Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminator: Dark Fate

Quote Originally Posted by HE-FAN79 View Post
    I have T2 on laser disc. Loved that movie and saw it in theaters. T1 I saw on vhs back in the day. Trailer feels like a good combo of both... hopefully it will be good. I remember the trailer to Terminator Salvation looked good but heard it wasn't
    I saw Terminator on HBO when i was 4 when it debuted on HBO and one of the first R-rated films and i saw T2 in theaters when i was 10 years old as i had some toys, a backback, lunchbox and all as they marketed the movie to kids and all.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I don't like Time Travel movies and I am not a huge fan of Terminator but I just can't understand why a company would out rightly make a film that destroys the time travel story of the movie franchise.

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    In my 40 years I have never seen anything like what is going on right now in Entertainment.
    That's because in the past social commentary was heavily veiled behind competent and engrossing storylines. This allowed writers the ability to subtly insert contemporarily relevant themes into the narrative which, more often than not, were engrossing and in service to the greater story.

These days there is no pretense of subtlety, and the approach is reversed. The story in its entirety is all too often in service of, and secondary to, the social commentary. When a series is built upon the premis of preaching first and storytelling second you get what we have now; Lazy, preachy, plot hole laden, often canonically inconsistent nonsense which makes suspension of disbelief nigh impossible.

The best thing to do, if you don't like this type of content, is simply don't support it in any form. More and more people are doing so everyday, and it is having an effect.

In my 40 years I have never seen anything like what is going on right now in Entertainment.
    The Agenda are always ******* me off greatly, putting Storyline as an after thought are always tiresome for me, Look at Power Rangers for god sake.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I don't like Time Travel movies and I am not a huge fan of Terminator but I just can't understand why a company would out rightly make a film that destroys the time travel story of the movie franchise.
    What about Back to the Future trilogy? the first two Terminator movies are the only ones worth a note.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    That's because in the past social commentary was heavily veiled behind competent and engrossing storylines. This allowed writers the ability to subtly insert contemporarily relevant themes into the narrative which, more often than not, were engrossing and in service to the greater story.

These days there is no pretense of subtlety, and the approach is reversed. The story in its entirety is all too often in service of, and secondary to, the social commentary. When a series is built upon the premis of preaching first and storytelling second you get what we have now; Lazy, preachy, plot hole laden, often canonically inconsistent nonsense which makes suspension of disbelief nigh impossible.

The best thing to do, if you don't like this type of content, is simply don't support it in any form. More and more people are doing so everyday, and it is having an effect.
    I agree with this 100%. I vote with my wallet. It takes an act of God for me to go to the theater. I do not buy DVDs. I do not have cable and I canceled all of my streaming services (except Vudu which allows me to pick and choose what I want to pay for). When I was younger I was enamored with Hollywood and everything it churned out. Now I find myself really shielding myself and my family from their garbage. I do not want my kids growing up thinking these are people to idolize or emulate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    The Agenda are always ******* me off greatly, putting Storyline as an after thought are always tiresome for me, Look at Power Rangers for god sake.
    It really is awful when my nine year old son rolls his eyes and points it out. I allowed them to watch The Last Jedi with zero commentary from me (hubs and I watched it before we let them) and my son was SO mad about the movie.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

It really is awful when my nine year old son rolls his eyes and points it out. I allowed them to watch The Last Jedi with zero commentary from me (hubs and I watched it before we let them) and my son was SO mad about the movie.
    Power Rangers? I guess Walter (Black Ranger) and David Yost (Blue Ranger) were right about all generation of people preferred to watch the original series and the main movie. I can get the silliness but Agenda.... psshhhh, I mean if they could go around writing with a perfect backstory of it I wouldn't mind at all, but all of those are just an after thought.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Power Rangers? I guess Walter (Black Ranger) and David Yost (Blue Ranger) were right about all generation of people preferred to watch the original series and the main movie. I can get the silliness but Agenda.... psshhhh, I mean if they could go around writing with a perfect backstory of it I wouldn't mind at all, but all of those are just an after thought.
    We watched the new one and I was not impressed. I am not a really big PR fan though, I always preferred Voltron!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

We watched the new one and I was not impressed. I am not a really big PR fan though, I always preferred Voltron!
    I love the first one, It got me through: American Teenage Life in the 90's, What Heavy Metal suppose to sound, If you have an outsider.... that doesn't mean you shouldn't socialize but improve yourself and the self esteem to empowered yourself, There's always someone behind you through the hard times. I learned that a lot in MMPR. Fun Fact, The Malaysia Government isn't too pleased with the word Morphin in the title.

Funny thing about Voltron from my lovable childhood. I grew up with an Asthma condition, And my father figure/uncle take care of me when I was 3 to 6 so he would bring me to the traditional massage houses. After I've done with the massage I went down to the kitchen/living room like places I watched the Voltron transformation on screen and I was like "WHOOAAAHHH". it turns out that Voltron version was the Japanese version. so by the time I grow up with all of this unlimited cyber milky way I couldn't find anything on Youtube because they would show the American version of the series. Sadly, I never saw that clip again in 28 years. I think it was Voltron but I'm glad we Malaysian have the access on Japanese version of any series.
    Last edited by Fendi; June 21, 2019 at 09:45am.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Fun Fact, The Malaysia Government isn't too pleased with the word Morphin in the title.
    How come?

I never watched PR until I used to baby sit in high school. All of the kids I baby sat loved it. I took them to the movie with Ivan Ooze.

How come?

I never watched PR until I used to baby sit in high school. All of the kids I baby sat loved it. I took them to the movie with Ivan Ooze.
    During the 90's we were having War on Drugs. I mean it was crazy, I'm not exaggerate but every 500 meters on the road in the town where I was grown there was like Anti-Drugs banner or advertisement along the road. Those days were brutal because one minor offense can get you a lot of troubles. The funniest one that I look back into it that they would use Skulls as a symbol of lethal drug offense or overdose.

I watched the movie with Ivan Ooze, that one was one of my favorite movie as a kid, minus the blockbuster hollywood thingy of course. To make it better? I have a neighbor (Yes, Have, I still keep contact with those folks), who have Super Famicom consoles like I do and we would go to their house and play MMPR Movie game. I adore the game so much that I found an SPC files to replay those in game soundtracks on Mp3 player.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Oh wow, that is interesting. Right now we have a HUGE problem with drugs here in the US. My home town is so effected that I cannot go a day without seeing a friend or family member post about an over dose. My cousin's wife died from a bad batch of heroin. If you ever met her you would have never thought she would do drugs. I live five hours away from there, but even the little farming towns here in WNY are being hit. A kid just ODed in the bathroom of my high school. Our graduating class was under 100 people, so it is a tiny school out in cow town.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What about Back to the Future trilogy? the first two Terminator movies are the only ones worth a note.
    The are okay, but I just am not keen on time travel stories as most of them just end up contradicting the story.

I'm open to the new film even if it looks a little SJW-ish. Although the last good [best:-)] Terminator film was made in 1991.
    Bringing back Linda Hamilton gives the film the credibility it needs/deserves, but at this point the last one and this one look like overkill CGI fest remakes of T2.
    How many times can we send back a Terminator to prevent something >?
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I found it interesting that James Cameron said he never considered Terminator to be a 'Time Travel' movie. That was just fluff to set up the story and maybe be a little unique... but in his mind it was basically an unstoppable slasher flick like Jason Vorhees or Michael myers. The unrelenting killer who can't be stopped and can't be bargained with who you're only chance is to run away and hope to live.

The sequels leaned into it a lot harder as they went on... but at it's core Terminator was less Sci-fi and more 'horror'.

Personally I think what they should do... is STOP having a 'Good guy' Terminator. Go back to the prey vs. Hunter mentality and keep the humans as a vast underdog. I loved T2, but I do feel that having a super bodyguard has had seriously diminishing returns...

And I LOVE Time Travel movies... but I'd still like to get back to basics.

I'm a HUGE Power Rangers fan, although many of the later seasons never aired here, so I have them all on Netflix and am doing a nightly PR marathon right now to relive favourite episodes from the past that I grew up with and see the seasons I haven't seen for the first time. I love all three of the PR movies as well, including the new one with Naomi Scott from Aladdin.

One of the things I love best in the PR franchise is the equality and diversity in the cast and characters, and the social justice aspects which is always a huge draw for me.
    Last edited by Mikey; June 21, 2019 at 10:11pm.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I found it interesting that James Cameron said he never considered Terminator to be a 'Time Travel' movie. That was just fluff to set up the story and maybe be a little unique... but in his mind it was basically an unstoppable slasher flick like Jason Vorhees or Michael myers. The unrelenting killer who can't be stopped and can't be bargained with who you're only chance is to run away and hope to live.

The sequels leaned into it a lot harder as they went on... but at it's core Terminator was less Sci-fi and more 'horror'.

Personally I think what they should do... is STOP having a 'Good guy' Terminator. Go back to the prey vs. Hunter mentality and keep the humans as a vast underdog. I loved T2, but I do feel that having a super bodyguard has had seriously diminishing returns...

I love the more horror tone of the first movie. The great thing about the second is how the tone is changed to a full on action movie. If you don't focus to much on the time travel aspect they are really enjoyable movies. I dont think their is much else they can do with the franchise other than repeating the same basic story again and again.

I'm kind of amazed this franchise keeps getting rebooted. The last 3 movies have been box office disappointments. This looks like a 4th one.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'm kind of amazed this franchise keeps getting rebooted. The last 3 movies have been box office disappointments. This looks like a 4th one.
    I think the problem is that fans love the characters and the story, but Hollyweird keeps fudging it up. If they would just stick with what made the first two movies great I do not think they would flop. Sadly, you have people in charge of these things that are not fans. That do not know canon. They just hear cha ching cha ching cha ching.

Heroic Warrior
    Remember the endless Police Academy sequels , its not like we needed 7 (!) of them so this is nothing new........Id rather a new Conan like the first movie but Arnie is old now
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    Remember the endless Police Academy sequels , its not like we needed 7 (!) of them so this is nothing new........Id rather a new Conan like the first movie but Arnie is old now
    Slight difference with Police Academy was at least they had some what original ideas for each movie to tell them apart.

I heard they are planning on doing another Arnie Conan with him as a king some what like the end credits scene at the end of the first movie. Although I heard the comic rights to Conan now belong to Marvel so maybe they will have different plans for the character...maybe he will show up in the MCU.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the problem is that fans love the characters and the story, but Hollyweird keeps fudging it up. If they would just stick with what made the first two movies great I do not think they would flop. Sadly, you have people in charge of these things that are not fans. That do not know canon. They just hear cha ching cha ching cha ching.
    I think the problem is that after the second one, the way it ended, their really just wasn't a need for sequels.
    But who knows maybe we could all be wrong and the movie may actually be good. At least Linda Hamilton is back along with Arnie for this movie.
    But I can't help but think it's just another nostalgia cash grab.

Heroic Warrior
    I predict it will be average or on same level as T3 but we shall see.......
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    I predict it will be average or on same level as T3 but we shall see.......
    I believe it will be slightly better than T3 for sure. if they could top Judgment day then it is a divine intervention.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Heroic Warrior

The problem in my opinion... is that there is no story to tell.

They weren't written with sequels being possible. In the first movie Reese comes back through the portal just as Connor blows it up. Time Travel is done... The War is over. Humans win. Killing John's momma was a last ditch effort to rewrite history... but the war was over.

The sequel comes along and convieniently forgets that... and then ends with all the tech being destroyed and Skynet never happening. The future is clear and bright and humanity wins. (Ironically a twist on the 'Go back to the beginning and stop your enemy from existing' that T1 was trying to do...

Everything after that... more and more jumps through hoops to justify their own existance without any reason to exist... the story was told and they closed the loop...

It's kind of the same problem that Highlander had. H3 wasn't a bad movie... it did the best it could with the way the first one ended, But the rest SUCK... Each movie has to routinely ignore MASSIVE chunks of vital continuity and canon to exist... and it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

Interestingly, this is what Megan Ellison wanted to do with the Terminator rights. She wanted to make a very indie, R-rated Terminator. Her brother convinced her to give him the rights because he felt it should go "bigger", and that's how we got Genysis.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX