Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51

Thread: Notre-Dame fire 04-15-2019

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior OwenMorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I was sickened to see hundreds of posts (that you have to translate on FB) celebrating the fire. Those posts were in Arabic.

    Examples:

    The most beautiful news of the year 2019 is this fire yet and if god willing still more in the coming of the days maybe the whole France will burn.

    Something unfortunate �� and from this platform we announce our sympathy and full solidarity with the fire ������������

    From Algeria we announce our solidarity with the fire in the cathedral of Notre Dame and condemn the violent intervention to put it down... and we renew our support for the team in his right to express his heat and his body... we hope that he will move somewhere else to Digested in France ��

    Praise be to God
    Karma for the rest of Europe

    I'm shocked by the joy ��

    And the posts go on and on with many likes and laughing emojis. But someone will come along and tell me that I misinterpreted those posts, and many others, because *insert buzz word here*

    Some men just want to watch the world burn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHCdKb5UWc
    That's pretty nasty stuff.

    Could you link to it? I assumed your link was it, but it was just Batman.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

  2. #27
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    That's pretty nasty stuff.

    Could you link to it? I assumed your link was it, but it was just Batman.
    Here is one of the pages. Some of the comments say they hope that the Eiffel Tower is next

    https://www.facebook.com/FRANCE24.Arabic/

    Sorry, the whole thing made me think of what Alfred said in Batman hence the link.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I am as left wing liberal as it gets, but I'm also deeply spiritual, and if this was a hate crime, then that disgusts me as all hate crimes for whatever reason are vile and unforgiveable.
    Sadly there are people of every color, shape and religion who are full of hate. There are videos and pictures of people laughing and celebrating while Notre Dame burns behind them. If you go on You Tube you can find them.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdOGxQVortQ
    Last edited by IceyCat; April 16, 2019 at 09:49am.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

    You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I don't like sick and twisted videos of people committing hate crimes, it's vile and sickening. A lot of my friends, celebrity and otherwise are shocked, saddened and outraged at this latest tragedy.
    It is heart breaking.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

    You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior OwenMorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Here is one of the pages. Some of the comments say they hope that the Eiffel Tower is next

    https://www.facebook.com/FRANCE24.Arabic/

    Sorry, the whole thing made me think of what Alfred said in Batman hence the link.

    - - - Updated - - -

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdOGxQVortQ
    Ah that makes sense re Batman, I couldn't stand that film so I was unfamiliar with the quote!

    Those are some nasty comments on there for sure. There are some hate-filled individuals in the world.

    Interestingly, quite a few of the comments are literally copy-and-pasted across lots of different users. That one about solidarity from Algeria is word-for-word on at least three different users. It makes you wonder whether there's an overriding voice trying to push a narrative.

    At least the consensus among the French media is that this is an accident, not terror. In addition, there are no reported deaths. For both of these facts we must all be grateful.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

  5. #30
    Not my Tempo Fendi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,792
    Wait wait, what does conspiracy have to do with the fire? we way way turn the car to left in a funny manner.

    NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,317
    Oh I definitely think there are probably some trolls in there just C&Ping stuff, but there are videos online of people laughing while the church burns behind them. Then there are almost two thousand laughing emoticons in response to the story of the church burning and things like that. There are bad eggs in EVERY culture, but what makes me angry is when people dismiss it and say those who point it out are racists or xenophobic or whatever. If it were right wing extremists I would also point it out.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

    You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

  7. #32
    Not my Tempo Fendi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,792
    I wouldn't dig into extremist of politics it just people generally nowadays have... a big blast on anti-Christian or Anti-Religion generally. Nowadays the Gen X and Millenials doesn't have respect on religions anymore.

    NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior OwenMorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Wait wait, what does conspiracy have to do with the fire? we way way turn the car to left in a funny manner.
    Good point, we are way off topic now! I'm going to stop chatting on about this one now; will just finish by reiterating how sorry I am to hear of this dreadful accident.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    I wouldn't dig into extremist of politics it just people generally nowadays have... a big blast on anti-Christian or Anti-Religion generally. Nowadays the Gen X and Millenials doesn't have respect on religions anymore.
    VERY true! I always like chatting with you, Fendi. You have a unique perspective and you keep me on my toes
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

    You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

  10. #35
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,169
    Thank you for that, Icey. I certainly know such a comment would never come from you.

    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Absolutely not! You know my thoughts on Catholicism, but no one deserves these attacks and acts of desecration.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I honestly do not blame them. If the native people do not rise up and start fighting back they will not have a country or culture anymore.

  11. #36
    Not my Tempo Fendi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    While most early accounts stated that this fire was an accident possibly caused by the renovation equipment within Notre Dame,
    If the building were in Malaysia, I would blame them for being inadequate

    Currently not about religion, politics or Paris but I still shudder and scared about the fallen pedestrian bridge in Malaysia that I witnessed while working with Uber. It was in the middle of a construction and surrounded by people and traffic. People really need to re check their academic awards.

    NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

  12. #37
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Pit of Misery. Dilly dilly.
    Posts
    6,293
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    VERY true! I always like chatting with you, Fendi. You have a unique perspective and you keep me on my toes
    I'm not a millenial and I've never had respect for religion. i'm a non believing heathen and need proof, not beliefs.

    oddly enough, I do believe in ghosts more than I do religion itself though. go figure.
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

    Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    I'm not a millenial and I've never had respect for religion. i'm a non believing heathen and need proof, not beliefs.

    oddly enough, I do believe in ghosts more than I do religion itself though. go figure.
    Then you believe people have souls that can get trapped, that is a start.

    You may be interested in checking out J Warner Wallace. He was an atheist.
    Last edited by IceyCat; April 16, 2019 at 03:50pm.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

    You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

  14. #39
    Heroic Warrior He-Kal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I was sickened to see hundreds of posts (that you have to translate on FB) celebrating the fire. Those posts were in Arabic.

    Examples:

    The most beautiful news of the year 2019 is this fire yet and if god willing still more in the coming of the days maybe the whole France will burn.

    Something unfortunate �� and from this platform we announce our sympathy and full solidarity with the fire ������������

    From Algeria we announce our solidarity with the fire in the cathedral of Notre Dame and condemn the violent intervention to put it down... and we renew our support for the team in his right to express his heat and his body... we hope that he will move somewhere else to Digested in France ��

    Praise be to God
    Karma for the rest of Europe

    I'm shocked by the joy ��

    And the posts go on and on with many likes and laughing emojis. But someone will come along and tell me that I misinterpreted those posts, and many others, because *insert buzz word here*

    Some men just want to watch the world burn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHCdKb5UWc
    I was listening to a radio program earlier today that even though all evidence points to this being an unfortunate accident; the Parisans are not buying it and are incensed over this and think there is a cover up. The point was made that there are a lot of grounds to believe a cover up has occured when this happened the week before Easter, there have been numerous churches in France that have been vandalized and set on fire in France in the last month and simply--France is already on high alert with the yellow vests protests and a terrorist attack on their most revered monument will push the country over the edge and the gov't needs to prevent that at all costs. Either way, I don't think its going to be business as usual after this in France...

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,729
    How do you encourage a conspiracy theorist? Tell him it's not a conspiracy.

    There's probably a simple explanation. It was most likely caused by some old wiring or something connected to the extensive renovation work that was underway.

    Anyway, the good news is that most of the structure remains intact. They'll be able to replace the roof like they did with York Minster. And, because the maintenance of historic buildings is financed by the French state, they have the people with the skills for the job.

    Macron said five years but I reckon they'll get it done quicker than that.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    How do you encourage a conspiracy theorist? Tell him it's not a conspiracy.

    There's probably a simple explanation. It was most likely caused by some old wiring or something connected to the extensive renovation work that was underway.

    Anyway, the good news is that most of the structure remains intact. They'll be able to replace the roof like they did with York Minster. And, because the maintenance of historic buildings is financed by the French state, they have the people with the skills for the job.

