Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do your loved ones like your Classics collection?

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Some very sweet and at least one infuriating story here...

My wife thinks it’s cool. I do customs, and she can’t tell the difference between ones I’ve customized vs stock figures, which is cool I suppose. But then she’ll show my collection to a guest and she goes “and he made ALL THESE” which makes me feel like a fraud lol.
    That is so cute and sweet how proud she is of you! No needcto feel likexa fraud because she can’t tell the difference in her excitement!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    Before we were married, my wife to be was supportive of my toy collecting. She even looked for stuff at Target/Wal-Mart she knew I was looking for. If she found vintage Star Wars, GI*JOE, Transformers, etc. at a yard sale she’d pick it up for me. One year for my birthday she got me a vintage Star Wars Power of the Force Storm Trooper Luke.

...Then we got married...

Within the first year, she said she was sick of hearing about toys and never wants to hear me speak about them again. She buys all the crap she wants but fusses if I spend even a few bucks on a toy. She has thrown toys away. She has taken toys back to the store. She actually fussed that I spent a gift card I got as a gift on toys for myself because she wanted to use it for herself. When she wanted to clear up some space, she put 2 boxes of toys outside in the shed where they were exposed to extreme temperatures for 2 years until I found them. One of those boxes contained all my 200X MOTU figures.

My kids got into the Filmation He-Man and She-Ra cartoons when they were young. But they didn’t express much interest in the toys.
    WOW, dude. I really feel for you. Sounds like you really walked into a con job. Hope it's worth it. Maybe you should give her an ultimatum, you either collect MOTU or girlfriends. Her choice, LOL.

Court Magician
    I'm lucky to have a very eccentric family, so they don't cast any shame my way for the things that I buy. In fact, I blame my brother and mother for getting me into figure collecting, each at different times in my life and each of them expressing high levels of enthusiasm in the process. My brother is especially responsible, since he goaded me into scouring every Big Lots in town so we could each secure our own Moss Man figures, a childhood favorite of ours. Before the Big Lots deals I never knew about Classics as a line, and over the decades had only bought maybe 3 figures prior as an adult, so my mentality was, "alright, I'll get this one figure, it's all I will need." Ha! Just about 200 Classics figures later...

I don't think my sister or my father "get" it as I wish they would, because they are very much the same type of person that doesn't collect tangible things in a hobbyist fashion. But my father was blown away by what I had shown him online of Hot Toys and the remarkable face sculpts they have (I might even one day get him a Captain America one at some point!), and my sister enjoys the sight of miniature things, so they have expressed a level of appreciation for toys in general that more than makes me okay with them seeing my stuff.

My friends (all of whom at this point are the life-longers and trace back decades to my childhood years) are familiar with my collection and are often times amazed with and geek out at the oddball things that I buy. Some of them are blown away by the various properties that get amazing modern renditions, while others just enjoy the beautiful sculpts and engineering, so it's cool to see that reaction from non-collectors. None of them really care about MOTU like my brother and I do, so they more gravitate towards the gaming and import figures I own whenever they stop by, but they've never said anything negative about all the small plastic muscle men in fur loincloths that I have scattered about.

Quote Originally Posted by TAAO View Post
    WOW, dude. I really feel for you. Sounds like you really walked into a con job. Hope it's worth it. Maybe you should give her an ultimatum, you either collect MOTU or girlfriends. Her choice, LOL.
    That sounds nice in theory but she’s crazy, she’s a really good liar, she’s vindictive, and she’ll do anything to get her way. When her mother left her husband, she made up all kinds of stories about him abusing her and their kids and she got child services on her side. I have no doubt that my wife would do the same. I’ve already accepted that when my wife decides she no longer needs me she’ll kick me to the curb. I just hope and pray it’s after my kids turn 18. So I’m not going to do anything to provoke her to leave me now.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I'm going to just refer to this as my entire toy collection cause they feel the same about my classics as all the other figures I have.

My fiance puts up with it. My dad and step-mom think it's kind of neat and check it out sometimes when they visit.
    My mom would make the same "grow up" comment every single time she came over 'til I finally had enough with her and went off on her.

I've made some pretty cool Mortal Kombat dioramas that I've sold for decent money so my mom and fiance are starting to respect that aspect toy collecting, but I think they both would rather me stop the hobby and do something more "normal" with my time and money.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

I've been collecting various figures/dolls since I was 11 (1990). I'm single & have no kids so I don't have anyone telling me what I should & shouldn't be spending my money on.

I think because my collection is soo large (around 3500 figures), people are pretty in awe of the sheer amount I have around the house....well, I only have MOTUC & my old Playmates Trek figures on display these days, but that takes up an entire built-in wardrobe.

I think my mother may have shaken her head at me a few times over the years, but she does love to come to my flat with all the grandkids & look around.

My brother, sisters & friends have always loved the toys. My dad has never said anything either way...but he seems glad I have some kind of hobby!

I haven't updated my collection pics in a long time so they are pretty out of date, but here they are for anyone interested:

Various toys
    http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=62011

Star Trek
    http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68710

My parents think it's weird and don't have an clear indication of the scope of my MOTU collection. I think my Dad is a little like "uh, weren't you done with He-Man like 30 years ago?"

My sister thinks it's cool, but I can she's wondering why I'm still collecting. Same with my younger brother. My older brother thinks it's stupid, but he's a jerk anyways lol.

My wife is fine with it, though it's been the source of some frustration over the years. I know she has a hard time justifying my spending on it -- especially with Snake Mountain coming out.

My daughters used to be a lot more interested but these days, I think I'm just annoying them with it.

~W~
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Snake Mountain stands, Wind Raider, and the Griffen

My wife kind of knew what she was getting into when she married me 22 years ago and slowly started seeing my collection grow and grow. She tolerates it mostly but gets upset when I go overboard, which is understandable When she sees me looking at the org, she always asks: "What new toy is coming out?" or "What are they outraged about this time?"

My kids don't really seem too interested and they just see it as dad's "thing". They are all girls so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.
    We are kind of detached from the rest of our family since I have been a Marine for over 20 years now, so we constantly move a lot so they really don't know and I have never met another Marine that has the same hobbies/interests as me, so kind of friendless too lol
    Instagram: toysgotme

Quote Originally Posted by Artistix View Post
    I've been collecting various figures/dolls since I was 11 (1990). I'm single & have no kids so I don't have anyone telling me what I should & shouldn't be spending my money on.

I think because my collection is soo large (around 3500 figures), people are pretty in awe of the sheer amount I have around the house....well, I only have MOTUC & my old Playmates Trek figures on display these days, but that takes up an entire built-in wardrobe.

I think my mother may have shaken her head at me a few times over the years, but she does love to come to my flat with all the grandkids & look around.

My brother, sisters & friends have always loved the toys. My dad has never said anything either way...but he seems glad I have some kind of hobby!

I haven't updated my collection pics in a long time so they are pretty out of date, but here they are for anyone interested:

Various toys
    http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=62011

Star Trek
    http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68710
    Wow what an impressive collection! Excellent variety. Those Smurfs really got me giddy!

Some wonderful stories have been told so far, so just giving this a bump as it’s gotten a bit lost in all the recent exciting news!

I got back into collecting about 2 and a half years ago with Lego...and then Funko...Star Wars Black Series...and MOTU stuff of course, including vintage figures and Loyal Subjects.
    My "Classics" collection will be a huge THREE once I get the '87 Skeletors and Slime Pit He-Man, but put it all together, in a very small place where it surrounds me on every side, and I basically live in a toy room; there's no discreet cave in the back where I can hide my colourful shame (and joy).

I'm also an artist and my large, colourful paintings cover almost all available wall space. So, again...as a whole, it's a lot! But I love it and try to manage it well, or at least better than I did to start with. And of course, occasionally questioning what the hell I'm doing.

Friends have gotten used to it. Some love it, some haven't seen it recently . My Mom...well, she knows a little but she will definitely not understand the money spent!

Overall it's something I enjoy a lot and while I understand if other people don't "get it", it's about more than just stuff. The community aspect of collecting and fandom, the coming together of people from all different backgrounds can be really amazing. And I work hard and take care of my responsibilities (crossing a few budgetary lines on occasion), I don't drink a lot or eat out often or spend money on other habits...so...toys it is!
    Last edited by ersatz.kate; June 17, 2019 at 01:28pm.