Thread: James Gunn Is Back on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

James Gunn Is Back on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Months after a controversy about crude tweets saw Disney eject Gunn from the third movie in his Marvel cosmic series, Marvel Studios has confirmed that, shockingly, the director will return after all.

Deadline reports that Gunn and Marvel have now confirmed that he will helm production on the third Guardians movie, and that the actual decision made to re-hire Gunn—brought about by Gunn’s apology over his prior tweets and through extensive talks between the director and Walt Disney Studios president Alan Horn—occurred months ago, despite allegations at the time that Disney was still not ready to bring the director back on board. io9 has confirmed with Disney that the details of Deadline’s report are accurate.
    Last edited by Uki; March 17, 2019 at 08:34am. Reason: Deleted link to political content.

It used to be that someone said something or did something stupid and they apologized and kept their jobs (within reason). Now everyone is lighting their torches and sharpening their pitch forks.
    Last edited by Uki; March 16, 2019 at 09:39am. Reason: Deleted political content.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Months after a manufactured controversy about crude tweets saw Disney eject Gunn from the third movie in his Marvel cosmic series, Marvel Studios has confirmed that, shockingly, the director will return after all.

Deadline reports that Gunn and Marvel have now confirmed that he will helm production on the third Guardians movie, and that the actual decision made to re-hire Gunn—brought about by Gunn’s apology over his prior tweets and through extensive talks between the director and Walt Disney Studios president Alan Horn—occurred months ago, despite allegations at the time that Disney was still not ready to bring the director back on board. io9 has confirmed with Disney that the details of Deadline’s report are accurate.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/holy-rocket-...-of-1833328223
    I surprised but at the same time pleased. I had low expectations for the movie otherwise.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

Heroic Warrior
    As long as the 3rd GotG is good, I will be good.

Just like the Hulk Hogan tape if they say or tweet it it's out there and there is no getting around it but you don't treat someone like they murdered someone that's a little extreme.

Oh and I believe ALOT of people say and do things in their own house that are like this as well?? Your kidding yourself if you don't believe it..

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    This is great news! I was confident that Guardians 3 would be helmed by a competent replacement but I am very glad that James Gunn, who had so much of his own humor and personality weaved with the Guardians franchise, will be returning for the three-quel.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I shouldn’t have to remind anyone that ALL political discussion must take place in the Tar Swamp. This thread can continue as long as everyone adheres to the Forum Rules.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Awesome! now please get Silver Surfer or Hepzibah and Corsair in the next movie and you can't have Guardians without gun
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

This is excellent news! Glad to see common sense prevailed in the end, now all thats left is for Alan Horn to make a public apology to Gun.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    It used to be that someone said something or did something stupid and they apologized and kept their jobs (within reason). Now everyone is lighting their torches and sharpening their pitch forks.
    I think it was the ‘within reason’ part that was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fandabidozi View Post
    I think it was the ‘within reason’ part that was the problem.
    Oh I am not a fan of his, I think his tweets were disgusting.
    Last edited by IceyCat; March 17, 2019 at 08:52pm.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Oh I am not a fan of his, I think his tweets were disgusting.
    Actually, while you and I normally see eye to eye on things socially Icey, I disagree here.

I have a problem with someone loosing their job over something that they said, as long as there is no proof that it went beyond bad taste in off color jokes. I think someone loosing their career over words is reactionary. My issue though some people can say some really wrong stuff and keep their jobs but some people can’t. Rules, wether soical or legal should be the same for everyone. I say let Gunn keep his job as long there were no actions, only words, but give everyone else their jobs back who said some inappropriate stuff. We either honor free speech or not. And for those who were offended by his words, that’s ok too, you can boycott his work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Just like the Hulk Hogan tape if they say or tweet it it's out there and there is no getting around it but you don't treat someone like they murdered someone that's a little extreme.

Oh and I believe ALOT of people say and do things in their own house that are like this as well?? Your kidding yourself if you don't believe it..
    I agree completely. Everyone says things that if they were in print would insight outcry. It’s hypocritical to throw stones. We have all said some really inappropriate stuff. I’d advise folks against putting that stuff on public soicla meida pages though. That’s just unwise.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Actually, while you and I normally see eye to eye on things socially Icey, I disagree here.

I have a problem with someone loosing their job over something that they said, as long as there is no proof that it went beyond bad taste in off color jokes. I think someone loosing their career over words is reactionary. My issue though some people can say some really wrong stuff and keep their jobs but some people can’t. Rules, wether soical or legal should be the same for everyone. I say let Gunn keep his job as long there were no actions, only words, but give everyone else their jobs back who said some inappropriate stuff. We either honor free speech or not. And for those who were offended by his words, that’s ok too, you can boycott his work.
    I do not think he should have been fired. Free speech includes speech I do not like, I totally get that and I would not want someone silencing me. I think both sides are wrong for engaging in these tactics (where they bring up old dirt on someone to try to ruin their lives). I just think he is a gross human being and I do not think his jokes were funny at all. That being said, I love Chris Pratt and I love the franchise. It just stinks that someone so gross is at the helm of it.

His jokes on Twitter were very bad, but he apologized for it and hasn't made any jokes like that in public since. And they were only jokes, it's not like he sexually harassed anyone or paid to fake his kids' SAT score or committed any other crime. He's a movie director. As long as there is no crime, I don't see why he had to be fired in the first place. And I will see the third Guardians and hope that it's better than the second one!

That said, if I said the the same jokes on Twitter, I would be fired. I teach at a high school and a college.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I look at it like this: his "job" at the time was to be a shock type comedian. He said some nasty stuff.

But if those tweets represented the type of person he is or was, I highly doubt the cast and others would have been so eager to work with him. Nor would they have fought so hard to bring him back. They know him better than we ever will.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.