    Macron said five years but I reckon they'll get it done quicker than that.
    I read this morning that there are folks who want to change the structure to something more 'progressive.' I hope that does not happen. It should be restored to its former glory.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I was listening to a radio program earlier today that even though all evidence points to this being an unfortunate accident; the Parisans are not buying it and are incensed over this and think there is a cover up. The point was made that there are a lot of grounds to believe a cover up has occured when this happened the week before Easter, there have been numerous churches in France that have been vandalized and set on fire in France in the last month and simply--France is already on high alert with the yellow vests protests and a terrorist attack on their most revered monument will push the country over the edge and the gov't needs to prevent that at all costs. Either way, I don't think its going to be business as usual after this in France...
    I never trust an official account. I do not know if that makes me a conspiracy theorist. I always thought it just makes me smart - Ha! Thankfully there are some folks out there who realize that labeling it as an accident without a proper investigation is more political than factual. I stand behind the yellow vests.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

    You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I read this morning that there are folks who want to change the structure to something more 'progressive.' I hope that does not happen. It should be restored to its former glory.
    I agree. It will never be the same, of course, but it must be as close as possible to its former self. York Minster proves it can be done right.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,317
    Apparently this gentleman is a French journalist. He talks about all of the attacks on churches leading up to the Notre Dame fire. Worth listening to (the captions are in English) if anyone is interested in learning more:

    https://bit.tube/play?hash=QmQHMmFk8...channel=251530

    Interesting (although I will say I have never heard of the site before):

    https://freedomoutpost.com/notre-dam...at-started-it/
    Last edited by IceyCat; April 17, 2019 at 02:51pm.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

    You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

  19. #44
    Heroic Warrior He-Kal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Apparently this gentleman is a French journalist. He talks about all of the attacks on churches leading up to the Notre Dame fire. Worth listening to (the captions are in English) if anyone is interested in learning more:

    https://bit.tube/play?hash=QmQHMmFk8...channel=251530

    Interesting (although I will say I have never heard of the site before):

    https://freedomoutpost.com/notre-dam...at-started-it/
    Some of the statistics he talks about is what I heard on the radio yesterday too... As the commentator that I heard on the radio that was based in France yesterday stated, his concern was even if the authorities say this was an accident the people in France are not going to buy it. It's like a reverse boy crying wolf scenario where you actually had a wolf attacking sheep many times but no call for help was made. This time, there very likely was no wolf but a call to action could be raised (which is very ironic).

  20. #45
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,317
    Did you read the second link I posted about the renovation crew? VERY suspicious!
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

    You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior He-Kal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Did you read the second link I posted about the renovation crew? VERY suspicious!
    Oh wow--I missed that 2nd article. I'm convinced that even if the official results come back that this was a worker accident many people are not going to believe it.
    The timing of it right before Easter, the fact that other churches have been attacked and the circumstances surrounding it add up to more than it appears. Like I said, I don't think it's going to be business as usual in France after this....

  22. #47
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Pit of Misery. Dilly dilly.
    Posts
    6,293
    the timing sure is suspicious.
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

    Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

  23. #48
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,169
    And now the yellow jackets are going nuts because billionaires are donating hundreds of millions of dollars to restore Notre Dame. I guess they feel they should be able to tell people what to do with their money.

    https://www.france24.com/en/20190420...on-restoration

  24. #49
    Not my Tempo Fendi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    And now the yellow jackets are going nuts because billionaires are donating hundreds of millions of dollars to restore Notre Dame. I guess they feel they should be able to tell people what to do with their money.
    I would love to see high tech steel modern technology Notre Dame Catholic Church. Kinda like something we would see in science fiction

    NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

  25. #50
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    And now the yellow jackets are going nuts because billionaires are donating hundreds of millions of dollars to restore Notre Dame. I guess they feel they should be able to tell people what to do with their money.

    https://www.france24.com/en/20190420...on-restoration
    This popped up in my feed today:

    57336123_1321926021290785_475122223019982848_n.jpg

    I honestly cannot say that I disagree with the image. I wonder what Christ would think. In my humble opinion the yellow vests are heroes of the people.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

    You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •