Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Star Wars Saga: Episodes I-IX General Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    It's design is to sell merchandise and look 'cool.'
    Love the video you posted, the guy is cracking me up. My hubby is like 'Why are still watching that?!?' Kind of makes me want to watch Star Wars now
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Love the video you posted, the guy is cracking me up. My hubby is like 'Why are still watching that?!?' Kind of makes me want to watch Star Wars now
    I have watched many of his video. He is informative while being entertaining, I am sure he does ham it up knowing that is what keeps people coming back.

He has one video for example explaining how, yes he knows that the reason why lightsaber fights are done the way they are from the movie perspective. But in reality if someone used one more like a rapier (real life not movie style) they would pretty much destroy anyone in a dual from the movies.

He also has created a scabbard that would allow a twohanded sword to be drawn from the back.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Very cool! I will have to subscribe to him. I love to geek out, but I am also a practical girl. I thought I was the only one who yelled at the screen at Rey's bad form.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I have watched many of his video. He is informative while being entertaining, I am sure he does ham it up knowing that is what keeps people coming back.

He has one video for example explaining how, yes he knows that the reason why lightsaber fights are done the way they are from the movie perspective. But in reality if someone used one more like a rapier (real life not movie style) they would pretty much destroy anyone in a dual from the movies.

He also has created a scabbard that would allow a twohanded sword to be drawn from the back.
    I LOVE this guy's videos. He actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to sword combat and tears into some of the really stupid stuff out there, but also praises some of the cooler things you didn't think would work well. He has a slew of fantasy-themed videos for anyone into D&D and the like that are just a ton of fun.

He did an episode on what kind of combat style Jedi would probably have based on laser swords being a thing and it came down to a rapier-like style that ended up being pretty much what Dooku used. I love his channel.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

i love how his mindset is on writing or pen and paper games and he approaches it from that angle. He isn't there to just poopoo on the ideas and will more often than not try to at least make it work.

It was a bit before I subscribed to him, because he can be a bit much and some of the videos it's not that I am not interested, but more would like a shorter TLDR type video on some of it. But I had been 'following' him as he came in suggested videos etc. One of the first of his I watched was the one one Goblin Slayer, and how the main character fights and how much of that is realistic even in a fantasy 'game' system.

Of course he did a recent realistic review of He-man's Power sword.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Rey's new lightsabre is terrible looking. It's on the same level as that stupid spinning one from the Rebels TV show.
    There is no way that could actually be wielded comfortably in battle.

The lightsabre combat in the sequel movies has all been terrible. The throne room fight from The Last Jedi is the worst of all the lightsabre battles on screen. The choreography is laughable. They did not put in anywhere near the same work as those in the prequel trilogy.

Heroic Warrior
    I liked the end lightsaber duel in Phantom Menace but those fights got overly choreographed as the prequels went on so by the time of Revenge of Sith you get video game characters flipping and twirling around for 20 minutes and no one really cared. I'm glad the sequels dialed it back some and gave the fights a sense of physicality.

The fight scenes were based around than current film trends.

Original series based on the more posturing and stage fighting that was designed to keep the actors both save while creating the look of a sword fight.

Prequel trilogy was based more on Anime and Hong Kong action styles which tend to be over exaggerated and basically cool looking.

Current trilogy, skip fight choreography and just let the actors play out the fight, focusing in on close up shots with often little real substance when you pull the camera back.

Spoiler about Dark Rey:

Dark Rey IS a vision/dream (like I suggested earlier):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYfYLrdzffM
    Last edited by IceyCat; August 28, 2019 at 01:44pm.

Heroic Warrior
    The fight scenes were based around than current film trends.

Original series based on the more posturing and stage fighting that was designed to keep the actors both save while creating the look of a sword fight.

Prequel trilogy was based more on Anime and Hong Kong action styles which tend to be over exaggerated and basically cool looking.

Current trilogy, skip fight choreography and just let the actors play out the fight, focusing in on close up shots with often little real substance when you pull the camera back.
    I'd actually prefer the closeups that help emote what the characters are feeling to the endless barrage of slick capoeira moves that dont add anything of substance to the narrative of a fight other than 'it looks cool'. Used sparsely it IS cool but when that's all you have to offer it becomes one-note very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    I'd actually prefer the closeups that help emote what the characters are feeling to the endless barrage of slick capoeira moves that dont add anything of substance to the narrative of a fight other than 'it looks cool'. Used sparsely it IS cool but when that's all you have to offer it becomes one-note very quickly.
    And I do agree, I made it sound like the modern fight scenes have nothing, I was actually more picturing Transformers in my mind than Star Wars. That is why in ways I do prefer the older stuff, that while not focused on the closeups you could still get a feel for the actors. So in that regards you do feel more involved in the scene.

I just felt like the new fight scenes were done with - ok so act like your fighting, ok you know what would be cool is if you just turned the saber off and yeah let's do that. In the moment in a real fight she just exposed herself. Which than distracts me from any other emotional involvement going on.

The prequel trilogy lightsabre duels were a bit too over done I admit that. The battle in The Force Awakens wasn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    The prequel trilogy lightsabre duels were a bit too over done I admit that. The battle in The Force Awakens wasn't too bad.
    The Phantom Menace duel was great....Just enough

And that song Duel of the Fates....

I just watched Last Jedi again on netflix last month and it's just as bad as a i remember.

The Last Jedi is the last stand for Star Wars.

It ripped out Star Wars' soul. The Last Jedi is a boring, wretchedly written, slap in the face to the original trilogy's character. It was Empire(And parts of ROTJ) without a heart. A total disappointment and a light speed step back from TFA.

And there is no going back from this. It's actions and TFA's have made everything that the characters from the original trilogy fought for? Completely pointless. It turned Han and Luke into utter failures and made them a disgrace. Especially Luke. The way his character was written and portrayed in this film was pathetic and insulting.

Screw the Last Jedi. It isn't Star Wars at all. It lacks the heart, the imagination and the wonder that made the franchise loved by so many. And it is an utter disrespectful travesty to all that have come before it. It is so crappy that it is surreal.

It offers nothing but misery, bland visuals, cringe-inducing lines of dialogue("You're scum. ... "Rebel Scum".), pathetic attempts at humor(Those Porgs), forgettable action sequences, idiotic writing, and beyond boring pacing. Easily the worst film of the year 2017 for me personally and without a doubt the most infuriating. I just saw a franchise die before my eyes, i mean what they did to Luke was very wrong of turning a likable farmboy turned amazing hero whom he became badass in Return of the Jedi turned into an emo sadsack in Last Jedi, i dislike that.

Star Wars has no hope now. It has been lost in the path that The Last Jedi has chosen to take. Lost forever to never be seen again, just like the Jedi that returned all those years ago. I did my part and boycotted Disney Star Wars since and didn't give a dime for Solo and will not for the new movie. As far as i'm concerned despite some issues i have with the movie Return of the Jedi, ROTJ is the last good Star Wars film.

Looks like George's inflated ego has been defeated since he approved of the untampered with original version of Star Wars in a special screening restored and all! over the last 2 decades he's messed with the original trilogy and i have a bootleg set of the despecialized editions on blu-ray from interspositives and they look great.

yet i hope we finally get the untampered with original cuts of the classic trilogy on UltraHD 4K BD at last now that Disney bought Fox besides Lucasfilm and Lucas is finally getting rid of his old greedy ego to realize what was wrong about not releasing the original versions on home media for the last 2 decades.

https://www.inverse.com/article/5791...sWneQ4G2dkO8Es
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    The Phantom Menace duel was great....Just enough

And that song Duel of the Fates....
    Yes those were great, shame about the rest of the movie though...LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I just watched Last Jedi again on netflix last month and it's just as bad as a i remember...
    I agree with pretty much everything you said.
    The only nice thing I can say about TLJ was that it was filmed nicely and had some good filming locations...Ireland especially LOL.
    Instead of making a good SW film and a proper sequel to TFA Rain Johnson did nothing but rip off older movies...even the title is ripped off from a novel by a superior writer. The movie was nothing more than bad fan fiction.
    All the while allowing Rain's ego to get in the way trying to mess with the audience by ''subverting their expectation'' every chance he got.
    The only thing he subverted was people expecting a good movie.
    The final scene with Luke arriving and facing down the entire first order himself and duelling with Kylo could have been the coolest scene ever in all of Star Wars movie...but no it had to be ruined and spoiled with a gimmick to trick/subvert the audience by having Luke just be a ''Force Projection''.

As a Star Wars fan though I would like Rise Of The Skywalker to be a good movie and a lot better than TLJ but I doubt JJ will be able to make a good SW movie.
    Last edited by Mark M; October 1, 2019 at 04:36pm.

This basically goes along with what most of us thought about 7 and 8 not flowing well together due to JJ and Rian having different ideas.

From a JJ Abrams interview with Empire:
    I never found myself trying to repair anything. If I had done VIII, I would have done things differently, just as Rian would have done things differently if he had done VII. But having worked on television series, I was accustomed to creating stories and characters that then were run by other people.

If you’re willing to walk away from the thing that you created and you believe it’s in trustworthy hands, you have to accept that some of the decisions being made are not gonna be the same that you would make. And if you come back into it, you have to honor what’s been done.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Looks like George's inflated ego has been defeated since he approved of the untampered with original version of Star Wars in a special screening restored and all! over the last 2 decades he's messed with the original trilogy and i have a bootleg set of the despecialized editions on blu-ray from interspositives and they look great.

yet i hope we finally get the untampered with original cuts of the classic trilogy on UltraHD 4K BD at last now that Disney bought Fox besides Lucasfilm and Lucas is finally getting rid of his old greedy ego to realize what was wrong about not releasing the original versions on home media for the last 2 decades.

https://www.inverse.com/article/5791...sWneQ4G2dkO8Es
    Why do you keep harping on Lucas? He doesn't own it anymore and your OK with Disney totally either copying the original trilogy and slapping a new sticker on it or totally going off the track and doing something that doesn't make it Star Wars anymore?

I swear I think you and Shredder are related somehow because you and he harp on things til death that really don't matter.......