Thread: Star Wars Episode IX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Star Wars Episode IX

Disney may start gearing up Star Wars Episode IX marketing soon (probably to release a teaser at Avengers or next SW Celebration) and "probably" doing some "damage control" from the so divided strong opinions left by "SW:TLJ"

So, here's the first leaked poster for Ep IX

Looks like Kylo put his mask back (mainly since it may seemed that unmasked Kylo figures didn't do good for Hasbro), Poe has stolen Brendan Fraser's Mummy attire, some new characters (Knights of Ren, new Stormtrooper, new alien and a girl)

Most intriguing part for me is C3-PO wearing Chewie's bowcast and bandoleer (I hope Chewie don't die) and the lack of Lando that has been confirmed to be part of this movie
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

C-3PO packing heat? It's like my POTF2 C-3PO has come to life!

Seriously, this is pretty cool. Those red troopers look awesome and it's great to finally see the Knights of Ren.

I wasn't a huge fan of TLK but I'm hopeful Episode IX can get things back on track and be as fun as TFA was. I'm curious about the lady in purple. Who is that?

The other lady in the yellow definitely has the cape swirl going on. Lando's daughter, perhaps?

Anyone else kind of surprised that Rose isn't on here? I figured she might be.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I hope we get a bit more of R2D2 than just him being functional for like 5 seconds in the movie. Though him not being on the poster doesn't give me much hope.

I have zero plans to watch another Star Wars movie at this point. Congrats to those who are sticking with it/enjoying the new flicks. I will just re-watch the original trilogy. Not trying to be snarky at all, I just cannot get excited about new SW movies and that really makes me sad.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I loved The Last Jedi and was lukewarm on The Force Awakens, but that poster gets me hyped for Episode IX, hopefully it addresses fan's concerns while still delivering and interesting movie.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I have zero plans to watch another Star Wars movie at this point. Congrats to those who are sticking with it/enjoying the new flicks. I will just re-watch the original trilogy. Not trying to be snarky at all, I just cannot get excited about new SW movies and that really makes me sad.
    I find myself in the same boat, Regrettably.

To be honest I didnít enjoy TFA all that much but was hopeful on future films based on the last minuets of the film. I figured weíd really get going with film two. R1 was a pleasant surprise and wet my appetite. TJL was one of the worst films that I have ever seen, not even taking it as a SW film into consideration. The problem for episode 9, is that TLj left me with nothing to want to see. I donít care what happens at this point. I really donít. There is nothing to go back for.

For those that have been enjoying the new tenure of SW, Iím happy that you have something to look forward to. I wish I did, I just canít force this stuff down.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    I find myself in the same boat, Regrettably.

To be honest I didn’t enjoy TFA all that much but was hopeful on future films based on the last minuets of the film. I figured we’d really get going with film two. R1 was a pleasant surprise and wet my appetite. TJL was one of the worst films that I have ever seen, not even taking it as a SW film into consideration. The problem for episode 9, is that TLj left me with nothing to want to see. I don’t care what happens at this point. I really don’t. There is nothing to go back for.

For those that have been enjoying the new tenure of SW, I’m happy that you have something to look forward to. I wish I did, I just can’t force this stuff down.
    Same. I wanted to really like TFA, and I did like a few parts, but the majority of the movie was kind of hard to swallow. I had hoped the TLJ was going to reveal some amazing parental lineage to explain why Rey is apparently amazing at everything and they just went ahead and destroyed that. The TLJ was an abomination to me. It is very odd to me when people say 'this isn't for you.' Being a life long SW fan I am not sure why it would not be for me?!? Why wouldn't you make a film for the fans? I like R1 too. It is funny when you get more attached to characters you know are going to die at the end than the ones they are offering for (at least) a three part sequel - LOL!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I agree, the original trilogy was lightning in a bottle and you can't capture that again! i'm done with SWs after seeing The Last Straw and had no desire to see Solo which thankfully tanked and eventually the returns will diminish on this franchise.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I liked TFA for what it was. A new/old introduction to new characters. TLJ was a complete and utter trainwreck of a movie with a social agenda(which I won't' go into) that made me scratch my head and ask WTF happned to Star Wars.

I'm hoping for some type of redemption on this new one, but my bar is set low...like really low. So low an ant could probably walk over it without much effort.

