Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Binge watching vs. traditional once-a-week viewing

I took no offense to the question.

It largely comes down to preference. One of the youth pastors we had at my church said to me once 'I don't get the whole skinny jeans thing.' My response was there isn't anything to get, it's a fashion trend and teens tend to be more susceptible to such things either in a positive or in a negative way.

Me and the fiance psuedo binge because we watch most on netflix. Sunday and Wednesday we spend about 4 hours each of those days watching the shows we want to watch. I don't think we are watching anything currently that would be deemed purely episodic like kids cartoons were more in the 70s and early 80s (general setup for the show with each episode telling it's own story in that context).

So in comparison will compare Stranger Things and The Flash. Stranger things the episodes very much flow one episode into the next almost picking up exactly were the previous one left off, despite it's heavy 80s influenced story stylings. When we take the breaks it's very much need to get back in and finish it off, it's let's try to watch as many episodes in one sitting as possible. Season to season is a long wait it feels (especially this one).

The Flash, what I think most shows do now episode to episode stories that end with the episode with an overall story going on in the background. To be honest if netflix was easier to navigate from one show to the next (it's not hard) we would probably skip around in other shows from time to time instead of focusing in on getting the season done. there is less in between episodes of rushing to the restroom, trying to cook your pizza with telekinesis, and trying to get as close to bed time as possible. If one isn't feeling well we might even cut the night short.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Yes, Dice, but isn't the fact that it;'s killing you exactly the point -- i.e., that it builds excitement and anticipation which is good for the show and, ultimately, for you because the payoff was worth waiting for?

Why does so much have to be resolved instantly?
    I think there is also an added complexity to shows now days. Clues and hints and things of that nature spread out over a whole season or multiple seasons... that just get lost if you wait. I long said that I don't know how people could watch Lost week to week... I first found it on dvd and needed to watch it fast just to remember all the stuff they brought up out of the blue 3-5 weeks later.

ANother example is American Horror Story.. I just saw season 8 or 9... which is apparently a crossover between the characters of Season 1 and 3 I think? Point is... they're acting like I'm supposed to be make all these connections and picking up on the 'cool subplots'... and frankly it's been like 9 years since I saw season one and none of it meant much at all. I eventually went back to Netflix and rewatched some of season 1 to refresh my memory... but shows now are a lot more... complicated then they used to be. To get the full effect they're going for you need ALL the information at the drop of a hat... which my poor 41 year old brain doesn't do anymore

It's binge or feel like you're watching half a show...

Master of New Adventures!
    Listen, at my age it's probably smarter to binge watch. Who knows if I'll be around in a couple of weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I also prefer binge watching as I don't have the patience to wait a week between episodes. I buy my favourite TV shows on DVD each year.

Listen, at my age it's probably smarter to binge watch. Who knows if I'll be around in a couple of weeks?
    Oh stop it. I have little doubt you’ll reach triple digits. No sarcasm.

OK, this totally made me giggle. I joked with my chiro the other day that I am getting old and decrepit and he yelled at me. I turned 40 this past November
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    OK, this totally made me giggle. I joked with my chiro the other day that I am getting old and decrepit and he yelled at me. I turned 40 this past November
    chiro as in chiropractor? I may have to ask you about your experience with that. I'm considering going to see one for some pain issues that I'm having with my neck, back, and shoulders, but I know they can be kind of "controversial." Sorry for the off topic tangent. That's something for either another thread or PM.

As for the topic at hand, there are definitely pros and cons to binge watching. The plus side is having the previous episode still fresh in your mind when starting the next one, especially for any shows that have ongoing plotlines, etc.

One of the downsides is having to wait an extremely long time for the next season. Not only do I want to find out what happens, but the problem with something like a show on Netflix, for example, is that when the next season comes along months or a year + later in some cases, I have forgotten a lot of what happened with the previous season, so I end up having to binge watch that again before starting with the new season.
    With traditional viewing, while you may forget some details in between, usually it's not too bad if there is only a week or so between episodes. And any breaks between new episodes (like when they show reruns here and there, and waiting over the summer for the next season in most cases), are comparatively shorter.

Another downside is the potential to more likely get episodes mixed up in your mind later on and not being able to quite "take them in" individually in the same way. With traditional viewing, when you typically had to wait at least a week between episodes, it allows them to sink in more when you do watch them, allowing you to appreciate them on their own individual merits, while also appreciating what they bring to the ongoing series. I'm sure we can all name our favorite episodes of various shows that we watched and enjoyed over the years the "traditional" way.

But I think it becomes harder to pick a favorite episode of something that you just binged 10+ episodes of. I'm not saying it is impossible. Some will probably stand out more than others to some extent or another either as favorites/ones that are more preferred, and in some cases bad episodes (there is one episode in the 2nd season of Stranger Things that didn't go over very well with a lot of fans). I know for me, taking Stranger Things as an example, while I very much enjoy the series as a whole, I can't really say that there is one absolute stand out episode. And even with sitcoms like The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or even something like Fuller House (which I shamelessly admit that I watch)l, I find it hard to choose or even think about the concept of favorite episodes when watching a ton of them in a row, while I can think of many favorites from various sitcoms that I have watched over the years on regular TV. Sometimes a season of a Netflix may stand out as not being as good as a previous one, or maybe even being better. The last couple of seasons of Kimmy Schmidt weren't as good IMO as the first couple.

