Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: So what does "iCloud" do? (and an iTunes question)

  1. #1
    Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,758

    So what does "iCloud" do? (and an iTunes question)

    I have an Apple iPod Touch Generation 4 that I've had for several years, and as a result, now I have an "iCloud" on my PC. I've noticed this for a little while, but have never explored or touched it.

    What's the point of an iCloud? What does it do? Is it anything advantageous? Do people use their iCloud all the time now? Or is just an "extra" that you don't really need for anything?

    I've seen it around for a while, but have never asked.



    (and I've also noticed that you can no longer shop for games/apps in iTunes, whereas as years ago you used to be able to. So now I don't know where you go looking for apps/games)
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  2. #2
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,498
    I'm not an expert but a quick answer is that the iCloud is where all your purchases and information either are or can be stored. This way all the things you've purchased can be put on any of your Apple devices without having to purchase them again. It's like a storage locker for your stuff.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

  3. #3
    Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,758
    But I thought iTunes was like your storage locker as it is?

    Sometimes with these tech/gadget questions I feel like I'm right up there with Mr. Jack, and I'm even a whole generation younger! (meant all in good fun, Mr. Jack!)
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Ivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,883
    iCloud is useful if you have multiple Apple products. It basically connects everything and syncs across devices. So you can see photos you took with your iPhone on your iPad, Mac or Apple TV. But if you only have one Apple device it won't be very useful.

    They now have a separate App Store app for buying apps and games. You might need to update your software to see it if you haven't.

  5. #5
    Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    iCloud is useful if you have multiple Apple products. It basically connects everything and syncs across devices. So you can see photos you took with your iPhone on your iPad, Mac or Apple TV. But if you only have one Apple device it won't be very useful.
    Ahhhh, then no wonder I've never used it or looked into it---I only have one Apple product, my iPod Touch.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    They now have a separate App Store app for buying apps and games. You might need to update your software to see it if you haven't.
    Hmm, really? I searched around on my iTunes last time I was in it, but saw nothing anywhere. I was very perplexed:

    And I'm up to date on my software.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Ivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Hmm, really? I searched around on my iTunes last time I was in it, but saw nothing anywhere. I was very perplexed:

    And I'm up to date on my software.
    Oh do you mean iTunes on your computer? I don't think you can buy apps or games on the computer at all. I think you have to use the App Store app on the iPod Touch itself. And it should just be there on the home screen. It is impossible to delete.

  7. #7
    Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Oh do you mean iTunes on your computer? I don't think you can buy apps or games on the computer at all. I think you have to use the App Store app on the iPod Touch itself. And it should just be there on the home screen. It is impossible to delete.
    Oh, wow, lol...yeah, years ago I could just go into the "Store" in my iTunes on my PC, and there was a category for games and apps. I wonder why they changed it? That was so handy.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior Razzerian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Antwerpen, Belgium
    Posts
    453
    1-) iCloud is a storage system in which you do not need to store your data localmy, one of the big advantages beside saving local (harddrive) storage space is also that you will have access to these files/songs/videos (whatever you store on there) on all your apple devices that have been configured with the same Apple ID (or that have family sharing enabled with your Apple ID).

    So in essence your saving your data on the internet or the “cloud”, Apple’s servers really. I believe you only get 5GB for free though and it’s 0,99 cents for... 50GB? Something like that, and that’s monthly.

    2-) On your iPad there should be an app called “iTunes store” which you can use for videos, music, podcasts, etc. then there’s the “App store” which is used for games and other software. These are two different stores that should be present as standard on your Apple device.

  9. #9
    Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Oh do you mean iTunes on your computer? I don't think you can buy apps or games on the computer at all. I think you have to use the App Store app on the iPod Touch itself. And it should just be there on the home screen. It is impossible to delete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    2-) On your iPad there should be an app called “iTunes store” which you can use for videos, music, podcasts, etc. then there’s the “App store” which is used for games and other software. These are two different stores that should be present as standard on your Apple device.
    Well, I don't have an iPad, but on my iPod Touch I have a "Utilities" button that, when I touch it, there are several icons including "App Store" and "iTunes", but not "iTunes Store".
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •