Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After the William Stout Collection...what┤s next?

Totally Dyslexic

After the William Stout Collection...what┤s next?

The new William Stout Collection from SUPER7 looks amazing, no doubt about that.

But as a POP fan i felt a little let down but than it hit me. This new way of waves could be pleasing in disguise.

POP fans have been waiting desperately for years now to get proper vintage variants. But overtime in the polls this designs are shown with pictures of the dolls and yes, the vintage figures look more like dolls than anything and the "boys" from than who are now grown up men are still rejecting them and would rather vote for anything else than give their vote to a cute doll.

So here are a few pictures showing the designs and their potential in a different more action toy accurate way:

SUPER7 could start making variants waves similar to the newly released William Stout Collection and they could call a POP vintage variant line Varney-Hamlin Collection in honor to the marketing director who is responsible for the POP line.

This would be a great way to release another version of She-Ra and we would finally get a Catra variant.

But this kind of variant waves could open so much more if you ask me.

A NA line maybe called Jack Olesker Collection with Battle Punch He-man (who resembles the cartoon He-man the most), Disc of Doom Skeletor, Toga Mara and Queen Crita for example.

What do you guys think?
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

You won't see collections named like you suggested. The reason this is called the William Stout collection is because they did a deal with Stout to make the movie figures happen. It's also why some of the colors and details lean towards Stout's designs and are not directly from the movie itself.

The movie figures also ranked near the top of the polls for a couple of years. It made sense to do them next as a wave, while Super7 had the opportunity to work a deal with Stout.

So what is next? Tough to say. The future of Classics is going to be an interesting one moving forward!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I'll guess in the next wave we get 1 or 2 movie figures and the rest will be top 20 poll figures that are left. Does getting the design rights through Stout also give them rights to use the actors' likenesses or does Super 7 have to still negotiate with each actor individually? I don't see Super7 paying for too many actors' likenesses for a small collector line if the latter is the case. If they make the faces generic enough, I guess they might be able to get by it. Of course, they don't have to worry about that with some characters like the Skeletor Trooper or Air Centurions.

We will never get a completely NA or variant POP wave as they would not sell enough. Hopefully, NA fans get at least a couple more figures before the line ends. Lizzor has a Snake Man type vibe to him that I think would make him the most popular of the characters left.

Totally Dyslexic
    I see.

But i liked the name. Giving waves names is fun if you ask me. And if you offer themed waves like that naming them sounded logical to me

Mr Stout seems to be a smart man, this designs are his idea so it┤s only logical and deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'll guess in the next wave we get 1 or 2 movie figures and the rest will be top 20 poll figures that are left. Does getting the design rights through Stout also give them rights to use the actors' likenesses or does Super 7 have to still negotiate with each actor individually? I don't see Super7 paying for too many actors' likenesses for a small collector line if the latter is the case. If they make the faces generic enough, I guess they might be able to get by it. Of course, they don't have to worry about that with some characters like the Skeletor Trooper or Air Centurions.

We will never get a completely NA or variant POP wave as they would not sell enough. Hopefully, NA fans get at least a couple more figures before the line ends. Lizzor has a Snake Man type vibe to him that I think would make him the most popular of the characters left.
    I don┤t expect a full vintage POP line. One wave with Starburst She-Ra who could be easily changed into regular She-Ra with her red MOTUC cape, a Catra variant, yellow Castaspella, golden Entrapta and Frosta to give us a version who is not flawed would be great if you ask me

As i said a vintage POP variant wave could be cool but that┤s why i would like to know what other customers and fans really think about it. I┤m curious
    Last edited by Niki; February 17, 2019 at 10:30am.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I wouldn't like to speculate on the likelihood of further themed waves, but I could certainly see a wave of vintage toy-styled POP, starting with Catra who definitely needs a toy-style variant no matter what happens. Other possibilities I would welcome include:

1. Vintage mini-comic: Texeira Tri-klops, Texeira Goddess (with Texeira Skeletor head), Timm King Hiss, Garn and Pink Teela

2. Modern DC: Goddess of Serpos Teela, Evil Orko, Ressurected Skeletor, Horokoth Evil Lyn

3. Axel - modern mini-comic wave: Lady Slither, Zombie Skeletor, Muck-man, Choloh or many others ...

Here's hoping support for the Classics remains strong enough to deliver more product
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I am kind of relieved that they have not done any POP yet. Some of the remaining POP variants and characters are among the most demanded, and, at least in my opinion, S7 is still trying to figure how to make female figures. I really don’t want a double-butted Star Burst She-Ra that is a full head shorter than my regular and bubble power she-ra.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

I hope the finish the movie first. Should be half movie half classics from here forward.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Heroic Warrior
    Val the situation is the next: The prototypes are pretty nice (we expect the final product are the same) but the point is the last wave of CC was in SDCC 2017, so the wave 3 have a big expectation and great part of fan want a mix of figures ( NA, design of Axel, 200x, filmation, etc) and give us a entire wave of movie, for me and others, are not the best. The Slot of Karg is a lost slot in this, long demanded wave, maybe a repaint for Power con is cool, but slot for wave 3, not.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    You won't see collections named like you suggested. The reason this is called the William Stout collection is because they did a deal with Stout to make the movie figures happen. It's also why some of the colors and details lean towards Stout's designs and are not directly from the movie itself.

The movie figures also ranked near the top of the polls for a couple of years. It made sense to do them next as a wave, while Super7 had the opportunity to work a deal with Stout.

So what is next? Tough to say. The future of Classics is going to be an interesting one moving forward!
    Val will Brian Flynn be able to do 87 Movie Evil-Lyn , 87 Movie The Beast Man and the 87 Movie troopers or are they off the table?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karatzis View Post
    Val the situation is the next: The prototypes are pretty nice (we expect the final product are the same) but the point is the last wave of CC was in SDCC 2017, so the wave 3 have a big expectation and great part of fan want a mix of figures ( NA, design of Axel, 200x, filmation, etc) and give us a entire wave of movie, for me and others, are not the best. The Slot of Karg is a lost slot in this, long demanded wave, maybe a repaint for Power con is cool, but slot for wave 3, not.
    You keep stating the same thing over and over. We get it you are disappointed, but at this point it is what it is and hopefully CC wave 4 gives you everything you want.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

I hope this William Stout collection was a one time thing and we're done with the movie stuff after this. Sounds like Super7 still doesn't have direct movie rights, and can only make figures from Stout's sketches, which hopefully limits it to just this wave.

I hope Collector's Choice goes back to "normal" after this, and we start getting the sorely missing NA, 200x, Mini Comic, Filmation, and "new" characters that many of us have been waiting for over a year to see more of. I'll be sorely disappointed if we mostly get variants from here on out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I was really hoping that Super 7 could deliver on this... but, I at least want a Spinwit, Lizorr, and Sagitar. (With an exclusive Sebrian.)

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    I am kind of relieved that they have not done any POP yet. Some of the remaining POP variants and characters are among the most demanded, and, at least in my opinion, S7 is still trying to figure how to make female figures. I really don’t want a double-butted Star Burst She-Ra that is a full head shorter than my regular and bubble power she-ra.
    Not just your opinion, this has been a huge conversation in the collecting community since the Teela debacle...

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I hope this William Stout collection was a one time thing and we're done with the movie stuff after this. Sounds like Super7 still doesn't have direct movie rights, and can only make figures from Stout's sketches, which hopefully limits it to just this wave.
    Not necessarily, there were plenty of designs made for all of the major players in the '87 movie. I would love to see a lot of them made in to figure form.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Val will Brian Flynn be able to do 87 Movie Evil-Lyn , 87 Movie The Beast Man and the 87 Movie troopers or are they off the table?

- - - Updated - - -

You keep stating the same thing over and over. We get it you are disappointed, but at this point it is what it is and hopefully CC wave 4 gives you everything you want.
    I cant understand why Mjw41 dont like other fan, in voice of much others, express disconform, are you part of super 7?,always its the same with you, not alls have the same opinion of you, please respect the opinion of the rest, like i respect your opinion. If you like wave e of CC congratulation, i think are beutifil figures, karg repaint is a lost slot and all its ok.

I hope that moving forward, they increase the number of figures to 6 like we've seen with Club Grayskull. I want as many new characters as possible and I'm also not picky if they end up as CG or CC, so long as they see the light of day.

Right now, between buying the Club Grayskull variants and the vintage variants, I'm feeling an extra hunger for something new. I feel like MOTU is starting to get into that Transformers/G.I. Joe type of a funk where all we're seeing is mainly a recycling of the same characters over and over again.

I get it, familiarity sells, but I'd much prefer something new that will expand and enrich my collection, instead of adding just another variant to my shelves, even if I do like the variant in question.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Moving forward I too would like to see 6 figures per Classics wave (but maybe not until 2020, what with Snake Mountain taking all my MOTU money this year... LOL!).
    I don't necessarily want to see "themed" waves and I get why this Stout one was done the way it was. I'd like to see a mix again and would prefer something akin to this (as an example of what I think a good mix would be):

Classic Toy Costume Catra
    Lady Slither
    Sagitar
    William Stout Evil-Lyn
    Hunga The Harpy
    King/Captain Miro

With a wave of six I could stomach two variants per a wave, as there's still more I'd like (such as Starburst She-Ra, 200X Roboto, Ice Armor He-Man, a solid non-translucent Green Goddess... just not necessarilly an entire wave made up of variants).

I believe that next year we could the catra sand starburst Shera as powercon exclusives since it’s an anniversary for them

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    I believe that next year we could the catra sand starburst Shera as powercon exclusives since it’s an anniversary for them
    That's what I'm thinking. Wonder which Catra it would be though as there's two variants left..?
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. Wonder which Catra it would be though as there's two variants left..?
    maybe both and shera, kinda like what they did with the movie skeletors this year.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Hmmm, hard to say what to expect. One thing is what I'd like to see (more figures per wave, good balance of character selection and not so dominated by variants), but the real thing to expect could be totally different.

I think we could reasonably expect the wave size to remain at 4 figures, no more than that. You know, it's already been discussed in this forums that original chacarters left are obscure characters, etc, etc. Seems also that we will get stuck with those poll results that have guided CC from then. That's concerning for me, because top ranks were dominated by variants and Filmations, so that's what we will get. Also we can expect cost-balanced waves instead of faction/source-balanced waves: if we get 2 detailed figures, the other 2 will be repaints or almost-zero-tooling variants.

If we were with the designer themres, I would like to see an Axel Gimenez' wave or a Mark Taylor's wave, or the long due variant Tony Guerrero's He-Man, but this is so unlikely to happen...
    Last edited by man-at-work; February 18, 2019 at 12:37pm.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

I expect to not expect anything. The only thing I can expect is to be surprised.

It's fun to discuss but realistically, especially now and with this company, they could do almost anything.

Expect the unexpected. Which, really, is saying don't "expect" anything.

For the record, these figs are cool. I did not really think I wanted them. Now after seeing them I am glad they exist. I still dont need a movie coloured Karg, the comic one was fine but I am not mad he is going to exist. I still do not want God Skeletor and I rather wish he didnt exist. I fully appreciate that he should, I just dont want him but when he is made I'll probably feel like I have to keep him in the collection since I'll have the other 2.

Heroic Warrior
    It’s called the William Stout Collection?

Quote Originally Posted by ero View Post
    It’s called the William Stout Collection?
    Yes, Bill Stout was the production designer on the 1987 MOTU movie.

The figures coming in this wave are based on his production art, rather than the actual movie costumes... (Super 7 may not have the official movie rights, so this is a good circumvent.)

Stout is an awesome artist/designer with a big "Heavy Metal" flavor in his work. Check out some of the stuff that he's done in addition to the MOTU designs... a lot of which I really wish had made it into the movie.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    What do you guys think?
    I want to see substantial progress on the Literature Faction and Concepts & Prototypes.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

That would explain the difference in appearance in He-man's likeness. It's a very generic looking face. I can't say it looks like Dolf Lundgren, but only sparingly. Its still a GREAT figure. I love that they made them like mini statues of the actual characters and costumes and didn't decide to dumb them down as a "toy". After years of people making custom figures, these really do the movie characters justice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Yes, Bill Stout was the production designer on the 1987 MOTU movie.

The figures coming in this wave are based on his production art, rather than the actual movie costumes... (Super 7 may not have the official movie rights, so this is a good circumvent.)

Stout is an awesome artist/designer with a big "Heavy Metal" flavor in his work. Check out some of the stuff that he's done in addition to the MOTU designs... a lot of which I really wish had made it into the movie.
    Thanks. But are they officially calling it that?

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by ero View Post
    Thanks. But are they officially calling it that?

Yes, it┤s written on those small stand-up displays.There you can read the extra title with the William Stout Collection and on the Conan description there is no such tagline.