The problem is trying to resist the urge to binge watch a new season of the shows that go up for streaming all at once. When you finish one episode and are excited to see the next one, it is kind of hard to resist when it is right there, immediately available to watch.

I should have added a smiley emoji to my post as it was in jest.

I used a detailed age calculator on my seventieth birthday and it predicted I'll make it to 102 based on my healthy lifestyle, clean eating and plenty of exercising. When I showed it to Kim she shrieked with faux horror, "You mean I'm stuck with you for another thirty-two years?!" Even more fun is the biological age calculator, which shows my biological age as being 46. I confess I feel like I'm 36. My Zoe likes to tell me, "Dad, you're not 'old'; you're 'older'. Beautiful is a daughter's love for her father...

Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post
    Oh stop it. I have little doubt you’ll reach triple digits. No sarcasm.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post

Forty's the new twenty.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; March 24, 2019 at 12:02pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    chiro as in chiropractor? I may have to ask you about your experience with that. I'm considering going to see one for some pain issues that I'm having with my neck, back, and shoulders, but I know they can be kind of "controversial." Sorry for the off topic tangent.
    Yes, I love my chiropractor! Are they controversial? I had a lot of issues with my neck and back, but I always feel amazing after being adjusted

- - - Updated - - -

Forty's the new twenty.
    Woot! I think I may be getting arthritis though in some of my joints

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Forty's the new twenty.
    Well, being less than a year away from 40, myself, I sure as hell didn't "feel" 20 after walking around the C2E2 convention in Chicago all day yesterday!

You would if you worked out five days a week.

Well, being less than a year away from 40, myself, I sure as hell didn't "feel" 20 after walking around the C2E2 convention in Chicago all day yesterday!

I was at C2E2 today I can usually make it through in a couple of hours. I just hate the people who decide the middle of the isle is a good place for a family reunion. It can get stupid crowded when people just decide to stop and stand there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    I find that generally speaking, binge watching has little replay value or memorable episodes for me. It feels empty and disposable, almost like a soap opera.
    It is meaningless to watch Season 3: Episode 5- a random point in some story arc as opposed to actually watching self-contained episodes.

That's an interesting observation. I think it's true -- at least for some (many?) of us -- that watching five or six episodes in a night tends to blur things, whereas watching one episode a week allows us to marvel at and reflect on wonderful moments before instantly moving on to the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    I find that generally speaking, binge watching has little replay value or memorable episodes for me. It feels empty and disposable, almost like a soap opera.
    It is meaningless to watch Season 3: Episode 5- a random point in some story arc as opposed to actually watching self-contained episodes.

That's an interesting observation. I think it's true -- at least for some (many?) of us -- that watching five or six episodes in a night tends to blur things, whereas watching one episode a week allows us to marvel at and reflect on wonderful moments before instantly moving on to the next episode.
    Agreed. I suspect that the sea change in viewing habits towards binge watching is impacting the quality of programming, incentivizing the creative teams to put up as much shallow, low-value content as they can drum up in a short period.

I think these incentives will result in more misses than hits.

Maybe I do not binge watch then because I will maybe watch two or three episodes in a row (if they are really good), but no more than that. Who has the time? I like sleep!

Heroic Warrior
    I think that's more based on the way shows are made than it is based on how you view them. I used to Binge watch Smallville, Supernatural, and Heroes when they first came out on DVD... Smallville and Supernatural have some fantastic individual episodes, but heroes? It was one entire show broken up into XXX chapters. There was no single episode that ever stood out more than the others..

Sadly more shows are going with THAT method now. One giant arc with a few minor sub-sub-plots for individual episodes that don't amount to much.

Agreed. I suspect that the sea change in viewing habits towards binge watching is impacting the quality of programming, incentivizing the creative teams to put up as much shallow, low-value content as they can drum up in a short period.

I don't think that is necessarily true. I doubt the production schedules are substantially different than a TV show that airs weekly. If a TV show that airs once a week, when in production, cranks out one episode a week, I would imagine that roughly the same is true when show made for a streaming service are made. The only difference is that the episodes go up all at once when made for something like Netflix, but air weekly on regular network TV.

While I did speak of the downsides in my earlier post (i.e. things blurring together, not taking in each episode individually), there are benefits. Shows that have an over arching plotline can be somewhat easier to watch via streaming and on demand options. When a show airs weekly on TV, and sometimes has longer gaps than that (usually being off for a about a month around the holidays, for example), things aren't as fresh in people's minds when going to watch the next new episode. Not having to wait that long can be somewhat helpful. Even if you don't binge everything in one or two days, even if you watch an episode each day or every other day, it can be easier to keep up with it.

Another benefit, especially in the cases of shows with ongoing / recurring plotlines is that you can start it when you want to and not have missed anything. Years ago before streaming and on demand options, if you missed an episode, you had to wait until when/if they reran it. This IMO was a big part of the reason why some shows that were critically acclaimed and whose audience was often very dedicated would often struggle in the ratings.

Take Arrested Development, for example, during it's original run on Fox years ago. That's a show that not only often had ongoing and recurring plot points, but also recurring jokes and gags - some of which were even built up or added to over many episodes. It's a big part of why it was so highly acclaimed. But it was also why it was a show that was difficult for people to tune into one random episode and get on board with it. Admittedly the couple newer seasons that were made for Netflix aren't as good IMO, but I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that it is on Netflix as opposed to regular TV. It was more the limitations that they had in getting the cast together, often having to write episodes around who was and wasn't available at a given time.

But there are some great shows on these streaming services. I can't speak highly enough for Stranger Things, for example. While the experience can be somewhat different when binging something in a short period as opposed to watching it weekly on TV, that doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of the content, itself. Many older TV shows are available to watch through these streaming services, and the pros and cons of watching them one way or the other still exist even for those shows. For something like those original episodes of Arrested Development, at least now anyone who missed out on them originally can watch them at their leisure and not worry about missing an episode or starting in the middle.

Heroic Warrior

I kind of doubt it. If anything what I hear most often is the opposite. People complain about a show that has too much slow moments, and too many episodes that move the mega-plot... And that's in a series that only has 8-10 episodes. When I see people say they hope the next season of Daredevil has only 8 episodes to make a 'tighter season'... I get annoyed. I want MORE content not less. There's this big push for quality over quantity... and I like both.

I would say having 12-13 hours of awesome episodes... and 22 episodes for the season is where you start to see people just pushing plots to fill air time.

However... I remember a lot of times THOSE are my favorite episodes. They don't move their mega-arc along. they don't answer the questions that have been cliffhanging for the last 7 episodes... but they are a rock solid beginning-middle-end style episode that's self contained with a lot of golden moments in them.

Another benefit, especially in the cases of shows with ongoing / recurring plotlines is that you can start it when you want to and not have missed anything. Years ago before streaming and on demand options, if you missed an episode, you had to wait until when/if they reran it. This IMO was a big part of the reason why some shows that were critically acclaimed and whose audience was often very dedicated would often struggle in the ratings.

Yeah, I've tried to get people into watching some shows now... and the mentality is "if I can't start it from the beginning, than it isnt' worth my time..." I'm not sure exactly WHEN that changed. I remember the golden age of awesome shows... you NEVER saw them all and you NEVER got in on the pilot. Knight Rider, A-team, Quantum Leap, Star Trek... You'd hear good things about the show and turn it on halfway through season 1 or 2 and hope to catch what you missed on reruns. Sometimes you did... most time you didn't. But the episodes gave you a good opening that set the premise and then stood alone on their own. Soap Operas never even had reruns... but that mentality just doesn't work anymore.

If I had to nail it down.. the first time I really noticed it was somewhere between Heroes and X-files. X-files had a LOT of stand alone episode/monster of the week types that made me a mild fan, but there were a lot that built on the black ooze or something that I was totally lost in.... and Heroes was the first that I told a friend just start from the beginning.. there are NO episodes here...

Now It's almost the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I kind of doubt it.
    Give it time. It’s easy to get inertia bias and think things will continue as they are, with Netflix dominating the streaming industry while growing its content.

The rest of the industry will catch up eventually, and we’ll see the results of those incentives.

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Ouch, insult to soaps, lol.

Soap Operas never even had reruns
    Actually they did when SoapNet was a cable channel. It was around from 2000 to 2013.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

If I had to nail it down.. the first time I really noticed it was somewhere between Heroes and X-files. X-files had a LOT of stand alone episode/monster of the week types that made me a mild fan, but there were a lot that built on the black ooze or something that I was totally lost in.... and Heroes was the first that I told a friend just start from the beginning.. there are NO episodes here...

Now It's almost the norm.
    I think it was done purposely

Think about it, you could miss and episode when they were built as more stand alone stories. Now if you miss an episode you can be completely lost. It keeps viewers coming back which is their goal.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

Agreed. Imo, however, Into the Badlands is the exception to the rule. Amazing storyline, incredible cast and breathtaking production values and killer fight scenes. Among the best series ever to have been on television, I think. For those who haven't watched it on AMC/Netflix, check it out. Two episodes and you're hooked. Tragic that it's been canceled after 3 seasons.

While I have watched multiple episodes of shows (usually half-hour shows) typically I watch one a week.

Heh, I'd hate to have to binge watch and want to watch Dark Shadows....

Court Magician
    I have the DVDS for Seinfeld, Smallville and Simpsons. I can binge watch them any time.

Its the main shows on Netflix that will take me awhile to binge watch such as catching up on Walking Dead, Jericho, Bates Motel and Magicians to binge watch catch up on Netflix.

Some shows are taking a bit longer for me to catch up on such as the last 3rd season of Daredevil.

also while Ash vs Evil Dead was a decent show, i find it to be a bit boring and way too slapstick and cartoonish for a horror show based on the old movies. Final 3rd Season is the end of this month and Im tired of waiting for it to come on netflix