Thread: "Uncle Sam" caption question - from P&H book

"Uncle Sam" caption question - from P&H book

Hello,

I'm returning to Masters of the Universe after a long absence, and I see that during my wilderness years, a book called The Power & Honor Catalog has been published. Of course, I've missed out on this... but I have seen people flicking through the pages on youtube.

Near the end of the book, a proposal for He-Man as a "High Energy Military Attack Nucleus" (or something like that!) is shown, and one of the captions for it mentions "Uncle Sam". As this is an Earth term, not an Eternian one (unless introduced by Queen Marlena!), I just wondered if anyone with the book could provide some context please? What does the Uncle Sam caption actually say?

Thanks, I hope you can help!

I was 7 years old, it was the first episode I saw, and because of that screenshot I thought it was spelled with an 'E'... "I didn't invent the ****ing thing!" - Kyle Reese
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

REIGNBOW BRUTE; Crushing Your Childhood One Dream at a Time!

No doubt about it... He-Man has been the best of the brutes! Now it's time for him to wise up and join up!!!

We need him... so Uncle Sam's got 'em!!!.... In the most mind-blowin cosmically conscience crunchin hi-tech, state of the art, cuttin-edge military line in the industry
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    No doubt about it... He-Man has been the best of the brutes! Now it's time for him to wise up and join up!!!

We need him... so Uncle Sam's got 'em!!!.... In the most mind-blowin cosmically conscience crunchin hi-tech, state of the art, cuttin-edge military line in the industry

Wow, that’s wild! It reminds me of Roger Sweet’s Military He-Man concept, Tank-Top.

Thank you for posting, Tallstar!

photobucket-3163-1338951002528.jpg
    (Thanks to Pixel-Dan for the picture.)
    I was 7 years old, it was the first episode I saw, and because of that screenshot I thought it was spelled with an 'E'... "I didn't invent the ****ing thing!" - Kyle Reese
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I simultaneously find the H.E.M.A.N. concept one of the most fascinating and yet completely un MOTU concepts out there. It's one of those things that I'd love to see one or two concept characters from just for the sheer oddness of it but, at the same time, I'm glad that Mattel never went in this direction. The drawings and dialogue on the pitch are hilarious, though. The general concept really plays back into the earliest Roger Sweet He-Man pitch, as mentioned above, of He-Man being a toy designed to allow for multiple play patterns. Obviously at this point He-Man/ MOTU is swords and sorcery mixed with sci-fi elements but it's interesting that within 10 years of the line's start Mattel was trying to radically reinvent the concept so much. I get a Centurions/ G.I.Joe Sigma 6 vibe when looking at these.

I do find the concept of kids being able to send away for new accessories and outfits interesting. I wonder how that would have worked? It's a cool concept that seems like it could have some merit. Kind of a way to sell accessory packs without having to worry about retail skus for them. Considering how popular mystery crates and blind boxed items are it would be interesting to see a company try something like this: Pay up front for the figure/ doll/ etc and then every month for a year you get an envelope with accessories for your toy.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

It's a shame that the 1989-He-Man wasn't as successful as his earlier incarnation..., but I wonder how H.E./M.A.N. would have compared if he'd been in 1989-He-Man's place instead.
    Last edited by Rammy; April 4, 2019 at 07:40am.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammy View Post
    Hello,

I'm returning to Masters of the Universe after a long absence, and I see that during my wilderness years, a book called The Power & Honor Catalog has been published. Of course, I've missed out on this... but I have seen people flicking through the pages on youtube.

Near the end of the book, a proposal for He-Man as a "High Energy Military Attack Nucleus" (or something like that!) is shown, and one of the captions for it mentions "Uncle Sam". As this is an Earth term, not an Eternian one (unless introduced by Queen Marlena!), I just wondered if anyone with the book could provide some context please? What does the Uncle Sam caption actually say?

Thanks, I hope you can help!

It was gonna be a total re-imagination. No Eternia, no castle Grayskull, just Earth. So the Uncle Sam is THE Uncle Sam (there's even an American flag banner above it, for Pete's sake! :P ).
    Essentially, the idea was to have He-Man exactly like Barbie, a generic character than can be ANYTHING. Infantry trooper, martial arts fighter, mountain climber...

A horrid idea that was doomed to fail instantly.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

MAN, I'm glad this concept never left the drawing board..!
    Leech sucks..!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    So the Uncle Sam is THE Uncle Sam.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I mean; it's wild stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by smaug View Post
    MAN, I'm glad this concept never left the drawing board..!
    At least N/A was an actual continuation of the original....

Last edited by Rammy; April 9, 2019 at 06:07am. Reason: consolidating my replies.