Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super7 Conan license question? - He-Man's / 3.75 or 6"

Heroic Warrior

Super7 Conan license question? - He-Man's / 3.75 or 6"

I see Super7 is doing a Conan based of a comic.

I am a little on the fence because I am not sure If I like that style. But this got me thinking, I would really like to see a 3.75 or a 6" based off the Arnold Movies, those would be amazing or even later comic ones. I know Neca made them but i'd like them in classics / he-man style.

This might be a license issue (i'm not the smart guy when it comes to these things)

Someone who has more knowledge then me, any chance this could ever happen?

Court Magician
    I'm not a licensing expert either, but I'm guessing the Arnold movies are something completely different, especially when it comes to using the likenesses of actors.

Licensing and selling toys is weird. For example, NECA is making Ninja Turtles figures (normally Playmates makes TMNT) but NECA is allowed to make figures based on how much the figures cost and where they sell them (i.e. GameStop and the electronics section of Target, where Playmates is not present).

Funko did show of a 5.5" x line of Conan figures based on Conan the Barbarian (it was part of their Savage World line), but I haven't heard much about it after they showed it some time last year.

Apparently, getting the rights to make action figures based on the Schwarzenegger films is extremely difficult.

Neca had a line of five figures (where two of them were variants) and Funko will be releasing a much more inclusive line in late 2019.

To answer your question, it is doubtful that Super 7 will pursue the Conan Movie license - especially because they just introduced the Barry Windsor-Smith version of the character and if they want to fill in the line, it is more sensible to release characters from the early Marvel run of comic stories.

If you would like a Conan figure on the MOTUC buck with Schwarzenegger aesthetics - keep an eye out for customs that periodically show up on eBay. I have seen a number of fantastic figures show up from time to time that look like legitimate releases.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I think getting the rights to use Arnold's likeness might be the issue. Funko doesnt have to deal with that for their SW figures and the Pop figure they put out.

Hopeful that S7 are planning multiple Conan releases based on other artists interpretations like John Buscema and Frank Frazetta.

I’m not really keen on collecting the Arnold versions, but I’ll grab the S7 Conan tobuse with MOTUC! I’d love more options to fill out my Eternia & Etheria!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks guys some good stuff. Sorry for posting in the wrong section. But either way good info from everyone every time.

Of course I am a huge 80's fan of all He-man, Arnold stuff so since it's all sorta tied together for me, I would love to see it. But I get it's a prob.

Heroic Warrior
    HOLY SMOKES MY MINDS BEEN BLOWN, I just heard super7 is doing an Arnold Conan, what I asked for just back in March!

I've been waiting a long time for this. Now I hope they get to Conan the Destroyer with all those characters but for now I will be happy with what I get. I hope they do the painted, pit version. Oh man, my old azz is super excited over here.

Heroic Warrior
    The head sculpts on the Conan figures look fantastic! Really good likenesses for all 3 and I like that they made the alternate heads helmeted instead of the helmets being an accessory and possibly not fitting the heads properly.

I like Super 7's Conan but if NECA had been making them now I think they would have looked better and been a lot more affordable.

Heroic Warrior
    Those look as good as any NECA figures I've seen (at least the horror ones).

It would be nice to see them make Conan's comrades as well. But I doubt it will happen.

Heroic Warrior
    I love the Conan movies and would love have these but I feel like Super 7 quality figures arenít worth 35 that I have been paying and Iím not paying 45 . My ultimate filmation He man sucks I absolutely hate that figure and then on the very next preorder they put the accurate filmation powersword and lightning effect in with prince Adam how is mine a ďultimateĒ if I didnít get those accessories?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    It would be nice to see them make Conan's comrades as well. But I doubt it will happen.
    Yeah, collectively, Conan's buddies would help break up that familiar silhouette of the typical male MOTUC buck. Other than Subotai, who even though he is smaller they'd probably give him that body type anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    Yeah, collectively, Conan's buddies would help break up that familiar silhouette of the typical male MOTUC buck. Other than Subotai, who even though he is smaller they'd probably give him that body type anyway.
    Apparently, Super7 has the rights to both Schwarzenegger films (and, God-willing, Red Sonja) because the Conan figure they've shown comes from "The Destroyer" while the other two are from the original film. This means that there could potentially be a very robust lineup of figures - including allies from both (or, if you're like me, all three) movies!

Subotai would look great on a modified Lizard Man buck...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

I would love a line of Conan The Adventurer, I don't think Hasbro does anything with them. In the MOTUC buck they would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Baedal View Post
    I would love a line of Conan The Adventurer, I don't think Hasbro does anything with them. In the MOTUC buck they would be fantastic.
    Those would look cool. 2 or 3 waves would make most of all the characters.

These look great. I am very excited for these.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Apparently, Super7 has the rights to both Schwarzenegger films (and, God-willing, Red Sonja) because the Conan figure they've shown comes from "The Destroyer" while the other two are from the original film. This means that there could potentially be a very robust lineup of figures - including allies from both (or, if you're like me, all three) movies!

Subotai would look great on a modified Lizard Man buck...
    I also thought it looked like destroyer conan, but they said barbarian, but whom knows. Man all the characters from destroyer would be great, even the monsters in the glass scene & the main monster at the end. Sorry I can't remember the names of the top of my head. But if they did those, I would buy them. They do seem a bit expensive but at this point no one else is making them so i'm screwed.

Heroic Warrior
    Super7 please make this!!!

Attachment 121119

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by racer x View Post
    Super7 please make this!!!

Attachment 121119
    That'd be cool!

I don't really see more than a handful of Conan Movie figures getting made due to the actos agreeing the use of their likeness. They got the first four, Akiro could only be made if Mako's family agrees since he passed away. They could do Wilt Chamberlins character if they get permission Maybe Sandal Bergmans character if she agrees to let her likeness be used.

That's about pretty much it maybe 7 figures total.
    So Glad Super7 has the Thundercats Lic. Looking forward to all they have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I don't really see more than a handful of Conan Movie figures getting made due to the actos agreeing the use of their likeness. They got the first four, Akiro could only be made if Mako's family agrees since he passed away. They could do Wilt Chamberlins character if they get permission Maybe Sandal Bergmans character if she agrees to let her likeness be used.

I honestly don't think there is many characters to make from the first and second movie combined. A dozen at the most maybe being generous.
    I am sure someone will comment that the Conan line will be incomplete if they don't make that one villager who appeared for a couple seconds at the start of the movie.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post

They can do variations of movie Conan..
    -barbarian
    -pit fighter
    -war paint
    -final battle
    -destroyer

Thoth-Amon and Dagoth from Destoyer wouldn't need likeness rights. The others I don't know. Funko Savage World had 6 figures planned from the first movie, including Subotai and Valaria. But since they were kind of cartoonish looking, don't know if likeness rights were an issue at all.

There's no costumed version of these characters in these movies I wouldn't want as a figure. I'd even take Thulsa Doom in his bathrobe talking about the power of flesh over steel! But also important to me are Zula, Valeria, and Queen Taramis (in all her outfits) after the figures already named. Everyone from Subotai to Bombaatta would be great, but I hope for those three ladies especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    They can do variations of movie Conan..
    -barbarian
    -pit fighter
    -war paint
    -final battle
    -destroyer

Thoth-Amon and Dagoth from Destoyer wouldn't need likeness rights. The others I don't know. Funko Savage World had 6 figures planned from the first movie, including Subotai and Valaria. But since they were kind of cartoonish looking, don't know if likeness rights were an issue at all.
    I'm pretty sure the estate of Pat Roach would need to approve his likeness for Thoth-Amon. The Thak-esque monster version not so much, but for the human wizard yes (and I think it'd be strange to not have the human form, like only making Thulsa Doom with the snake face). As a work around to not getting the likeness, I guess it'd work, but no one would call it ideal.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

I got the distinct impression from S7 at their panel on Saturday that they have some other non-movie Conan figures planned. Brian had a response to a question about other versions of Conan from the comics and he said "not currently" but we do have some other Conan things planned from other sources. Something about the timing and how he said it made me feel like he wasn't talking about movie figures - he had previously indicated that they were in talks to obtain likeness rights for various people from the movies - that made me think there might be some other Conan figures planned based on either the Cartoon or the old Remco toy line.... or, who knows.

I would absolutely love Classics figures based on the Remco Conan - Thoth Amon, Devourer of Souls, Jewel Thief, Warrior Conan and King Conan. Figures based on Conan the Adventurer cartoon would be great too though.

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    I got the distinct impression from S7 at their panel on Saturday that they have some other non-movie Conan figures planned. Brian had a response to a question about other versions of Conan from the comics and he said "not currently" but we do have some other Conan things planned from other sources. Something about the timing and how he said it made me feel like he wasn't talking about movie figures - he had previously indicated that they were in talks to obtain likeness rights for various people from the movies - that made me think there might be some other Conan figures planned based on either the Cartoon or the old Remco toy line.... or, who knows.

I would absolutely love Classics figures based on the Remco Conan - Thoth Amon, Devourer of Souls, Jewel Thief, Warrior Conan and King Conan. Figures based on Conan the Adventurer cartoon would be great too though.
    I saw the ToyHypeUSA interview with Four Horsemen at Powercon and Cornboy mentioned there are multiple versions of Movie Conan they can do now that Super7 secured Arnolds Likeness rights also the other two and the missing one had multiple looks in the movie and Cornboy said we could do them all.
    So Glad Super7 has the Thundercats Lic. Looking forward to all they have to offer.