Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Season Three is coming August 2nd! Geena Davis As Huntara

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    Splitting one season into 2 parts helps Netflix to keep subscribers for as long as possible and as others said the wait between seasons is shorter. It's a smart business move.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe some people genuinely enjoy some 80's shows and don't think they're as bad as you say.
    No there are a ton of early 90's shows I have nostalgia goggles for that were probably crap. But him saying there was no artstic merit to shows made after his golden period does indicate a bias.

Weather one thinks the Filmation MoTU and PoP are good show overall is arguably a subjective thing. But saying they had good animation quality is objectivly wrong.

And this isn't some giant praise for the Netflix She-Ra, I've made it pretty clear that I think it's a solid show, but ultimatly nothing special.
    Last edited by A Dalek; August 18, 2019 at 08:24am.

But saying they had good animation quality is objectivly wrong.
    Rose coloured glasses or not 80,s POP is superior animation quality to this one .

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Rose coloured glasses or not 80,s POP is superior animation quality to this one .
    No. It has superior art. You are confusing art quality with animation quality.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    No there are a ton of early 90's shows I have nostalgia goggles for that were probably crap. But him saying there was no artstic merit to shows made after his golden period does indicate a bias.

Weather one thinks the Filmation MoTU and PoP are good show overall is arguably a subjective thing. But saying they had good animation quality is objectivly wrong.

And this isn't some giant praise for the Netflix She-Ra, I've made it pretty clear that I think it's a solid show, but ultimatly nothing special.
    You've said that before. Barring the inclusion of techniques developed after the shows were made, how exactly was the animation objectively bad? There's a major difference between "objectively bad" and "doesn't stack up well to later examples." Neither Transformers: Beast Wars or ReBoot are poor CGI, Transformers Prime and Guardian Corps. just had better technology to work with.

My point of contention though isn't a lamentation of quality, it's a lamentation of quantity. Because with some of these newer shows, as soon as you start to feel invested in the characters, the show has run its course and then you never get to see them in new stuff again (unless you've a mind to do fanfiction). Given computers did cut the costs for producing animated shows significantly, and like anything else improve in quality the more practice and effort is put into it, its annoying they seem to consciously be limiting the amount of episodes they make. Especially if the idea is to encapsulate a single fanbase, then have a new product ready to air when they get too old and a new age group comes along.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    You've said that before. Barring the inclusion of techniques developed after the shows were made, how exactly was the animation objectively bad? There's a major difference between "objectively bad" and "doesn't stack up well to later examples." Neither Transformers: Beast Wars or ReBoot are poor CGI, Transformers Prime and Guardian Corps. just had better technology to work with.

My point of contention though isn't a lamentation of quality, it's a lamentation of quantity. Because with some of these newer shows, as soon as you start to feel invested in the characters, the show has run its course and then you never get to see them in new stuff again (unless you've a mind to do fanfiction). Given computers did cut the costs for producing animated shows significantly, and like anything else improve in quality the more practice and effort is put into it, its annoying they seem to consciously be limiting the amount of episodes they make. Especially if the idea is to encapsulate a single fanbase, then have a new product ready to air when they get too old and a new age group comes along.
    The characters had an extemley limited range of expressions and movements. Everyone move in a rigid unatural manor. Things lie a sense of motion and boddy language weren't convayed. None of the characters ever realy looked they fit into the backgrounds and didn't convay the illusion of them moving on a 3D plane.

The only decent looking movements the characters made were the rotoscopoing shots, but they tended to get resued way to often (eg that shot of He-Man punching the camera).

It did to it's credit had nice art and looked good in still images and their art should be praised. But in motion it left alot to be desired.

I don't think the amount of episodes they make really holds up as a reason for those limitations, I mentioned Precure earlyer that show has had 50 episodes a year for 16 years straight and while it does use alot of animation shortcuts (stock footage transformations and attacks getting used to pad out episodes and not so great animation in the talking scenes) it is still able to have fast paced action scenes.

Nor do I think technologicle limitations of the time are the reason. Shows that came out only a couple of years later had better animation quaility as did several cartoons that predated it (sometimes by decades).

I think it was simply because Filmation were a notoriously cheap animation studio.
    Last edited by A Dalek; August 18, 2019 at 06:21pm.

No. It has superior art. You are confusing art quality with animation quality.
    I agree with you here.

The characters had an extemley limited range of expressions and movements. Everyone move in a rigid unatural manor. Things lie a sense of motion and boddy language weren't convayed. None of the characters ever realy looked they fit into the backgrounds and didn't convay the illusion of them moving on a 3D plane.

The only decent looking movements the characters made were the rotoscopoing shots, but they tended to get resued way to often (eg that shot of He-Man punching the camera).

It did to it's credit had nice art and looked good in still images and their art should be praised. But in motion it left alot to be desired.

I don't think the amount of episodes they make really holds up as a reason for those limitations, I mentioned Precure earlyer that show has had 50 episodes a year for 16 years straight and while it does use alot of animation shortcuts (stock footage transformations and attacks getting used to pad out episodes and not so great animation in the talking scenes) it is still able to have fast paced action scenes.

Nor do I think technologicle limitations of the time are the reason. Shows that came out only a couple of years later had better animation quaility as did several cartoons that predated it (sometimes by decades).

I think it was simply because Filmation were a notoriously cheap animation studio.
    The word you're looking for is "frugal," not "cheap," my friend. Filmation was making cartoons specifically for television, which is one of those limits. The characters emotes quite nicely. You could see the emotions play across Skeletor and Hordak's face quite easily despite the lack of fluidity they would naturally have had. Shoulders slumped when a character felt discouraged, etc, etc. Did it rely heavily on recycled animation? Yes. But it wasn't horrible animation for television, especially when many of the older animation examples did have movie-style budgets to work with.

I like them both for different reasons.
    I like the designers much better in Filmation.
    But, i like the brighter, crisper colors in Dreamworks.

Now that is good casting.

Huntara in the original reminds me of Grace Jones in aspects.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Clownfish TV keeps speculating that She-Ra is cancelled. Does anyone else think that it's nonsense? Literally nothing hints at cancellation.

Clownfish TV keeps speculating that She-Ra is cancelled. Does anyone else think that it's nonsense? Literally nothing hints at cancellation.
    Most I've heard is its complete, which is markedly different from cancelled

I dunno if thats the same website . My little brother said he was surfing the net looking for info about the new HeMan and came across some article claiming that people involved with Dreamworks She Ra were looking for work .

Assuming its true and not click bait . Thats never a good sign .
    Last edited by Lokus; August 23, 2019 at 11:26am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I dunno if thats the same website . My little brother said he was surfing the net looking for info about the new HeMan and came across some article claiming that people involved with Dreamworks She Ra were looking for work .

Assuming its true and not click bait . Thats never a good sign .
    Everything I've seen from Clownfish makes them come across like clickbate to me, so I wouldn't pay them any mind.

I doubt the shows doing amazing, but clearly has a decent sized fanbase. There's also the fact that the nature of the deal with Netflix likley means it wouldn't be canceled even if it was doing poorly.
    Last edited by A Dalek; August 23, 2019 at 01:07pm.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Nahh, it could keep going for at least 10 seasons! or mini seasons if you wish. Lots of new (young) fans are going nuts for the show!
    Revelation will not be aimed at kids but for an older audience. MOTU will do eventually have a kiddie show, perhaps soon after the 1st movie

Princesses are the new ponies (hopefully)
    Good luck to the mighty Princess of Power!
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Thank you, Tallstar.
    Literally no one thought that the show can be cancelled here, but some sites picked up Clownfish TV's story.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Everything I've seen from Clownfish makes them come across like clickbate to me, so I wouldn't pay them any mind.

I doubt the shows doing amazing, but clearly has a decent sized fanbase. There's also the fact that the nature of the deal with Netflix likley means it wouldn't be canceled even if it was doing poorly.
    I've never watched a Clownfish video, but after looking through some of their titles and reading some of their comments section, I get the impression that their agenda on this is more about promoting a (false) narrative than actually disseminating factual information. I'm not sure which scenario is worse: being a youtube channel that talks about this type of stuff and not having any idea how the Netflix deal actually worked (despite the fact it's fairly common knowledge), or knowing that the entire series is already finished and lying about it to further ones hate campaign.

Exclusive: ‘She-Ra’ showrunner Noelle Stevenson talks crossroads and fractured relationships

https://www.hypable.com/exclusive-sh...nson-season-3/

- - - Updated - - -

Khev, thank you for points that you made and information you provided about OG She-Ra VS Netflix's She-Ra controversy in a different thread.