And if Rose never showed up again I'd be happy. Her sister was way more interesting and she had less screen time. Rose was useless. Truth.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I agree, the original trilogy was lightning in a bottle and you can't capture that again! i'm done with SWs after seeing The Last Straw and had no desire to see Solo which thankfully tanked and eventually the returns will diminish on this franchise.
    My hubby keeps asking me to watch Solo and I refuse. There will never be another Solo for me besides Harrison Ford. I cannot watch it based on that alone. The fact that these Disney SW movies suck does not help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    The other lady in the yellow definitely has the cape swirl going on. Lando's daughter, perhaps?
    May not be but I'd say that's a pretty good guess.
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg

I believe Billy Dee Williams is returning for this one- at least action figure promo leaks of him in full Solo-inspired yellow have been seen so it's a good indication.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Anyone else kind of surprised that Rose isn't on here? I figured she might be.
    Due to all the online harassment the actress got from being in TLJ I get the feeling she may not be returning due to it. Much of it wasn't even from actual fans of the franchise(go figure) but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the internet garbage is souring the cast and crew and it might be a miracle anyone came back, or they did so just to spite the online whiners- JJ Abrams seems content to mouth off to people(honestly I haven't cared for most of his movies to start with, the time travel reboot aspect of his Star Trek films was 100% unnecessary and insulting AND he's admitted he doesn't care for Trek so he never should have directed it to start with, and his attitude is on par with Michael Bay) and loudmouths with an agenda like Ethan Van Sciver(who, for an "industry professional" is honestly no better than the Marvel SW writer who got fired, if not worse in terms of hate-spewing political drivel) are going to echo it back tenfold just so they can feel good about themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect the toys will also be a problem... again. Hasbro keeps raising prices and 5 POA now is expensive. Disney is focused more on story and characters than in designs that sell toys- which was a strength Lucas had from day one(certainly not his writing- even in 1977 the cast was highly critical of his dialog) and was his intent from day one. He had an interesting armored villain to sell a toy, Vader was barely-developed muscle for the main villain to boss around in ANH. The AT-AT and AT-ST certainly make for desirable toys even though the actual designs are horrible for any sort of military application- giant robot camels dropped several miles away from the target that move slow and can only shoot in one direction? Giant boxes on awkward backwards skinny legs that are easy to topple? Not to mention lots of aliens everywhere, even if they were brief filler characters, had designs meant to be interesting toys. Ewoks only existed to be "marketable" as toys, it's why Lucas changed the plans from Kashyyk to Endor and shrank the Wookie down and I bet you don't remember Ewoks or Droids existing just to push more toys out the door.

The irony of this is that people forget the sales flop of EpI toys resulting in massive overproduction and initial disdain of the movie, which killed Kenner as a subsidiary company totally. No one wants to admit that today is not much different than 1999's clearance bins full of gimmicky figures and characters people genuinely hated like Jar-Jar.

Modern SW has... a lot of characters in clothing so generic they could be in any franchise. Rose could be a Ghostbuster with very little modification, Rey could be in any fantasy setting and Finn is in "real world" clothes. Poe looks more like a bad cosplayer and Kylo borders between "Darth Vader ripoff" and "guy at a paintball tournament". The vehicles are rehashes of old stuff or nothing new of interest and the Stormtrooper... any comparison to Donald Duck's bill is more than fair, I'm sorry but no one responsible for that couldn't have seen it. It ruins an otherwise viable advancement in the design. Even if the films had been better received I don't see toy sales being much better, Hasbro was overcharging for designs that didn't make interesting toys. And meanwhile the PT and OT have had so many decades of toys that got repetitive years ago so even new toys of those characters don't sell because most collectors have Darth Vader too many times over. I believe George Lucas sold the franchise because he saw it was slowly but surely expiring and wished to let someone else deal with it, and even if he had somehow stayed on and made his own ST it would have been a repeat of the PT hate.

BB-8 is about the only thing that really stood out as a good toy design and it helped that real world tech is good enough they could make working replicas for sale. Porgs they banked on to be cute but the things were just.... there. They could have been accessories but they tried to sell them as figures, all because they had to CGI all the local wildlife in the filming location that they had no choice but to work around.

This is probably the least excited I have been for a Star Wars movie thanks to my dislike of Last Jedi, but I'll probably see it one time since JJ is back in the saddle. Hopefully, he will correct some of the wrongs of the last film since it did not flow well with Force Awakens. I would imagine the one girl is Lando's daughter and Lando himself will likely just be a short appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post

So, here's the first leaked poster for Ep IX

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...psir5cdc7q.jpg
    There's still a lot doubt if that poster is legit or not. A lot of the images on it are photoshopped directly out of continuity photos that leaked a few weeks back and even Mark Hamill posted on Twitter that he thinks that its fan made.
    Trying to keep an open mind but if it is legit I hate the idea of 3P0 using Chewie's bandoleer and bowcaster so hope that's not a big part and that alien looks terrible, like something out the Explorers film from 1985. However both those shots are from the leaked continuity photos so I hope 3P0 is just taking Chewie his equipment and not actually using them and that the alien is a background alien at most.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    There's still a lot doubt if that poster is legit or not...
    Yes, I forgot to specify that is a kind of "rumor" poster. Although, I truly believe that is some sort of "probing" marketing, a supposed leak to see how's the fandom reaction.

