Thread: Will the Netflix toys be on the Classics buck? (Let's hope so!)

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar

Will the Netflix toys be on the Classics buck? (Let's hope so!)

So via Mattel's rep and Kevin Smith, it sounds like there is a toy line coming for the Netflix show.

The way Kevin Smith is talking, it sounds like the character designs will be closer to the Filmation designs than even 200X was.

(I am thinking they will end up looking like the designs in some of the recent DC comics runs, particularly the Thundercats crossover event. Very basic, updated Filmation looks... Prince Adam being a prime example.)

Will Mattel be smart and continue Classics through this avenue?

(And maybe sneak it a non-Netflix figure here and there?)

Fingers and toes are crossed!!!!

I believe they will hopefully use the Origins buck and be part of the Origins line.

If it is going to mass retail, they would probably just use the Origins buck. If just specialty stores and/or online, maybe. The "love letter" to the original show and toyline makes me lean towards Origins.

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Listening to the Mattel rep talk, it sounds like whatever else is coming is something other than Origins.

Wait a minute....so this means that next year, there will be MCX, MOTU Origins, plus a third, different line??
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    So via Mattel's rep and Kevin Smith, it sounds like there is a toy line coming for the Netflix show.

The way Kevin Smith is talking, it sounds like the character designs will be closer to the Filmation designs than even 200X was.

(I am thinking they will end up looking like the designs in some of the recent DC comics runs, particularly the Thundercats crossover event. Very basic, updated Filmation looks... Prince Adam being a prime example.)

Will Mattel be smart and continue Classics through this avenue?

(And maybe sneak it a non-Netflix figure here and there?)

Fingers and toes are crossed!!!!
    No I think the Origins line is the current iteration of Mattel He-Man

I think Origins is the companion toy line to the new cartoon. Having yet another kind will only fragment the brand like what has happened to Star Wars.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Wait a minute....so this means that next year, there will be MCX, MOTU Origins, plus a third, different line??
    Don't forget the new line of mini's

Origins is the only line. Nothing was said about another line.
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    I think its going to be like the vintage line and figures based on the movie and new toon will be a part of Origins (and maybe mcx and / or minis if we're lucky!).
    Changed my blog Alexis' Treasures!/

I'm Bacccck!

Check out Pixel Dan's video: Mattel MOTU Origins Product Walkthrough at Power-Con 2019 at 4m36s
    Brit says: "It's obviously the Origins line really was for us to cater to 'you know' the needs and the wants of the Adult Collector"
    The figures shown already encompass 3 waves. "A ton of character variety, lots of newness at retail." 4x refreshes new mixes (of the wave 1 origins) assortment of characters every year that we do this series.

What I got from it is the MOTU Origins 5.5" figure line is Mattel's new collector oriented series which is planned for years.
    I doubt we get more Classics from Mattel maybe with the exception of PowerCon.
    Origins is being pushed hard. I see why Classics was put to a stop at Super7 even more now
    The MOTU mini's are pushed for kids especially.
    MOTU WANTS: Songster "Kevin Corrigan", Kittrina, Illumina, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Drissi, Caz Spritina, Sprag, Sprocker, Hunga the Harpy, Green Reptile Mask of Power Demon, Purple Wolf Mask of Power Demon, Lizorr, Hoove, Butthead, Staghorn, Colonel Blast, Monster Riders of Morc
    FILMATION: Battle Cat, Ram Man, Stratos Whiplash
    =>MOTU-Classics-Checklist

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by xTIMMYxCOREx View Post
    I think Origins is the companion toy line to the new cartoon. Having yet another kind will only fragment the brand like what has happened to Star Wars.
    I still think in a worst case that we may see one offs on the MOTUC buck when Mattel wants to double dip. But it’d be a collector thing and not a line, per se.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by synthalus View Post
    Check out Pixel Dan's video: Mattel MOTU Origins Product Walkthrough at Power-Con 2019 at 4m36s
    Brit says: "It's obviously the Origins line really was for us to cater to 'you know' the needs and the wants of the Adult Collector"
    The figures shown already encompass 3 waves. "A ton of character variety, lots of newness at retail." 4x refreshes new mixes (of the wave 1 origins) assortment of characters every year that we do this series.

What I got from it is the MOTU Origins 5.5" figure line is Mattel's new collector oriented series which is planned for years.
    I doubt we get more Classics from Mattel maybe with the exception of PowerCon.
    Origins is being pushed hard. I see why Classics was put to a stop at Super7 even more now
    The MOTU mini's are pushed for kids especially.
    I still got from that video that they have other lines planned, Brit didn't give much away but "her team" is working an a lot of stuff, and that Origins is just the tip of the iceberg.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

What it sounds like to me based on Kevin Smith stating the show designs look "metal," the rumor that the show designs are based on the Box Art, and that Origins is being pushed hard by Mattel is that the Origins designs ARE, in fact, the show designs. So the Origins toys are the toys for the Revelations show since they are of the same, or very similar, designs. I think the other toy line the Mattel rep was mentioning was the movie line.

So there will be three total new MotU toylines: Minis (for kids), Origins (to scratch the vintage itch and also support the Revelations Netflix show), and the Movie line. I think it's possible the movie line might have three different sub-lines as well: a $10 figure for kids with some gimmick, a $20 figure for collectors with more articulation and accessories, and a $10-$15 12-inch figure line.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Widget
    I thought the Origins line was the line that was for the Netflix show??

I wouldn’t be surprised or terribly upset if the Netflix designs and Origins are close, but I wouldn’t exactly call Origins “metal,” so they’ll probably be two distinct looks. Still, if the characters are at least “close enough” in look, I think Origins could be enough of a toy presence on shelves rather than launch a whole separate line. Throw on a sticker when the show is “Coming Soon to Netflix!” And, if it does very well as SATPOP has, launch that separate line later, perhaps?

I’d love for Classics to continue, but if it only did with characters we’ve gotten (in some cases many times over), then what would be the point?
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy