Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminator: Dark Fate

To be fair Terminator 1 and 2 were at the time seen as Scwarzenegger vehicles and he was the focus of reviews, for the most part. Most of the Alien reviews would point out that Ripley's part was originally written as a male character and much was made of Jenete Goldstein's macho marine Vasquez in Aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    To me, nothing will ever recapture the vibe of the original film. They have felt over produced since then. This doesn’t look much better than the last one.
    Excellent, this statement can be applied to any new entry in an old franchise (Terminator, Alien, Predator, RoboCop, Nightmare, Halloween, Friday 13th, Rocky, Rambo, etc) or any upcoming remake
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    This whole 'strong female lead' phrasing is so SJW. When the Aliens films or even T1/2 were in their prime we never referred to Sarah Connor OR Ellen Ripley as strong female leads. What they were/are is great characters. We don't need to shoehorn that phrase in there to remind everyone that this is a woman in the role. If the story is good that's what matters. They are amazingly powerful characters and that comes from their fantastic yet believable performances and the good writing that went into developing the characters.
    I still don't see that being a social justice warrior is a negative thing, I wear that badge with pride. Unfortunately, women are not yet fully equal in Hollywood (look at the differences in star salaries for one thing) and women need to know they are just as good as men and should be treated as equals.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Heroic Warrior
    This whole Terminator 5 situation is pretty devastating. When they announced the movie and who will be in it or directing it, I was all over the moon.

James Cameron producing - that is never a bad thing
    Tim Miller directing - after the first Deadpool I thought that was great news.
    Linda Hamilton returning - Hell yes!
    Edward Furlong returning - finally!
    Gabriel Luna - I really like his Ghost Rider in AoS so count me in on that!
    Arnold - you need him at this point in a Terminator movie so I am glad he is in.
    and Mackienzie Davis - probably one of the best new talents Hollywood has found. She was fantastic in Halt and Catch Fire (probably one of my most favourite TV-shows of all time and unfortunately widely unknown), San Junipero is in my top 3 Black Mirror episodes, her little role in Blade Runner and The Martian was really good.

Then the trailer dropped... man this movie looks like utter garbage. And it doesn't help when the director comes out and labels a part of the Fanbase as misogynists just because.
    Summer Glau was a really good female Terminator and even Kristanna Loken wasn't that bad, but why do we have to play this game of "yeah that has never been done before" when the TV-show already had 2 strong female leads? I am also not sure if this improves the situation for actresses in Hollywood when a lot of those "strong female" movies bomb hard.

Sorry, but you can't always blame a movie, book, or album for not doing well. Sometimes it is hard-to-please so-called "fans" or those against the idea of progress who are just too hard to please. I'm not saying that's always the case, but you can't deny it's the truth in quite a few cases.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Sorry, but you can't always blame a movie, book, or album for not doing well. Sometimes it is hard-to-please so-called "fans" or those against the idea of progress who are just too hard to please. I'm not saying that's always the case, but you can't deny it's the truth in quite a few cases.
    Can you give an example of any of these cases?

I can only be subjective here and say that many movies I've loved were - in my opinion - unfairly panned by critics, reviews, and fans who were not accepting of new ideas. Halle Berry's Catwoman for instance was - again in my opinion - a very good movie that people panned right from the beginning and it wasn't allowed to achieve on it's own merits just because Patience Phillips was Catwoman, and not Selina Kyle. It would be like saying John Stewart couldn't be Green Lantern, Wally West couldn't be The Flash, Ryan Choi couldn't be The Atom, Cassandra Cain can't be Batgirl, Carrie Kelley can't be Robin, Terry McGinnis can't be Batman and so on. Some people are just resistant against new ideas and it really isn't fair.

I can only be subjective here and say that many movies I've loved were - in my opinion - unfairly panned by critics, reviews, and fans who were not accepting of new ideas. Halle Berry's Catwoman for instance was - again in my opinion - a very good movie that people panned right from the beginning and it wasn't allowed to achieve on it's own merits just because Patience Phillips was Catwoman, and not Selina Kyle. It would be like saying John Stewart couldn't be Green Lantern, Wally West couldn't be The Flash, Ryan Choi couldn't be The Atom, Cassandra Cain can't be Batgirl, Carrie Kelley can't be Robin, Terry McGinnis can't be Batman and so on. Some people are just resistant against new ideas and it really isn't fair.
    But that is a DC film and you have to admit you are somewhat biased with DC and Disney movies. Most fans of movies can usually step back and admit some of the various faults with the movies.
    I have only seen bits of the Catwoman movie but I can understand why people had issues with it and wouldn't say critics were unfair to pan it. The movie was so bad it won a Razzie. Halle Berry though did a pretty classy thing by showing up and collecting her award which was pretty cool of her.
    I have used this example before but Ghostbusters 2016 is an abomination and completely deserving of all poor reviews.
    But there are other movies I hate that critics love like The Last Jedi and The Usual Suspects.
    But when the cast and crew get involved to anger the fans it's not a good idea...unless they want an excuse for why their movie flops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    But that is a DC film and you have to admit you are somewhat biased with DC and Disney movies. Most fans of movies can usually step back and admit some of the various faults with the movies.
    I have only seen bits of the Catwoman movie but I can understand why people had issues with it and wouldn't say critics were unfair to pan it. The movie was so bad it won a Razzie. Halle Berry though did a pretty classy thing by showing up and collecting her award which was pretty cool of her.
    I have used this example before but Ghostbusters 2016 is an abomination and completely deserving of all poor reviews.
    But there are other movies I hate that critics love like The Last Jedi and The Usual Suspects.
    But when the cast and crew get involved to anger the fans it's not a good idea...unless they want an excuse for why their movie flops.
    Catwoman was NOT a bad movie in my opinion, it was just different. I can't criticise something when I feel I have nothing to criticise it for. I'm not being biased here, even though it's DC, I'm sure I would have loved the story and the characters. It was enjoyable and I watch it frequently. I haven't seen the new Ghostbusters, mostly because I'm NOT a Melissa McCarthy fan (I find her tendency for gross humour very tasteless and off-putting), and I'm not a Ghostbusters fan really.

Catwoman was NOT a bad movie in my opinion, it was just different. I can't criticise something when I feel I have nothing to criticise it for. I'm not being biased here, even though it's DC, I'm sure I would have loved the story and the characters. It was enjoyable and I watch it frequently. I haven't seen the new Ghostbusters, mostly because I'm NOT a Melissa McCarthy fan (I find her tendency for gross humour very tasteless and off-putting), and I'm not a Ghostbusters fan really.
    I honestly can't believe Ghostbusters 2016 didn't win any Razzies. My only guess would be they didn't dragged into being insulted by the cast and crew. I would rather watch Catwoman compared to Ghostbusters.

I would never say Catwoman was "rubbish", it's actually quite stylish and entertaining if you give it a chance.

I would never say Catwoman was "rubbish", it's actually quite stylish and entertaining if you give it a chance.
    I used rubbish out of politeness, Halle used a shorter word LOL. I might watch it fully sometime.

Again, nothing wrong with strong female leads. Once the advertising is over, the movie will speak for itself. Bring on the SJW... or lack thereof. I'm there in November.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Cat Woman is a dumpster fire of a movie. Anyone else would have had their career ruined by it. Glad Halle got out unscathed. Why are we talking about that horrible movie in a thread dedicated to the Terminator franchise? Even the worst Terminator movie is not that bad!

On topic: I am re-watching The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I am not sure it was a great show, but it was much more entertaining than some of the sequels. Re-watching it I am not a fan of Lena Headly as Sarah. She plays her very one dimension-ally. I know she did not have a whole lot to base her character on, but I think Sarah should be a little more loving to John.

I do not mind the character of Cameron, but her attempts to seduce John are pretty creepy. We are meant to believe that he was in love with the human she is modeled after. Does he fall in love with the human girl naturally or because he has this weird history with her robot replacement?!?
    Last edited by Uki; August 3, 2019 at 10:40am. Reason: Off-Topic
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Mod-Note: everyone needs to know that this constant off-topic, politicized bickering details threads and has no place outside of the Tar Swamp.

Please keep ALL discussion on-topic and respectful of others’ opinions, ideologies, etc.

Also, if you don not care to continue reading what others share, remember the handy “Ignore Feature.”

UPDATE: if you feel the need to continue engaging one another in such discussions, please take it to PMs, where the conversation will not further derail the forum discussion. I have cleaned up the thread, “terminating” the off-topic political squabbling. Please don’t make me start throwing out infractions, Terminator Fans!
    Last edited by Uki; August 3, 2019 at 10:46am.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Cat Woman is a dumpster fire of a movie. Anyone else would have had their career ruined by it. Glad Halle got out unscathed. Why are we talking about that horrible movie in a thread dedicated to the Terminator franchise? Even the worst Terminator movie is not that bad!

On topic: I am re-watching The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I am not sure it was a great show, but it was much more entertaining than some of the sequels. Re-watching it I am not a fan of Lena Headly as Sarah. She plays her very one dimension-ally. I know she did not have a whole lot to base her character on, but I think Sarah should be a little more loving to John.

I do not mind the character of Cameron, but her attempts to seduce John are pretty creepy. We are meant to believe that he was in love with the human she is modeled after. Does he fall in love with the human girl naturally or because he has this weird history with her robot replacement?!?
    So how does Sarah Connor Chronicles time line work alongside the movies?

I wonder if it's true about Furlong being in Dark Fate. I read that it's just his likeness being used through CGI onto another actor like Princess Leia in Rogue One.
    Last edited by Mark M; August 3, 2019 at 02:37pm.

I wonder if it's true about Furlong being in Dark Fate. I read that it's just his likeness being used through CGI onto another actor like Princess Leia in Rogue One.
    I don't think Furlong would ever been into the movie industry anymore, I look at his look nowadays and it's even sadder than what happened to Amy Winehouse.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    I don't think Furlong would ever been into the movie industry anymore, I look at his look nowadays and it's even sadder than what happened to Amy Winehouse.
    It's quite sad the way things turned out for him.

Mod-Note: Please stay ON-TOPIC. Posts have once again been edited and cleaned up. Take any other discussion to it’s appropriate thread or PM.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Yeah he is looking pretty rough He makes a great case for NOT doing drugs.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I don't think the television series follows the films at all, it's a spin-off timeline separate from 3-4-5. So with Dark fate erasing 3-4-5 we will have three different timelines. I think its an admirable attempt to continue the adventures of Sarah & John after the T-800 destroys himself at the edn of T2 but I never connected with the series at all, I tried but I couldn't get invested in it at all.
    Timelines
    1. T1-T2-TDF
    2. T1-2-3-4-5 and ignore DF
    3. T1-T2- TVSeries

If James Cameron goes on screen at SDCC and says "Eddie Furlong is back" it sure better be more than a CGI rendered face, he really wouldn't be reprising anything if that's the case. I follow The Terminator Fans site closely and article they posted mentions EF's friend Bam Margera was replacing him at an upcoming convention due to EF cancelling, there's a quick video of Bam saying Eddie is making Terminator. I of course take all this with many grains of salt, but I still have hope it will be more than a CG render. To really feel like a legitimate sequel to T2 [which they are touting it as] we need the three characters to appear in the film. If not it will be the ultimate bait and switch.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    I don't think the television series follows the films at all, it's a spin-off timeline separate from 3-4-5. So with Dark fate erasing 3-4-5 we will have three different timelines. I think its an admirable attempt to continue the adventures of Sarah & John after the T-800 destroys himself at the edn of T2 but I never connected with the series at all, I tried but I couldn't get invested in it at all.
    Timelines
    1. T1-T2-TDF
    2. T1-2-3-4-5 and ignore DF
    3. T1-T2- TVSeries

If James Cameron goes on screen at SDCC and says "Eddie Furlong is back" it sure better be more than a CGI rendered face, he really wouldn't be reprising anything if that's the case. I follow The Terminator Fans site closely and article they posted mentions EF's friend Bam Margera was replacing him at an upcoming convention due to EF cancelling, there's a quick video of Bam saying Eddie is making Terminator. I of course take all this with many grains of salt, but I still have hope it will be more than a CG render. To really feel like a legitimate sequel to T2 [which they are touting it as] we need the three characters to appear in the film. If not it will be the ultimate bait and switch.
    Even if he does actually appear it wont really matter.
    Last edited by Mark M; August 5, 2019 at 01:14pm.

You need to put potential spoilers in spoiler tags, as some folks might want to actually watch the film without being spoiled.

Input the word Spoiler in between brackets, type whatever it is you wish to state that has spoilers in it, and to finish put the word Spoiler in brackets again but with a forward slash before the word, and you're set.
    Last edited by Shecky; August 5, 2019 at 12:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    You need to put potential spoilers in spoiler tags, as some folks might want to actually watch the film without being spoiled.
    I couldn't edit my post to include spoilers so I just edited what I said. As for it being spoiled, the trailer pretty much says enough about the plot of the movie.

I do not think EF could be in the movie. I hate to say it, but he looks terrible. There is no way I would buy him being the leader of the resistance in the state he is in.

According to leaks John Connor is only in the movie for the first five minutes. They will use a CG version of EF's younger self over a kid's body. He gets killed within the first five minutes of the movie by Arnie. Then the girl becomes the new savior and Sarah dies protecting her. *insert angry face here*