Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: After the William Stout Collection...what´s next?

Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    If that brings a Classiczed Sagitar to the line, YES, I am all in!
    I’d be all for that get is thru the 1 to 2 years of “ hiatus” get back into it and Mattel doesn’t have to worry about selling the “ unwanted” series that exist in the mythos. Let make it happen, until then though, I will still brainstorm on how to use existing parts to create customs of these figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinobot View Post
    So, I had a weird thought that probably wouldn't work but might be worth discussing.

In the past, we've heard that MOTU and POP are separate licenses, to say nothing of Filmation. Obviously Mattel is doing something with the MOTU license, and POP seems to be tied up with the Dreamworks show and other things. But would it be possible for NA to be a separate license as well? It is probably tied up with the MOTU license, but would it be possible for, say, Super 7 to keep making NA figures on a separate license while Mattel pushes the Origins line? I doubt Mattel would use NA for much in the new media. Super 7 could alter the packaging and call it the Ultimate New Adventures of He-Man line to go alongside Ultimate Thundercats and Ultimate TMNT and such.

It's most likely not possible and I know MIB collectors would be annoyed at the change in packaging, added to the fact that NA isn't super popular. But I have to admit, it'd be a barrel of laughs if NA figures were the only MOTUC figures available after being sidelined for so long!

Thoughts?
    I like this idea!
    Follow me and my creations on Facebook:
    search Orsogranito GraniteBear !

So, I had a weird thought that probably wouldn't work but might be worth discussing.

In the past, we've heard that MOTU and POP are separate licenses, to say nothing of Filmation. Obviously Mattel is doing something with the MOTU license, and POP seems to be tied up with the Dreamworks show and other things. But would it be possible for NA to be a separate license as well? It is probably tied up with the MOTU license, but would it be possible for, say, Super 7 to keep making NA figures on a separate license while Mattel pushes the Origins line? I doubt Mattel would use NA for much in the new media. Super 7 could alter the packaging and call it the Ultimate New Adventures of He-Man line to go alongside Ultimate Thundercats and Ultimate TMNT and such.

It's most likely not possible and I know MIB collectors would be annoyed at the change in packaging, added to the fact that NA isn't super popular. But I have to admit, it'd be a barrel of laughs if NA figures were the only MOTUC figures available after being sidelined for so long!

Thoughts?
    My thoughts are I wonder why they don't do this...they could do, like, one figure at a time, or like the slowest release possible to test the waters every step of the way.

A possible problem, to me, is maybe there's a 2020 NA licensing issue we don't know about that would make this difficult...although it hasn't seemed like a problem before now.

Also, I'm a loose collector...I wonder how much different packaging would really limit sales with collectors, making MOTUC NA that much more of a niche.
    This is a link for "Player Dez's Strange Toy-Ventures" a toy show I help with: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMs...seKp1vZ-Py5C9Q
    GOOD JOURNEY, ORGERS!

So here's a thought:

Mattel is obviously set to push MOTU with so many projects in the pipe. What if they put out Origins to market to capitalize on the (hopeful) wave of nostalgia that would come from the new Netflix shows and the movie - whether it appears in theaters or on Netflix (and Netflix may be the way to go these days) - then after the initial wave bring back Classics to wide release, i.e. re-release older Classics figures to retail in collectors sections like Target has. Thoughts?
    Classics would never go at retail, way to low interest...they barely get 3000 sets made of the last few waves. Even if they "Started over" from He Man and Skeletor a Classics "re-release" would not sell either. The real fanbase that buys has them.

Heroic Warrior

After the William Stout Collection...what´s next?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahthatsme1973 View Post
    1. Snake Mountain will cap off Classics for 2020
    2. Maybe some easy repaints/mash-ups for Power Con in 2021
    3. Origins A-list figures will sell well like every iteration does and then
    4. the Netflix cartoon will come out and do so-so (fans will love it) and Origins will get a bump for B and C list characters.
    5. The movie will come out on Netflix instead of the theaters and do so-so but there won’t be a separate toy line to go along with it.
    6. Origins will be done by 2022
    7. Mega Construx will continue to chug along.
    First 1/3 of #5

