he is different he has the Movie hook and movie colors. the other was comic colors and a different hook
    didnt notice the hook. Awesome. That actually stokes me up a bit. In a good way.

    Also to anyone disapointed about another Karg, he was easily the number one wanted figure we "just knew we'd never get" so to have both versions is actually really cool.

    I understand why a new character is preferable in alot of ways, but actually movie figures and never the "real" (to most people" karg? Well I take it as a good idea by Super 7

    Clearly a cost saving measure BUT it is a good idea as well.

    I'd still take a Songster over...well basically everything we've gotten for a few years now, but that doesnt mean most of what has come out is not at least somewhat desirable to me as well.

  8. #283
    Heroic Warrior MJOLNIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,151
    That's fantastic. You look great in there!

  9. #284
    Lord of the Patch baronterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy-Klone View Post
    The movie figures look great! As do the vintage figures!

    And I was one of about a dozen kids who loved the original Toxic Crusaders action figures, and that Toxie knocks my socks off.
    I only got the toxie from that toyline about 7 years ago. I had always wanted it, but the one time I had one in my hands, I decided on something else and missed it...until adulthood n Ebay.

    I have him with my vintage turtles, and I think I may have to get this too...if only someday.

  10. #285
    Heroic Warrior MJOLNIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    As far as Karg, I understand some people being bummed he's just a repaint. But Super7 dropped a lot of cash on the tooling for the last Karg. And I know first-hand Super7 isn't exactly swimming in a pile of loot from the sale of these figures. Tooling and production is expensive, and they have to pay royalties on top of that. So having a William Stout inspired color scheme to flesh out a movie line makes sense to me from a business POV.
    I would have loved to have had Evil-Lyn instead of Karg! But, this is also a business. So I completely understand why Super7 has to take a bite out all that unique tooling on the three other movie figures, and this Karg repaint was a great way to do it IMO.

    As far as the other figures go, these versions of He-Man and Skeletor have ranked high on the fan polls for a long time now.
    Plus I feel their designs are so unique that they really stand out as a cool addition to the MOTUC line.


    We're at a point where we're SO far into the roster that, no matter who is chosen, there's going to be people for and against. There simply are not any characters left for the 7" scale that have an overwhelming majority of fans who favor them. So I feel it makes sense for Super7 to go with some of the highest ranked figures, that fit a theme, that are no doubt part of a deal with Stout that probably only Super7 could have made (as it's no secret Stout isn't fond of Mattel), while using a cool repaint to keep the costs in check.

    But that's just my two cents. I still completely understand why some people are not on board with this wave.
    I think collectors would be better off looking at the toys themselves rather than the media that the figures are based on. I'm by no means a fan of that film but those are some great looking toys. I'll happily buy them.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; February 18, 2019 at 07:37pm.

  11. #286
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,998
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    I think collectors would be better off looking at the toys themselves rather than the media that the figures are based on. I'm by no means a fan of that film but those are some great looking toys. I'll happily buy them.
    Totally agree. I absolutely hate the 87 movie, and was angered by it as a kid. But these figures are amazing. I was staring at them in the case just blown away by the detail in He-Man's armor, Skeletor's costume and detailed face. They're incredible.

    While I also get the repaint hate, it's part of what's necessary to make it all make sense financially. And fans of the movie are going to want the correct colors on Karg. Heck, as a critic of the movie I want my set accurate. I also think Karg is one of the best figures of the Super 7 era and don't mind another version. To me, MOTU Classics/Collector's Choice is all about celebrating all the different versions of these characters.

  12. #287
    Heroic Warrior bigsexy_j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    980
    And lost the DC license. You’d think royalty free properties would be a focus now.

  13. #288
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hellbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    And lost the DC license. You’d think royalty free properties would be a focus now.
    We're talking about Mattel, here! Since when is logic a factor?
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

  14. #289
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    5,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    I'm not diggin' the head sculpt though as his head doesn't fit the proportions of body. If you reference the comic sitting right behind it the actual sculpt doesn't look that off, but the problem is that they're using the MOTU buck which is way too buff and wide so that then makes it not fit the narrow looking head/face. There's also a case of which seems to be elongated neck syndrome or something going on there as well.

    Heck...now that I look at the pic. again, the neck seems to stand out more then the head, but the face looks a little out of proportion still.

    If they're going to use the MOTU buck in which they're obviously doing for a variety of good reasons they need to fix that head/neck. If anyone agrees with this sentiment please pass this on to S7 before another one goes out the door as I'm too lazy.
    Yeah, I agree that this is a strange choice for Conan. Of all the different iterations out there, they chose the slimmest version? Why not bring the Conan the Adventurer line back to life and give us new versions of those characters? This line is practically made for it!

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    The Barry Windsor-Smith First appearance Conan looks almost nothing like other iterations of Conan. You are right, the MOTUC buck does not fit that iteration. They would have to cheat even more than they have and widen the face even more, and at that point it isn't even really that specific version anymore.
    Yep, they should have used the John Buscema design as their inspiration...


    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    As far as not getting what you expect/see from prototypes from Super-7, you most likely never will. Along with QC, how in the HELL will it ever get any better? As far as we can tell, Brian and CO hasn't been able to keep it together on any of these waves so far, and I don't know if you guys saw, but they have even MORE product SKU's and licenses than are shown in Dan's video. Between having to nail down all of the legal stuff for rights usage, marketing, trying to get QC covered for HUNDREDS of items, how will this all work when it comes to final product, or for that matter customer service? I wish they would just at least get to a solid level with product quality BEFORE they started increasing their product output.
    I agree with all of this.

    They need some major quality improvement if they are going to start delving into this many products.

    I don't want Super 7 to swoop in and grab a license that I really care about only to pump out a crappy figure or two when another company could have handled it 10X better...

    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    We've already had issues when their product offerings were minimal, now you gotta wonder if having too many hands in the cookie jar will only make things worse. How much time, effort and desire will there even be to address the concerns as they spread themselves all over the place.
    Sadly, I see Super 7 as more of a Jazwares type company than a Neca type...

    They seem to charge a premium price, but cut corners to save costs. I hope that this model changes in the future... especially if they are going to be offering so many new products.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Prince Adam is best at asking that, I believe.
    HaHa!

    I got your back!



    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

  15. #290
    Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    433
    I don’t think we’re at that point where there are no characters that can please the majority of the fandom. Let me mention just few examples: Lady Slither and Hunga the harpy have been demanded for years. The characters designed by Axel Giménez have received only positive feedback in these forums. Also the concepts from Mark Taylor have a positive appreciation, and of course all of those unique characters from Filmation that we would like to see in Classics, like Melaktha. Also the comics have their share of praised characters like the Mask of Power demons. So, we have not run out of popular and demanded characters. This pool of options just need to be managed with some care for customers, like balancing the offerings within the waves and throughout the year. IMO, what erodes the customer satisfaction is focusing on just one source or style for so long instead of balancing the factions, sources and styles of the products offered, as well as changing the aesthetics of the line because of simplified design that would fit better in the CG line. Also, let’s not forget that there’s demand for variants but also for unique never produced characters. It’s just a matter of balance.
    Last edited by man-at-work; February 19, 2019 at 09:16am.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

  16. #291
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,737
    Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    IMO, the "epic" adjective for this wave is an hyperbole.
    I'm in agreement with that. But then I'm an Englishman of characteristic understatement who gets annoyed when people use 'awesome' when 'good' is perfectly sufficient.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  17. #292
    Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,343
    Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    I don’t think we’re at that point where there are no characters that can please the majority of the fandom. Let me mention just few examples: Lady Slither and Hunga the harpy have been demanded for years. The characters designed by Axel Giménez have received only positive feedback in these forums. Also the concepts from Mark Taylor have a positive appreciation, and of course all of those unique characters from Filmation that we would like to see in Classics, like Melaktha. Also the comics have their share of praised characters like the Mask of Power demons. So, we have not run out of popular and demanded characters. This pool of options just need to be managed with some care for customers, like balancing the offerings within the waves and throughout the year. IMO, what erodes the customer satisfaction is focusing on just one source or style for so long instead of balancing the factions, sources and styles of the products offered, as well as changing the aesthetics of the line because of simplified design that would fit better in the CG line. Also, let’s not forget that there’s demand for variants but also for unique never produced characters. It’s just a matter of balance.
    I agree, more people are happy when they at least get one thing they want. I think the first two waves of CC were spot on. I am not too bent out of shape on this wave though, because maybe they have a limited time to use the license, or whatever. I think most can agree the figures look good and that they were wanted by a fair number of fans, event if we're not included in that group. For the future I would hope that if S7 were doing some repaints or variants that we could at least see 6 figs in a wave, just to give us one or two unique characters. I will buy this wave. I am not quitting the line over this. I am just hoping Brian will work to make the CC line a little more inclusive.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

  18. #293
    Heroic Warrior MOTUmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I'm in agreement with that. But then I'm an Englishman of characteristic understatement who gets annoyed when people use 'awesome' when 'good' is perfectly sufficient.
    I agree. "Awesome," as well as, "Amazing" are frequently overused, and it's very annoying. That being said, these figures are the highlight of Toy Fair for me.

  19. #294
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    1,160
    Words over time,change in meaning and frequency. That said the movie figures unveiled by super7,in my opinion,are nothing short of........awesome.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  20. #295
    Totally Dyslexic
    Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Words over time,change in meaning and frequency. That said the movie figures unveiled by super7,in my opinion,are nothing short of........awesome.
    I think there are certain "awesome" aspects like Skeletors head(s). The amount of details on the too new sculpted figures. But two new sculpted figures and two color variants don´t justify the word awesome if you ask me.

    We were told once the costumers see this wave, they will understand why it was delayed.

    I don´t see a real justification. This wave is a great praise for the movie but it´s basically He-Man and Skeletor and the rest is just reused.

    Why didn´t they make a regular wave with never before made characters and than used this figures as power con exclusives with Movie He-Man and God-Skeleton followed by a SDCC exclusive with regular Movie Skeletor and Movie Karg.

    Like so everyone would have gotten something but now the Collectors Choice fans have to wait again for another round of reveals which feels anything but "awesome" if you ask me.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  21. #296
    Heroic Master of Typos davidlogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    5,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post

    Collectors Choice fans have to wait again for another round of reveals which feels anything but "awesome" if you ask me.
    Totally agree. We had to wait what felt like forever for a Classics reveal, and then we get four variant figures. Granted, those figures are cool and all, but they should have made it a 6 figure wave like CG and actually given us two new characters. Like this movie wave PLUS the Masks of Power demons or something.

    Classics fans are still getting the short end of the stick. First Kittrina is moved from Classics into Club Grayskull and now we get an entire wave of only variants and another 'who knows how long' of a wait before the next Classic reveals. The only saving grace are the Power Con figures. I'd take them over a wave of 4 variants any day.
    "..."

  22. #297
    Heroic Warrior chaosMonkeyPoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    This looks pretty solid compared to the source material: however it is not "my" Conan. Either Frazetta or Arnold for me. I'd get this just to have a cool new figure for MOTUC.
    You know, a Schwarzenegger Conan in the MOTUC style would be really rad. If only to kind of reference the the old rumor that Masters of the Universe was spun out of a failed attempt by Mattel to start a Conan toyline based on the Arnold film. Having a figure of Arnie Conan standing next to He-Man done in the same sculpting style would be a really awesome thing to display, to me anyway.

  23. #298
    Heroic Warrior mjw41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,548
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Totally agree. We had to wait what felt like forever for a Classics reveal, and then we get four variant figures. Granted, those figures are cool and all, but they should have made it a 6 figure wave like CG and actually given us two new characters. Like this movie wave PLUS the Masks of Power demons or something.

    Classics fans are still getting the short end of the stick. First Kittrina is moved from Classics into Club Grayskull and now we get an entire wave of only variants and another 'who knows how long' of a wait before the next Classic reveals. The only saving grace are the Power Con figures. I'd take them over a wave of 4 variants any day.
    in all fairness Club Grayskull wave 3 was only 4 figures it wasn't 6 figures until Club Grayskull wave 4

    Who's to say that Collectors Choice wave 4 won't have a 6 figure offering?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by chaosMonkeyPoo View Post
    You know, a Schwarzenegger Conan in the MOTUC style would be really rad. If only to kind of reference the the old rumor that Masters of the Universe was spun out of a failed attempt by Mattel to start a Conan toyline based on the Arnold film. Having a figure of Arnie Conan standing next to He-Man done in the same sculpting style would be a really awesome thing to display, to me anyway.
    That would be a movie Lic Super7 would need to obtain to get a Schwarzenegger Conan likeness. Not that they couldn't do it but i'm sure licenses to make toys are not cheap when owned by another company.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

    Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.


    Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

    Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

  24. #299
    Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    in all fairness Club Grayskull wave 3 was only 4 figures it wasn't 6 figures until Club Grayskull wave 4

    Who's to say that Collectors Choice wave 4 won't have a 6 figure offering?
    Do you know if something else for CC (I’m referring to figures, not playsets) is planned for this year? We thought NA anniversary would be nodded.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

  25. #300
    Heroic Warrior Riddle of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,720
    The Schwarzenegger Conan license must be a hard license to get in general as you never really see much of it out there in ANY action figure format from ANY company. Who was the last company to put something out, Mcfarlane like 10 years ago?

    With all of the crap out there these days from multiple companies there's gotta be some licensing issue behind it. For even something like Reaction not to have made them by now who makes everything retro thing under the sun, it throws up red flags.

    Not to mention, I'm CONVINCED that Hot Toys or Neca would of made them by now as well as people would kill for something like that. That's right up Hot Toy's/Neca's ally. That's the only Schwarzenegger action type cult following piece that I can think of that they've never made and both of those companies make Schwarzenegger everything it seems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •