Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IT Chapter 2 (2019)

IT Chapter 2 (2019)

I'm looking forward to this as i always enjoyed the book and mini-series and liked 2017's film, but to be honest i always felt the adult part of the book and mini-series was better than the kid one in the mini-series, 2017 adaptation and novel as i've seen kids vs monsters done better before in The Monster Squad, The Gate and others as i feel the adults going on an adventure feels much fresher.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Looks pretty good. I enjoyed the 2017 movie. I wasn't to keen on the original TV miniseries, but I only ever watched it once over 10 years ago, must rewatch it. The book was pretty good but a bit slow.

That looks terrifying! I did not watch the first one, I cannot bring myself to do it. I read the book (in secret) when I was nine or so. I was absolutely terrified of it. So much so that I threw it down our basement stairs and it landed behind them (they were open). It sat there behind stuff until the house was sold and my Father wondered how it got there. I ended up finishing it in high school and watched the original movie. It was no where near as terrifying as this new one looks to be.

PS. Old ladies are SUPER creepy - LOL!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    That looks terrifying! I did not watch the first one, I cannot bring myself to do it.
    I haven't seen it either, just a few glimpses of clips, but knowing how graphic it is, I wonder how parents feel about watching that grate scene with Georgie at the beginning and what happens to him.

I read the book (in secret) when I was nine or so. I was absolutely terrified of it.
    Oh wow...after watching the mini-series on TV as a kid, I put the novel on my Christmas list, but surprise surprise, it didn't show up under the tree for me, LOL.

That's funny about the legacy of the stairs. I'm curious, since it freaked you out so badly as a child, what made you decide to finish it in high school?? lol
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    That's funny about the legacy of the stairs. I'm curious, since it freaked you out so badly as a child, what made you decide to finish it in high school?? lol
    I lived with some step family in High School (because I was emancipated at 13, but still needed a place to live). My step Grandfather had a HUGE horror collection. Everything in hard cover, which is probably how I became a hard cover snob. He had every Stephen King book known to man kind and Dean Koontz too, so I read them all. It took me a while to get up the courage to finish IT, but I wanted to see how it ended. To this day I think of the bathroom sink scene in the book when I brush my teeth, that book just sticks with you.

- - - Updated - - -

I will say this, Stephen King has a really dark soul or something to write some of the things he does. They are haunting. There are only two books though that really freaked me out when I was younger, IT and Summer of Night (not a King book). Up to Dream Catcher (which is crap) I read everything he ever wrote. He is pretty twisted.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

My step Grandfather had a HUGE horror collection. Everything in hard cover, which is probably how I became a hard cover snob.
    Haha, I prefer hardcover too, when possible.

He had every Stephen King book known to man kind and Dean Koontz too, so I read them all.
    So regarding entertainment, I guess in your youth you had more than enough depravity via books, lol.

I will say this, Stephen King has a really dark soul or something to write some of the things he does. He is pretty twisted.
    Regarding that, sometimes I wonder about people who are partnered with someone who is a self-acknowledged HORROR FREAK or super-horror writer, or are all about HORROR on their online profiles. I just wonder, could I sleep comfortably and peacefully beside someone in bed with a mind like that?? LOL
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

You should watch the 2017 movie.

Regarding that, sometimes I wonder about people who are partnered with someone who is a self-acknowledged HORROR FREAK or super-horror writer, or are all about HORROR on their online profiles. I just wonder, could I sleep comfortably and peacefully beside someone in bed with a mind like that?? LOL
    Right? LOL! I used to love the genre when I was younger, but as I get older and it gets more graphic I get more squeamish. Being a parent now I do not think I could go back and read/watch Pet Cemetery. I think being a parent has really changed me (for the better).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    You should watch the 2017 movie.
    Before my brother passed he tried to convince me to watch it. He loved horror. He used to post creepy clown videos, gifs and pictures on my FB wall - LOL!

Sorry to hear about your brother. Perhaps watching it would be a nice way to honour him.

That image of the person tearing at their heavily make-upped face, causing it to stretch, is horrifying. Is that Pennywise?

I haven't seen it either, just a few glimpses of clips, but knowing how graphic it is, I wonder how parents feel about watching that grate scene with Georgie at the beginning and what happens to him.

Oh wow...after watching the mini-series on TV as a kid, I put the novel on my Christmas list, but surprise surprise, it didn't show up under the tree for me, LOL.

I read the book at 9 going on 10 the year after the mini-series debuted and thought it was a scary novel!

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    That image of the person tearing at their heavily make-upped face, causing it to stretch, is horrifying. Is that Pennywise?
    Yes it is Pennywise.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; May 12, 2019 at 08:54pm.

I'm no father, but still, aware of that scene through a spoiler, I censor myself to watch it. I've seen the movie multiple times, it is a great film, mix between horror and 80's Spielberg flavour, but I skip that scene as I don't want to have that image in my head. I can handle several others, realizing it is fiction, but not with children.

I haven't read the book, but I love the "woman in the painting" scenes in the first part of It; although I think that are originally designed for the movie.

Is the creature from It tied in a larger scope to King's Dark Tower universe? I heard that actually the creature is the opposite of Maturin, the Giant Turtle
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I'm no father, but still, aware of that scene through a spoiler, I censor myself to watch it. I've seen the movie multiple times, it is a great film, mix between horror and 80's Spielberg flavour, but I skip that scene as I don't want to have that image in my head. I can handle several others, realizing it is fiction, but not with children.

I haven't read the book, but I love the "woman in the painting" scenes in the first part of It; although I think that are originally designed for the movie.

Is the creature from It tied in a larger scope to King's Dark Tower universe? I heard that actually the creature is the opposite of Maturin, the Giant Turtle
    I've read the book, one of my fave horror/fantasy books growing up after i saw the miniseries. Maturin the turtle is Pennywise's enemies and one of the elder gods. The turtle is what help the kids in the 2017 adaptation, miniseries and novel.

Georgie's death was nothing compared to Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer and The Toxic Avenger which both have much worse child murder shown in them and both are cult films that aren't mainstream a

s Henry has that horrifying scene where Henry and Otis breaks into a family of 3's house as tare filming a personal home movie of their own within the film hey attack the mom and dad and the young boy who is trying to run away until Otis gets the kid then breaks his neck in front of his mother, OMG that home invasion scene and film shocked me when i was 12 when i rented it after heating good things about it in magazines from the last 4 years before 94 even Fangoria to siskel and ebert who gave the film two thumbs up as it's definitely not a movie suitable for mainstream audiences as it was rated X originally for it's brutality but released unrated in theaters in 1990 despite the film was made in 1986 and shown in film festivals from 86 to 89, it stars Michael Rooker in a chilling performance as the title murderer. Hell i even The Toxic Avenger which i rented when i was 9 as i liked the cartoon series, had some toys and all shocked the hell out of me yet that horrifying scene where a gang of criminals who hit and run people over especially kids at night who spot a young boy on a bike as they hit him then they see him still moving as he's badly hurt crawling then they back up the car as we see the boy seeing the car screaming until the car bust his head as we see it in detail then after they killed the boy they go out to take pictures of the busted headed corpse for the sake of "fun" as that scene made me sick as a kid and was like "they made a kids cartoon and merchandise out of this movie?", well despite that horrifying scene the film was awesome for a b-movie superhero horror film yet luckily Toxie took care of those child murderers, any murderer, criminal, rapist, heroine pushers and all in the film.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; May 15, 2019 at 08:48pm.

I will say this, Stephen King has a really dark soul or something to write some of the things he does. They are haunting. There are only two books though that really freaked me out when I was younger, IT and Summer of Night (not a King book). Up to Dream Catcher (which is crap) I read everything he ever wrote. He is pretty twisted.
    I have read an essay of his concerning why he thinks people like horror literature, where he says it is literally "to scare the hell out of us" - in other words, to help us work through those negative, dark things knocking around in the back of our heads. That's also why he writes it. A lot of the stuff in his early books comes out of a long struggle with substance abuse. He doesn't even remember writing "Cujo", for instance, he was that wasted. Some of it comes from fears he had when his children were small. "Pet Sematary", for example, comes from a time when his son almost ran into the road, and he had nightmares about what might have happened so he tried to "write it out". Some of this stuff... well, even he wouldn't be able to tell you exactly where it came from. "It" kind of falls in that category - somehow he just caught lightning in a bottle there.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Hmmm, what are the "woman in the painting" scenes? I don't really remember that from the TV mini-series.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Georgie's death was nothing compared to Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer and The Toxic Avenger which both have much worse child murder shown in them and both are cult films that aren't mainstream
    I kinda wish you had put some sort of spoiler alert there about going into graphic details.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    A lot of the stuff in his early books comes out of a long struggle with substance abuse. He doesn't even remember writing "Cujo", for instance, he was that wasted.
    He was on stuff?? Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Some of it comes from fears he had when his children were small. "Pet Sematary", for example, comes from a time when his son almost ran into the road, and he had nightmares about what might have happened so he tried to "write it out".
    Interesting...but that doesn't meant we all wanna share in it, lol.

I can definitely understand the whole idea of 'writing it out.' I wrote some of my best short stories in college trying to get out nightmares or flash backs or odd things that plagued me. It was very therapeutic!

Does anyone consider Pennywise/IT to be a Lovecraftian creature?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Does anyone consider Pennywise/IT to be a Lovecraftian creature?
    Lovecraft was definitely one of King's inspirations, so to some extent that is exactly what IT is. The "spider" is as close to what the human mind can conceive of as IT's true form without going crazy and the part of IT that we see is only a small part of the totality of the being. Definitely Lovecraftian ideas there.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, what are the "woman in the painting" scenes? I don't really remember that from the TV mini-series.
    That wasn't in the mini-series, and TBH I do not remember anything like that being in the book either. Although there was another book of his, "Rose Madder" that dealt with similar themes to Beverly Marsh/Rogan's story arc in "It". There was a woman in a painting in that. Maybe the producers of the movie put it in as an Easter egg.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Now this part of the story i can't wait

I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch it. The first trailer was SO freaking creepy - LOL! Out of curiosity I want to watch the movies, but I am not sure I can handle it.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch it. The first trailer was SO freaking creepy - LOL! Out of curiosity I want to watch the movies, but I am not sure I can handle it.
    My wife is not much of a horror fan but she went to see It and enjoyed it. It's definitely part of the "kids on bicycles" subgenre, which she likes, so that kind of won her over. One of the things that we discussed about the film which I think might make it more watchable is that it offers plenty of scenes that are genuinely funny and charming. The kids are funny and quite fun, so you'll get something terrifying, then some scenes with some comedic relief, then something terrifying, then some comedic relief again. It helps to make the film more enjoyable and less anxiety ridden.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

im pumped!... Trailer looks fantastic!
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    My wife is not much of a horror fan but she went to see It and enjoyed it. It's definitely part of the "kids on bicycles" subgenre, which she likes, so that kind of won her over. One of the things that we discussed about the film which I think might make it more watchable is that it offers plenty of scenes that are genuinely funny and charming. The kids are funny and quite fun, so you'll get something terrifying, then some scenes with some comedic relief, then something terrifying, then some comedic relief again. It helps to make the film more enjoyable and less anxiety ridden.
    Thank you for this. I read the book several decades ago and it has still stuck with me. I made the mistake of watching the first teaser trailer for part two and I had a few nightmares that I was being attacked by a creepy old lady - LOL! A lot of horror movies are just meh to me, but It really gets in my head.

Thank you for this. I read the book several decades ago and it has still stuck with me. I made the mistake of watching the first teaser trailer for part two and I had a few nightmares that I was being attacked by a creepy old lady - LOL! A lot of horror movies are just meh to me, but It really gets in my head.
    If you like Stranger Things, you will like IT 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    If you like Stranger Things, you will like IT 2017.
    I LOVE Stranger Things