Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Star Wars Saga: Episodes I-IX General Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    Dark Empire is fantastic and is what really got me into StarWars as a kid (In fact, I'm reading it again right now )
    See this is what I'm trying to see but certain people hate the EU and never gave it a chance or just things just to hate....This was one of the AMAZING EU stories that SHOULD have been used...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    There is a big difference though in calling Rey a Mary Sue compared to Mara Jade.
    Mara's back story was explained, explaining why she has her abilities etc.
    Rey's story wasn't explained and with no training at all she defeated Kylo, bested Luke, defeated multiple royal guards, mastered different force abilities by herself, was a mechanical genius (I guess from years of scanging?) and was an amazing pilot ( allegedly from studying some simulator that's mentioned in some novel or comic?).
    See Mark that's the point I was trying to make Mara had a backstory compared to Rey that explained it...

See people can like or hate what you want but at least have a REAL reason and don't come back saying you hate one certain character and now you like/love them after calling them a "Mary Sue" (Rey) isn't that kinda playing both sides?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Part of why I loved SOLO so much. It filled in the gaps I wanted and didn't try to reinvent or break anything.
    Umm yeah that movie says there is a specialized unwiped droid memory bank installed in the Falcon which means Han was never a good pilot nor needed .

Also explains why the Falcon pulls off ace pilot tricks even if Han is not aboard ....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See this is what I'm trying to see but certain people hate the EU and never gave it a chance or just things just to hate....This was one of the AMAZING EU stories that SHOULD have been used...

- - - Updated - - -

See Mark that's the point I was trying to make Mara had a backstory compared to Rey that explained it...

See people can like or hate what you want but at least have a REAL reason and don't come back saying you hate one certain character and now you like/love them after calling them a "Mary Sue" (Rey) isn't that kinda playing both sides?
    Just a few minutes explaining her back story in some way could really have made Rey a great character. If she had even been working as a mechanic in a ship yard or working as a pilot would have helped quite a bit.

Isn't there a theory about

Baby Yoda was a love child between Yoda and Yaddle?

I hope to believe that Jedi Attachment would be an old order and Luke trying to break away from the rule over conflicted issues in Prequel.

Yeah, Prequel's invention of No-Jedi-Attachment are stupid but since this whole Expended Universe started before Prequel I'm sure there's a segue that they lift the policy.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Isn't there a theory about

I hope to believe that Jedi Attachment would be an old order and Luke trying to break away from the rule over conflicted issues in Prequel.

Yeah, Prequel's invention of No-Jedi-Attachment are stupid but since this whole Expended Universe started before Prequel I'm sure there's a segue that they lift the policy.
    I didn't ike Jedi having no attachments and the Sith having a rule of two.
    If anything in some ways the prequels made the Jedi kind of come off as bad guys.

That rumor is just fan speculation. Silly.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I didn't ike Jedi having no attachments and the Sith having a rule of two.
    If anything in some ways the prequels made the Jedi kind of come off as bad guys.
    A lot of that was based on monk orders in this case kung fu, shaolin style monks which the Jedi borrow several things from. The temple falling borrows very heavily from that also.

It's hard to tell how much thought and planning Lucas really put into a lot of this. I have listened and read some of the stuff he said explaining things but there were many times I just kind of rolled my eyes about it all.

I would love for Disney to create this series

Rise of the Republic.
    In this a newly formed Republic of planets is gaining moment, the obvious part of the story.

The Jedi temple is not on Corruscant, their are Jedi who are married, the Jedi do not gather up freshly born children and take them to the temple to be trained.

The story follows a Jedi who disagrees with things going on with the Jedi as the Republic gains more influence on the Jedi. Ending ultimately with said Jedi being deemed a heretic, attachment is forbidden, talks of the temple being moved to Corruscant, and many of the other things that are now accepted by the Jedi are being implemented or the seeds of it being implemented.

the sith are born, because the Jedi who are intended to be servants of the force are becoming servants of the force and the Republic.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Umm yeah that movie says there is a specialized unwiped droid memory bank installed in the Falcon which means Han was never a good pilot nor needed .

Also explains why the Falcon pulls off ace pilot tricks even if Han is not aboard ....

Well, having the most complete set of star maps and ability to plot fast courses doesn't make him less of a pilot....

besides, EU came up with this little tidbit.

"A droid brain, also known as a cognitive module, was a computer that was the central processing area of a droid. Without one, a droid could not function. Droid brains were also used in droid starfighters and tanks.
    Another use for droid brains was in starships, where they were used for operating and navigating the ship. The Millennium Falcon, for instance, had three different droid brains, which caused the Falcon to have schizophrenic arguments with itself. Despite this, under desperate circumstances the three brains managed to work together, stumping many trying to hack into the Falcon. "

So frankly having that droid assimilated into the Falcon was MORE of a nod to the EU than it was anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    That rumor is just fan speculation. Silly.

I know, I feel like that speculation would be in a canon, but like old people says: "Surprise me".

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the original movies growing up as a kid in the 80's. But, I just considered them on the level of say E.T. etc... and not an entire world I could be obsessed with like I am now... When I read Dark Empire for the first time in the early 90's I realized that so much more could be done with this world and soon discovered Heir to the Empire and the Young Jedi Knights series, and the rest was history.. The way I see it, I can still enjoy the new movies and set them in a parallel universe to the EU and accept that both still exist (basically similar to what Abrams did with the Star Trek movies).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the original movies growing up as a kid in the 80's. But, I just considered them on the level of say E.T. etc... and not an entire world I could be obsessed with like I am now... When I read Dark Empire for the first time in the early 90's I realized that so much more could be done with this world and soon discovered Heir to the Empire and the Young Jedi Knights series, and the rest was history.. The way I see it, I can still enjoy the new movies and set them in a parallel universe to the EU and accept that both still exist (basically similar to what Abrams did with the Star Trek movies).
    Which is completely legit. I'm a life-time fan of course of He-man.... not to mention Transformers, GIJoe, and Marvel and DC... and frankly the idea of 'alternate universes' is so ingrained in EVERY fandom I have that it boggles my mind that other people DON'T see things that way.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Which is completely legit. I'm a life-time fan of course of He-man.... not to mention Transformers, GIJoe, and Marvel and DC... and frankly the idea of 'alternate universes' is so ingrained in EVERY fandom I have that it boggles my mind that other people DON'T see things that way.
    I'm very much for "head-canon" viewing franchise stories in whatever gives you the best experience possible...its about accepting what you can't change...that said..."official canon" will always be a thing. And that objective truth will always taint how people see these things...even those most desiring to live and let live.

You yourself pointed out the positive side of this...and THAT is: "Parallel universes" as part of basic canon for any modern-day franchise is now a thing to compliment official canon.

This gives frustrated fans a more accepted/more visible context of flexibility compared to the past where you felt like a lonely oddball with arrogant visions of fan-fiction when you were "choosing your own adventure".
    This is a link for "Player Dez's Strange Toy-Ventures" a toy show I help with: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMs...seKp1vZ-Py5C9Q
    GOOD JOURNEY, ORGERS!

So on Rotten Tomatoes (a trigger word for many fans, I know) a few more negative reviews for TROS came in which pushed the score down to 52%, which is the lowest review score for every single Star Wars movie ever made, just below the Phantom Menace. For all the fans that say that TROS “fixed” The Last Jedi, then why is the score so low? And why is making MUCH less money than the first two in this trilogy? In the first two trilogies, the third movie made more than the second, so you can’t say that TROS’s lower returns is due to TLJ’s problems.

My take: TROS is making the hard-core fans happy but not as much general audiences as the first two did.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    So on Rotten Tomatoes (a trigger word for many fans, I know) a few more negative reviews for TROS came in which pushed the score down to 52%, which is the lowest review score for every single Star Wars movie ever made, just below the Phantom Menace. For all the fans that say that TROS “fixed” The Last Jedi, then why is the score so low? And why is making MUCH less money than the first two in this trilogy? In the first two trilogies, the third movie made more than the second, so you can’t say that TROS’s lower returns is due to TLJ’s problems.

My take: TROS is making the hard-core fans happy but not as much general audiences as the first two did.
    Rotten Tomato scores can't be trusted.
    The reason it has made less money is simply that the damage was dones and a lot of fans just don't care about the franchise anymore.

Rotten Tomato scores can't be trusted.
    The reason it has made less money is simply that the damage was dones and a lot of fans just don't care about the franchise anymore.
    Agreed. Reviewers have been busted fluffing up crappy movies...one of them TLJ in fact. That site has been corrupted by perverse incentives.

Gives me no pleasure to give even an indirect defense of this now despicable franchise, but thatís the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post
    Agreed. Reviewers have been busted fluffing up crappy movies...one of them TLJ in fact. That site has been corrupted by perverse incentives.

Gives me no pleasure to give even an indirect defense of this now despicable franchise, but that’s the truth.
    Yes, same with Youtube reviewers more concerned with giving review to suit their subscribbers and to please the the movie companies.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    For all the fans that say that TROS “fixed” The Last Jedi, then why is the score so low? And why is making MUCH less money than the first two in this trilogy?
    Because the people who hated TLJ did not go see TROS, but are downvoting it on rating sites anyway.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Because the people who hated TLJ did not go see TROS, but are downvoting it on rating sites anyway.
    To be fair, fans of TLJ are also down voting TRoS because it undoes and back tracks on TLJ story beats as well, lol

It got an 86 percent general audience score on RT versus 43 percent for Last Jedi. The critics, which is the 52, don't like the fan service of Rise of Skywalker. The box office for Star Wars films have been down since the divisive Last Jedi, which dropped hard itself after its big opening weekend. You can't just get everybody back automatically.

I'm going to see it again this Friday.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    I'm going to see it a sixth time. Masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    You almost had me for a minute and then I looked at your screen name - LOL!

Still haven't seen it, I do not plan to. Been watching V and the remake. The 80's version was so much better story wise, but the newer one has some cool special effects.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Agreed! Dark Empire got me back into comics and back into Star Wars after an adolescence of, well yous guys know, adolescence stuff. I love Cam Kennedy's art work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I'm going to watch "The Battle for Endor" for the sixth time instead.

Heroic Warrior
    Truly, the only thing better than TROS is Rian Johnson's writing and Kathleen Kennedy's leadership.

Completely disagree. It's not that fans don't care about the franchise anymore, "the Mandalorian" proves that. It's that people don't care for that movie or those characters.