Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode IX

Heroic Warrior
    I'll take TLJ over Attack of the Clones any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    I'll take TLJ over Attack of the Clones any day.
    TLJ made the prequels look like masterpieces

At this point, I'm looking forward to Knights of the Old Republic, if that actually happens. I am completely ready to move away from the particular era of Star Wars as we know it. I really wish it would have ended with Luke, Han and Leia still alive, but clearly, New Hollywood wanted them all dead. I'm even wondering if Lando will survive.
    Odd Man Out

Just a quick mod note: it has been requested that we keep conversation focused on this movie and not rehash the topics of other films which already have their own threats. Also, let’s steer clear of any SJW or political talk, as those topics have already been run into the ground elsewhere. Save that conversation for the tar swamp where it belongs.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    TLJ made the prequels look like masterpieces
    And who thought that would ever be said!!!
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Nobody Either way, George Lucas has been vindicated now (maybe that was his plan all along ).

Ha! Even Jar Jar Binx is not as bad as TLJ!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I want to remind everyone that it’s been requested that this thread maintain its focus on the upcoming movie. Naturally, the other films in the franchise will come into play, but rehashing opinions and ideas that do not actually pertain to Episode IX should be skipped. There are dedicated threads for the other movies if you’re interested in commenting on them on their own merits.

Thank you for cooperating with us in this!
    Last edited by Uki; April 6, 2019 at 07:36pm.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Solo's biggest flaws were Disney competing with itself against other movies they made, in a cramped schedule that's pumping out new SW movies as fast as TV episodes, plus the fact it had to exist to fill a plot hole the prequels left as to why Han didn't know the Jedi were everywhere in his youth(a holdover from early ANH writing ideas that Lucas altered- initially he intended the clone wars to be much further back in history and the Jedi to be less of a big deal or major presence- just like how Vader and Anakin were initially separate people, yeah ANH in hindsight was retconned big time). It and TLJ are on Netflix... but nothing else and I've never seen the prequels, so much for binge watching the films in order.

I won't argue that TFA and TLJ have.... piles of issues. Kylo being evil because his parents neglected him is sloppy writing. Luke doing nothing whatsoever and failing to bring the Jedi back makes no sense. The Empire falling in short order seems iffy as even without Palpatine they still had the military might to hold out for a few years... EU often said 15-20 but I think even 3-5 would make more sense. Snoke seemed like a nothing character thrown in that they intended to flesh out at a later date(I would nitpick that he's a wrinkled, disfigured ugly old man in a bathrobe.... but so was Palpatine...). The producers make a big deal over the First Order being "evil white people"(then again so was the Empire from day one) yet Finn and Rose infiltrate in uniforms and no one thinks these 2 minority characters are not members? Apparently the First Order are as dumb as the Black Wings from Maplestory. That's without seeing the films.

Unfortunately the sheer number of actual bigots that have taken to attacking these films makes it much harder to critique them because you get lumped in with them by the defenders. When these alt-rightist loudmouths are known to sue people for disagreeing with them I'd rather not be associated with them at all, even accidentally. This is becoming the case for nearly every bit of media now, politics get shoved in and at times I suspect companies are forcing this controversy(Id Software certainly did manufacture hatred over Doom 4 & Eternal!) because it seems to be better advertising than anything they could buy- and even if the film bombs(I can think of no valid reason for Ghostbusters to have been made) they can still scream "we're under attack" while the opponents scream "white genocide because it exists", and I believe the MPAA actually wants these films to fail, so they can blame it on piracy(it seems all these flops lately magically have "high" piracy rates, go figure) just so they can sue it for ammo to push stricter copyright laws(be very concerned with this!).

I know the prequels have issues. They have plot holes and bad writing. Jar-Jar was so hated his actor almost committed suicide due to the backlash. They were merchandise commercials before stories and it shows. I spent 15 years listening to hatred of the prequels. That alone makes me wonder if Lucas doing the sequels would have generated just as much internet hate as we have now, but mostly for different reasons- not that the alt-right or SJWs wouldn't have latched onto it anyway.

I also wonder if Disney is snubbing Mark Hamill ON PURPOSE as his other major role is as the Joker, working for Disney's biggest long-term business rival, which he keeps going back to frequently. This actually would not surprise me.

Maybe it's time SW just died off and vanished, as at this point it's being used as a political battleground more than anything and no matter who runs it the "fans" won't be happy.

STAR WARS is what happens when something that was never expected to be a huge hit actually becomes a huge hit.

It becomes very popular, so more and more back story is added to stretch things out. Sometimes when that happens, the story drifts away from the original intended vision. It's like adding water to thick soup. Next thing ya know, it's STAR WARS in name only.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; April 6, 2019 at 02:53pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Solo's biggest flaws were Disney competing with itself against other movies they made, in a cramped schedule that's pumping out new SW movies as fast as TV episodes, plus the fact it had to exist to fill a plot hole the prequels left as to why Han didn't know the Jedi were everywhere in his youth(a holdover from early ANH writing ideas that Lucas altered- initially he intended the clone wars to be much further back in history and the Jedi to be less of a big deal or major presence- just like how Vader and Anakin were initially separate people, yeah ANH in hindsight was retconned big time). It and TLJ are on Netflix... but nothing else and I've never seen the prequels, so much for binge watching the films in order.

I won't argue that TFA and TLJ have.... piles of issues. Kylo being evil because his parents neglected him is sloppy writing. Luke doing nothing whatsoever and failing to bring the Jedi back makes no sense. The Empire falling in short order seems iffy as even without Palpatine they still had the military might to hold out for a few years... EU often said 15-20 but I think even 3-5 would make more sense. Snoke seemed like a nothing character thrown in that they intended to flesh out at a later date(I would nitpick that he's a wrinkled, disfigured ugly old man in a bathrobe.... but so was Palpatine...). The producers make a big deal over the First Order being "evil white people"(then again so was the Empire from day one) yet Finn and Rose infiltrate in uniforms and no one thinks these 2 minority characters are not members? Apparently the First Order are as dumb as the Black Wings from Maplestory. That's without seeing the films.

Unfortunately the sheer number of actual bigots that have taken to attacking these films makes it much harder to critique them because you get lumped in with them by the defenders. When these alt-rightist loudmouths are known to sue people for disagreeing with them I'd rather not be associated with them at all, even accidentally. This is becoming the case for nearly every bit of media now, politics get shoved in and at times I suspect companies are forcing this controversy(Id Software certainly did manufacture hatred over Doom 4 & Eternal!) because it seems to be better advertising than anything they could buy- and even if the film bombs(I can think of no valid reason for Ghostbusters to have been made) they can still scream "we're under attack" while the opponents scream "white genocide because it exists", and I believe the MPAA actually wants these films to fail, so they can blame it on piracy(it seems all these flops lately magically have "high" piracy rates, go figure) just so they can sue it for ammo to push stricter copyright laws(be very concerned with this!).

I know the prequels have issues. They have plot holes and bad writing. Jar-Jar was so hated his actor almost committed suicide due to the backlash. They were merchandise commercials before stories and it shows. I spent 15 years listening to hatred of the prequels. That alone makes me wonder if Lucas doing the sequels would have generated just as much internet hate as we have now, but mostly for different reasons- not that the alt-right or SJWs wouldn't have latched onto it anyway.

I also wonder if Disney is snubbing Mark Hamill ON PURPOSE as his other major role is as the Joker, working for Disney's biggest long-term business rival, which he keeps going back to frequently. This actually would not surprise me.

Maybe it's time SW just died off and vanished, as at this point it's being used as a political battleground more than anything and no matter who runs it the "fans" won't be happy.
    Or instead of changing it to their own agenda Disney should have used George for some of his ideas not paying him as a "Consultant" but never actually getting him to consult or to say that over 30 years of story that was the EU is all crap I mean "Legends" now and Disney went WAY off the path of what Star Wars was because of their own nonchalant ways... I would have rather seen some of those cool EU stories than most of the "New" star Wars films that we got from Disney...

Okay, gang! One more time for those who must have missed it:

MOD NOTE:
    I want to remind everyone that it’s been requested that this thread maintain its focus on the upcoming movie. Naturally, the other films in the franchise will come into play, but rehashing opinions and ideas that do not actually pertain to Episode IX should be skipped.

There are dedicated threads for the other movies if you’re interested in commenting on them on their own merits. There are also threads active in the Tar Swamp if you wish to get into the political side of the discussion.

Thank you for cooperating with us in this!

Released today at Star Wars Celebration:

Not really digging the atmosphere and certainly not feeling the emotion I felt when I saw TFA trailer with reappearance of the Millenium Falcon, but I'm intrigued for Darth Sidious's last laugh...

EDIT: Mods, if you would like to add Episode IX title "Rise of the Skywalker" to the thread it would be appreciated
    Last edited by Rhanen; April 12, 2019 at 02:22pm.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

So.. what does everyone think of the trailer? Looks pretty good!

That scene with Rey versus the TIE Invader is pretty incredible. Plus more Lando? Luke narration? A bit more Leia?

Oh, and that Palpatine laugh at the end? What the heck? As someone who was pretty lukewarm on TLJ (I really enjoyed TFA) this seems like it could go in the right direction. We'll see.

I wonder what the Rise of Skywalker refers to? Rey being a Skywalker? Maybe now that the Jedi are over Rey's new branch call themselves Skywalkers? Maybe Ben is redeemed, continuing the family line?
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    So.. what does everyone think of the trailer? Looks pretty good!

That scene with Rey versus the TIE Invader is pretty incredible. Plus more Lando? Luke narration? A bit more Leia?

Oh, and that Palpatine laugh at the end? What the heck? As someone who was pretty lukewarm on TLJ (I really enjoyed TFA) this seems like it could go in the right direction. We'll see.

I wonder what the Rise of Skywalker refers to? Rey being a Skywalker? Maybe now that the Jedi are over Rey's new branch call themselves Skywalkers? Maybe Ben is redeemed, continuing the family line?
    I disdain TLJ with all my being, although, I'm a SW fan so I shall go to see this movie the first weekend of its premiere. Now, regarding this teaser, it does not create any hype or emotion as some prior teasers had done so in the past for other entries.

I'm more intrigued if Rey may be some sort of Palpatine's descendant, granddaughter as Ben is Vader's grandson, but title may be a bold proclamation of her true heritage
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

That was the least exciting SW trailer ever. I was happy to see Leia though. Confused by the title since they killed Skywalker off in the last one.

- - - Updated - - -

You know if they wanted to win back all of the fans that hated TLJ they really need to fix the mistakes. Make Rey a Skywalker. That is the only way her being good at everything, and becoming a Jedi with very little training, makes ANY sense. Was that the Emperor laughing at the end?!?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, my screen went bananas so I did not see any of the other posts between the trailer and mine until just now.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Just saw the trailer and it looks decent, and it looks like Disney is aware of how much they upset the fanbase (when Johnson destroyed the Skywalker legacy in TLJ) by including an affirmation with Skywalker in the title of the film May as well title the movie Star Wars: The Apology Tour I didn't know how to feel about Rey dueling a Tie Fighter (Mary Sue instantly popped into my head) But, hopefully this movie will fix the mess the last one made and Star Wars movies can have a new hope now.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    That was the least exciting SW trailer ever. I was happy to see Leia though. Confused by the title since they killed Skywalker off in the last one.

- - - Updated - - -

You know if they wanted to win back all of the fans that hated TLJ they really need to fix the mistakes. Make Rey a Skywalker. That is the only way her being good at everything, and becoming a Jedi with very little training, makes ANY sense. Was that the Emperor laughing at the end?!?
    It definitely sounds like the Emperor, plus I think the laugh comes shortly after the line "nothing really ever dies."

Well, Luke is narrating the trailer, so he's definitely still around in some fashion. To be honest, I think Luke's death still leaves a huge opening for the character to be a major player. I still don't know that I think Rey "needs" to be a Skywalker although I do want her to have a bit more significance and still believe that Kylo Ren lied to her in TLJ. I'm OK with her being naturally attuned to the force as her whole life as a scavenger has sort of been training. Not that Luke or Anakin's lives were easy, but they grew up with regular meals in some degree of civilization with a legitimate parental figure. Of all the issues with the ST, Rey's abilities concern me the least. Her lineage does intrigue me, though.

I'm really hoping this film gives us a better picture of what's happening in the wider galaxy. Some of the New Canon novels have done this but overall the ST hasn't quite felt like it has established its place in the galaxy the way the PT did. Maybe bringing Palpatine will help to do that? To be honest, I'd love to see more Force Spirits, but good and evil appear!
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

This doesn't look half bad to me. I might actually catch this one in theaters.
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg

I liked the trailer. It wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad. It gives me hope that it'll be much better than TLJ.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

this movie will kinda suk too and more that half movie goers will be so damn upset again
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

So, WTF does Rise of Skywalker mean?

Is Rey a Skywalker, which I think she should be, but that's just me. Or is it Ren finally coming to the light side. I dunno, I still think they are related.

And can I get a hell yes no Rose in the previews??!!???? Lets hope she doesn't come back around.

Was that scene with Leia from TFA? After Han died?

Smile like you mean it.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    And can I get a hell yes no Rose in the previews??!!???? Lets hope she doesn't come back around.
    I believe she is in the movie. From what I heard, she appeared on stage at the event at Star Wars Celebration where they were talking about the new movie and showed the trailer at the end.

Was that scene with Leia from TFA? After Han died?
    It would appear that it is a "new" scene for this movie. While Rey's costume throughout this trailer resembles what she wore in TFA, her new costume is white instead of the tan or whatever that she had in the earlier movie. She is wearing the white costume when she hugs Leia in the trailer.

I made a comment on another forum after the trailer dropped saying that I hope Leia isn't CGI like they did in Rogue One with Grand Moff Tarkin and the brief part with young Leia since they were still noticeably CGI (on occasion Tarkin did look pretty real, but not consistently so IMO). Someone replied saying that supposed the people behind the film have said that they are not recreating her via CGI. Take that with a grain of salt, as I haven't looked up any specific sources myself.

But if it is true, then I figure it has to be something roughly along the lines of the following...

-Maybe they filmed a few things with he before she died that were meant for this movie? I doubt this mostly because they didn't even have a script for this film when they made TLJ, and it would seem odd that they would make it a point to film anything specifically with her, but I'll keep it as a slight, all be it highly unlikely possibility.

What I think is more likely is they could be using extra footage that was shot but not actually used in the previous films. For something like Rey hugging her, maybe is was an alternate take of when they hugged in TFA, but they digitally edited it so give Rey her current costume, or something akin to this. This way it would mean that Leia is not CGI, but there is no "rule" about using that technology to take actual footage of her and edit it into the movie. Maybe they can somehow build dialog for this new movie around cut dialogue of hers from the previous films.... or maybe they'll get a good sound alike to voice her over. This is all speculation on my part, but it would make the most sense.

Ugh, you bring me great sadness, if Rose is in the movie.

I could see them using bits and pieces from previous films to put Leia in the new one.

Smile like you mean it.