Thread: The Easter Bunny has left the arena...

Master of New Adventures!

The Easter Bunny has left the arena...

It's a sad deal, but our eleven year old Max today announced that he now knows the Easter Bunny isn't real. Our routine in the past was that we'd all get dressed for Mass and as we were leaving I'd say I forgot something and will meet them at church. After Kim and the children leaf, I'd race around the house setting up the baskets and hiding Easter eggs.

No more.

Can the Tooth Fairy and Santa be far behind? And don't get me started on my spreading glitter all over the floors in our home and writing lyrical notes from Faireena the Tooth Fairy to Max.

Kim tells me I have to let it all go because if Max still believes in all of those wonderful icons as a teenager he'll end up on Dr. Phil. Still, a part of me is sad. Peter Pan had the right idea: cryogenically freeze kids when they are eight.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Well don't assume and don't tell. I had stopped believing in the Easter Bunny long before Santa, and I didn't choose with Santa I was told and that Christmas sucked big time. I was not ready. No child should ever be outright told, they need to come to the conclusion on their own. Do not let ANYONE tell you it's time just because the child is a certain age. If they aren't able to figure it out on their own then they are not ready to know and it can be cruel and emotionally scarring to force it on them.

"How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

You're preaching to the choir.

Christmas and Santa are huge in our home and in our lives. When our three children were young, we would always get into bed on Christmas Eve and I'd read Christmas stories -- I still do, although the bed's pretty crowded not that Alex is nineteen and Zoe is sixteen. Years ago, around seven at night I'd tell them that I had to go into town to pick up paper towels. Out in my car I had everything stashed -- a package of paper towels to show I'd gone into down to make the buy, my Santa suit, talcum powder for my eyebrows, pillowcase bag with presents, state-of-the-art sleigh bells and a handful of small rocks. After parking a block away, I'd stealthily make my way back to our home trudging through the snow. Upon approaching, I'd start shaking the bells. Nearing the house, I'd toss the stones up onto the roof and let them roll down. Kim loves tell me how the children would shriek, "Mom?! I hear sleigh bells! Mom, did you hear that? There's reindeer landing on our roof!!!"

Upon entering our home in full Santa regalia I'd make my way to the tree while Kim brought the children downstairs and had them hide behind curtains to watch me in the fireplace glow laying out presents, squealing with delight as I'd read their names on the presents.

Years later, when Alex got older and started to suspect, one Christmas he told Zoe, "Did you ever notice how Dad always has to leave the house to go buy paper towels just before Santa gets here?" Fortunately, I overheard this and arranged with our next door neighbor to pose in my Santa costume on that Christmas. As always, on Christmas Eve I still told the children I had to go into town to get paper towels and I saw, with satisfaction, that Alex winked knowingly to Zoe. I left the house and ten minutes later my next door neighbor came in wearing the Santa costume. The children watched from hiding as he laid out presents. 'Santa' was in the middle of this when I came back in the house in my regular clothes with the package of paper towels. Alex looked to Santa, looked to me, looked to Kim and went all slack-jawed. It was good enough for him to believe in Santa for another two years.

It's years later and now we've had an amazing couple come as Mr. and Mrs. Santa each Christmas Eve to do the job. Believe me, they are Mr. and Mrs. Santa. We still all hide behind the curtains to watch, me with Kim and the children now. Alex and Zoe know the deal now, but Max still believes in Santa and I'm happy to have him believe for as long as possible. Heck, I'm seventy and I still believe!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    Well don't assume and don't tell. I had stopped believing in the Easter Bunny long before Santa, and I didn't choose with Santa I was told and that Christmas sucked big time. I was not ready. No child should ever be outright told, they need to come to the conclusion on their own. Do not let ANYONE tell you it's time just because the child is a certain age. If they aren't able to figure it out on their own then they are not ready to know and it can be cruel and emotionally scarring to force it on them.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 20, 2019 at 03:18pm.

So my 13 going on 14 year old is mildly Autistic and has troubles with real and not real sometimes. Needless to say he is a firm believer and even after clues and cues he isn't changing his mind. Pretty sure my 6 year old will figure it out before my oldest finally accepts it. Not saying its wrong or right but it has made for some interesting conversations with his friends....I told him its better to keep your beliefs and non beliefs to yourself sometimes.

Heroic Warrior
    out of spite make one for him next year.

Why?
    1. Why not?
    2. for old time sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    It's a sad deal, but our eleven year old Max today announced that he now knows the Easter Bunny isn't real. Our routine in the past was that we'd all get dressed for Mass and as we were leaving I'd say I forgot something and will meet them at church. After Kim and the children leaf, I'd race around the house setting up the baskets and hiding Easter eggs.

No more.

Can the Tooth Fairy and Santa be far behind? And don't get me started on my spreading glitter all over the floors in our home and writing lyrical notes from Faireena the Tooth Fairy to Max.

Kim tells me I have to let it all go because if Max still believes in all of those wonderful icons as a teenager he'll end up on Dr. Phil. Still, a part of me is sad. Peter Pan had the right idea: cryogenically freeze kids when they are eight.

Years later, when Alex got older and started to suspect, one Christmas he told Zoe, "Did you ever notice how Dad always has to leave the house to go buy paper towels just before Santa gets here?" Fortunately, I overheard this and arranged with our next door neighbor to pose in my Santa costume on that Christmas. As always, on Christmas Eve I still told the children I had to go into town to get paper towels and I saw, with satisfaction, that Alex winked knowingly to Zoe. I left the house and ten minutes later my next door neighbor came in wearing the Santa costume. The children watched from hiding as he laid out presents. 'Santa' was in the middle of this when I came back in the house in my regular clothes with the package of paper towels. Alex looked to Santa, looked to me, looked to Kim and went all slack-jawed. It was good enough for him to believe in Santa for another two years.

It's years later and now we've had an amazing couple come as Mr. and Mrs. Santa each Christmas Eve to do the job. Believe me, they are Mr. and Mrs. Santa. We still all hide behind the curtains to watch, me with Kim and the children now. Alex and Zoe know the deal now, but Max still believes in Santa and I'm happy to have him believe for as long as possible. Heck, I'm seventy and I still believe!
    This is awesome.

I tried very hard to re-kindle the magic Christmas always held for me. My kids are too old now but it's still our favorite holiday. I find myself being somewhat anxious for grand kids to come along and enjoy Santa once again.
    We canít pretend that the Trump Presidency is this weird anomaly that we can just kind of recover from by returning to the old normal. We are where we are because normal didnít work. - Pete Buttigieg

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    That is so awesome Mr. Jack, and so touching. I wish our father was so festive and merry and childlike as you (not saying you are childish, of course, you just know and understand how children's minds work). We love our dad, but we would have been over-the-moon if he had gotten into the spirt of things in our childhood and did those wonderful traditions you do.

Our routine in the past was that we'd all get dressed for Mass and as we were leaving I'd say I forgot something and will meet them at church. After Kim and the children left, I'd race around the house setting up the baskets and hiding Easter eggs.
    So would you make it to church shortly after? You did say you'd "race" around the house, so I assume so, lol.

And don't get me started on my spreading glitter all over the floors in our home and writing lyrical notes from Faireena the Tooth Fairy to Max.
    Wait. There's an adult who exists who LIKES glitter???
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; April 23, 2019 at 09:29am.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Definitely I'd make it to Mass afterwards. Kim would reserve my seat and I always made it five minutes before Mass would begin.

As for glitter, you name the color and I've got vials of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    That is so awesome Mr. Jack, and so touching. I wish our father was so festive and merry and childlike as you (not saying you are childish, of course, you just know and understand how children's mind's work). We love our dad, but we would have been over-the-moon if he had gotten into the spirt of things in our childhood and did those wonderful traditions you do.

So would you make it to church shortly after? You did say you'd "race" around the house, so I assume so, lol.

Wait. There's an adult who exists who LIKES glitter???

As for glitter, you name the color and I've got vials of it!

Wow, glitter seems to be one of those things that universally people love as children but get annoyed by/frustrated at as adults, LOL.

Hope you got some photos of "Faireena's" work!
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I always lead the trail from Max's pillow, out of the bedroom, down the hall, into the bathroom and around the sink so we show that Faireena is checking on his brushing habits. Once in a while I have fun putting a bit of glitter on the toilet seat and in the toilet bowl. Hey, when Nature calls... This always cracks up Max. Not so much for my housekeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post

Wow, glitter seems to be one of those things that universally people love as children but get annoyed by/frustrated at as adults, LOL.

Hope you got some photos of "Faireena's" work!

I always lead the trail from Max's pillow, out of the bedroom, down the hall, into the bathroom and around the sink so we show that Faireena is checking on his brushing habits.
    Haha, bonus parenting point there!

Once in a while I have fun putting a bit of glitter on the toilet seat and in the toilet bowl. Hey, when Nature calls... This always cracks up Max. Not so much for my housekeepers.

Don't make him mad though....

*Warning! Minor Language!!*

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Don't make him mad though....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgffcCf_ajQ

*Warning! Minor Language!!*
    -

When our Alex was four-years old he watched E.T. the Extraterrestrial. At the end of the film he was inconsolable that E.T. 'went home'. He moaned, "I don't want E.T. to go home! I want him to stay!" Upon reflection we realized this was the first live action film he had watched. As opposed to animated films, because E.T. was live action he was convinced it was real. For weeks we had to spread our Reese's Pieces on our front steps in an attempt to lure E.T. back. Eventually I wrote a long note in 'alien handwriting' explaining that 'I' went home because I missed my family but that some day I would come back and visit. That did the trick...but we went through an awful lot of Reese's Pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    When my sister and I were kids we would cut up mushrooms and spread the pieces over the back lawn to "feed the Smurfs". It's funny what goes on in the minds of children.

For weeks we had to spread our Reese's Pieces on our front steps in an attempt to lure E.T. back. Eventually I wrote a long note in 'alien handwriting' explaining that 'I' went home because I missed my family but that some day I would come back and visit. That did the trick...but we went through an awful lot of Reese's Pieces.
    Haha, that's cute.

I wonder though, did Alex ever pester you and Kim asking WHEN he would come back to visit?? lol