Heroic Warrior Science Friction's Avatar
    Classics was amazing. I think with everything happening in MOTU right now, the line could have continued. It could have been like Marvel Legends. Movie, cartoons, comics, video games, etc all feeding into Classics. Idk, maybe that just isn't feasible for Mattel/MOTU. I'm still bitter over the fact that 200X was largely ignored once Super7 took over- He-Man, Teela, Beast Man, Battle Armor Randor.. etc. There was a lot of potential for major characters to be pushed out again with their 200X variants. I feel like that could have been a nice direction after the William Stout Collection. Along with "William Stout" Beast Man, Sorceress, Evil-Lyn, etc figures.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Classics was amazing. I think with everything happening in MOTU right now, the line could have continued. It could have been like Marvel Legends. Movie, cartoons, comics, video games, etc all feeding into Classics. Idk, maybe that just isn't feasible for Mattel/MOTU. I'm still bitter over the fact that 200X was largely ignored once Super7 took over- He-Man, Teela, Beast Man, Battle Armor Randor.. etc. There was a lot of potential for major characters to be pushed out again with their 200X variants. I feel like that could have been a nice direction after the William Stout Collection. Along with "William Stout" Beast Man, Sorceress, Evil-Lyn, etc figures.
    Totally agree! I always thought it was a missed opportunity to NOT release the 200X A-list variants as a kinda soft reboot of the line. Get all those heavy hitters out again with updated looks.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    Classics would never go at retail, way to low interest...they barely get 3000 sets made of the last few waves. Even if they "Started over" from He Man and Skeletor a Classics "re-release" would not sell either. The real fanbase that buys has them.
    Here's the thing though…aside from the cross sells in magazines and comics the first couple of years, Classics had ZERO advertising. For a toy line to last as many years as it has, AND has managed two large play sets with practically no advertising is outstanding. Going back to when 200X was in the stores…I'd show friends the then new toys and their reactions were ALWAYS…"Wow when did He-Man come back?" The same for Classics and Club Grayskull. Imagine had Mattel actually budgeted advertising dollars for the line? Mattel has, since 200X, ALWAYS relied on word-of-mouth advertising. And then when it flops because of their poor handling of the property their reaction is always He-Man just isn't popular anymore. They're GOING to make the same mistake with Origins. They will rely on the cartoons and movie on Netflix as their advertising and it won't work. Origins might make it till 2023 at best and then fade out because Mattel won't tell anyone about the line. If for some strange reason they DO do a commercial or two it'll be attached to the cartoons and movie on Netflix somehow. It just doesn't matter if Classics were at retail or not…if a company doesn't bother to tell anyone about their product who other than the core fans will look for it? No one.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Here's the thing though…aside from the cross sells in magazines and comics the first couple of years, Classics had ZERO advertising. For a toy line to last as many years as it has, AND has managed two large play sets with practically no advertising is outstanding. Going back to when 200X was in the stores…I'd show friends the then new toys and their reactions were ALWAYS…"Wow when did He-Man come back?" The same for Classics and Club Grayskull. Imagine had Mattel actually budgeted advertising dollars for the line? Mattel has, since 200X, ALWAYS relied on word-of-mouth advertising. And then when it flops because of their poor handling of the property their reaction is always He-Man just isn't popular anymore. They're GOING to make the same mistake with Origins. They will rely on the cartoons and movie on Netflix as their advertising and it won't work. Origins might make it till 2023 at best and then fade out because Mattel won't tell anyone about the line. If for some strange reason they DO do a commercial or two it'll be attached to the cartoons and movie on Netflix somehow. It just doesn't matter if Classics were at retail or not…if a company doesn't bother to tell anyone about their product who other than the core fans will look for it? No one.
    Extremely well said! Also, sad but true!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    You won't see collections named like you suggested. The reason this is called the William Stout collection is because they did a deal with Stout to make the movie figures happen. It's also why some of the colors and details lean towards Stout's designs and are not directly from the movie itself.

The movie figures also ranked near the top of the polls for a couple of years. It made sense to do them next as a wave, while Super7 had the opportunity to work a deal with Stout.

So what is next? Tough to say. The future of Classics is going to be an interesting one moving forward!
    Sadly. While I'd love to see a couple 4 figure waves a year, realistically I'd be excited with just con exclusives. I doubt we'll get either.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said. But the big difference is Origins will have a big retail presence (allegedly) while Classics had none. That says a lot for the dedication of Classic's fans.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; February 9, 2020 at 10:22pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Sadly. While I'd love to see a couple 4 figure waves a year, realistically I'd be excited with just con exclusives. I doubt we'll get either.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said. But the big difference is Origins will have a big retail presence (allegedly) while Classics had none.
    It's sad that Classics never got that chance (MOTUC VS DC 2-packs, notwithstanding).

Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    It's sad that Classics never got that chance (MOTUC VS DC 2-packs, notwithstanding).
    Yeah felt the Vs DC packs weren't worth mentioning.

Heroic Warrior
    Well said. But the big difference is Origins will have a big retail presence (allegedly) while Classics had none. That says a lot for the dedication of Classic's fans.
    Agreed. We carried Classics THIS FAR and it wasn't even a retail line. 200X had a large retail presence and had a cartoon promoting it and it still failed. Who knows? Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I have a feeling history will repeat itself with Origins. Personally, as far as Origins goes I have no desire to collect everything. I'm going to be VERY selective…don't see myself buying more than 10-15 figures.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Agreed. We carried Classics THIS FAR and it wasn't even a retail line. 200X had a large retail presence and had a cartoon promoting it and it still failed. Who knows? Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I have a feeling history will repeat itself with Origins. Personally, as far as Origins goes I have no desire to collect everything. I'm going to be VERY selective…don't see myself buying more than 10-15 figures.
    Seconded. I wish the Origins line all the best. If I had children it might be a good line to start them on. Hopefully kids will see these on shelves/pegs and we’ll have a repeat of 1982. But alas these are not for me. I give the Origins a thumbs up for vintage packaging but as an adult collector line the toys seem like a step back from the Classics line. I wouldn’t mind using this line to fill in gaps should we get any little vintage play sets of vehicles missing from the Classics line but I doubt the scale would work.

Heroic Warrior
    Seconded. I wish the Origins line all the best. If I had children it might be a good line to start them on. Hopefully kids will see these on shelves/pegs and we’ll have a repeat of 1982. But alas these are not for me. I give the Origins a thumbs up for vintage packaging but as an adult collector line the toys seem like a step back from the Classics line. I wouldn’t mind using this line to fill in gaps should we get any little vintage play sets of vehicles missing from the Classics line but I doubt the scale would work.
    According to the rumours they're using Classics Wind Raider and Castle Grayskull, so I'm kinda hoping that when they get around to vehicles like Attak Trak, it'll be size appropriate for Classics figures.

I know it has a slim chance of happening, but fingers crossed.....

Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    According to the rumours they're using Classics Wind Raider and Castle Grayskull, so I'm kinda hoping that when they get around to vehicles like Attak Trak, it'll be size appropriate for Classics figures.

I know it has a slim chance of happening, but fingers crossed.....
    i wish they leave those Classics vehicle and playset alone... the line is too muddled with wwe and origins assumingly swapable parts and classics being included will futher that. Me, having to give up two sealed wind raider last year to acquire some matty CG, will be very happy to get a retail priced wind raider to replace my classics ones but origins needs its own proper vehicle and playset. Let Mattel prove to us this is their main MOTU line now and invest some money on it and not recycle parts and molds early in the game.
    Commit to it Mattel.. bring something new to Origins to attract Classics fans too.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; February 11, 2020 at 08:31am.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I like that they updated the vehicles for classics, and gave us the ultra detailed versions we saw in Rudy Obrero's art, but I think if they re-imagined the vehicles for Origins, they should scale them appropriately and give the original toys the same treatment with details and upgrades, and not just reuse the Classics versions.

The MOTUC vehicles, in my opinion, seemed a little teeny bit oversized for even the Classics figures. To me, if they tried to reuse the classics vehicles for the origins figures, they would seem ridiculously oversized.

Also, considering they're trying to reduce the price point on the figures at retail, the vehicles, if priced at the same price they were offered on line for Classics, would be disproportionately overpriced for Origins.

As far Castle Greyskull, I'd LOVE to see the original prototype version made instead of just reusing the Classics version. The prototype with all the original versions of the accessories, with the play mat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mattel since you can't do these, let Super7 make a William Stout wave two set
    So Glad Super7 has the Thundercats Lic. Looking forward to all they have to offer.

Was waiting for someone to post this.

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    i wish they leave those Classics vehicle and playset alone... the line is too muddled with wwe and origins assumingly swapable parts and classics being included will futher that. Me, having to give up two sealed wind raider last year to acquire some matty CG, will be very happy to get a retail priced wind raider to replace my classics ones but origins needs its own proper vehicle and playset. Let Mattel prove to us this is their main MOTU line now and invest some money on it and not recycle parts and molds early in the game.
    Commit to it Mattel.. bring something new to Origins to attract Classics fans too.

I think it's perfect. Besides, MOTU started with heavy re-use of previous toys in the 80s.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I think it's perfect. Besides, MOTU started with heavy re-use of previous toys in the 80s.
    Eventually they should/would. But not early in the line.. Mattel, invest on it, so we can feel your commitment to MOTU once again.. I want to see new stuff for Origins first, then reuse those.

By the power of Grayskull!!!!