I'm amazed to see so many people has also felt so upset and disappointed about Star Wars after TLJ, besides some extremist fan rage haters, which I don't see myself among that rank, I thought that the majority liked TLJ.

I liked TFA loved Rogue One and found Solo quite good, so I wish next Ep IX to be good. It is true that I'm on the same wagon that new characters did not grow on me as my childhood heroes, but I truly get to care for Rogue One characters, from Jyn and Cassian to Baze and Chirrut and even SW Rebels characters; so something not quite good has been done within the new trilogy.

Still, I keep my faith on this new episode and the possible and potential "Knights of the Old Republic" from Weiss and Benioff.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Yes, I forgot to specify that is a kind of "rumor" poster. Although, I truly believe that is some sort of "probing" marketing, a supposed leak to see how's the fandom reaction.

I'm amazed to see so many people has also felt so upset and disappointed about Star Wars after TLJ, besides some extremist fan rage haters, which I don't see myself among that rank, I thought that the majority liked TLJ.

I liked TFA loved Rogue One and found Solo quite good, so I wish next Ep IX to be good. It is true that I'm on the same wagon that new characters did not grow on me as my childhood heroes, but I truly get to care for Rogue One characters, from Jyn and Cassian to Baze and Chirrut and even SW Rebels characters; so something not quite good has been done within the new trilogy.

Still, I keep my faith on this new episode and the possible and potential "Knights of the Old Republic" from Weiss and Benioff.
    I read that Mark Hammill posted something on social media that it wasn’t legit but me may be teasing. I’d post a link but I don’t have a social media account so take that with a grain of salt. It looks awefully good for fan made though.

Yeah While there’s is no shortage of folks online who enjoy TJL I have yet to meet anyone in person who likes that film.

I agree, I’m hopeful for what Weiss and Benioff come up with. The acting is pretty good on GoT. It’s nice to see fantasy/sci if that doesn’t rest on it’s CGI laurels.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; March 29, 2019 at 07:21pm.

No they didn't TLJ made money but it stung many fans that's why JJ came back...

this movie will kinda suk too and more that half movie goers will be so damn upset again
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

So, WTF does Rise of Skywalker mean?

Is Rey a Skywalker, which I think she should be, but that's just me. Or is it Ren finally coming to the light side. I dunno, I still think they are related.

And can I get a hell yes no Rose in the previews??!!???? Lets hope she doesn't come back around.

Was that scene with Leia from TFA? After Han died?

Smile like you mean it.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    And can I get a hell yes no Rose in the previews??!!???? Lets hope she doesn't come back around.
    I believe she is in the movie. From what I heard, she appeared on stage at the event at Star Wars Celebration where they were talking about the new movie and showed the trailer at the end.

Was that scene with Leia from TFA? After Han died?
    It would appear that it is a "new" scene for this movie. While Rey's costume throughout this trailer resembles what she wore in TFA, her new costume is white instead of the tan or whatever that she had in the earlier movie. She is wearing the white costume when she hugs Leia in the trailer.

I made a comment on another forum after the trailer dropped saying that I hope Leia isn't CGI like they did in Rogue One with Grand Moff Tarkin and the brief part with young Leia since they were still noticeably CGI (on occasion Tarkin did look pretty real, but not consistently so IMO). Someone replied saying that supposed the people behind the film have said that they are not recreating her via CGI. Take that with a grain of salt, as I haven't looked up any specific sources myself.

But if it is true, then I figure it has to be something roughly along the lines of the following...

-Maybe they filmed a few things with he before she died that were meant for this movie? I doubt this mostly because they didn't even have a script for this film when they made TLJ, and it would seem odd that they would make it a point to film anything specifically with her, but I'll keep it as a slight, all be it highly unlikely possibility.

What I think is more likely is they could be using extra footage that was shot but not actually used in the previous films. For something like Rey hugging her, maybe is was an alternate take of when they hugged in TFA, but they digitally edited it so give Rey her current costume, or something akin to this. This way it would mean that Leia is not CGI, but there is no "rule" about using that technology to take actual footage of her and edit it into the movie. Maybe they can somehow build dialog for this new movie around cut dialogue of hers from the previous films.... or maybe they'll get a good sound alike to voice her over. This is all speculation on my part, but it would make the most sense.

Ugh, you bring me great sadness, if Rose is in the movie.

I could see them using bits and pieces from previous films to put Leia in the new one.

Smile like you mean it.