Thread: Day of the Dead actor Joseph Pilato is dead!

Day of the Dead actor Joseph Pilato is dead!

https://movieweb.com/joseph-pilato-d...6Z2u80msJDrzGA

Can believe this underrated horror actor icon is dead at age 70! RIP Captain Rhodes.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Pilato, you'll be deeply missed.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    https://movieweb.com/joseph-pilato-d...6Z2u80msJDrzGA

Can believe this underrated horror actor icon is dead at age 70! RIP Captain Rhodes.
    Yes very Sad RIP Rhodes..

You know he was in the extended cut of Dawn Of The Dead As well:

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Yes very Sad RIP Rhodes..

You know he was in the extended cut of Dawn Of The Dead As well:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/21/9e/d6/2...ror-movies.jpg
    I know, i have the 4-disc DVD set from Anchor Bay and noticed
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    Sad news. Day of the Dead is my favorite of the original Dead films by George A. Romero. I wrote up a review of the film on Blu-ray, and am now posting it here. Great "final" film in Romero's initial zombie trilogy.

Technical review:

The PQ & sound were decent, but didn't seem to be THAT much better than the regular DVD.

Film:

-This was an interesting story - and was more post-apocalyptic than NOTLD or Dawn of the Dead, due to presumably taking place longer after the "zombie apocalypse". I liked the scenes of the burned-out cities, which were almost deserted - other than the zombies walking around.

The idea of a small group of uninfected survivors living in an underground bunker was intriguing, especially considering that there was a lot of tension between the different groups.

-Also, AFAIK this is one of the first (and only) zombie films that implied that the zombies had the capability to "become" intelligent again, re: the mad doctor's experiments with the "Bub" zombie; the fact that Bub was able to "remember" how to use a gun (as seen at the end of the film) implied that he was possibly capable of doing even more that this - if given the right training.

(IIRC, in TWD TV series there was a sequence where a scientist working for "The General" was doing experiments on zombies by trying to determine they remembered anything from their previous "lives". However, on this show, it was determined that they didn't remember anything, but were mindless monsters. IMHO, this whole sequence was an homage to the "Bud" zombie from DOTD).

-The zombie make-up "effects" were definitely more sophisticated & grotesque than what we saw in Dawn of the Dead; obviously, they got progressively better with each subsequent film.

-There was an open question in the film as to whether there were other human survivors - in addition to the ones in the bunker. If there were, they probably weren't within distance of the radio signals.

In any case, the final scene of the three human survivors on the beach was great - I think it showed that there was possible hope for humanity. And - though this was never stated or even implied - there was the possibility that they would run into other survivors at some point...