Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 117

Thread: The Star Wars Saga: Episodes I-IX General Discussion Thread

  1. #1
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    12,025

    The Star Wars Saga: Episodes I-IX General Discussion Thread

    Here is a thread to discuss the saga as a (still, at the moment) developing whole. While discussion in other threads may occasionally require reference to the other films, they should maintain the intended focus. Here, you can discuss the movies and the property itself in general.

    This is not a Protected Thread, so opinions will vary, but, as long as we refrain from Tar Swamp material (ahem, politics in particular, as that seems to get trotted out in virtually every movie thread), anything Star Wars is fair game. In the interest of moving discussions along, re-posting the same thoughts and opinions over and over again does not help.

    Have fun, be respectful of others' opinions, and may the Force be with you!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

    Instagram: Just_Thommy

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    3,710
    I want the star wars universe to keep going

    I don't want the Skywalker saga to end.

    I'm going to get Disney + to watch the Mandalorian and any other Star Warsy they throw at us.

  3. #3
    Cheap Repaint FAKER II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,277
    I was in a comic shop yesterday and I came across a carded Episode I Obi Wan (1st version). It’s not hard to find POTF2 and Episode I figures MOC in comic shops. I’m sure I have that figure MOC in a box somewhere and I know I have at least 2 loose ones. Yet, I was still compelled to pick it up and admire it. I didn’t buy it. But I held it and looked it over for a minute, reminiscing about how much I enjoyed that figure when it first came out. Brings back so many memories. I REALLY miss being excited about Star Wars.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

    "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

  4. #4
    Friend of fox Rhanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eternian Pampas
    Posts
    2,210
    I'm rewatching Clone Wars animated series and I'm having a good time, as there are some episdoes I've missed on the original run.

    Even though they are not as good as the OT, Prequels do are enjoyable and have made SW universe even larger. I'm not too much into the EU, main focus have been movies and the animated series, and although I can understand some sort of disappoinment toward the expectations or treatment of some topics in the prequels, I do like them. Alas, Ep I has the best laser sable fight ever between Kenobi, Qui Gon and Maul.

    As a SW fan, I have zillion of nerd questions that I like to debate with some fellow SW followers:
    Is Qui Gon the worst Jedi of all? I mean, the first time he faces a Sith Lord he ends up exhausted and next time he dies, and when he did so, he did not desappear as others Jedi do. He also brought the child that enventually would destroy the Republic and the Jedi Council. Also, if he discovered how to manifest as a Force Ghost, why he did not reappeared?

    Regarding Force Ghost, how much can they influence in the material world? I mean, in the despicable TLJ, Yoda summoned a lightning bolt and burn the Jedi tree.

    And something that has bothered me in the prequels is that Jedi's were not as great as they depicted them; I mean, they did not intervene in planets were slavery was a common thing, they pretty much associated and work alongside the Republic mandates, they have the Sith threat right under noses and not a single Jedi was able to suspect about it, many has turned to the Dark Side like Dooku and they were really easy to kill through Order 666 or even in a basic confrontation 3 to 1 with Palpatine.
    Yoda was awesome to me until Ep III when he was defeated by Sidious and flew away and go into solitude pretty much in cowardly way.

    I know that most stand alone movies are at stall but if there's a movie I'd like Disney to make, besides Kenobi, is the Story of Conclave on Kessel, were a group of Jedi survivors from Order 666 set up an ambush for Dath Vader in order to kill him and they failed.
    Last edited by Rhanen; April 19, 2019 at 02:01pm.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

    My feedback thread

  5. #5
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,005
    Here's hoping they will incorporate more of the eu (legends) in to the canon like Lucas did....

    I want the Palpatine to be a clone (remember Kamino?)
    I want Rey to be Luke & Mara's daughter...(Yes Mara died but at least they would acknowledge that)


  6. #6
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    12,025
    I’m all for EU material being mined for canon material, and while I’d love to see a canon variation of Mara Jade, I think it’s be over the top ridiculous for Rey to turn out to be some forgotten/secret daughter of Luke and a character introduced postmortem in the final movie of the saga.

    Palpating being a clone could maaaaaybe work, but I think it’s be better that he either turns up as a lingering memory (as Darth Bane did in CW) or as himself, having whisked himself to this point in time via the world between worlds (seen in Rebels), as though (for him) ROTJ was just yesterday.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

    Instagram: Just_Thommy

  7. #7
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I’m all for EU material being mined for canon material, and while I’d love to see a canon variation of Mara Jade, I think it’s be over the top ridiculous for Rey to turn out to be some forgotten/secret daughter of Luke and a character introduced postmortem in the final movie of the saga.

    Palpating being a clone could maaaaaybe work, but I think it’s be better that he either turns up as a lingering memory (as Darth Bane did in CW) or as himself, having whisked himself to this point in time via the world between worlds (seen in Rebels), as though (for him) ROTJ was just yesterday.
    I want this it would MAKE sense he would have thought of EVERY possibility and the Empire/Republic used Kamino to make Clones so....It would tie in...


  8. #8
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    12,025
    Meh. I wasn’t impressed with those comics.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

    Instagram: Just_Thommy

  9. #9
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Meh. I wasn’t impressed with those comics.
    Kinda figured that....

  10. #10
    Friend of fox Rhanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eternian Pampas
    Posts
    2,210
    After the prequels we have been having Star Wars exposition almost permanently between the animsted series, comics and new movies, and most of us here in this forum are around mid 30's to mid 40's and know SW universe practicually since day 1 (4-May-1977).

    Although I wonder, how many people nowadays have seen the OT without any additional CGI enhancement (?) or modifications?

    I mean: no CGI, No Ep IV in "A New Hope", no Greedo shoots first, no Vader's "Nooooo" at the ROTJ, no galaxy celebration when the Empire falls and no Hayden Christiansen Force Ghost among many others. The DVD's release are very scarce, I think it was back in the 90's at the same time of the 20th Ann releases, VHS are quite outdated and no Blu-Ray release is available.

    Also, why the Luke building his own lightsaber scene was never included in the ROTJ? I think that scene would have suited perfectly for most fans
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

    My feedback thread

  11. #11
    Cheap Repaint FAKER II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Although I wonder, how many people nowadays have seen the OT without any additional CGI enhancement (?) or modifications?

    I mean: no CGI, No Ep IV in "A New Hope", no Greedo shoots first, no Vader's "Nooooo" at the ROTJ, no galaxy celebration when the Empire falls and no Hayden Christiansen Force Ghost among many others. The DVD's release are very scarce, I think it was back in the 90's at the same time of the 20th Ann releases, VHS are quite outdated and no Blu-Ray release is available.
    I wonder how many people have even seen the original 1997 version of the Special Editions. Most of the things I hate about the current Special Editions were added after the 1997 SE.

    I think Harmy's Despecialized versions of the original trilogy are incredible. I wish some fan editors would create blu ray quality edits of the original 1997 Special Editions, The Phantom Menace, and Attack of the Clones.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

    "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

  12. #12
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,005
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I wonder how many people have even seen the original 1997 version of the Special Editions. Most of the things I hate about the current Special Editions were added after the 1997 SE.

    I think Harmy's Despecialized versions of the original trilogy are incredible. I wish some fan editors would create blu ray quality edits of the original 1997 Special Editions, The Phantom Menace, and Attack of the Clones.
    Who's Harmy?

  13. #13
    Friend of fox Rhanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eternian Pampas
    Posts
    2,210
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I wonder how many people have even seen the original 1997 version of the Special Editions. Most of the things I hate about the current Special Editions were added after the 1997 SE.
    I've watched them at the release at the theaters, except for ROTJ, and I was just happy that I would finally be able to watch Ep IV and V at the movies. I don't recall if Han shoots first was there but Jabba's scene was included.

    Still, I was able to get OT first releases, not even the Ep IV in "A New Hope" that has been added when the movie was re-released in 1979 prior TESB, and I can tell that t least for the first 2 movies, it is a different experience, and it is the one I remember re-waching with my friends in VHS, something that younger generations don't have available quite easy
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

    My feedback thread

  14. #14
    Cheap Repaint FAKER II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,277
    Has everyone see this yet?



    This video is intense. The first minute is slow, as it's stuff we've already seen. But from the 1 minute mark on up it's incredible.
    Last edited by FAKER II; May 11, 2019 at 12:22am.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

    "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

  15. #15
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    878
    I wish I could go back to a time when I thought Star Wars' biggest mistake was almost exclusively focusing on the Clone Wars era for the better part of a decade. Those were simpler times.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,192
    I love Star Wars, the OT, PT, novels, comics, toys, video games, cartoons etc but I am not a fan of a lot of the decisions Disney have made with the franchise...especially the sequel movies.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I love Star Wars, the OT, PT, novels, comics, toys, video games, cartoons etc but I am not a fan of a lot of the decisions Disney have made with the franchise...especially the sequel movies.
    Many people are not happy, Mark M. I only have one friend offline who actually liked the sequels and he would pee himself with glee over ANYTHING Star Wars. The only people I seem to encounter who like SW are people online. I had a crazy conversation on the playground with some tweens the other day over how terrible the new SW movies were. It gave me hope that not all young people are ding dongs - LOL!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior moltak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    941
    Star Wars’ biggest problem overall is that it is played out. There is no newness and very little opportunity for creativity and originality on the big screen.

    That was the problem with the prequels, and it’s the problem with the Disney sequels.

    Most people don’t seem aware that the main reason we loved the original trilogy was the revolutionary depiction of scifi on screen. Prior to 1977, nobody had ever made a scifi movie with ALL of the following: a charming story, interesting characters, and visual effects powered by the budget of a big Hollywood studio. The lack of familiarity with the genre was key to their success.

    That newness had worn off big time by the time Phantom Menace was made, and Lucas’ revolution had fully swept the industry. Star Wars had been the measuring stick against which every scifi-action movie was measured.

    The franchise is a victim of its own success and it’s time to let it die. Every installment after Return of the Jedi has accomplished nothing except making the copyright owners filthy rich. They’re getting rich with our money because we are legitimately addicted.

    But the warm fuzzy memories we have of the originals will never be reproduced. Only exploited, if you allow them to be.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post
    But the warm fuzzy memories we have of the originals will never be reproduced. Only exploited, if you allow them to be.
    I agree. None of the SW movies outside of the first three have really made me feel anything like the original trilogy. Well the newest ones made me feel anger - LOL! I guess there is that.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I agree. None of the SW movies outside of the first three have really made me feel anything like the original trilogy. Well the newest ones made me feel anger - LOL! I guess there is that.
    LOL.

    I didn't agree with everything in the Prequels...although I did quite enjoy Revenge of the Sith well enough. I even like the Ewok movies. I was just very disappointed with the sequels as The Force Awakens was just a basic poor remake of A New Hope and The Last Jedi was very much beat for beat similar to The Empire Strikes Back...but it was just a terribly written movie with a really bad plot.

  21. #21
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    LOL.

    I didn't agree with everything in the Prequels...although I did quite enjoy Revenge of the Sith well enough. I even like the Ewok movies. I was just very disappointed with the sequels as The Force Awakens was just a basic poor remake of A New Hope and The Last Jedi was very much beat for beat similar to The Empire Strikes Back...but it was just a terribly written movie with a really bad plot.
    The prequels felt more like Star Wars then the sequels did (Out side of the OT cast)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post
    Star Wars’ biggest problem overall is that it is played out. There is no newness and very little opportunity for creativity and originality on the big screen.

    That was the problem with the prequels, and it’s the problem with the Disney sequels.

    Most people don’t seem aware that the main reason we loved the original trilogy was the revolutionary depiction of scifi on screen. Prior to 1977, nobody had ever made a scifi movie with ALL of the following: a charming story, interesting characters, and visual effects powered by the budget of a big Hollywood studio. The lack of familiarity with the genre was key to their success.

    That newness had worn off big time by the time Phantom Menace was made, and Lucas’ revolution had fully swept the industry. Star Wars had been the measuring stick against which every scifi-action movie was measured.

    The franchise is a victim of its own success and it’s time to let it die. Every installment after Return of the Jedi has accomplished nothing except making the copyright owners filthy rich. They’re getting rich with our money because we are legitimately addicted.

    But the warm fuzzy memories we have of the originals will never be reproduced. Only exploited, if you allow them to be.
    Or people are spoiled maybe? I look at the OT as my life story and the prequels as my dad's and the ST as my kids everything is different but some things are the same...People will find fault at that though..

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    The prequels felt more like Star Wars then the sequels did (Out side of the OT cast)

    - - - Updated - - -



    Or people are spoiled maybe? I look at the OT as my life story and the prequels as my dad's and the ST as my kids everything is different but some things are the same...People will find fault at that though..
    The OT cast were the only good thing about the ST. And that is just that it was the OT cast returning, they used them all terribly.
    Mark Hamill even said he only agreed to the ST as at the time George Lucas was going to be in charge of it, then Lucas sold to Disney...

  23. #23
    Daemonite Scum! Jobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Void
    Posts
    1,115
    Sorry... I live under a Rock. Don't you mean IV-VI?
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

    ~ Me ~

    FeedBack:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

    http://give.transplants.org/goto/justintrease

  24. #24
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    20,233
    I liked ROTS. I thought it was interesting. The others in the prequels were eh. But I chalk that up to bad writing and that weird creepy feeling of Anakin doe eyed for Padame. That was unsettling. And then their blooming romance could have worked in the second if the dialogue hadn't been so damn bad.

    Rogue one which everyone, but me, liked wasn't interesting to me. Sorry. Didn't like it. Solo was just blah because lets be honest Harrison is Solo and no one else can be. That's like having someone else as Rhett Butler, and we all saw how well that worked out.

    I did enjoy TFA. Yeah, sure it took from ANH but that's okay I was ready for a fun ride. Then the second came out with its, well agenda, and I'm like WTF just happened? Can they pull it out and make the ROSW great? Well, I dunno. Lets not have social justice shoved down our throats just to have it. Lets not have a meaningless plot line just to have it. Lets have a good ol' fashioned SW movie.

    I think that those who are making SW are trying too hard to include everthing and the kitchen sink. They need to rethink their approach. Aayla Secura has always fascinated me. I'd love to see a movie about her. Or what about another jedi? It doesn't have to be about the Skywalkers, but it does have to be interesting
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

    Smile like you mean it.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I liked ROTS. I thought it was interesting. The others in the prequels were eh. But I chalk that up to bad writing and that weird creepy feeling of Anakin doe eyed for Padame. That was unsettling. And then their blooming romance could have worked in the second if the dialogue hadn't been so damn bad.

    Rogue one which everyone, but me, liked wasn't interesting to me. Sorry. Didn't like it. Solo was just blah because lets be honest Harrison is Solo and no one else can be. That's like having someone else as Rhett Butler, and we all saw how well that worked out.

    I did enjoy TFA. Yeah, sure it took from ANH but that's okay I was ready for a fun ride. Then the second came out with its, well agenda, and I'm like WTF just happened? Can they pull it out and make the ROSW great? Well, I dunno. Lets not have social justice shoved down our throats just to have it. Lets not have a meaningless plot line just to have it. Lets have a good ol' fashioned SW movie.

    I think that those who are making SW are trying too hard to include everthing and the kitchen sink. They need to rethink their approach. Aayla Secura has always fascinated me. I'd love to see a movie about her. Or what about another jedi? It doesn't have to be about the Skywalkers, but it does have to be interesting
    As bad as the dialogue was in Episode 2 I found the dialogue in TFA even worse. The interactions between Rey and Finn and Rey and Han really made me cringe.
    I didn't really like Rogue One that much either. It was okay...the best of the Disney films, but that's not saying much. Much like Solo it was just another story that really wasn't needed. Considering the wealth of stories and other characters like the different Jedi, there is so much more they could have done.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •