Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Answers to Fan Q&A 3.17

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it until the day Super7 Officially announces they won't be producing any more Collectors Choice figures.

For all we know they are quietly planning the next wave of Collectors choice figures but don't want to comment on anything yet because the next thing on their list is Snake Mountain.
    I submitted a question for this round, it was not picked but somehow answered when they said Snake Mountain is the follow-up to William Stout Collection. I was asking if there will be another wave of CC figures this year. After reading they don't have anything planned for CC beyond SM I understood the answer to my question was "No (and may be you won't see any more CC at all)". Now you you state what is quoted above, so I respectfully ask what's your source for that info? And if you have such an info, when can we expect next CC wave of characters?
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    I submitted a question for this round, it was not picked but somehow answered when they said Snake Mountain is the follow-up to William Stout Collection. I was asking if there will be another wave of CC figures this year. After reading they don't have anything planned for CC beyond SM I understood the answer to my question was "No (and may be you won't see any more CC at all)". Now you you state what is quoted above, so I respectfully ask what's your source for that info? And if you have such an info, when can we expect next CC wave of characters?
    It is likely due to the upcoming film, as Brian Flynn indicated as much from the recent Toy Power Podcast. It's in the Fan Art/Media section, you'll find why folks speculate that Classics/Club Grayskull might not continue. There's nothing definitive, at this point in time it's more like "let's wait and see", so fingers crossed the lines continue .

Side note, email me as the Wave 3 figures finally came in .
    Last edited by Shecky; April 3, 2019 at 03:14pm.

Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    No source it's just my personal opinion. I don't read too much into whats said simply because we have no Idea who's answering the questions. The person posting info for Super7's FB page has had to apologize twice for giving out incorrect info so for me until there is an official statement from Brian Flynn stating Collectors Choice is finished i'm not going to worry about it.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

No source it's just my personal opinion. I don't read too much into whats said simply because we have no Idea who's answering the questions. The person posting info for Super7's FB page has had to apologize twice for giving out incorrect info so for me until there is an official statement from Brian Flynn stating Collectors Choice is finished i'm not going to worry about it.
    Ok, fair enough, thanks.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Looks like I'm the only one who thinks this is great news that CC may not continue after snake mountain. I don't need all these d and e list characters to complete my collection, save from Filmation my classics collection has been complete for about a year now. You can judge me all you want but I have supported this line in that I have every classics publicly available I have supported this line right from the beginning but am tired of paying for characters I don't care about. I hope cc is done but they continue with the main characters from Filmation. Although we do need mini comic Tri Klops.

Quote Originally Posted by Arek Brimstone View Post
    That last answer about the lack of certainty of the continuation of Classics beyond Snake Mountain saddens me.
    I see where you're coming from, but I actually wouldn't mind it if Snake Mountain was positioned as an official grand finale to the line. We'd be going out on a (very) high note and, also, I'd rather get a proper sendoff like this rather than suffer through one of those ambiguous stretches of time with no announcement followed by a half-hearted acknowledgment buried twelve paragraphs down in an interview that the line was, in fact, quietly cancelled 6 months ago (like most lines seem to end). Not to mention that I have an entire WALL of my home populated with MOTU Classics figures. It's like, how many do I need?!

I'd gladly take more figures but I'm also good with wrapping it up now if that's what needs to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Ham View Post
    I see where you're coming from, but I actually wouldn't mind it if Snake Mountain was positioned as an official grand finale to the line.
    Yeah, that's why I was trying to be purposefully muted in my sadness (not sure I succeeded). If it is the end, I am not mad or outraged or anything...just sad that it is ending. I've loved this line from the get-go, and ending on SM (if that is the case) is a great way to go out, I agree! But I'd still be saddened to see it end, if that indeed be the case.

I would need just 1 more figure to let CC rest in peace: Sagitar I thought it was the year for this figure, but now seems like it won't be made in Classics.

When Castle Grayskull was released, I was happy to see it come, but I didn't have the budget to buy it. However, it didn't bother me because Castle Grayskull didn't take the slot of any regular or oversized character. The approach of S7 is different, they seem to consider Snake Mountain as a CC wave on its own. Also seems like this huge playset has taken so much effort and budget that CC figures have been really scarce for the last year or so (and to this date we haven't seen any original character released in CC for quite a long time). My point is, if SM is the last item of the line, it's just for those privileged collectors that can afford it, while a wave of figures would have been a more accesible/democratic grand finale.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Looks like I'm the only one who thinks this is great news that CC may not continue after snake mountain. I don't need all these d and e list characters to complete my collection, save from Filmation my classics collection has been complete for about a year now. You can judge me all you want but I have supported this line in that I have every classics publicly available I have supported this line right from the beginning but am tired of paying for characters I don't care about. I hope cc is done but they continue with the main characters from Filmation. Although we do need mini comic Tri Klops.
    You realize you don’t have to buy anything you don’t want to, right?
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

Heroic Warrior
    If 80's properties are hotter now than ever then why did Mattel tease us with continuing Thundercats Classics at SDCC and tell us to let Mattel know we want this and then Show nothing For Thundercats at Toy Fair not even a place card saying coming soon. In fact Mattel had the worst booth of all toy fair. So many people left Mattel that would have worked on these. In fact Mattel is not doing well Financially and there was an article two months ago where it was stated because Mattel suffered a major Financial loss one Quarter that they planned on letting a lot of Mattel Employees go throughout the company.
    You kind of answered your own question. The fault of Mattel's financial woes and their lack of ongoing product was with Mattel and Mattel only. There was no lack of enthusiasm for the Thundercats line from the fan base. Hell, Mattel did show off Jaga and Grune, which were supposed to be in the first wave, only to do nothing with them. None of the other companies producing product related to the 80's seem to be having the issues that Mattel is having, and that includes Super 7.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, that's why I was trying to be purposefully muted in my sadness (not sure I succeeded). If it is the end, I am not mad or outraged or anything...just sad that it is ending. I've loved this line from the get-go, and ending on SM (if that is the case) is a great way to go out, I agree! But I'd still be saddened to see it end, if that indeed be the case.
    I agree. I'm going to be sad when it ends no matter what. Even if all they have left to make are villagers that appeared for 5 seconds in a filmation episode, I'll still be sad when it ends It's my favorite toy property ever, and collecting it again and getting all this amazing new product has been a blast. Even with such an expansive collection, I'll still be sad to not have the new figures to collect.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    I agree. I'm going to be sad when it ends no matter what. Even if all they have left to make are villagers that appeared for 5 seconds in a filmation episode, I'll still be sad when it ends It's my favorite toy property ever, and collecting it again and getting all this amazing new product has been a blast. Even with such an expansive collection, I'll still be sad to not have the new figures to collect.
    I completely agree! After 11 years of this line, it's something I don't want to let go! I'd be more than happy to buy some villagers to keep it going! If it appeared in media, give it!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

We don;t know that the line is ending. I mean, the answer might just be taken out of context-We will see after Snake Mountain. Just like it has been for 11 years---wait and see.

If the movie is made, why would Super 7 have to stop making CC figures? Mattel could make the Motu movie figures and Super 7 could still have the separate line since they would be so different (Or am I missing something).

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    If the movie is made, why would Super 7 have to stop making CC figures? Mattel could make the Motu movie figures and Super 7 could still have the separate line since they would be so different (Or am I missing something).
    Agree, the movie has nothing to do with continuing the classics collection, it can coexist at the same time. Mattel can easily cater the retail store toys and promotional stuff for the movie if it ever gets made, while Super7 can just do their thing with classics.

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    We don;t know that the line is ending. I mean, the answer might just be taken out of context-We will see after Snake Mountain. Just like it has been for 11 years---wait and see.
    Agree. It is just speculation based on a vague answer at the moment.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Again, refer to the Toy Power Podcast where Brian Flynn stated the powers that be would generally not want any licensed product out up to a year before the film is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Again, refer to the Toy Power Podcast where Brian Flynn stated the powers that be would generally not want any licensed product out up to a year before the film is released.
    The good news is, the way Brian was talking in that interview he made it seem like the movie was definitely happening soon. I will happily sacrifice a year of toys if that meant the movie will actually happen.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    The good news is, the way Brian was talking in that interview he made it seem like the movie was definitely happening soon. I will happily sacrifice a year of toys if that meant the movie will actually happen.
    Uh...yeah. They start filming this summer (apparently...though I can't find the article now that said that). They've already apparently cast Prince Adam, even.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03...is-prince-adam

I'm not so stoked about the writers, though, whose stellar performances include Transformers: Last Knight and Punisher: War Zone....

Uh...yeah. They start filming this summer (apparently...though I can't find the article now that said that). They've already apparently cast Prince Adam, even.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03...is-prince-adam

I'm not so stoked about the writers, though, whose stellar performances include Transformers: Last Knight and Punisher: War Zone....
    I just assumed it was another internet rumor. Still not 100% convinced this movie is happening, though it does seem like something might actually be in the works this time around.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

It doesn't automatically mean that S7 would have to stop making them, but a successful movie quickly changes the calculus of an IP's value. Knowing that Sony would have to make a film before 2020, or lose the rights to MOTU, I am guessing there is some type of re-evaluation or deadline on many of the IP licenses that Mattel and Classics Media have issued. If MOTU blows up, as a property, Mattel is going to want to make the lionshare of direct profit on all the items related to the IP. Either through direct manufacture and sale, or through licensing, as they do now. As the value of the IP license would increase, naturally the interest in obtaining the license would also. So it is just good business sense for Mattel to not extend a license in perpetuity, but revisit the contract on a certain timeline relative to large, potentially impactful, marketplace events...like a big budget movie from a major studio.

This does not mean S7 automatically loses the license, but I would bet that the asking price increases significantly, at which point Brian might just walk away because it woud be untenable to continue. I suspect that is why he taking the current MOTUC buck and manufacturing relationship and applying it to other non-Mattel licenses,in preparation for a possible future without MOTU. But that all of this is pure speculation on my part.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    This does not mean S7 automatically loses the license, but I would bet that the asking price increases significantly, at which point Brian might just walk away because it woud be untenable to continue. I suspect that is why he taking the current MOTUC buck and manufacturing relationship and applying it to other non-Mattel licenses,in preparation for a possible future without MOTU. But that all of this is pure speculation on my part.
    My thoughts exactly!
    I found it quite suspect that, all of a sudden, he decides to use the "winning formula" of our beloved line
    to developp a certain amount of nostalgic properties...
    Besides, customers might be even more excited with the idea of combining multiverses as that concept
    seems pretty hot these days.
    I'm not even talking about the subliminal effect (Motuc specter sticks around!Lol).
    Last edited by OnlyOneSkeletor; April 4, 2019 at 04:24pm.
    NEW ALBUM "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

...I suspect that is why [Super 7 is] taking the current MOTUC buck and manufacturing relationship and applying it to other non-Mattel licenses,in preparation for a possible future without MOTU. But that all of this is pure speculation on my part.
    Nailed it. As soon as I saw those Toxie, Ren & Stimpy and Voltron prototypes as well as the TMNT tease, the writing was on the wall for me. Super 7 is OBVIOUSLY planning for a post-MOTU business model to become a reality sooner than later. Not saying that's definitely gonna happen, but it makes total business sense to have that contingency in place.

ReAction Master
    Are these Q&As devoted to Classics only? I hope future question-choosers will remember to throw a bone to ReAction and 5.5 fans every once in a while.

Heroic Warrior
    It doesn't automatically mean that S7 would have to stop making them, but a successful movie quickly changes the calculus of an IP's value. Knowing that Sony would have to make a film before 2020, or lose the rights to MOTU, I am guessing there is some type of re-evaluation or deadline on many of the IP licenses that Mattel and Classics Media have issued. If MOTU blows up, as a property, Mattel is going to want to make the lionshare of direct profit on all the items related to the IP. Either through direct manufacture and sale, or through licensing, as they do now. As the value of the IP license would increase, naturally the interest in obtaining the license would also. So it is just good business sense for Mattel to not extend a license in perpetuity, but revisit the contract on a certain timeline relative to large, potentially impactful, marketplace events...like a big budget movie from a major studio.

Wow. I think your speculation is on point in every way!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Should they eventually go that route, I would love Filmation's Ghostbusters or Bravestarr figures in MOTUC style.