Thread: The History of Masters of the Universe (1987) & How It Helped Bankrupt a Studio

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar

The History of Masters of the Universe (1987) & How It Helped Bankrupt a Studio

DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

The 1987 Masters of the Universe movie helped a film studio to bankrupt? That's unbelievable!
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Considering Cannon reneged on some of their financing of the film, I'd say Cannon was well on their way before MOTU came out.

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    Without having watched that vid yet, I always felt it being common knowledge that the Masters film was Cannon's last hope to turn the tide for the studio.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I love Toy Galaxy. I saw Dan at a convention once, cool guy and he really knows his stuff.

That said, here's an interesting bit of trivia: the budget for the first Star Wars movie and the Masters of the Universe movie was about the same (counting inflation). Chew on that!

The decision by the studio for MotU to have most of the action take place on Earth to save money is proven to be weak writing as per Star Wars.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

oh my god my pictures (laser power he-man) featured yet again in a popular video awesome

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    The decision by the studio for MotU to have most of the action take place on Earth to save money is proven to be weak writing as per Star Wars.
    Goddard made the decision to use most of the budget on the gigantic set for the interior of Grayskull. He came from a background directing plays, and so, this felt most comfortable for him. He was young, was doing the best he could, and fought hard to get the movie over the finish line. So, I can't blame him for the decision, but I also can't help but wonder what would have happened if that money was spread more evenly to "recreate" Eternia.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Goddard made the decision to use most of the budget on the gigantic set for the interior of Grayskull. He came from a background directing plays, and so, this felt most comfortable for him. He was young, was doing the best he could, and fought hard to get the movie over the finish line. So, I can't blame him for the decision, but I also can't help but wonder what would have happened if that money was spread more evenly to "recreate" Eternia.
    I think I remember from the director's commentary that Goddard said it was studio decision to have the story take place on Earth, but it's been awhile since I listened to it. But you're right that they blew their budget on that throneroom, but it does look amazing! But I think they could have gotten away with making it half that size and then spread the budget on other sets: like some Snake Mountain action, maybe another vehicle or two, more miniatures, etc.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Those sets from the early part of the film are just incredible. I love Gwildor's home and Castle Grayskull. Heck, even if most of the film had taken place in remote areas like nearly any other swords and sorcery film, it probably would have preferable. I really like the movie but the first 20 minutes of it and last 10-15 are incredible. The rest....
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Heroic Warrior
    Read How He-Man Mastered the Universe: Toy to Television to the Big Screen by Brian C. Baer for in-depth facts about the movie.

Who else loves Don Lafontaine's voice in the trailers?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Court Magician
    I remember as a kid being strange that he-man walks on regular streets, that was like superwerid and no orko, also redesigning costumes was another nail to the coffin.They should kepit it fantasy and do more mattepaintings instead of reusing their weird items from warehouses to build armors and sets, it was just mashup of costumes /stuff they had access to parading as he-man and masters... a lot of movies still do that and reuse props.
    If dolphs character would not be named he-man then nobody would know it was motu film.It was random scifi flick with elements from motu thrown in.
    Wow their pitch for part 2 was horrendous, how blind they were back then, they had no clue why they lost $ and they wanted to double to losses by all these changes that have nothing to do with motu.
    Last edited by bwwd; July 24, 2019 at 09:47am.